• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

More protection for crafters

NeoGriim

Legacy Supporter 3
So I'm up in the 40's and I'm in the Arcane University town, we keep getting attacked by wave after wave of raiders (probably because of our proximity to Zeal). Anyway, it got me thinking, I'm not a combat class, and to tell you the truth, casters aren't really strong against the warriors and rogues coming at us in iron armor and diamond swords, we're getting wrecked, losing xp and resources, I got tired of it myself and left town however what I was thinking about is that why don't crafters have a way to defend themselves? If not kill people in pvp, at least keep them from getting to us. Sure, running away down a long tunnel and throwing stone blocks behind us is a start because they can't have diamond pickaxes and therefore could never catch up, but what if we don't have room for a long tunnel? My house is on the edge of a cliff with someone elses house on the other side. :(

My main suggestion is to grant us access to a limited supply of obsidian somehow, perhaps granting us an ability to mine any rock with an iron pick for a couple seconds as if it were either a diamond pick or an admin pick (one that mines anything in one strike) I would think this could be a little over powered so I'd say give it a large cooldown and cost all of our mana reserves. Also, considering the power of this, I think it should consume the whole iron pick after it's done being used so that it does in fact cost us a good amount of our resources.

Thank you for your consideration.

Afterthought edit: What gave me this idea is mcmmo with their abilities for mining and such, perhaps you could look into that for other ideas for crafter abilities such as the treefeller ability and such. With mana and cooldowns I don't believe these would be too overpowered and it would allow us to defend ourselves quite easily while not making us too much of a threat to other people.

Trizze

Legacy Supporter 2
Protip: Build a room of obsidian that everyone in your city can stand in at the same time and then just place 2 blocks to block the exit and wait for them to leave :)

I dont think crafters should get any defense spell since they're not supposed to be fighting, they're supposed to either mine or build.

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3
Protip: Build a room of obsidian that everyone in your city can stand in at the same time and then just place 2 blocks to block the exit and wait for them to leave :)
That won't help. PVP rules state that they can break those 2 blocks to enter the room and kill you. They must replace though. Best bet is to do that with 4 layers of obsidian. That will put them off. And In pvp you can only get rid of 2 blocks to pursue and kill a player. Also just bring a lot of bread. I've seen one angry crafter take down five warriors.

AussieDingbat

Legacy Supporter 5

I dont think crafters should get any defense spell since they're not supposed to be fighting, they're supposed to either mine or build.

Lol, panic rooms.

Trizze

Legacy Supporter 2
Oh, I thought they had to replace it and since they're not crafters they wont be able to get the obsidian block without a diamond pickaxe but nvm then :p

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3
Oh, I thought they had to replace it and since they're not crafters they wont be able to get the obsidian block without a diamond pickaxe but nvm then :p
They can although they will destroy the block not harvest it.

NeoGriim

Legacy Supporter 3
That won't help. PVP rules state that they can break those 2 blocks to enter the room and kill you. They must replace though. Best bet is to do that with 4 layers of obsidian. That will put them off. And In pvp you can only get rid of 2 blocks to pursue and kill a player. Also just bring a lot of bread. I've seen one angry crafter take down five warriors.
See the problem I'm talking about is pre specced crafters, we can't mine obsidian right now so it doesn't matter. We're trying to use regular stone but that's to easy to excuse with: "I thought it was just stone, I didn't know it was the walls to his basement" and thus avoid a ban.

That angry crafter may have been me, I took down 4 invaders after I lost 2 chests full of rarer building materials and other stuff I was going to use. (Lots of glass, a chest and a half full of standstone that I had bought, some iron that I didn't have the chance to turn into blocks and fit in my lwc chest, 2 stacks of ink sacks, ect) Then, of course, they broke through my cobblestone floor, killed me a good 8 times and then broke my bed and never replaced it. That PE still hasn't been responded to. >.>

They took the chests by burrowing through the walls and only replaced the stone blocks with cobblestone. >.> They took the whole chests too, they didn't just empty them.

*sigh* the life of a crafter as he tries to save up for the rings and town instead of buying extra LWC with his gold. :(

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
In pvp you can only get rid of 2 blocks to pursue and kill a player

This is not a real rule! People say this all the time. Where are they getting it from? The wiki? You can alter any number of blocks so long as you change them back.

I'm pretty sure the wiki says to "only make a 1x2 hole in the wall." Meaning that there's no reason to grief someone's wall; just get through it. I understand that to mean "if the wall is three blocks thick, make a tunnel, but only make it 1x2". This is probably where the misunderstanding is from.

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3
This is not a real rule! People say this all the time. Where are they getting it from? The wiki? You can alter any number of blocks so long as you change them back.

Doreagarde I remember you can remove 1x2 blocks to pursue In pvp as long as you place them. I had this case happen with me a while back on the last map when I removed 1x2 blocks to kill someone In pvp and replaced afterwards. According to the mod that judged it back then it was perfectly legal.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm pretty sure the wiki says to "only make a 1x2 hole in the wall."

You just activated my trap card!

Herocraft Wiki said:
If a player is attacking a structure to kill a player or gain entry in the Wilderness they may destroy a portion of the wall (Generally two blocks) however those blocks must be replaced - if not then this qualifies as griefing.

Neither myself nor any of the other staff will care how many of your blocks were broken if the attacker puts them back. To quote myself (again):

Doreagarde said:
If you change a block on someone's property, change it back. This is a true principle, and, knowing it, you are able to govern yourself in the matter.

Ninja edit:
Doreagarde I remember you can remove 1x2 blocks to pursue In pvp as long as you place them. I had this case happen with me a while back on the last map when I removed 1x2 blocks to kill someone In pvp and replaced afterwards. According to the mod that judged it back then it was perfectly legal.

Absolutely was it legal, and if it had been 10x10, it would have still been legal, not because of the size of the hole, but because the blocks were put back.

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
You just activated my trap card!

Neither myself nor any of the other staff will care how many of your blocks were broken if the attacker puts them back. To quote myself (again):

Ninja edit:
Absolutely was it legal, and if it had been 10x10, it would have still been legal, not because of the size of the hole, but because the blocks were put back.

Yeah, but please only break blocks you have to. There could be paintings / switches / signs / etc on the other side that you are accidentally messing with. You can't replace the text on the sign (if you don't know what it is) . . .

NeoGriim

Legacy Supporter 3
Shoot, taking paintings is griefing? I lost like 8 paintings, someone just flat out stole them. But that was like 3-4 days ago, does it still count as griefing?

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
Shoot, taking paintings is griefing? I lost like 8 paintings, someone just flat out stole them. But that was like 3-4 days ago, does it still count as griefing?
I never said that taking paintings was griefing. Just that breaking a LOT of blocks unnecessarily is a bit of a douche move.

AussieDingbat

Legacy Supporter 5
I never said that taking paintings was griefing. Just that breaking a LOT of blocks unnecessarily is a bit of a douche move.

Of course taking paintings is greifing, but it's up to you if you decide to take up a guide's/mod's time by finding out who took them.

but it's up to you if you decide to take up a guide's/mod's time by finding out who took them.
This is a problem I always had with the griefing rule... Yes, if I come back and there are two blocks missing from my wall, be they cobble, dirt, wood, or even glass, then it is griefing. Yes, I can have the perpetrator reported, perhaps even banned, but... seriously. Just replace the two blocks and stop whining. "You didn't replace that one block whinewhinewhine" is kind of like finding a loophole in order to get someone punished. Especially when you throw in the people who kill the raider and then complain that they didn't replace the blocks. In my opinion, real griefing is mindlessly destroying stuff to be a jerk. I do not think the rules should be changed, I just think that certain players should grow up. The point of Herocraft is NOT to get the raiders banned.

A note on the paintings: it's fairly common knowledge that many people use paintings to hide doors/chests behind, so... that's why raiders knock them down. If I were a raider (which I will never be), I would stash the paintings in one of your chests so you could set them up correctly when you got back.

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
This is a problem I always had with the griefing rule... Yes, if I come back and there are two blocks missing from my wall, be they cobble, dirt, wood, or even glass, then it is griefing. Yes, I can have the perpetrator reported, perhaps even banned, but... seriously. Just replace the two blocks and stop whining. "You didn't replace that one block whinewhinewhine" is kind of like finding a loophole in order to get someone punished. Especially when you throw in the people who kill the raider and then complain that they didn't replace the blocks. In my opinion, real griefing is mindlessly destroying stuff to be a jerk. I do not think the rules should be changed, I just think that certain players should grow up. The point of Herocraft is NOT to get the raiders banned.

A note on the paintings: it's fairly common knowledge that many people use paintings to hide doors/chests behind, so... that's why raiders knock them down. If I were a raider (which I will never be), I would stash the paintings in one of your chests so you could set them up correctly when you got back.

Dude the point here is simple: obey the rules of the server. Part of the reason ppl are griefing so much atm is because the admins are overwhelmed with petitions (and yes griefing includes breaking 2 blocks and only replacing one of them or replacing them with diff types of blocks - as has been stated by staff before)

btw: you dont need to break paintings to find the secret, just walk thru them

Haha, tell that to the raiders, not to me. I know that you can just walk through them. But raiders aren't always the brightest bunch.

Derelict1

Wood
Wow, this thread really derailed eh?

As a rogue, I agree that crafters should have the ability to run away, perhaps a speed boost or something. To say "you shouldn't be fighting anyways" is absurd, since when does the person getting robbed by an evil rogue like me have a choice in the matter? I'm going to kill them plain and simple, crafters need an ability run away as they can't fight back effectively.