• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Plugin] Lumberjack

Shadoram

Legacy Supporter 7
Sometimes I do not take enough time to get my Swedish thinking into right English wording
Hovever, I would love to see the wild more prestine and the world looking better for each week.
I fight hard down in the south the keep my jungle free from floating trees.

Northac

Obsidian
I think its kind of a neat idea, while it does change how you farm wood a little the basic premis is the same. My question is this, if the wood blocks fall down to replace the one taken, what happens to the leaf blocks?

chrisxzpyro

Stone
I think its kind of a neat idea, while it does change how you farm wood a little the basic premis is the same. My question is this, if the wood blocks fall down to replace the one taken, what happens to the leaf blocks?

Well, basically you cut from the base of the tree and the wood from the top breaks first. Eventually there is no more wood touching the leaves so they naturally start to disappear on their own. Its almost exactly the same except you wont need to jump on dirt blocks to get the last bits of wood. Just think of it as cutting the tree down from the top to the bottom.

MoeJunur

Staff member
Legacy Supporter 9
There is an issue with this.
it might replant a sapling, but what about the extra sapling drops trhat are used in alchemist items as reagents.
there would be no more of those.

just looking at tha other side on this plugin.

Guardian787

Legacy Supporter 9
I think having the blocks drop is a good idea to eliminate ugly floating trees, I do not think the saplings should automatically be replanted because that takes away from the RP and wouldn't work well with the server. Trees fall down in real life when you cut them but they don't replant themselves. Now it would be ok IF OVER TIME the saplings spread similar to how leaves and seeds spread over time from the trees in RL.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
There is an issue with this.
it might replant a sapling, but what about the extra sapling drops trhat are used in alchemist items as reagents.
there would be no more of those.

just looking at tha other side on this plugin.
I don't see why the leaf blocks still wouldn't drop saplings. One is just planted when it is cut down.

iTzDeXy

Legacy Supporter 6
A custom version of this plugin for the server would be helpful, maybe have it so over time tree tops with out logs below it decay or something that takes the "laziness" away from the plugin itself which wouldn't be to hard to create if the creator of the plugin released the source.

Not to mention that plugin is buggy as hell, you chop 1 tree and it takes out 2 around it, you chop the bottom and nothing happens, etc.
Its a good base idea but by itself I dont think it would work to well with the current plugins on HC and the way everyone plays HC.

chrisxzpyro

Stone
A custom version of this plugin for the server would be helpful, maybe have it so over time tree tops with out logs below it decay or something that takes the "laziness" away from the plugin itself which wouldn't be to hard to create if the creator of the plugin released the source.

Not to mention that plugin is buggy as hell, you chop 1 tree and it takes out 2 around it, you chop the bottom and nothing happens, etc.
The first idea sounds good as well. I think either way people are lazy when it comes to cutting tree's down. If they do decide to cut all of it they always leave dirt towers stacked 5 blocks high. I think making an already easy task 'easier' isn't really a big deal, and it pays off in the long run with a pristine server.
Hmmm. All the tree's I cut down worked perfectly fine. I haven't encountered that bug.

TwoWattWaffle

Legacy Supporter 3
No, Dragongarde isn't a failure. I love it so much that I do my part in taking down abandoned and unfinished houses, plugging holes in the ground, and replanting trees. But like you said about the towns replanting trees around their area, I can only do it around my area / my area's graveyard. I think DG deserves to have its forest biomes intact.

Ive been doing what I can also, but its not enough. I terraform an area, plant trees where ever I go, and claim unused eyesores. Usually I claim something, tear it down, and then come back a month later and someone else has moved in and built a gravel box home that they abandoned.

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
The plugin itself are a great idea, but I don't think it would fit well into this map...
As you said @chrisxzpyro, it will just make an easy task easier...
That is in my eyes to encourage to lazyness.
ALSO.
If you read the comments on the bukkit forum, tons of them are saying they got errors whit different plugins, and If you haven't noticed do we got tons of plugins on HC.
You said you have tested it, but I guess that was in vanilla?

As some people said, it will kinda ruin the RP and saplings are important for alchemists and other.
And if you want to plant a tree where it isn't already a tree you'l need a sapling.

A costum verson of this would be great as someone said.
It could despawn logs in trees if they aren't in contact whit ground for x amount of time.
It could also automaticly replant saplings if nobody picks them up in x amount of time.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Fun story, I used to work as an arborist's assistant. Believe it or not, the upper half of trees do not remain floating when you cut them at the trunk. Since there is no plugin that yells "timber!" and repositions the tree in a line on the ground like a real log, I think this would be a realistic addition.

Is realistic good? I say yes. I have seen lumberjack plugins that are much too easy on other servers, this one doesn't seem to be too enabling for lazy players or damaging to the wood economy. Other servers have it or an easier plugin, which isn't what we want but does allow for people to spend time actually playing and having fun rather than cleaning tree tops or dealing with petitions.

It's more realistic, it solves a major problem with landscaping, and frees up mod/staff time/player(whoever cleans up the floating trees) time.

Are we gardeners or gamers?

chrisxzpyro

Stone
The plugin itself are a great idea, but I don't think it would fit well into this map...
As you said @chrisxzpyro, it will just make an easy task easier...
That is in my eyes to encourage to lazyness.
ALSO.
If you read the comments on the bukkit forum, tons of them are saying they got errors whit different plugins, and If you haven't noticed do we got tons of plugins on HC.
You said you have tested it, but I guess that was in vanilla?

As some people said, it will kinda ruin the RP and saplings are important for alchemists and other.
And if you want to plant a tree where it isn't already a tree you'l need a sapling.

A costum verson of this would be great as someone said.
It could despawn logs in trees if they aren't in contact whit ground for x amount of time.
It could also automaticly replant saplings if nobody picks them up in x amount of time.

It's a solution to laziness, it doesn't encourage it. But you still have to cut down all the logs yourself so I don't see how its lazy in the first place.
The realm I tested it on actually had many, many plugins. I found it in the Spout server list, its "*******.******.com". You can test it there if you would like. You can't say it isn't going to work with our plugins because it hasn't even been tested here.
I don't know how it would ruin the RP as jumping on dirt blocks to get to the branches you can't reach on floating tree isn't realistic in the first place...
You're misunderstanding, the saplings still fall from the tree after you chop it down as the leaves still decay normally. Yes, a custom plugin would work great, but that takes much more time and resources.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Don't post other servers, and whatever, maybe not this but would love a solution to the current ugly floating forests.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
This plugin would cause lag on the server, on any server really. If someone decides to break the bottom of a huge playermade tree, it could crash the server. Oh, and it makes it hard to decorate a playermade tree. Lorien f.eks would be fucked.