• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New Feature: Mob Difficulty Scaling

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
not sure if this would work, but I have an idea for scaling health, xp, and such.

Here it is:
When a player hits a mob, its health scales to their combat level. Health is saved as a percentage, so if a mob is attacked and then the player leaves it after hurting it, if a player whose combat level is different from the previous player fights the hurt mob, it will scale to their combat level while sustaining the percentage of health it had.
This wont work.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
Still loving the idea, but I'm also a bit concerned about both the distribution of players (i.e. crowded spawn and barren outlands) and the viability of solo play. Don't get me wrong, I NEED an excuse to level with a party (since the exp drops so much once you add too many people), but if the mobs are literally too powerful for someone to kill solo, I'm not sure that'd be a good thing, lol. Not everyone has leveling buddies. And towns aren't always that helpful. My 2 cents.

Still love this though. It makes parties a much more viable way of leveling, in that they are needed to make it easier and gain greater exp.

Also, would this feature carry over into the PVE world?

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
I do like the idea, how you're trying to get people to work together, but what about the peope in diferent time zones or diferent play times? They often level alone, and I can see this becoming a bane to non-US timezone people. also 2K health is alot, especially when you consider that mobs usually spawn in groups of 3 or more...

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Still loving the idea, but I'm also a bit concerned about both the distribution of players (i.e. crowded spawn and barren outlands) and the viability of solo play. Don't get me wrong, I NEED an excuse to level with a party (since the exp drops so much once you add too many people), but if the mobs are literally too powerful for someone to kill solo, I'm not sure that'd be a good thing, lol. Not everyone has leveling buddies. And towns aren't always that helpful. My 2 cents.

Still love this though. It makes parties a much more viable way of leveling, in that they are needed to make it easier and gain greater exp.

Also, would this feature carry over into the PVE world?

2 dirt blocks + edge of map, here I come

Paul_Bakken

Obsidian
IMHO, the edgiest of the edge mobs should be OP Boss level mobs. Mobs that even a fully leveled specialized player would find impossible to take down alone. In addition to the renewable challenge offered to high level parties, these OP edge mobs would exert a soft, more realistic "barrier" effect than just the arbitrary 5000R world limit. Living on the edge would be VERY dangerous and challenging. Could be a lot of fun!

Solidze

Legacy Supporter 6
Still working on this - the math in some of the scaling is off and we're fixing up the equations.

Now I reviewed this and I have some concerns. Just curious you say "spawn", is this from the main spawn? Red flags flare here, only because there are many towns far from spawn. The newbies at each town are gunna be forced to stick around spawn to level early on instead of being near a safe haven (they're town), it seems like it might split the interaction with townsfolk. Have you possibly looked at making the GY's the "spawn", so each town will have a range difficulty for they're region, that way townsfolks can interact with each other a bit better? Each town can interact by making a training grounds, advanced grounds, elite grounds (lowest difficulty to hardest).

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Will Souls also scale? If I fight a mob at the edge, I'd like a slightly better reward.
Reward would be increased exp. I think that would be enough.
Again... The edge currently is "2300R" which is the "end of the map" - what do you think a "balanced" damage/health is for a mob at the "end game".

Think group focused.

I would like to see the same percent increase for mob damage and mob health. The reason is is a high health increase is biased against casters. While a high damage is biased against melee. A mob with high health, and low damage would be easier for a melee class than a ranged class because the range class would use a ton of mana to kill the mob. While a lower health, higher damage mob would be harder for a melee class than a ranged class. A ranged class could shoot a few spells and kill it without getting in in its range.

Maybe like a 20 % increase for mob, 20 % attack damage increase per 100 blocks. The increase should be to the point that it is a real challenge to kill a mob at the very edge of the map. The only mobs that are "easy" to kill should be around spawn. The reason is everyone can kill a mob thats really powerful. What would be cool is having mobs at the very edge that are impossible to kill unless you are high level/skilled. Lets get some real hardcore mobs :)

The 100 blocks near the edge of the map could be a separate. It could be much higher scale than the rest of the map. Basically lets say 20 % per 100 blocks of the map. Well the final 100 blocks could be scaled at 100%. the mobs would be twice as hard as the 100 blocks before! I want really challenging mobs!!

People might complain about the newbies not being able to kill some super powerful mobs, but it only takes a week or so to get a high level. Having challenging PvE part of the server would actually make more people want to stay on this server. What do you think kain?

Last edited:

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Not to anyone in particular but keep in mind that the percentages are following cumulative interest. So people may say 3% extra dmg is low, but then you see how much it grows at the edge of the map.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
Still working on this - the math in some of the scaling is off and we're fixing up the equations.
Now I reviewed this and I have some concerns. Just curious you say "spawn", is this from the main spawn? Red flags flare here, only because there are many towns far from spawn. The newbies at each town are gunna be forced to stick around spawn to level early on instead of being near a safe haven (they're town), it seems like it might split the interaction with townsfolk. Have you possibly looked at making the GY's the "spawn", so each town will have a range difficulty for they're region, that way townsfolks can interact with each other a bit better? Each town can interact by making a training grounds, advanced grounds, elite grounds (lowest difficulty to hardest).

That's what makes this change really interesting, in my opinion- if we'd had this implemented immediately when this map came into being, I think we would notice a much larger concentration of towns close to spawn. Instead, we have a lot of outter rim towns where it will be VERY dangerous to be a newbie. This may make things tougher on towns who are further out, trying to recruit new members- or, with the exp boost provided, it could be fantastic for some towns, having high exp mobs more easily accessible.

In the end, it comes down to the same thing it always has- you'll have an easier time with friends around to help you. I'm curious to see how it'll play out in the end.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I think this will be fun, but agree the drop tables should increase proportional to the mob difficulty if possible or being on edge of world wont have much luster once you and your buddies are all mastered.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
Every 100R from spawn they will gain 8% health, 3% power and 7.5% more exp
Um. Now that I actually look at the document, it seems the damage is on a 5% increase and the HP is at 7%
Are these still being tweaked? Have the final numbers been decided yet?
Sorry, just excited xD

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Um. Now that I actually look at the document, it seems the damage is on a 5% increase and the HP is at 7%
Sorry, just excited xD
Yeah I think that's what Kainzo ment when he said
I'm wondering if he's still sticking with the compound interest method (Exponential growth) or using a more simple/linear equation.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Sorry, just excited xD
We're seeing which will play out best.