• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Pathfinder- the Dungeon and Dragons like game

Have people start off at level one or five? (read my reasoning below)

• One

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Five

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Either

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
After hearing a few people talk about how they would want more roleplay on the server I've decided to host a short adventure on herocraft. I'm willing to help out those who are interested in playing but have yet to play a pen and paper game before, it certainly is a bit confusing at first. Feel free to ask questions and even throw in a few suggestions! Currently I am working on an area in herocraft where the adventure will take place, I "should" be finished building by the end of this weekend! Mind you, I have no idea how well this will go so please be understanding~

I can't decide if I want to have people start off at level one or five, I'd really like feedback on that. Feel as if too many builds are boring to play for the first three levels.

Any non third party class/race is allowed. I'm also willing to work with people who wish to create their own race (though it must be approved). Please keep the min/maxing to a minimum. A back story is preferred but not required. You can either roll for your attributes or use a 25 point buy system. Archetypes are also allowed. All characters need to be approved before being used for play. The most important thing, don't make your character stupidly strong/annoying.

A list of classes http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes
A list of races http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races
A useful program for building characters (unable to download from it currently) http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/03_get_pcgen.php
An uploaded version of the windows pcgen http://www.megafileupload.com/deSs/pcgen60401_win_install.exe

1-5 = 1
6-10= 2
11-15=3
16-20= 4
21-25= 5
26-30= 6
31-35= 7
36- 40= 8
41-45= 9
46-50= 10
51-55= 11
56-60= 12
61-65= 13
66-70= 14
71-75= 15
76-80= 16
81-85= 17
86-90= 18
91-95= 19
96-100 = 20
1-10= 1
11-20= 2
21-30= 3
31-40= 4
41-50= 5
51-60= 6
61-70= 7
71-80= 8
81-90= 9
91-100= 10
1-13= 1
14- 25= 2
26-38= 3
39-50= 4
51-63= 5
64-75= 6
76- 88= 7
89-100= 8
1-17= 1
18-33= 2
34-50= 3
51-67= 4
68-83= 5
84-100= 6
1-25= 1
26-50= 2
51-75= 3
76-100= 4
1-33= 1
34-66= 2
67-100= 3
1-50=1
51-100= 2

I know the dice to /roll isn't perfect with some of the dice, this was the best that I could come up with though.

Last edited:

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
An update! Almost done with construction, the aim is to play next weekend!
Decided the starting level will be two, it's still fairly low and most classes don't have to worry about getting a second feat yet.

Last edited:

Pyrim715

Wood
Should be fun. Since you seem to have not done this before (based on your OP) and will most likely have newer players as well, you should start at level 1 to most of the rules / flow of the game. However, if it turns out that you have veterans, level 5 would be more suitable. You are right, some classes are frustratingly dull in the beginning, *cough* wizards *cough*.

Personally interested in what you have going on here. Might end up joining as well depending on the details, etc.

GOOD LUCK!

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
Thank you! I more of meant like it's completely new for me to try to host an adventure inside minecraft, I've Dm'ed a few times though I'm still on the newer side of things as far as that goes. Have a bit more experience as an adventurer xP

My line of thought right now is to place signs within an area of herocraft, they would have markings like r16. Based upon perception/whatever I decide at the time rolls I'll give them a description of what that sign is supposed to be. Because it would be taking place within herocraft I could have npc's give directions and make the party actually search for it rather then simply roll to see if they find it. I don't know how well stuff like that will be taken! Plus there is the whole converting a Dwhatever to /roll system which might confuse some people.

But yeah you're right, it probably would be better to start off with level one to make things a bit easier for everyone to understand!

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
Have you considered using Roll 20 for this?
That's what I've mostly used in the past, along with fantasy grounds, if it's too much trouble trying to play on herocraft then I'll probably end up using one of those programs once more.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
You've also have to consider the story. Will this be a ragtag group on their first adventure or a group who have some experience?

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I've played a good bit of D&D recently, I'll look into Pathfinder when I get some time.

I'll probably make a Human Bard named Endrance and then drown again (that's how my last D&D character went. My DM blindsided us with a pirate raid and they shot out boat and I drowned because I rolled a 1 on a dex throw to swim)

I recommend level 1 as it's easier for newer players to make a base character. Level 5 would allow you to get to some more interesting stuff sooner, though noobies probably would have a bit harder time.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
You could use herocraft for the exploration, and roll 20 for encounters/ and checks. Think final fantasy encounters. Secret doors and traps can be searched for in game where you switch over to roll 20, make the roll, then switch back. Use redstone traps/ doors for immersion. The encounters could have clues to winning in the herocraft layout you design which you could get creative with (such as attacking a pillar to collapse a cave then having a redstone bridge drop gravel to represent a detroyed roof). As to what lvl to start at, 5 is better. Starting at 1 sucks imo. Be sure to make secret areas look slightly different than the rest so they will know when to roll those search checks (if they notice it).

Last edited:

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
I've played a good bit of D&D recently, I'll look into Pathfinder when I get some time.

I'll probably make a Human Bard named Endrance and then drown again (that's how my last D&D character went. My DM blindsided us with a pirate raid and they shot out boat and I drowned because I rolled a 1 on a dex throw to swim)

I recommend level 1 as it's easier for newer players to make a base character. Level 5 would allow you to get to some more interesting stuff sooner, though noobies probably would have a bit harder time.
So many adventurers die when boats are involved xP
Pathfinder is basically a continuation of the 3.5 rule set of D&D, if you are familiar with that then you will already have a firm grasp of how pathfinder works.

You could use herocraft for the exploration, and roll 20 for encounters/ and checks. Think final fantasy encounters. Secret doors and traps can be searched for in game where you switch over to roll 20, make the roll, then switch back. Use redstone traps/ doors for immersion. The encounters could have clues to winning in the herocraft layout you design which you could get creative with (such as attacking a pillar to collapse a cave then having a redstone bridge drop gravel to represent a detroyed roof). As to what lvl to start at, 5 is better. Starting at 1 sucks imo. Be sure to make secret areas look slightly different than the rest so they will know when to roll those search checks (if they notice it).
I was considering that! But that would be a little difficult for people who don't have two monitors, plus from what some say minecraft already only runs at 20 frames per second for them. Those with olderish computers might struggle with multitasking, then again it might not matter based upon who ends up playing!

PCgen won't download for me...
I just checked and I can't download it either from their site right now. Suppose they are having some problems.... I still have the pcgen installer on my computer so I'll upload it, though I only have the windows version. I'll place the link in the links section!

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
So many adventurers die when boats are involved xP
Pathfinder is basically a continuation of the 3.5 rule set of D&D, if you are familiar with that then you will already have a firm grasp of how pathfinder works.
Oh perfect, that's what I started on. Should be fun.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm getting too excited for this. I keep thinking up lore for my character in my spare time...and I hate writing.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
It's such a great feeling when your feat selection Inspires your characters background.

barbas0l

Legacy Supporter 7
Retired Staff
Played so much 3.5, so much. Never tried pathfinder doh. I could spend hours and hours making characters, and love every second of it. 3.5 had epic shit tons of customization as well XD.