• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Ranger Battle Tactics

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
Ok, so when I started off Herocraft, I thought, "Hey, being a Ranger sound sooooo cool. I bet I'll be able to slighter armies!"

. . .

Yeaaaaaaaaa. Doesn't really work that way....

I finally learned how vulnerable I am yesterday when I was slaughtered many.... MANY.... times by @xMJay . Didn't make me feel too hot. So I decided to ask the community. What is the best tactic for an almost Mastered Ranger to fight with. And don't tell me, shoot him off before he gets too close. Tried that with xmjay. He edged most of my arrows while his buddy @iTrollup came for me with Caster tricks.

So yeah, what are the best binds, Macros Binds, Skills, and axe/bow battle tactics should I use to avoid getting slaughtered every time I see a Warrior rushing after me like a wounded bull?

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
Ok, so when I started off Herocraft, I thought, "Hey, being a Ranger sound sooooo cool. I bet I'll be able to slighter armies!"

. . .

Yeaaaaaaaaa. Doesn't really work that way....

I finally learned how vulnerable I am yesterday when I was slaughtered many.... MANY.... times by @xMJay . Didn't make me feel too hot. So I decided to ask the community. What is the best tactic for an almost Mastered Ranger to fight with. And don't tell me, shoot him off before he gets too close. Tried that with xmjay. He edged most of my arrows while his buddy @iTrollup came for me with Caster tricks.

So yeah, what are the best binds, Macros Binds, Skills, and axe/bow battle tactics should I use to avoid getting slaughtered every time I see a Warrior rushing after me like a wounded bull?
Best advice I could give. Never melee a pally, and get the highest knockback enchants you can find.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Ranger can shoot people in the face enough and with skills 100-0 them before they touch them, unless Prot IV. The trouble is lag and people are good strafers, but you still should be competitive.

However, once their are two targets, Ranger cannot rely on their Basic Attacks to keep their range, they MUST kite.

In the fight you outlined above, I would have started the warm up on AimedShot for the caster, then a quick shot on xMjay to stop his sprint engage, then focus caster. Use ExplosiveShot ASAP or when they are grouped. Once Explosive and Aimed have gone off on Caster, you should also have landed a few basic arrows, All on Caster. The caster is now kiting, and you have taken some decent damage. xMjay has reached you and his melee is making it impossible to hit the kiting Caster.

You need to reset your kite with a quick I-volley and grapple away. If xMjay is a goon, worry less about kiting bc you won't get away, focus caster hard. Repeat DPS rotation on Caster until dead.

that is just one way to do that fight and it doesnt include all the tricks, but focus Caster while trying to keep xMjay off of you. xMjay is a strong melee fighter and he really knows his disengage, so focusing him first isn't an option unless you want to chase him off and then turn to the caster. Do not chase a fleeing xMjay unless he is the last one alive, you will give too much free damage to their team while he pulls 1000 and 1 boats out of his ass pocket.

edit: For soloing Warriors, there's Punch I or Punch II.

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
Run turn shoot when they get Close I Volley (as Dsa calls it) Explosive and Grappling away! Also Shooting Does not interrupt aimed shot warm up..

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
Also you can start AimedShot while camouflaged. Its the most OP defensive engage in-game, you are invisible until you do 250 armor piercing Damage.

Thanks so much for this. I will keep this thread open for other suggestions, but you have definitely help. I would give more likes if I could, but I can't. Thanks. And contrary to what I said last night in my rage, I don't intend on hunting xMjay down until I'm maxed and have my berserker and dread knight buddies with me.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
+1 for Lightnings info
I will add
  1. It's very hard to 1v2 as a Ranger
    1. If you must 1v2 then you must have a Punch2 bow and most likely will need to fight in water.
  2. Rangers can beat any Melee class, but if that Melee class is using Protection 4 armor from head to toe your arrows will only be doing 30ish damage, which will make it very hard.
  3. Good Wizards are very tough to fight as a Ranger ;) I think I was 3 - 8 or something :(

Tactics and things to consider -
Needed tools-
  • Punch 2 Bow + Normal Bow.
  • Diamond Axe .
  • Protection 4 Armor - Head to Toe if possible as 16 points of Prot armor is -16 off the final amount you take per hit
  • Instant Health 2 Pots. - This quickly heals a couple hundred HP
  • Thrown Poison Pots. - Use on 1-2 player groups. Makes it nearly impossible for them to sprint.
  • String, Sulpher, Compass(if you are hunting.)
Main skills at range -
  • Ice Arrow - Good delayer to allow you to get off an AimedShot
  • Envenom - Adds about 12 damage to each left click attack. Not as helpful with bows but can be used to help maximize damage.
  • Exploding Arrow - Easy to hit the ground near them for a quick 100 damage
  • Aimed Shot - Massive armor piece damage
    • Combat at ranged - Single target
      • Using your normal bow at a distance, lead with an Exploding arrow to get in the 100 damage when it's normally harder to land an actual arrow, shooting the ground will often be better as there is less of a chance of your arrow missing. Once the Exploding arrow has gone off, land an Ice Volley to get the slow on them and immediately start using an aimed shot. While Aimed Shot is charging you can shoot normal arrows so let off a normal fully charged arrow using your punch2 bow for a little extra damage and another slight delayer. After the in between arrow has been loosed Aimed shot is typically charged and ready to be fired, your opponent will also usually be on top of you at this point. By now if you landed the Exploding/Aimed/Normal arrow you should have done about 350 damage giving yourself a hardy lead.
    • Combat in Melee - Single target
      • Almost always prefer Ranged - Hit them once with your Axe, then Kick them, Then Axe(200 damage) them then Maim them then whip out your Punch 2 bow and hit them twice with it and now they are at ranged again. You want to keep them close enough to easily land arrows but preferably not close enough to hit you so switching between a Punch2 bow and a normal bow is essential.
    • Combat against Multiple attackers - Two+ players if very difficult to manage and PoisonPots and a Punch2 bow is required to try to keep them slowed and off you. Mobility classes will make your life hell and while you are entangled it will be near impossible to aim. Pick your fights when possible and grapplehook away. One combo that is harder to pull off but decent is Grapple-hook the enemy squishy into you Kick/Maim/Axe and then use the Punch2 bow to smack them back away, but it's all so situational. Use WATER anytime you can manage. Punch2 them into water and then use your normal bow until they start getting close, while grappling them if they start to escape in water.
I am no pro but it's all about maximizing damage at range and trying to juggle your targets.
Punch2 is required..​

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
+1 for Lightnings info
I will add
  1. It's very hard to 1v2 as a Ranger
    1. If you must 1v2 then you must have a Punch2 bow and most likely will need to fight in water.
  2. Rangers can beat any Melee class, but if that Melee class is using Protection 4 armor from head to toe your arrows will only be doing 30ish damage, which will make it very hard.
  3. Good Wizards are very tough to fight as a Ranger ;) I think I was 3 - 8 or something :(

Tactics and things to consider -
Needed tools-
  • Punch 2 Bow + Normal Bow.
  • Diamond Axe .
  • Protection 4 Armor - Head to Toe if possible as 16 points of Prot armor is -16 off the final amount you take per hit
  • Instant Health 2 Pots. - This quickly heals a couple hundred HP
  • Thrown Poison Pots. - Use on 1-2 player groups. Makes it nearly impossible for them to sprint.
  • String, Sulpher, Compass(if you are hunting.)
Main skills at range -
  • Ice Arrow - Good delayer to allow you to get off an AimedShot
  • Envenom - Adds about 12 damage to each left click attack. Not as helpful with bows but can be used to help maximize damage.
  • Exploding Arrow - Easy to hit the ground near them for a quick 100 damage
  • Aimed Shot - Massive armor piece damage
    • Combat at ranged - Single target
      • Using your normal bow at a distance, lead with an Exploding arrow to get in the 100 damage when it's normally harder to land an actual arrow, shooting the ground will often be better as there is less of a chance of your arrow missing. Once the Exploding arrow has gone off, land an Ice Volley to get the slow on them and immediately start using an aimed shot. While Aimed Shot is charging you can shoot normal arrows so let off a normal fully charged arrow using your punch2 bow for a little extra damage and another slight delayer. After the in between arrow has been loosed Aimed shot is typically charged and ready to be fired, your opponent will also usually be on top of you at this point. By now if you landed the Exploding/Aimed/Normal arrow you should have done about 350 damage giving yourself a hardy lead.
    • Combat in Melee - Single target
      • Almost always prefer Ranged - Hit them once with your Axe, then Kick them, Then Axe(200 damage) them then Maim them then whip out your Punch 2 bow and hit them twice with it and now they are at ranged again. You want to keep them close enough to easily land arrows but preferably not close enough to hit you so switching between a Punch2 bow and a normal bow is essential.
    • Combat against Multiple attackers - Two+ players if very difficult to manage and PoisonPots and a Punch2 bow is required to try to keep them slowed and off you. Mobility classes will make your life hell and while you are entangled it will be near impossible to aim. Pick your fights when possible and grapplehook away. One combo that is harder to pull off but decent is Grapple-hook the enemy squishy into you Kick/Maim/Axe and then use the Punch2 bow to smack them back away, but it's all so situational. Use WATER anytime you can manage. Punch2 them into water and then use your normal bow until they start getting close, while grappling them if they start to escape in water.
I am no pro but it's all about maximizing damage at range and trying to juggle your targets.
Punch2 is required..​

I love you guys. Now I feel less helpless.

Now I only wish someone like @Ahrall could make a showcase for it. It would give me a visual, but all of this informs me a little more. Thanks

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
If I did not say Punch2 enough....

When using a Punch2 bow the knockback is not reliant on how charged the bow is, so you can draw back for .5 seconds and still send them flying 6+ blocks

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
If I did not say Punch2 enough....

When using a Punch2 bow the knockback is not reliant on how charged the bow is, so you can draw back for .5 seconds and still send them flying 6+ blocks

More awesome advice! And THAT is why I am following you.

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
ALSO if your EVER fighting a decent druid/cleric/bloodmage (well mostly druid) will need to melee them with kick/maim or Try to land a ton of arrows before they get in range to ire/smite/siphonblood.

Ahrall

Legacy Supporter 5
Well then you are in luck! Next video is Pyromancer which will conclude the casters (I'm not going to look into beguiler/shaman yet as the classes seem to be undergoing some big changes)
Then it's the rogue tree starting with: Ranger! So about a week or two and ranger will be covered

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
Well then you are in luck! Next video is Pyromancer which will conclude the casters (I'm not going to look into beguiler/shaman yet as the classes seem to be undergoing some big changes)
Then it's the rogue tree starting with: Ranger! So about a week or two and ranger will be covered

Thank you! This has made me a better archer in the extreme.

Avoir

Obsidian
TBH, as a ranger you shouldn't bother fighting against anyone with prot 4, you're arrow damage is pure crap plus you need to aim and charge the arrow. Rangers don't have enough dps or arrow damage to kill anything with prot.

PS: Grappling hook and get the hell out of there buddy.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
TBH, as a ranger you shouldn't bother fighting against anyone with prot 4, you're arrow damage is pure crap plus you need to aim and charge the arrow. Rangers don't have enough dps or arrow damage to kill anything with prot.

PS: Grappling hook and get the hell out of there buddy.
Say you ARE fighting someone with prot iv armor, just keep using grapplinghook and spamming explosiveshot/aimedshot.

720 No Scope for a 1 Hit KO.
A 720 degrees spin should generate enough momentum
to shoot your arrow with speed and power to pierce your opponent.
The No Scope is so that you don't waste any energy scoping in and this way
you are using all your energy and momentum efficiently!
If your opponent is a tank (Paladin), you can always go over board and try to
do a 1440 degrees no scope. That should be more than enough power!
You can also add in flourishes to make you look cooler like, jumping and then
doing your turn and no scope, you can do it while your on fire to make you look more
sexy or you can even try doing a vertical 982 backflip-turn-no scope.
If you have any problems aiming, you should practice with 45 degree turn and then
slowly progress onto higher degree spins.
Good Luck.

Avoir

Obsidian
Say you ARE fighting someone with prot iv armor, just keep using grapplinghook and spamming explosiveshot/aimedshot.
You will not have enough damage to kill the person, remember those skills are not really spamable, aimed shot is easily interrupted, and explosive shot only does around 100 dmg that's if you land it.

SurvivalManZ

ICE ICE ICE!
true, most cases for ranger its run.

You will not have enough damage to kill the person, remember those skills are not really spamable, aimed shot is easily interrupted, and explosive shot only does around 100 dmg that's if you land it.

Thats kinda the problem. I have this problem where if I see an enemy, I refuse to run… Kinda like my "refooze to looze" shirt… I never run. I guess it's just one of my traits. But if I have to, I will, I guess.