• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New Feature: Mob Difficulty Scaling

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
I think one thing to consider is a lot of new players especially people oriented toward building and resource collection start their server life by making a beeline for the farthest away point so as to have less player interaction and less chance of having their base found.
Will these players now be face stomped by every zombie they happen to run into during their mining?

These players will either have to join a group, or learn to avoid mobs (not very hard at all) I like the idea of scaling mobs.

Also consider that once you have a base set up, you have super strong mobs to deter a lot of would be enemies (or slow them down at least).

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
I would LOVE to see this implemented. It sucks getting over run by spiders or a group of zombies and 1-3 skeletons in addition.
*edit - when playing solo

Last edited:

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
[quote="comfyfutons, post: 373705, member: 62084
Will these players now be face stomped by every zombie they happen to run into during their mining?[/quote]

Not sure about you but I've mined a lot in all areas of maps and have rarely run into any mobs in my mining tunnels. Now when you break into a dwarven mine or such you have to be wary but its not a big deal.

I think the higher level mobs should have lost soul skills such as Kick, Fireball, etc... So say an edge zombie approches you in its slow gait it is throwing fireballs (or iceballs) at you just like you are hitting it with range skills.

FuturizeHandgun

Glowstone
Health should be have that of a paladin, with some form of AoE, that effects the tanks fighting the mob. This should prevent the old, i run up, hit, and back out. Damage should be drastic, so that no single person would be able to kill it without others dishing damage and its HP regen should make solo fights redundant. Along with that, mobs at that range should have a resistance on basic attacks such as fireball, like undead fresh, which reduces basic magic effects by 30%(prevents people from spamming fireballs, and requires the use of other "mana consuming" skills or such. My idea is, I don't want 2 people at 2300R running around powerleveling, there rather should be 5-10 people going H.A.M. on one boss, trying not to die. Maybe even spawning silverfish to piss off everyone and attempt to distract them from killing the target mob. 2 cents.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I think no matter how they scale scale health / damage, they will need to have some abilities like the boss mod to be a challenge to all classes. Otherwise can just plink plink with bow all day long. Adding abilities is tough im sure though.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
This is now on test, however, the mobs arent spawning properly due to some test restrictions we'll need to lift (probably /spawnRule

comfyfutons

Glowing Redstone
Again... The edge currently is "2300R" which is the "end of the map" - what do you think a "balanced" damage/health is for a mob at the "end game".

Think group focused.

mobs could probably have 300% current health and 200% current damage torward the end of the map
200% experience

and maybe 50% current health and 75% current damage close to spawn
100% experience

teddytazer

Soulsand
Awesome change, scaling difficulty would be nice and allow lost souls to level a little easier. course the downside is more lowbies will be centered around spawn.. which the d-bag nub hunters will take advantage off. Great Idea, but I think it would be better on PVE server rathar then the RPG.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Awesome change, scaling difficulty would be nice and allow lost souls to level a little easier. course the downside is more lowbies will be centered around spawn.. which the d-bag nub hunters will take advantage off. Great Idea, but I think it would be better on PVE server rathar then the RPG.
I dont really see this happening - they'll still be able to have ruins and other spawns and when PVE hits, it'll balance itself nicely

AzenYumCha

Legacy Supporter 6
Another down fall. This will make it very difficult for towns near the edges of the map to admit players who are not max specced
Well, they'll have to join a town that is reasonably close to spawn. This will be beneficial for those towns as they are recruiting new players.

spiralz

Obsidian
Will Souls also scale? If I fight a mob at the edge, I'd like a slightly better reward.