• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Master Skills

RedKhan

Soulsand
In a sentence: Selected members of herocraft who are deemed masters of their craft, put willing players through a set of trials/tests and if they are successful, bestow upon them a bonus; class-unrelated, skill.

For example: An especially notorious or respected Master Samurai is chosen. He builds himself a small outpost/temple/barracks/tower/hideout either alone or with help. This area will play host to his or her particular challenge, and the admins region it, allowing only the master to build there.

Since the Samurai is usually thought of as a noble warrior, trials could consist of defeating 3 notorious or wanted criminals, being hired to defend or assist non combatants, to defeat the master in 1 on 1 combat, all of the above or whatever relevant challenge the master can come up with.

Upon completion of these tasks, the successful player is given "Honour", a passive skill which increases the player's damage output by 20%.

The above is all just off the top of my head, the skills would need to be approved by admins/coders and I'm sure there are far more interesting things that people could come up with when it comes to trials for each different type of class.

I think this would make for an exciting and interesting playing point in HC, having these shrines dotted about, inside each a row of signs explaining what the player must do and what proof they must provide (Screenshots in case of PvP, items in case of item collection, screenshot incase of building etc.) Effectively player designed quests that every member of HC could partake in for fun and also to improve their character.

RedKhan

Soulsand
Actual code involved: Implementation and balance of new Master Skills. Granting Master's the ability to give player's these skills, or allowing them to pass on names to Admins to grant skills.

Admin ingame work: Regioning the area. Selecting several respected reliable players to carry out the role of Master.

Player ingame work: Building the small HQ for each master, preferably far away from one another. Designing worthwhile challenges. Building anything related to challenges, i.e. Fight pits, mazes, puzzles.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Not a bad idea - but we are unable to grant skills on a PLAYER level, only through class.

At the moment a heroskill just isnt in the code to do that, a permission node is possible but they dont really interlope like that.

RedKhan

Soulsand
That only occurred to me after I'd made the thread.

Would giving every class these special skills, and allowing a command ingame to unlock them, (similar to when a player reaches a certain level and gains access to more powerful skills) work?

Glad you liked it, even if it isn't do-able at the moment.

Fury

Iron
that could really unbalance the crap out of a lot of people.. Interesting idea, but currently I don't really like it with the limited items in the game.

RedKhan

Soulsand
Yeah, I'd imagine the skills to be small bonuses, or useful outwith combat skills to have.
Not game changers or OTT PvP skills.

Not sure what you mean about items though?

Fury

Iron
minecraft currently only has items like tools, and a few weapons and armour made from wood-diamond (leather).

It's not like we have long swords, rapiers, greatswords, heavy axes, hammers, maces, shields, spears, poleaxes, scimitars, crossbows, longbows, or arrows/bolts other than flint.

Fury

Iron
by items I mean special items that could be given out like this. rather than skills.

RedKhan

Soulsand
Oh okay. That'd also be cool, but since that would require brand new code as opposed to tweaking existing code I suggested skills :p