• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Looking for banner GIF's / art

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
Indeed, back when I was looking for a server, after researching, I found HC on one of the lists we're pretty up top on. Basically what you need is something attractive that gets to the point and shows every exclusive thing about the server as well as its general category.
I really want to make a better try at this, so I'll need some info on making a .gif picture :S

Edit: @Xanipher how did you make your picture's quality good?
Edit2: Did some research. As more experienced makers, what do you think of GIMP?
Most programs are notoriously bad for GIF compression. What I did to solve this was create the animations in Flash CS5, then export frame by frame as full quality PNG. Then load all the images into Photoshop CC (each frame as a separate layer), then hit the motion layout and select "Import layers as frames". After that select export for web and usually I care about size more than quality when it comes to GIFs, so I hit the option to give the best settings within 600kb (which is about the size of the other GIFs on the advertising site). Ended up with max quality @ 440kb.

EDIT: I hate GIMP with a flaming passion.

Clawscript

Obsidian
Most programs are notoriously bad for GIF compression. What I did to solve this was create the animations in Flash CS5, then export frame by frame as full quality PNG. Then load all the images into Photoshop CC (each frame as a separate layer), then hit the motion layout and select "Import layers as frames". After that select export for web and usually I care about size more than quality when it comes to GIFs, so I hit the option to give the best settings within 600kb (which is about the size of the other GIFs on the advertising site). Ended up with max quality @ 440kb.

EDIT: I hate GIMP with a flaming passion.

Alright then, I don't think downloading the good ones would be worth it on an amount of usage scale, so I'll pass on this one. Since Default hates it too, I can pretty much see the general opinion :)

Squid_bot

Legacy Supporter 4
Indeed, back when I was looking for a server, after researching, I found HC on one of the lists we're pretty up top on. Basically what you need is something attractive that gets to the point and shows every exclusive thing about the server as well as its general category.
I really want to make a better try at this, so I'll need some info on making a .gif picture :S

Edit: @Xanipher how did you make your picture's quality good?
Edit2: Did some research. As more experienced makers, what do you think of GIMP?

Gimp is extremely bad. It lacks in the main items needed for designing and fitting objects together, it doesn't even have proper overlays. I recommend photoshop if you want to begin to do computer graphics. Not gimp, it is free for a reason.

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
Haha! Yeah, but I'll still try to limit my downloads, since I'm not willing to risk much with my old PC ;)
Try and see if you can get photoshop elements for cheap through your school. Adobe has really good educational pricing. You can get up to 60% off. Otherwise I think Photoshop CC is about $10 a month.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
Try and see if you can get photoshop elements for cheap through your school. Adobe has really good educational pricing. You can get up to 60% off. Otherwise I think Photoshop CC is about $10 a month.

(or torrent it, it's legal in the Netherlands)

But 10 dollar a month is cheaper than I thougt... didn't it use to be like a 1000 dollars one time purchase?

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
(or torrent it, it's legal in the Netherlands)

But 10 dollar a month is cheaper than I thougt... didn't it use to be like a 1000 dollars one time purchase?
We shouldn't encourage activities that are illegal where the home server is based. Yea Adobe is subscription based now. No buying the whole thing once and then having to buy and upgrade when its obsolete. Now you just subscribe and get the latest program. In the end, it is cheaper to subscribe than to buy the suite outright (my cs5 design suite cost $2500 in 2011). You can get Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, and Premiere Pro CC for $20 a month as a student, or $240 for the year. Which is pretty good imo, though not worth it if you aren't actively making money being a designer or in design school.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
We shouldn't encourage activities that are illegal where the home server is based. Yea Adobe is subscription based now. No buying the whole thing once and then having to buy and upgrade when its obsolete. Now you just subscribe and get the latest program. In the end, it is cheaper to subscribe than to buy the suite outright (my cs5 design suite cost $2500 in 2011). You can get Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, and Premiere Pro CC for $20 a month as a student, or $240 for the year. Which is pretty good imo, though not worth it if you aren't actively making money being a designer or in design school.

I think Adobe mainly aims to sell to people that make a living using these programs, if I couldn't torrent it I would never think of paying for it since I just don't use it often enough. I won't talk about torrenting anymore, but in my opinion it is better to have someone torrrent the program, and later if he enjoys working with it and starts a career using the program he will buy it.

The current pricing is much better, I could never put down 2500 dollar for a hobby, I just don't have the money. And even 20 dollar per month is quite expensive for a highschool student that just wants these programs for fun, little projects that make him no money.

Clawscript

Obsidian
I think Adobe mainly aims to sell to people that make a living using these programs, if I couldn't torrent it I would never think of paying for it since I just don't use it often enough. I won't talk about torrenting anymore, but in my opinion it is better to have someone torrrent the program, and later if he enjoys working with it and starts a career using the program he will buy it.

The current pricing is much better, I could never put down 2500 dollar for a hobby, I just don't have the money. And even 20 dollar per month is quite expensive for a highschool student that just wants these programs for fun, little projects that make him no money.
Well he's right :p I don't plan on making GIFs at a large scale and modifying photos by the dozen, so I'll just do with the programs I already have. 60$ one-time is good for a whole suite good for amateur work rather than 20$ a month for one pro program.