• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

PSA: Invulnerability Timer

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Got tired of constantly explaining it in O chat so decided to get it all typed here :p

What is the "Invulnerability Timer?"
The Invulnerability Timer is a vanilla MC mechanic that prevents people from getting spamed with damage.

How does it work?
Every time you take any vanilla damage (This includes: Fall damage, melee, bows, fire poison, etc) you are immune to all damage for 0.5 seconds. This is easily noticeable since no matter how fast you click, you can only attack someone so fast. This is also visible when at times, if a person is on fire and you shoot an arrow at them, the arrow just bounces off.
How is this a problem?
Like I said since it prevents damage from occurring, having 2 people melee a person is actually useless. Only one person would be able to attack that person (So pro tip, if you and a buddy are meleeing a guy, don't attack if you know you have less damage than him).

Is there a way to bypass this?
Yes and it has to deal with hero skills. Unlike vanilla damage, skills ignore the Invulnerability.

Invulnerability
Timer and how it affects team fights:
As I said, no matter how many times you attack a person, you can only attack them twice a second. The same is true for the amount of people attacking one person. So this means having a bunch of melee-oriented classes in a party is ineffective. This is untrue with spell-based magi since they only use skills.

Last edited:

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
Got tired of constantly explaining it in O chat so decided to get it all typed here :p

What is the "Invulnerability Timer?"
The Invulnerability Timer is a vanilla MC mechanic that prevents people from getting spamed with damage.

How does it work?
Every time you take any vanilla damage (This includes: Fall damage, melee, bows, fire poison, etc) you are immune to all damage for 0.5 seconds. This is easily noticeable since no matter how fast you click, you can only attack someone so fast. This is also visible when at times, if a person is on fire and you shoot an arrow at them, the arrow just bounces off.
How is this a problem?
Like I said since it prevents damage from occurring, having 2 people melee a person is actually useless. Only one person would be able to attack that person (So pro tip, if you and a buddy are meleeing a guy, don't attack if you know you have less damage than him).

Is there a way to bypass this?
Yes and it has to deal with hero skills. Unlike vanilla damage, skills ignore the Invulnerability. Not only that, they actually reset the timer. This was a major reason to why Samurai was such a OP class in the past. The constant skill damage from it's bleeds allowed people to "Machine Gun" you.
An example on how DOT damage affects melee:
How Melee Normally Works:
0.5 Seconds: X
1.0 Seconds: X
1.5 Seconds: X

Melee With DOTS:
0.5 Seconds: X damage
0.5 Seconds (DOT Tick): X damage
1.0 Seconds: X damage
1.5 Seconds: X damage.

Invulnerability
Timer and how it affects team fights:
As I said, no matter how many times you attack a person, you can only attack them twice a second. The same is true for the amount of people attacking one person. So what this means, having a bunch of melee-oriented classes on a party is ineffective. This is untrue with spell-based magi since they only use skills.
Was I lied to then? I was told back when I was still a BTeam member that this was fixed and the reason samurai was originally reworked and removed was because it was no longer fitting in the current system. I mean I may have misread something that was said, but that's no excuse for the reason I was given for Samurai's removal.

So one of two things are happening here.
A: This is old news that has been fixed and you are misinformed
or
B: I was lied to and among my other reasons to quit, I can add one more.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Was I lied to then? I was told back when I was still a BTeam member that this was fixed and the reason samurai was originally reworked and removed was because it was no longer fitting in the current system. I mean I may have misread something that was said, but that's no excuse for the reason I was given for Samurai's removal.

So one of two things are happening here.
A: This is old news that has been fixed and you are misinformed
or
B: I was lied to and among my other reasons to quit, I can add one more.
From what I can tell it was never "fixed." It was "Sorta" fixed in a sense and I'll PM the thread I'm referring to. I think the "fix" is that DOT skills where changed to deal more damage, but less frequently.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
From what I can tell it was never "fixed." It was "Sorta" fixed in a sense and I'll PM the thread I'm referring to. I think the "fix" is that DOT skills where changed to deal more damage, but less frequently.
That was a fix Kain pushed to see if it could be worked around, it just ended up making samurai bad and then we went to an in-between that we ended up sticking with for the rest of the map.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
@Delfofthebla claimed to have made all skill damage trigger the invulnerably timer.
This was done quite a long time ago.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Skills have no effect on the invulnerability timer anymore. I fixed this at the start of Haven. (Naomi's skills might, I haven't checked all the shaman stuff) but it shouldn't unless Naomi is using NMS code.

All skills work through the invulnerability period, but no longer refresh or remove it. You can consider it to be an entirely vanilla effect now. The invulnerability period only poses a problem for vanilla actions, such as melee and arrows. The "machine gun" effect this allowed certain skills to cause can no longer occur.

Last edited:

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
@Delfofthebla claimed to have made all skill damage trigger the invulnerably timer.
This was done quite a long time ago.
IIRC it damages then sets it back to the last known state.
Though the damaging itself still ignores it.

NOTE: Seems the forum saved this post as a draft but didn't post it. This was intended for earlier in the conversation.