• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Monthly Check In -- why are players not staying?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Greets! So I've gathered some things from what I saw when players attempted to play here (from a fresh start / not returning player) and here's what I saw. I hope to fix these issues and would love insight on my suggested fixes. You can also use this as a place to express your dislike for something we have in so we can work on changing it. (T2 leveling rate will get better, promise!)

High levels / Veterans are camping newbies off the server.
  • Implement potion/buffs to victims to dissuade prolonged camping
  • debuff murderers for prolong camping (slow/weakness/etc)
New players are unable to level without being killed.
  • Implement a dungeon ticket system to instanced areas with no pvp for SET times (30mins / 1hour) - allowing players to effectively spend currency and RL cash to bypass PVP for only set periods.
  • Turn off PVP in some dungeons during boosts. (I like this a little less than an instancing system)
New players don't understand the systems
  • Get a focus group (or have guides) have most asked questions thrown to the players faces, faster.
  • Simplify some things in the item system.
The systems are too complex.
  • I'm at a loss to this one.
There is little high-end past max level.
  • Push for Townships for high-end with political conflict to upgrade past certain points
  • More Events
  • Conquest points to promote pvpers camping areas and fighting each other.
Chat is Toxic and deters people from Role Play or joining into conversations
  • Remove OOC chat
  • Heavily moderate other chats
  • or
  • Heavily moderate and freely give out mutes for repeated offenders
There's too much inflation with little need to actually spend coins.
  • Properly Implement the Admin Shop for players to sink coins into.
There's no reason to log in every day.
  • Revamp the /dailybonus rewards so that streaks of logins will grant awesome items or titles.

Thanks for reading and please give me your feedback! I want Herocraft to be fun for everyone and to grow as a community!

Last edited:

Rida_

TNT
Money sink: higher increase in town rent per rank, but some nice prestige benefits. Maybe also ability to buy special Soul Crates with in-game money.
New players and the complex system: We need to have a few people sit around and work out how to explain it in the simplest manner. Make an actual tutorial or sorts, perhaps. Find a way to ease them in in stages.
High-end: Add in cosmetic stuff perhaps, that can be won by reaching certain achievements.
Chat: Determine some set of rules (as non-arbitrary as possible) that will improve chat. Cursing a bit is fine, but racism and crap like that is not.
New players leveling: First class chosen levels faster (maybe until 30 or 40 or so).
Camping veterans: ELO drops for killing newbs, only players under X level drop medals

I strongly agree with the dailybonus thing. Last time I checked the rewards go 25c, 50c (maybe), then 5c, 10c, and so on. Kinda messed up the order there.

I dislike much of the ELO system. That's been said enough though, so I'm not going to talk about it.

Don't remove OOC, that's the one general chat not assigned for a specific purpose. We could look at the chat rules again and see how to make them stricter.

Leveling: Maybe slightly increase the amount of exp given at the current dungeons, PvP-on, but add a sort of LFG queue that puts people into random groups of 3-5 for leveling with decreased exp. in a PvP-off instance? It gives newbies a group to level with along with a way to meet members of the server to give them an attachment to the community. The system might require a custom plugin as well as some tweaking to the basic idea, but it would improve the PvE side of the community. PvP would take a bit of a hit since some of the actual players would use this system as well (AKA every non-PvPer), but maybe have it set up so that there is a limited number of instances and lower-leveled players have priority? Dunno, just spitballing here.

Money-sinks: Sell certain social-pets and titles/trails for massive amounts of in-game credits instead of IRL cash? This would serve to get large amounts out of the economy at any given time, and there are some people who make a ton of money who refuse to spend IRL cash on the server.

Complexity: Yeah, just kinda weeds out the super young. Make sure that HC.to/wiki message comes up often on the server?

New players don't get it: Difficult to get a system where people are rewarded for answering questions... If it could be done, that would be great, but the whole process of proving aid would be too difficult. Just get more guides, I guess.

Camping: I feel like there will be some situation where people keep attacking and getting killed over and over, and it would appear like the person getting attacked was camping, this giving the wrong person the debuff. Don't know how you plan to go about it though, so it could work as intended for all I know.

Delikin

TNT
The whole ELO and /pvp top system has completely fucked over the server honestly. It just drives player to kill for the pure reason to have ELO, not for personal reasons, not for town wars, not for taking land or materials, just purely because being at pvp top makes them feel better about themselves somehow. And this is part of what probably drives away new players. Not because they don't like the pvp top system, but because all the players that are on /pvp top. Honestly only got there because they go around gank squading all the new players, who barely even know how to level yet.

If you go to any of the herogates during the most populated times of the server, you will easily find 2-3 gank squads at each gate just waiting for brand new players to leave the safety of the herogate. This even applies to the veterans too. Most of the time they at least know that the players there are only trying to get easy 5v1 kills and just go to a different gate, or wait a an hour or so until they leave. But it's this toxic mentality that all these "Fuck you it's a hardcore pvp server you should expect it so now stop complaining you fucking noob." players have towards the new or even old players that drives people away.

The learning curve is too much for new players to deal with if they're being constantly bombarded by all the gank squads that this server is so well known for now. Literally some of the only PvP that happens on this server is on an incredibly unfair playing field. VERY rarely will you see little skirmishes between equal or even close to equal numbers of players. Generally along the lines of 5v1 or 6v2, where the smaller group has absolutely NO chance of winning or even escaping the massive gank squad.

Unfortunately we don't play on a server where everyone self-polices themselves and actually use common sense to help the server out in the long run. Most players just run around finding a way to get one over on other players or the server for that matter.

I'm honestly not sure how you'd fix something like this but this is certainly something that is slowly killing the server. The range for players gaining ELO should be seriously changed so that /pvp top players with 1800+ ELO or something cant keep farming the new players just for ELO. And they definitely shouldn't get medals of
vengeance for it.

Also on a side note, many of the classes are very neglected and have quite a few bugs/problems that are just ignored or shoved under the rug most of the time.

The dungeons don't give enough EXP considering you need like a party of 4 or more to actually be efficient in them.

I agree, more money sinks. But not only money sinks that are optional. Money sinks that are very hard to play without.

More incentives/bonuses for mastering multiple classes would be nice if they could be done somehow.

OOC chat shouldn't be taken away but definitely moderated MUCH more heavily.

There should be recommendations to ask fora guide for help if you're confused about anything at the tour in spawn. (Also more guides)

If I think of anything else I'll edit the post here.

Last edited:

radicater11

Legacy Supporter 3
The whole ELO and /pvp top system has completely fucked over the server honestly. It just drives player to kill for the pure reason to have ELO, not for personal reasons, not for town wars, not for taking land or materials, just purely because being at pvp top makes them feel better about themselves somehow. And this is part of what probably drives away new players. Not because they don't like the pvp top system, but because all the players that are on /pvp top. Honestly only got there because they go around gank squading all the new players, who barely even know how to level yet.

If you go to any of the herogates during the most populated times of the server, you will easily find 2-3 gank squads at each gate just waiting for brand new players to leave the safety of the herogate. This even applies to the veterans too. Most of the time they at least know that the players there are only trying to get easy 5v1 kills and just go to a different gate, or wait a an hour or so until they leave. But it's this toxic mentality that all these "Fuck you it's a hardcore pvp server you should expect it so now stop complaining you fucking noob." players have towards the new or even old players that drives people away.

The learning curve is too much for new players to deal with if they're being constantly bombarded by all the gank squads that this server is so well known for now. Literally some of the only PvP that happens on this server is on an incredibly unfair playing field. VERY rarely will you see little skirmishes between equal or even close to equal numbers of players. Generally along the lines of 5v1 or 6v2, where the smaller group has absolutely NO chance of winning or even escaping the massive gank squad.

Unfortunately we don't play on a server where everyone self-polices themselves and actually use common sense to help the server out in the long run. Most players just run around finding a way to get one over on other players or the server for that matter.

I'm honestly not sure how you'd fix something like this but this is certainly something that is slowly killing the server. The range for players gaining ELO should be seriously changed so that /pvp top players with 1800+ ELO or something cant keep farming the new players just for ELO. And they definitely shouldn't get medals of
vengeance for it.
Honestly, the whole ELO system needs to be ripped and replaced with something similar to the old karma system. Karma should be lost for unfair fights that you start, and low karma should be a detriment to players.

Right now, the server commends players who attack those that have no chance of fighting back, which ultimately means people will quit out of frustration or rage. I've talked to more than one new player, and all they want is to join a town, learn their class, and then integrate into the harsh world to fight the vets. Pushing them along too quickly causes them to just leave, because believe it or not, we aren't the only RPG minecraft server around.

We have to start improving the experience this server provides, and that should begin with fixing many of the current issues we have, instead of spending most of our dev time developing new things to add on to the "untapped potential" pile.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Greets! So I've gathered some things from what I saw when players attempted to play here (from a fresh start / not returning player) and here's what I saw. I hope to fix these issues and would love insight on my suggested fixes. You can also use this as a place to express your dislike for something we have in so we can work on changing it. (T2 leveling rate will get better, promise!)

• Implement a dungeon ticket system to instanced areas with no pvp for SET times (30mins / 1hour) - allowing players to effectively spend currency and RL cash to bypass PVP for only set periods.
  • Turn off PVP in some dungeons during boosts. (I like this a little less than an instancing system)
  • Get a focus group (or have guides) have most asked questions thrown to the players faces, faster.
  • Push for Townships for high-end with political conflict to upgrade past certain points
  • More Events
  • Remove OOC chat
  • or
  • Revamp the /dailybonus rewards so that streaks of logins will grant awesome items or titles.

Thanks for reading and please give me your feedback! I want Herocraft to be fun for everyone and to grow as a community!
As much as I hate campers I think the issue stems from the behavior of the camper, not the act of camping itself. I think debuffing people for scoring multiple kills will detract from team fights. I think we should monitor the actions of those camping more than we should be concerned wirh the camping itself, as many of the individuals who camp to an,extreme level often are rather toxic.

Be mindful I'm typing this out on my kindle, mistakes are likely.

Clarification: Monitor players and how they interact. Debuffing for camping should be a last resort.

Last edited:

Arcan1x

Soulsand
I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone roleplay since I joined herocraft (which I consider a bad thing). I'd love more encouragement for RP but

Unleash Proctors instead of removing O.

I also fully support this.

MAGYAR12

Glowstone
Personally I think that dungeons don't give nearly enough exp for how long it takes to kill the mobs there, unless there's a boost it's almost not worth going to. Shared exp should also give much more to each party member. If you have more than 4-5 people leveling with you it seems you level much slower as there are usually only about 4 mobs in any given location with 3k-4k health that give each party member a little over 100exp. This can often be super grindy and super boring. My suggestion would be to maybe increase the amount of mobs spawning by a lot (almost like a minnie dome of death , give them much less health and, give less exp. This way at least it's not just smacking 1 mob with 4k health for 3 minutes straight. Some sort of variance to make leveling not quite as painful. More mobs, more hectic, more interaction, makes the time go by a bit faster rather than a constant rotation of abilities where the mobs become super predictable. I know it's minecraft but I think adding more mobs to the mix would make it way more fun.

Ice

Heroes Never Die
The ELO system is kind of meh... like covered up above before, people will just get a group together and camp herogates for a couple of elo points.

Leveling in dungeons right now is... kinda bad. Hell biome is 10x better than dungeons as of right now, considering you can go there on your own and get more EXP than if you would go to a dungeon, which requires you to be in a group.

Leveling T2 is god-awful, I know you covered it on the OP but I feel it needs to be said again. I was only able to get from 1-33 in a 400% boost while there were others in the same party going from 1-60 during said boost. I know T2 is harder to level and all but it shouldn't be a frustrating chore.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
We should bring back dueling arenas. Why?
1. People can PvP against each other without having to worry about getting items to PvP or losing items from PvP'ing.
2. People can PvP without having to worry about losing their ELO in the main world if they lose. As it is, most of the people with high ELO can't even commit to a full on fight. If you notice, majority of the people with high ELO are all ninjas/dragoons or are a class with some sort of mobility or a blink they can use to suicide to avoid losing ELO.
3. People don't have to worry about losing their items. Another reason why people avoid PvP'ing is that they do not want to lose all their items, especially their enchanted weapons/armor.
4. People who don't usually PvP can now PvP without having to worry about the reasons stated above. Hero craft classes are designed and balanced for PvP. Instead of just using the skills on just mobs, now they can use the class to its full potential and what it was created for--PvP.
5. More biting, less barking. Instead of calling out on each other how much they suck behind their regioned towns/walls, they can duel each other to settle it.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
implement town wars / siege ASAP. Replace /pvp top with town listings of towns with best ratio of towns conquered to lost. Make town raiding a frequent option but not constant. Rather than saving it for one day a week, make it like shadowbane was where a town can issue a challenge to another town for say 1k souls, if other town doesnt want to accept they have to pay 2k souls within 24 hours or some such or the siege begins until town is conquered or defended successfully for 1-2 hours. I know your working on this to some end and i think it will help a lot with long time pvp retention. Maybe that would help with saving noobs too, idk.

Nether281

TNT
I dont think there really is a way for you to fix the system complexity due to Heroes being a somewhat higher skillcap for the average minecraft player, and not to mention its the players fault for not reading up on it like they should. People just run through the tutorials no matter what, not much to do.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
reward veteran players for helping new players ty

herocraft recruit a friend bonus :O????

Some kind of mentoring system could help, if a player you have "mentored" reaches level 60 on a hero or profession class, you are awarded x souls or a free crate key or some such. A player can only be mentored by one person, and can only be mentored within x days of first joining server. No idea how hard to set up that would be.

Could even increase town / rivalry pvp in a way lol, ppl trying to slay each others squires to deny that sweet sweet mentor lootz.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5

Ok, I would like to first off say before I suggest a stronger solution to this that buffing/debuffing people based on who they kill is an absolutely atrocious solution. It will simply drive people away from combat by creating an unfun experience.

The thing that people never seem to understand is not only that camping new players isn't something that occurs as often as it is complained about, but the reason that people kill low levels and newer players is because they are bored. In the last 4 years of Herocraft, if you asked any active PvPers whether they would like to gank new (and I use this term loosely, because it seems people are confusing new with lower (not always low) level) or have a 10v10 teamfight with another town, I can guarantee you each and every one of them would prefer the teamfight.

The issue of new players getting camped stems from the fact that people like PvP, but there aren't other ways to get it. Although I dislike comparing the current map to Bastion, Bastion was hugely successful and I think a comparison fits here. If you were to show up at a town filled with mostly PvEers in Bastion, you would probably get a couple kills, maybe get a decent amount of loot, but in about 20 minutes you can bet your ass another town is sending a full party to come kill you. A lot of the reasons that people killed low levels on other maps is because it would provoke people to come fight; not only would the provokers probably get some decent loot from the town they were raiding, not only would they get to pad their stats a bit, see there name pop up in chat as the whole server got to see you going on a rampage, but you would get REAL PVP out of it. Onto the actual comparison, the difference between this map and Bastion is that Bastion had a larger and more active playerbase. This means in the simplest of terms that it is a lot easier for people to find PvP themselves, whether it just be showing up at a random town, finding people in the wild, when there are more people playing more consistently initiatives to fight aren't needed, because they're always there. This is something that you've addressed below and that I will also be addressing down below, but the fact of the matter is that you need to recognize when things start to turn south (which you have, and I am very grateful for that) and provide a reason for someone to pick Herocraft over a minigame server. Nine times out of ten, it'll either be because of the community or because of Heroes.

In a similar vein to what I said above, there are a few things that need to be addressed off the bat:
1. THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN LOW LEVEL PLAYERS AND NEW PLAYERS
The term noob gets thrown around so loosely these days and I think it really clutters up a lot of these debates, especially in game. I've played on this map for probably 3 days in total (would be more but I got banned for 3 days, oops) and I've killed my fair share of people. I am currently a level 56 Beguiler, and I'm only there because of a boost. 75% of my kills came from when I was below level 30, killing people within 10 levels of me or way higher than me, but because my name is more well known than theirs I am accused of killing noobs. This is something that happens with so many of the active PvPers. If someone is a master Ninja, kills 200 people, is an avid PvPer, then switches out to wizard and gets ganked when he's leveling; is that a problem? When is the line drawn for when people should be allowed to fight, and be expected to defend themselves? A lot of the people who complain (mostly in game) are people who have played long enough to know that if you run out into a group of players, they will kill you. They know that if you go alone to a dungeon which is a PvP hotspot a lot of the time, you will be killed. It's really not a hard concept to understand, it's just that people are a lot more trigger happy on their complain buttons these days and if they do something that is a completely natural part of the game and lose something, it's clearly an issue that the server has, right11/!/1/

Onto my actual suggestion, I think that the solution to a lot of these issues listed here relies on creating some sort of endgame content. I don't think the right approach is to turn off PvP in certain areas, first because it restricts a very vital part of the Herocraft experience which is the "always watch your back" attitude, babysitting players will make their experience more enjoyable for their first few days, but it will slowly kill off the server because when everyone is being babysitted nobody wants to play anymore. Secondly, I believe a better approach is to encourage PvP in certain areas when a boost is active instead of discouraging it in certain areas. By discouraging it in certain areas, you are essentially just saying "Hey, we know this is an issue but we're not going to deal with it, we're just going to throw in a makeshift solution to keep people from complaining." I understand that sounds a bit aggressive, but adding something like a certain conquest or capture point that is only activated during a boost is something that could really solve more than one problem. There actually is an advantage to ganking players while they're leveling outside of getting that mad ELO, but you can get a lot of souls if you can get a decent amount of kills during a boost. If you just swoop in there and kill a few people while they're dying to pigmen, you get the exhilarating feeling of successfully ganking someone, ELO, and some decent cash. Repeat this a few times over the course of the boost and you get real money out of it. If you switch people's focus to a bigger reward which can be obtained during these boosts, it gives them something to do during these boosts for those that are maxed, so they can get the experience they want without fucking around with the low levels. It should be noted however, that if a system such as this were to be added, people would still gank levelers, and that is 100% OK. It is crucial that people die a few times to players while they are leveling to they can get a real feel for how the server is in reality. Making it happen less frequently is still great, but having it happen every once in a while is beneficial all around.

Honestly I don't really have an opinion on this or the next point, they aren't something that directly affect my experience as a player so I'll let others with more knowledge on that pitch in their ideas.

• More Events

This x10000000, I'm not going to type up an enormous post on this essentially repeating the things I said above because I think you are pretty spot on with how this should be dealt with. Simply giving people initiatives to go places to fight, such as towns or PvP hotspots will shift a lot of pressure off of low level players, because there is more gain to going to these spots than there is killing a naked level 16 necro in a swamp. This point cannot be stressed enough and I hope this is shifted into a priority.

• Remove OOC chat
  • or

I think that stronger moderation is something people could tolerate, but I am VERY against getting rid of O chat personally. I think O chat is where a lot of the enjoyment from the server comes on, because it brings together the community in a lot of different ways, whether it be from people creating bonds or friendships to some extent (lol), but most importantly O chat creates rivalries. This is a strange point and I realize that, but it is infinitely more entertaining to see people shit talking each other than it is to see nothing. I would much rather opposing groups hate each other than be neutral to each other. I agree however that the extent to which some people (myself included) shit talk is probably a bit too toxic. It's not the amount that it happens, but its the sheer vulgarity in the shit talk that is a little bit offputting. I would like to point out however, that this issue is not something that is solely something that "Those gosh darn PvPers" have. The PvE community can be just as toxic in chat. The fault falls on a lot of people, however because the difference between the two groups mainly falls down to extreme vulgarity as opposed to passive aggressive comments and complaining, the blame falls a lot on the PvPers (not to say we aren't a problem when it comes to chat). It seems from my perspective that rules are rather vague and punishments seem incredibly inconsistent and biased, and I think that if better chat rules were implemented and those responsible for the muting stayed more objective that this issue could start to be dealt with quicker.

I think I have 4c, no comment on this one.

I think that this isn't as much a solution as it is a bonus. This isn't something that is going to get people to log on, this is something that will keep people on assuming they're already there. The incentive to play needs to come from the actual enjoyment of the game, not people logging in for a few minutes to collect their rewards then log off. The rewards and titles won't make any difference if nobody is around to experience them. I think that addressing the issues above will completely eliminate this problem. People don't log on to Herocraft saying "Oh boy, I can't wait for my 25c!" They log on hoping to get a fun experience out of the game, whatever they may be interested in.

All in all, I would just like to say Kainzo I really do appreciate you making a thread like this. I think it is phenomenal that you are willing to recognize when things can improve and it shows that you're interested in preserving the server. I've only been playing a few days and I've been having a ton of fun which was honestly much to my surprise, and I genuinely hope that this map can survive because it has so much potential. I hope that things get out of the planning stage and get into the doing stage however, because if too much time is spent trying to create the perfect system then the server will fill apart. It's ok to not have the perfect server, I'll take a slightly flawed or unbalanced PvP initiative over nothing 7 days a week.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I think that stronger moderation is something people could tolerate, but I am VERY against getting rid of O chat personally. I think O chat is where a lot of the enjoyment from the server comes on, because it brings together the community in a lot of different ways, whether it be from people creating bonds or friendships to some extent (lol), but most importantly O chat creates rivalries. This is a strange point and I realize that, but it is infinitely more entertaining to see people shit talking each other than it is to see nothing. I would much rather opposing groups hate each other than be neutral to each other. I agree however that the extent to which some people (myself included) shit talk is probably a bit too toxic. It's not the amount that it happens, but its the sheer vulgarity in the shit talk that is a little bit offputting. I would like to point out however, that this issue is not something that is solely something that "Those gosh darn PvPers" have. The PvE community can be just as toxic in chat. The fault falls on a lot of people, however because the difference between the two groups mainly falls down to extreme vulgarity as opposed to passive aggressive comments and complaining, the blame falls a lot on the PvPers (not to say we aren't a problem when it comes to chat). It seems from my perspective that rules are rather vague and punishments seem incredibly inconsistent and biased, and I think that if better chat rules were implemented and those responsible for the muting stayed more objective that this issue could start to be dealt with quicker.

I agree with this 100%, the shit talking in o chat is honestly one of the main herocraft "end game activities" lol. I personally dont participate in it much but i get a lot of entertainment out of it, and sometimes ill try to go help someone out if it feels like they are really being taunted / harassed and killed repeatedly unfairly. I think stronger and more consistent moderation on real hate type speech is fine but rivalry shit talking is a big component of towns / cross map loyalty in this type of game.

I really like the gameplay of battleborn (lol i know), but the lack of cross team chat totally killed the competitive nature of the game for me. I think limiting chat as a means of "limiting toxicity" is never a good idea.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3

Ok, I would like to first off say before I suggest a stronger solution to this that buffing/debuffing people based on who they kill is an absolutely atrocious solution. It will simply drive people away from combat by creating an unfun experience.

The thing that people never seem to understand is not only that camping new players isn't something that occurs as often as it is complained about, but the reason that people kill low levels and newer players is because they are bored. In the last 4 years of Herocraft, if you asked any active PvPers whether they would like to gank new (and I use this term loosely, because it seems people are confusing new with lower (not always low) level) or have a 10v10 teamfight with another town, I can guarantee you each and every one of them would prefer the teamfight.

The issue of new players getting camped stems from the fact that people like PvP, but there aren't other ways to get it. Although I dislike comparing the current map to Bastion, Bastion was hugely successful and I think a comparison fits here. If you were to show up at a town filled with mostly PvEers in Bastion, you would probably get a couple kills, maybe get a decent amount of loot, but in about 20 minutes you can bet your ass another town is sending a full party to come kill you. A lot of the reasons that people killed low levels on other maps is because it would provoke people to come fight; not only would the provokers probably get some decent loot from the town they were raiding, not only would they get to pad their stats a bit, see there name pop up in chat as the whole server got to see you going on a rampage, but you would get REAL PVP out of it. Onto the actual comparison, the difference between this map and Bastion is that Bastion had a larger and more active playerbase. This means in the simplest of terms that it is a lot easier for people to find PvP themselves, whether it just be showing up at a random town, finding people in the wild, when there are more people playing more consistently initiatives to fight aren't needed, because they're always there. This is something that you've addressed below and that I will also be addressing down below, but the fact of the matter is that you need to recognize when things start to turn south (which you have, and I am very grateful for that) and provide a reason for someone to pick Herocraft over a minigame server. Nine times out of ten, it'll either be because of the community or because of Heroes.

In a similar vein to what I said above, there are a few things that need to be addressed off the bat:
1. THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN LOW LEVEL PLAYERS AND NEW PLAYERS
The term noob gets thrown around so loosely these days and I think it really clutters up a lot of these debates, especially in game. I've played on this map for probably 3 days in total (would be more but I got banned for 3 days, oops) and I've killed my fair share of people. I am currently a level 56 Beguiler, and I'm only there because of a boost. 75% of my kills came from when I was below level 30, killing people within 10 levels of me or way higher than me, but because my name is more well known than theirs I am accused of killing noobs. This is something that happens with so many of the active PvPers. If someone is a master Ninja, kills 200 people, is an avid PvPer, then switches out to wizard and gets ganked when he's leveling; is that a problem? When is the line drawn for when people should be allowed to fight, and be expected to defend themselves? A lot of the people who complain (mostly in game) are people who have played long enough to know that if you run out into a group of players, they will kill you. They know that if you go alone to a dungeon which is a PvP hotspot a lot of the time, you will be killed. It's really not a hard concept to understand, it's just that people are a lot more trigger happy on their complain buttons these days and if they do something that is a completely natural part of the game and lose something, it's clearly an issue that the server has, right11/!/1/

Onto my actual suggestion, I think that the solution to a lot of these issues listed here relies on creating some sort of endgame content. I don't think the right approach is to turn off PvP in certain areas, first because it restricts a very vital part of the Herocraft experience which is the "always watch your back" attitude, babysitting players will make their experience more enjoyable for their first few days, but it will slowly kill off the server because when everyone is being babysitted nobody wants to play anymore. Secondly, I believe a better approach is to encourage PvP in certain areas when a boost is active instead of discouraging it in certain areas. By discouraging it in certain areas, you are essentially just saying "Hey, we know this is an issue but we're not going to deal with it, we're just going to throw in a makeshift solution to keep people from complaining." I understand that sounds a bit aggressive, but adding something like a certain conquest or capture point that is only activated during a boost is something that could really solve more than one problem. There actually is an advantage to ganking players while they're leveling outside of getting that mad ELO, but you can get a lot of souls if you can get a decent amount of kills during a boost. If you just swoop in there and kill a few people while they're dying to pigmen, you get the exhilarating feeling of successfully ganking someone, ELO, and some decent cash. Repeat this a few times over the course of the boost and you get real money out of it. If you switch people's focus to a bigger reward which can be obtained during these boosts, it gives them something to do during these boosts for those that are maxed, so they can get the experience they want without fucking around with the low levels. It should be noted however, that if a system such as this were to be added, people would still gank levelers, and that is 100% OK. It is crucial that people die a few times to players while they are leveling to they can get a real feel for how the server is in reality. Making it happen less frequently is still great, but having it happen every once in a while is beneficial all around.

Honestly I don't really have an opinion on this or the next point, they aren't something that directly affect my experience as a player so I'll let others with more knowledge on that pitch in their ideas.

• More Events

This x10000000, I'm not going to type up an enormous post on this essentially repeating the things I said above because I think you are pretty spot on with how this should be dealt with. Simply giving people initiatives to go places to fight, such as towns or PvP hotspots will shift a lot of pressure off of low level players, because there is more gain to going to these spots than there is killing a naked level 16 necro in a swamp. This point cannot be stressed enough and I hope this is shifted into a priority.

• Remove OOC chat
  • or

I think I have 4c, no comment on this one.

I think that this isn't as much a solution as it is a bonus. This isn't something that is going to get people to log on, this is something that will keep people on assuming they're already there. The incentive to play needs to come from the actual enjoyment of the game, not people logging in for a few minutes to collect their rewards then log off. The rewards and titles won't make any difference if nobody is around to experience them. I think that addressing the issues above will completely eliminate this problem. People don't log on to Herocraft saying "Oh boy, I can't wait for my 25c!" They log on hoping to get a fun experience out of the game, whatever they may be interested in.

All in all, I would just like to say Kainzo I really do appreciate you making a thread like this. I think it is phenomenal that you are willing to recognize when things can improve and it shows that you're interested in preserving the server. I've only been playing a few days and I've been having a ton of fun which was honestly much to my surprise, and I genuinely hope that this map can survive because it has so much potential. I hope that things get out of the planning stage and get into the doing stage however, because if too much time is spent trying to create the perfect system then the server will fill apart. It's ok to not have the perfect server, I'll take a slightly flawed or unbalanced PvP initiative over nothing 7 days a week.
Wow...that was surprisingly comprehensive and well written. I agree with what most of what you said.