• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Necromancer : Decay damage

Wifibee

TNT
Hello.

First of all, let me be clear about a thing : i'm new on the server and new on the necro class. My concerns are mainly for pve (at the moment).
I'd like to talk about the main problem i have with the decay spell : its damage.
More exactly, the necro damage in pve in general.

Decay does .. not a lot. it comes on par with bonespear (and bonespear damage is great, being a huge column piercing spell) .. and decay is way, WAY behind being useful.
Again, in pve.

The cooldown doesn't help being a single target dot and it barely does more damage per tick that the simple hoe in melee.
Do you think you could boost it a little bit for the pve side ?
At least i'm not fighting monsters from the "1000,1000 and above" kind of hp pool .. because otherwise it would need me to burn 2 full mana bars to kill anything with only this spell.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Hello.

First of all, let me be clear about a thing : i'm new on the server and new on the necro class. My concerns are mainly for pve (at the moment).
I'd like to talk about the main problem i have with the decay spell : its damage.
More exactly, the necro damage in pve in general.

Decay does .. not a lot. it comes on par with bonespear (and bonespear damage is great, being a huge column piercing spell) .. and decay is way, WAY behind being useful.
Again, in pve.

The cooldown doesn't help being a single target dot and it barely does more damage per tick that the simple hoe in melee.
Do you think you could boost it a little bit for the pve side ?
At least i'm not fighting monsters from the "1000,1000 and above" kind of hp pool .. because otherwise it would need me to burn 2 full mana bars to kill anything with only this spell.
I've seen many people posting that killing mobs is too hard, especially with some of the caster/healer classes, but the whole point of the mobs scaling hp is to start where you feel comfortable then move out. I don't think we would buff damage to a skill solely for pve mob killing, sorry.

Leveling up isn't really meant to be done alone either. I suggest finding 1-2 lower level people and grouping up with them.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
Necromancer has many DOT's.
These DOT's are great, decay does 100+ damage with a 8 second cooldown. Line all your DOT's together being, decay, drainsoul, plague and then a bonespear you do a hell tonne of damage. I see no problem with decay at all with it's damage and cooldown.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
get like 35 int as a necro and you will NEVER run out of mana as long as you drainsoul darkritual. you will also do insane amounts of dmg, decay already does tons and I don't see why it would need a buff

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Decay and Plague are the only 2 damage DoT a necro has.
Both are amazing.
In PvP those 2 combined with Famine is amazing.

DR is not a terrible skill (As I found out last map thanks to quite a few people) as long as you keep using Drainsoul (Which is NOT a DoT skill, it's an instant damage, just has a warm up).

You can cast Decay on a healer, then plague on his party + him. Suddenly he's taking DoT damage + any other damage from your bone spear or your allies.

Necro is in a good place.
As Irish suggested, stay a little closer to spawn at a low level, and try to take 1 - 2 friends along for the grind. Makes it a bit more fun.

*If there's one thing I can talk about, it's Necromancer :p*

Wifibee

TNT
Why do you call this dot amazing ?
Even with 50 int (meaning high lvl), you do more damage in melee per second and per hit at lvl 30 ..
Ever fought a skeleton that has 1600 hp ?
And also .. Jupiter .. seeing how much you whine on the chat ingame, i guess every class that isn't yours is op.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Why do you call this dot amazing ?
Even with 50 int (meaning high lvl), you do more damage in melee per second and per hit at lvl 30 ..
Ever fought a skeleton that has 1600 hp ?
And also .. Jupiter .. seeing how much you whine on the chat ingame, i guess every class that isn't yours is op.
As people stated earlier, don't fight a skeleton with 1600 hp until you are prepared.

In all honesty, I see a ton of people complaining about how "killing mobs is hard" and I don't really comprehend it.

Wifibee

TNT
The problem i see with this dot it its scaling.
When you first get it .. it ticks at .. 16 ? 17 ? it does low damage but okay, you're low lvl.

Later, at lvl 35 with a almost all you have in int .. it ticks at .. wait, what ? 21 ?
As i've said, at lvl 65, it will tick at 25.5 AT BEST .. when it comes to scaling, this really doesn't seem to pack quite a punch.
Maybe all caster classes have a problem with scaling damage from spell since there's no way to improve these spells.
There's no enchanting for int classes.

PewPewPewLasers

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
The problem i see with this dot it its scaling.
When you first get it .. it ticks at .. 16 ? 17 ? it does low damage but okay, you're low lvl.

Later, at lvl 35 with a almost all you have in int .. it ticks at .. wait, what ? 21 ?
As i've said, at lvl 65, it will tick at 25.5 AT BEST .. when it comes to scaling, this really doesn't seem to pack quite a punch.
Maybe all caster classes have a problem with scaling damage from spell since there's no way to improve these spells.
There's no enchanting for int classes.
On its own it does low damage, but that's intended. Necro is not a bursty mage, they use damage over time and kiting to take down enemies.

RShooter2000

ICE ICE ICE!
Decay and Plague are the only 2 damage DoT a necro has.
Both are amazing.
In PvP those 2 combined with Famine is amazing.

DR is not a terrible skill (As I found out last map thanks to quite a few people) as long as you keep using Drainsoul (Which is NOT a DoT skill, it's an instant damage, just has a warm up).

You can cast Decay on a healer, then plague on his party + him. Suddenly he's taking DoT damage + any other damage from your bone spear or your allies.

Necro is in a good place.
As Irish suggested, stay a little closer to spawn at a low level, and try to take 1 - 2 friends along for the grind. Makes it a bit more fun.

*If there's one thing I can talk about, it's Necromancer :p*

Sadly you can't just base the balance of classes off of their ability to PvP anymore, now you have to worry about PvE balancing, considering its the most popular server.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Sadly you can't just base the balance of classes off of their ability to PvP anymore, now you have to worry about PvE balancing, considering its the most popular server.
Classes shouldn't be balanced around PvE. Sometimes we get skills that deal extra damage to undead but that's about it. HC is not a PvE server, and while we have a PvE world, classes should be balanced around it. Classes need to be able to lose to even mobs. If we wanted leveling to be easy we would have MA's still, or we wouldn't even have to level. I agree some skills are useless against mobs (Famine, any kind of stun/root etc) but we can't balance around PvE, it wouldn't work.

*This was written on mobile, so there are bound to be errors in this*

RShooter2000

ICE ICE ICE!
Classes shouldn't be balanced around PvE. Sometimes we get skills that deal extra damage to undead but that's about it. HC is not a PvE server, and while we have a PvE world, classes should be balanced around it. Classes need to be able to lose to even mobs. If we wanted leveling to be easy we would have MA's still, or we wouldn't even have to level. I agree some skills are useless against mobs (Famine, any kind of stun/root etc) but we can't balance around PvE, it wouldn't work.

That was a joke lol.

Ruger392

Obsidian

HC has change we balance off of pve and pvp. HC. Simply because pvp kiddys like yourself doesnt enjoy pve doesnt mean the rest of the server doesnt

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
The reason DoTs are stronger than melee against a hard Mob is that you can cast the DoT and then kite, avoiding as much damage as possible while the Mob takes damage.

Try modifying your playstyle: either get friends who can tank the mobs, a healer or support who can give you health or mana, or just more DPS to help you.

Remember, max level mobs are NOT supposed to be efficient to kill alone, they will take a long time to level with if you attempt them alone.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
HC has change we balance off of pve and pvp. HC. Simply because pvp kiddys like yourself doesnt enjoy pve doesnt mean the rest of the server doesnt
I'm not a PvP kiddy. I enjoy both parts of HC. Purely balancing sound PvE is a dumb idea. Balancing around both is the only logical one

Ruger392

Obsidian
I'm not a PvP kiddy. I enjoy both parts of HC. Purely balancing sound PvE is a dumb idea. Balancing around both is the only logical one
I think you got confused with what i said but I dont know how i can put it any clearer we balance off pve and pvp which means balance around both

Wifibee

TNT
It is possible to balance off of pve only as long as it applies only when fighting against mobs.
You could simply have a passive effect affecting mobs (they take x% more magic damage) or have a boost for all characters on the pve server.
You can also have items with specific enchants for pve (magic class don't have that !), that would help.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Wifi, I hate to say it but I do think you've chosen the wrong class because of it's play style. From what I've seen with necro, it is in a very good balanced state. It's overall playstyle is basically kiting targets as well as maintain dot pressure. It may seem very underpowered when fighting mobs at lower levels but I do suggest like ALOT of other people to go level where mobs aren't as strong.

Higher up the levels of necro, you will obtain more dot pressure skills (drain soul, plague) which will help a lot in terms of taking down mobs but necro isn't designed to be a high burst damage class. It's more of a class that slowly kills it's targets while kiting them around. I do suggest you take a look at runeblade though as it may suit you more so than necro; http://herocraftonline.com/wiki/Runeblade

Wifibee

TNT
The necro has one terrific spell for pve : bonespear. Okay not everybody likes it because it bursts eardrums and blinds people. But awesome anyway.
Later, he has plague. Waaayyyy later. Nice for groups of mobs (but low damage, compensated for aoe)
But decay .. if you don't see why decay is a crap spell for pve, i don't know what to say.. except mobs don't feel "pressure".
In terms of exp in party, it's the same here. What's the use of a 14 seconds long dot for a total of 120-130 damage ?
If at least its cooldown weren't that long, it would be useful but i feel i'm more participating with i'm using melee with a hoe.