• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Outposts - what's feasible?

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
I like the idea of a live 'board' that shows the status of outposts, that could make it easier for everybody (except for the people coding it :p).

F

Falker57

Love it, Love it, Love it. I suggested something like this in a thread called ~"What minecraft raids are to Herocraft" or something. It got shot down because I did not clearly express how to do it like you did. I do agree that some steps are needed to be taken if people are not on since this is minecraft and not real life. People are not always "on" like they would be in real life. I think that this could completely take HC by storm and so many skills could be implemented that make raiding outposts much more fun. It would make HC even more dynamic then it already is.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
Wait, for capturing an outpost I thought the township that owned it got a bonus, such as coin every once in a while. Was that option trashed?

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
I was thinking of giving that coin to the mayor - to do with what he wants - also - to give an initial victory bonus to everyone involved in capturing said outpost. the victory bonus I was thinking would be about 50c.

the coins each day would be about 2c/hr. after the first day you'd make about half what the capture gave you, but if you held it, you'd make 98c, for 2 days. this price value is matching what ive seen in arenas last. However, it could be easily 250c victory coin, and like 5c/hr.

I believe this would depend on victory conditions, if player resistance is met, it might give higher rewards, if you only fight npcs, lesser rewards, also, the rewards are "low" to keep it from being abusable, along with the 24 hour cool-down to even re-take an outpost.

Remember, EXP probably won't be given, that's from just fighting mobs and players. The real bonus here is in the coins, and free items over time for holding down the fort, or so they say.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
IDK if this is allowed but I'm bumping this to attract more attention, and possibly so more people can read or perhaps add to it.

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
IDK if this is allowed but I'm bumping this to attract more attention, and possibly so more people can read or perhaps add to it.

Make it so Freelancer raiders, (those not part of a tower), could possibly attack the stronghold for some sort of loot. If 1 person can kill 2-4 people protecting a castle, they deserve a little something.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I like the idea of having iron golems defending the outpost for the team that captured it last, and forcing the invaders to kill them all (can be difficult) to capture it.

Because if it isn't like that it will be like raiding towns is today.

Town A gets attacked by town B when many members are offline
Town A plots against town B
Town A raids town B when many of its members are offline and destroys them
Troll, troll, troll,
Repeat

^Don't want that.

Iron Golems would give the defenders a better advantage too

Thejoker1177

Legacy Supporter 3
I like the idea of having iron golems defending the outpost for the team that captured it last, and forcing the invaders to kill them all (can be difficult) to capture it.

Because if it isn't like that it will be like raiding towns is today.

Town A gets attacked by town B when many members are offline
Town A plots against town B
Town A raids town B when many of its members are offline and destroys them
Troll, troll, troll,
Repeat

^Don't want that.

Iron Golems would give the defenders a better advantage too
The only problem is the coding :confused:

c12095

Holy Shit!
These ideas, while nice, are a little bit too far out of the box.

Outposts - Capturable world points
-Require specced professions to net rewards - Why would it take 1 specific man to walk up to a building when everyone guarding it is dead, just to own it?
-Capturable (but reset rewards to new player-group who captures it, so they have to reconstruct) - Reconstruct it how? Rebuilding? If so, that will lead to nothing but trouble.
-8-10 of these on the map - Why are there random magical outpost that grant supplys? These need a purpose.
-Possibly work for kingdoms? - This would give them a purpose, but how would you work capturing the tower? Would you have to transfer regions over to the group that has captured it? Or do they get a tower they can do nothing with?
-Themed Outposts? (but use maybe prebuilt structures? protected from griefing somehow?) - The region would be nessicary, however you wouldn't be able to do anything with the tower after you capture it, seeing as the region ownership would have to change many times day to day because of raiders.

Rewards
-money/day to kingdom/region owner (or head figure) - Free money is bad, if you have Kingdom, you should have the means to support yourselves
-money/capture to everyone from player-group that is victorious - How do you tell who is the victorius group here? Is it based on towns or partys?
-items being generated, such as lumbermills providing all 4 wood log types, mineshafts (artificial) providing resources. - Generated resourses always end badly.
-Mineshafts - that can be upgraded with the Miner profession to expand it's functionality to a more important profession. - How do you upgrade something you don't own? Or do you simpley mean more free resources?
-farms - obvious
-animal husbandry / research upgrades for coins on your outpost! - How would the research be granted to the tower owners in the first place?

HolyRane

Legacy Supporter 7
These ideas, while nice, are a little bit too far out of the box.

Outposts - Capturable world points
-Require specced professions to net rewards - Why would it take 1 specific man to walk up to a building when everyone guarding it is dead, just to own it?
-Capturable (but reset rewards to new player-group who captures it, so they have to reconstruct) - Reconstruct it how? Rebuilding? If so, that will lead to nothing but trouble.
-8-10 of these on the map - Why are there random magical outpost that grant supplys? These need a purpose.
-Possibly work for kingdoms? - This would give them a purpose, but how would you work capturing the tower? Would you have to transfer regions over to the group that has captured it? Or do they get a tower they can do nothing with?
-Themed Outposts? (but use maybe prebuilt structures? protected from griefing somehow?) - The region would be nessicary, however you wouldn't be able to do anything with the tower after you capture it, seeing as the region ownership would have to change many times day to day because of raiders.

Rewards
-money/day to kingdom/region owner (or head figure) - Free money is bad, if you have Kingdom, you should have the means to support yourselves
-money/capture to everyone from player-group that is victorious - How do you tell who is the victorius group here? Is it based on towns or partys?
-items being generated, such as lumbermills providing all 4 wood log types, mineshafts (artificial) providing resources. - Generated resourses always end badly.
-Mineshafts - that can be upgraded with the Miner profession to expand it's functionality to a more important! profession. - How do you upgrade something you don't own? Or do you simpley mean more free resources?
-farms - obvious
-animal husbandry / research upgrades for coins on your outpost! - How would the research be granted to the tower owners in the first place?
I likey

F

~Falker57~

C12 your post did help, but please provide constructive help. Bashing the ideas completely help but providing much better ideas is a lot more helpful. Outposts are a great way to bring back that roleplay raid aspect we had back in zeal. I find the magic of raiding in zeal has died down completely. There are very feasible ways of going about this.

A group of people can go to an outpost. This group starts at the gates. When they get near the outpost anyone who is a protector of the outpost is alerted of the Raid. They must rush over there. Meanwhile, the raiders are trying to hold down the outpost. They have to stay in the outpost for a certain amount of time. These "raiders" just means anyone who is not a protector. The leader of the raid would type a command, right click a sign w/e to signify they are raiding and to start the countdown. They have to hold down the outpost for half an hour - an hour. If the raiders do indeed get the outpost then the person who starts the countdown adds 5-10 people to the "protector list" these protectors get the rewards of holding down the outposts daily. Rewards will be given out by day not by hour or anything so that people have to hold it down for a day before they get any rewards. A broadcast could be given that tells the whole server that the raiders have conquered the outpost. The raiders cannot attack the outpost if no protectors are on/little protectors are on. If the protectors are inactive for 3 days they lose the outpost.

Now for rewards:
This is very difficult to work out. Hmm I do not know why you say free money is bad when tourneys give free money, voting gives free money, Lotterys give free money. I don't think free money is a bad way of doing it. If your argument is that free money is bad then there are many things on this server's economy you need to change.
There are other options like resources and such. I just don't know some resources that could be given out. Most likely things you get from just doing mob arena. Gold nuggets and gold ingots are given out at mob arena. That could be given daily in outposts.
Note: That this can be tweaked and edited by the dev team and Kainzo since they do know best and know what can be coded easily and what cannot. This is very doable. Just need some tweaks to the idea. That is what we are commenting on here for right?

Please provide your thoughts.

c12095

Holy Shit!
@~Falker57~

When I say "Free Money" I mean money that comes from thin air. Your example of the lottery, the lottery is literally a "Money Sink". The coins come in, 8c per ticket, from all the players. This money is then added up and given to the winner of the lottery. However I think the process most people don't seem to remember is that the lottery takes out around 30% of the winnings before being given to the player. You all think your really making money, but in the long term its just taking more money away from the economy because we have horders (Like myself) who stockpile coins instead of being lazy and spending it on any and everything I need. Now you might argue that Kainzo adding money to the lottery is considered "Free Money" however, its not. That money comes from the DHX, and the DHX gets its money from taxes among other ways. The money is simply being recycled.

I realize i'm coming across a little strong, but this is a very large idea you all have cooking here, and if you leave these big holes in your ideas, why should it be taken seriously? This is something that Kainzo has said he wants to consider being added, but if all you have is a half assed idea, it will take much longer where as if you lay out the scenarios here I believe you have a better chance of being taken serious something in the future. However this will most likely be a long time in the future, every bit helps.

EDIT: When you say

" The raiders cannot attack the outpost if no protectors are on/little protectors are on. If the protectors are inactive for 3 days they lose the outpost. "

That is a terrible idea, im sorry but if you guys leave the outpost alone, why should I not be able to attack it? After all an outpost is pretty much a base away from your main town. It's not ment to be as safe as a town and shouldn't be, otherwise it's not an outpost.