• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Monk Suggestions

Smitten

Dirt
I would like to open up the Monk class for a little discussion , perhaps get a few skills reworked, changed, or shifted in level reward.

How about adding in some kind of ranged ability at the 20-30 Bracket, something along the lines of

* Chi Blast - Does like 5-10hp , and knocks the target away.Level 20 - Level 30

-- Replacing the Force Push ability and giving the monk what I consider a needed earlier damage ability. Give it a 5 second or so cooldown to compensate for it being a damage+effect.

* Meditate - Level 30 - The Monk focus's his energies inward restoring his health as well as passively providing a small bonus to his allies around him.
-- Combat and Moving would break the effect.
-- Greatly increases Monks personal Regeneration
-- Moderate mana cost due to innate regen being already decent.
--- Moderate increase to his parties regeneration while they are within 5 Blocks.

* Chi(Iron) Stomp -- Level 40 - 50 -- The Monk expends a great deal of his focus to stomp the ground damage nearby enemies and knocking them up( or back if upwards isn't possible ).
-- Chi(Iron) Stomp costs 30% mana and does 17-20 damage.
--- Cooldown of 2 minutes.

------------------------------

Just a few ideas to give the Monk a little more flair in combat. The support benefits of safefall, dispell , and sneak are nice for the class. I just feel it needs a bit more .. umph to be the Fist thrower the Monk class should be.

---------------

Also : Due to the Notch error with creatures spawning, perhaps consideration on Armor choice should be available to Monks... perhaps iron/chainmail shoes ?

If all else fails perhaps shifting safe-fall or dispell to the bracket Force Push / Pull sits at would be enough of a combat addition at the lower levels for Monk.

Thanks for reading.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
These sound like cool ideas. The problem with Force push and Force pull is that they dont deal damage, and bc a monk is a melee class, the main way to pvp is to use the force to keep your enemy close. However, with sprint, this is now much much harder to do, as people can dance away from you and root/shoot/cast at you.

it would also be nice if ironfist required a target to be able to be used, often it misses in lag

HollowSith

Diamond
I like the idea of improving Monk's combat abilities. The force abilities are simply a perfect add to Monk's and really make them unique.

IMO Monk's should keep to either a staff (stick) or fists.

Perhaps make fire damage disabled on Monk's and allow them to catch players on fire when hit with fists. This means two skills. A passive skill that protects the user when using fire punch/ close to fire + the fire punch skill itself. This skill could also be changed to using a staff (stick), same effects. Just a neat little idea.

Though, Monk's offensive combat abilities should only really be staff (skick) or fists. IMO of course :)

Nic1

Dirt
Excellent post agree. Monks need a little more combat abilities earlier to put them on line.

Also imo Chakra needs to be looked at. Bards get Chakra at lvl 30 with a 2 sec cd and it only uses 7 mp. Monk recieve it at lvl 40 and it costs 40% mp with a 7 sec cd.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Excellent post agree. Monks need a little more combat abilities earlier to put them on line.

Also imo Chakra needs to be looked at. Bards get Chakra at lvl 30 with a 2 sec cd and it only uses 7 mp. Monk recieve it at lvl 40 and it costs 40% mp with a 7 sec cd.
Bards is 20% mana and heals much less than the Monks Chakra.

We will probably rename the Bard's so people dont get confused.

AzenYumCha

Legacy Supporter 6
These suggestions are really interesting. They really do reflect on how a melee class the Monk really is.

Prior to Dsawemd's post, lag does create a drastic effect against several of the Monk's abilities. Lag causes the skills which forcibly moves a client (Forcepush, Forcepull, IronFist) to not work as well as it should be. Not only adding some skills to improve this Combat Melee class, but to also improve things such as lag which will then improve a heap of other flaws known in the game; simply a Domino Effect.

Concluding my statement, I highly consider these skills to be though of and somewhat placed into the game. :)

Sleaker

Retired Staff
These sound like cool ideas. The problem with Force push and Force pull is that they dont deal damage, and bc a monk is a melee class, the main way to pvp is to use the force to keep your enemy close. However, with sprint, this is now much much harder to do, as people can dance away from you and root/shoot/cast at you.

it would also be nice if ironfist required a target to be able to be used, often it misses in lag

ForcePush and Pull can be given damage, but that's up to Kainzo.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I like forcepush/pull not doing dmg, when lag is down you can push people off cliffs or into lava. But some ofthese more yinyang shaolin moves sound like cool additions to the healer pvp class.

Also: alternative Ironfist, monk prepares for the next blow, and when he lands it, the dmg/knockback effect occurs. Or just make it hit multiple targets and still be able to miss. As is, from testing, ironfist does less than a normal hit, albeit with a knockback on target (w no lag) and I feel needs a bit more oomph to balance monks frustrating heals (I like where those are too though) and function as a lvl 50 skill

pipicik

TNT
I was thinking new spells for monks like
Fire Fist : 15 damage %20 mana 10 cooldown makes 15 damage and ignate for 5 seconds
or if u guys say there is a spell like that (soul fire)
Dragon Kick : 15 damage and knock backs the target
i hope u will think good something about my post Kainzo.

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
pipcik stole my dragon kick -_-;; I'll think of some stuff to make monk feel more like a monk... hmm...

Hidden Fist - (lasts X amount of second) - anytime the monk takes melee damage during the duration, they inflict 2-3 damage back
Meditate - regenerates one's health, mana, and hunger while remaining still
Dragon Kick - in addition to damage, causes the target to burn and fly back
Typhoon Punch - hit the enemy so hard that they feel like they're in water (spawns a puddle of water with damage)
Surgeon's Hand - hit the enemy with precision on a point of vulnerability, causing them pain over time
Pressure Point - temporarily paralyze the target
Paci-fist - all damage done to the monk while this ability is activated is added up, multiplied by 1.5, and dealt with their next punch. (the longer you dont attack, the more damage buildup you get, but the closer to dying u get too)
Drunken Monkey - Slap the enemy silly (confuse)
chi blast - no damage, but strong knockback and slow effect to enemies around the caster
ki shield - absorbs X amount of damage
Selfless Disciple - monk's damage is reduced by half. All damage recieved by the monk from enemies during X duration is divided in half and given as healing to the monk and her allies in Y distance
pin down - lets the monk jump on top of other players for X duration
Repulse the Monkey - ranged push, knocking enemies in front of the monk back 2-3 squares but does no damage
inner peace - dodge all melee attacks for X seconds

edit:
Knuckle Sandwich - deals damage and takes away 2 food from enemy's hunger meter
Love tap - reduces monk's damage by half, but all damage dealt is returned to the monk as healing

inner focus - the monk ignores their nerves, taking reduced damage from all sources for the duration

obviously i dont expect all to be implemented, or any for that matter. Was just comming up with ideas to make a monk-feel character. Highlighted ones are the ones i liked the most and felt they were unique or greatly desired.