• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Organized "World PvP"

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Hey everyone!

I really enjoy world PvP - especially big team fights. Unfortunately, they are kind of few and far between. I would like to make this a more regular happening.

Minecraft by nature is a sandbox game. It really is what you make it. The Heroes plugin does add a lot to the experience, but it still up to the community to make it great. I want more world PvP, and I think that everyone else does too. My proposal is that each town/city/kingdom/guild that regularly PvPs should create their own "World PvP Arena".

A "World PvP Arena" should be designed to provide a fun PvP experience with all (most) the thrills/risks of world PvP. Each town, of course, would get to design their arena as they see fit, but they should try to make it fair. I have heard talks of these arenas, and there are a few ad-hoc ones (like the big artificial grass plain near EmberHollow, and the one currently "under construction" at Verstad), but I would like to make this an official thing.

At these arenas, towns/groups could challenge other towns/groups and lay out the ground rules ahead of time: team size, loot rules, etc. It would be on their honor to follow the rules. I think most PvPers would be willing to be temporarily honorable if it means more fun group fights. I regularly see big parties sitting in graveyards (I am not claiming innocence) that are just unwilling to go out and fight. The excuse is usually something like: "You have a full party and we only have 9." With this system, the two groups could agree to a 9v9 fight in one of the World PvP Arenas. In this example, the group with the full party would have to choose one of their members to sit-out for the fight. It would be ON THEIR HONOR to sit out.

With the structure of these arenas, more group fights would be encouraged, loot could still be won, and town/kingdom/guild pride and honor could be fought for.

I also envision towns/kingdoms/guilds regularly hosting PvP tournaments in their arenas, with forum posts inviting groups to register. The mods/admins do this occasionally, but it should be more frequent, and it's up to us to do it.

What does everyone think about this? Has this been attempted before? Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

Delfofthebla lumont I_Love_Miners STDs4YouAnd4Me Ellron23 xexorian joshtsai Dreamcycler XxSamdamanxX @pandaman7- Please assist me in tagging various leaders of active towns/kingdoms/guilds (I'm thinking TC/OS/EH/LO(?) etc.)

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
I like this. Instead of fighting on the Newerth plains we could fight in a kingdom arena. However, it won't be build soon as we have a couple of big projects already in progress.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Brilliant. I made a massive arena on the server I was on prior to HeroCraft. They too, used the hero plugin.

It worked flawlessly, and here's why; sub-regioned no PVP zones. The fighting stage itself was PVP. The hallways and warm-up area for each team was no-PVP, as were the spectator stands.

Although lwc costs/amounts were much different than on HeroCraft, I had it set up where there were rooms set up for the victor, who would have access an lwc chest to put their loot they just won and save it there until the end of the tournament.

In this aspect, it worked efficiently. Since we currently don't have the option to make no-PVP subregions, and personal regions are nowhere near arena sized, it would be a pretty dodgy option. Giving every town an extra 40x40x40 to put up an arena and have access to making no PVP subregions could solve this problem, but then you'd have to monitor that this space is being used as an arena and not a vault.

Incase anyone cares, I used to charge 12c per fighter, 10c going into the prize pool, 2c going to me.

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
I mean you could build the arena and have admins region it with noone on the region so it can't be used to store items.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I consider world PVP to be most usually unbalanced and very situational. While I do love it, it's rarely "fair". I'm all for more of it.

I think we will want to move the DUELING and ARENAS to a location somewhere in spawn or near a PVP pit so that players can practice or something.

Dreamcycler

Legacy Supporter 5
A pvp pit would be amazing. But the per organized team pvp fights are even better IMO

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
Yeah, I would love to see something like the spawn pits we had last map.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
STDs4YouAnd4Me - We wouldn't even have to make a complex "Safe Zone" area, it would be on the players' honor to refrain from fighting when they aren't supposed to. People could set up LWCs nearby if they wanted, just like anywhere else. Mainly I just want to see a system that can be used if people are just doing the "sit in the graveyard for an hour" thing. Organized tournaments would be cool too.

I was thinking - loot rules / deathchests: you would have to decide ahead of time if it's kind of a traditional World-PvP "continuous fight" where you can run back and try to get your deathchest if desired, or if you want to let the "round winner" take the contents of all deathchests. This is of course a small detail that could be worked out at the beginning of each fight.

Each town could also produce Runestones marked at their arenas :)

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
im going to make a post or reply about my ideas for this later when i get home, gotta rip out some carpet and tack strip today

Xhazed

Portal
Well if u just want to make an arena but with no safezone areas..... Im pretty sure u can make it ontop of your town as in the sky battle where only a wizard could get up to and gtp. But you would need to call for an admin to see if people from the town where the arena is built are trying to block deathchests or get up to pvp when the had already died. Well and for this there could be a new kind of mod or admin which would be the pvp admin who would be incharge of this stuff.

Drastikos

Legacy Supporter 3
Would be cool to have it like a Colosseum where people in the stands can watch, cheer and jeer.
Worked for Rome.

Would be nice to have little shop areas around the entrances too.
Sell gear for the fighters, and food for the audience. :)

Y

ytiggidmas

I don't even want to bother throwing my opinions on here because from what I've seen it's absolute waste of time.
Staff will make things the way they like regardless if it upsets the community or not.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't even want to bother throwing my opinions on here because from what I've seen it's absolute waste of time.
Staff will make things the way they like regardless if it upsets the community or not.

This is not staff-dependent (not my proposal at least). Do you want to see more than community organization (e.g. a plugin update that encourages World PvP)?

globjako2

ICE ICE ICE!
Or we could do regular KingOfTheHill event where the winners get prizes, so participation is common.
5-10 players are needed to cap a point.

This is easier than tournaments or scheduled fights because after the initial setup of the plugin, there is no need for staff to work to maintain it.

Obviously this won't get implemented because there are no sounds, pets, or fireworks involved. *snarky chuckle*

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Brilliant. I made a massive arena on the server I was on prior to HeroCraft.

I figured you'd be into this - you are always designing arenas for /col and /arena. We should get to work building Umbra's! Cameronduke suggested that you could build it above your city. This seems like it might be a good idea, but then the visitors' death chests won't spawn, which would make for a less neutral, less versatile arena. We already have griefing protection in HC anyway.

10v10 arena! Let's go!