• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New Feature: Mob Difficulty Scaling

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Greetings Heroes!
We are implementing a temporary fix for monsters in Herocraft. Here's how it will work.

First off, all monsters are being reduced in damage/exp/health. This is because the monsters immediately around spawn will be less severe and as you go further away from spawn they will increase in difficulty based on how far they are from spawn point.

This will be in for "live testing" and we will see if it is here to stay based on performance, user-friendliness and other factors.

Live document for balance:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApuC4DXz9lwndEk4M1hnZTA1SW5keHJNd1hnbHJ6eGc&usp=sharing

Every 100R from spawn they will gain 8% health, 3% power and 7.5% more exp
E7aQWX5.png

These numbers are being tweaked and it will be available on test very soon.

@Admins @Heralds @Wiki Team

Last edited:

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
It's an interesting step forward and it will definitely make lvling easier for higher lvls (At that point, there isn't enough mob).

ebilaxe

Legacy Supporter 6
When that map size increase comes, this is going to be sooo interesting.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
That's awesome. You can potentially get a huge exp reward from killing mobs, but with a much higer risk as mobs will be tanky as hell and deal lots of damage.

This might make things around spawn more lively. as lower levels will seek towards the weaker mobs. This makes it way more RPG like too.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
That's awesome. You can potentially get a huge exp reward from killing mobs, but with a much higer risk as mobs will be tanky as hell and deal lots of damage.

This might make things around spawn more lively. as lower levels will seek towards the weaker mobs. This makes it way more RPG like too.
Kainzo said in game there will be limits to health and EXP.
2200 hp
150 dmg
105 exp
for a zombie was the example/suggested max values.

spiralz

Obsidian
Will these values take effect on mobs that spawn at that distance or can a wandering mob become stronger as it moves farther out? I wouldn't expect the latter but I'm just curious.

szatanista

Soulsand
Idea is awesome but there's one minus with this. All new players are pretty much forced to exp near town. And Im 100% sure there will be few max out(65 lv) assholes that will hunt them for pvp ranking. And a lv 15 lost soul cant even dream of beating lv 65

Last edited:

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Another down fall. This will make it very difficult for towns near the edges of the map to admit players who are not max specced

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Another down fall. This will make it very difficult for towns near the edges of the map to admit players who are not max specced
Not really these mobs aren't that strong. If I was a low level I would be at the edges of the map getting the extra exp.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
just don't get hit by them, it is very easy to keep a group of zombies in front of you or you can just circle around them, and with skeletons just get them in a corner and they will rarely shoot you, the only mob I could see being a problem to new players is really a spider because of how fast it can go and climbing walls, but that also has ways to counter using terrain

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
just don't get hit by them, it is very easy to keep a group of zombies in front of you or you can just circle around them, and with skeletons just get them in a corner and they will rarely shoot you, the only mob I could see being a problem to new players is really a spider because of how fast it can go and climbing walls, but that also has ways to counter using terrain

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Idea is awesome but there's one minus with this. All new players are pretty much forced to exp near town. And Im 100% sure there will be few max out(65 lv) assholes that will hunt them for pvp ranking. And a lv 15 lost soul cant even dream of beating lv 65
They could exp with a group/party or level aorund nether/ruins or haven/shrine (when it comes out)

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
We will be able to tweak them - where do you think an "edge" zombie should be at in terms of health/dmg?

I think the health damage ratio is good, as upping the health just makes it more annoying to kill and the damage is already 10% of the strongest hero. What would make it tougher is if they had some extra movement speed somehow ;)

Weikauno

Coder
not sure if this would work, but I have an idea for scaling health, xp, and such.

Here it is:
When a player hits a mob, its health scales to their combat level. Health is saved as a percentage, so if a mob is attacked and then the player leaves it after hurting it, if a player whose combat level is different from the previous player fights the hurt mob, it will scale to their combat level while sustaining the percentage of health it had.

comfyfutons

Glowing Redstone
I think one thing to consider is a lot of new players especially people oriented toward building and resource collection start their server life by making a beeline for the farthest away point so as to have less player interaction and less chance of having their base found.

Will these players now be face stomped by every zombie they happen to run into during their mining?