• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Let's Talk About Towny.

xMJay

Portal
I think the defenders should have the advantage of having multiple towns help defend them against attackers. Friendly fire off in town borders gives the defenders a decent advantage while making the attackers have to outplay/out number the defenders by even more. Disabling friendly fire in town regions isn't game breaking as a potential regen or huge stat boost is.

edit: also, FF off doesn't purely help large townships. It is purely a buff to defenders. Ie. 20 players attack a group of 15 players. The 20 man group doesn't benefit off this friendly fire rule only the defenders.

Last edited:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I think the defenders should have the advantage of having multiple towns help defend them against attackers. Friendly fire off in town borders gives the defenders a decent advantage while making the attackers have to outplay/out number the defenders by even more. Disabling friendly fire in town regions isn't game breaking as a potential regen or huge stat boost is.

edit: also, FF off doesn't purely help large townships. It is purely a buff to defenders. Ie. 20 players attack a group of 15 players. The 20 man group doesn't benefit off this friendly fire rule only the defenders.
We do want home-field advantage, but I think PVP-OFF in towns and allies is too much.

ShadowRavynn

Max Legacy Supporter
http://pastie.org/private/ywf6mawcs9p4xtlynu0j5a
This is the new Herocraft system I'm leaning towards for Friday. We have two days to set it up but there are several things that need to be decided.

1. Do we allow teleports to your ally towns (for reinforcements) Yes, should have a cooldown, but not same as recall, imo.
  2. When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY? Yes, spawn in town unless at war, then GY during war
  3. Should there be a hard cap of towns? No
  4. Nations. Yes
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc)
    1. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage Yes
    2. Only admins can fire off WAR times Yes
    3. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times. Can towns pay as well? or only Nations? and as Neutral, does this mean you cannot be attacked?
  6. Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed. Yes
  7. Friendly fire? on/off Off
  8. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war) coords should be hidden

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Really happy you are considering towny instead of GP since it allows a lot more imo

1. Do we allow teleports to your ally towns (for reinforcements): I would say for a cost of like 25s, and maybe only usable during war?
  2. When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY? Could give more reason to join a town
  3. Should there be a hard cap of towns? IMO on the start of the map maybe a limit of like 15-20 so people will feel an urgency to get with a group, however later expanded like the current cap of 28.
  4. Nations. Nations were the main appeal I had from this over GP, they allow kingdoms again which is something that I missed
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc) I would like Saturday personally
  6. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage: I really do NOT like this, they already have an advantage either way considering it is faster for them to resupply and everything.
  7. Only admins can fire off WAR times :D
  8. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times. For an extreme cost I would hope, and still would force their town to pvp just not able to be destroyed.
  9. Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed.
  10. Friendly fire? on/off if it's only inside the town I wouldn't care if it's on or off. I would like it to be off giving noobs a slight intro into pvp and until HC gets back to a giant pvp server, if it's a mistake it can be changed. Please do NOT give them any regen, damage, or something of the sorts, that was one of the largest flaws I saw in Multi's towns and he tried to ignore it outright.
  11. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war) I do think that towns should need to look nice, keep the 30 block high wall limit, no ceilings, but you shouldn't be able to just type a command to see where a town is. This will give new players just starting out a chance to get their town going before they get slaughtered by vets.
The towns plugin has always been a major aspect of Herocraft, and needs to be well maintained. The community should have a lot more control over what happens for the next version of the plugin, maybe revive Balance and put some members (Please give each part of the community equal voice, PvE and PvP players.) in charge of anything that may be considered overpowered or not working correct with plugins such as: Treasure rewards, conquest point rewards, Town taxes/other town costs (This was way too high for sieging in the current plugin)

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
The towns plugin has always been a major aspect of Herocraft, and needs to be well maintained. The community should have a lot more control over what happens for the next version of the plugin, maybe revive Balance and put some members (Please give each part of the community equal voice, PvE and PvP players.) in charge of anything that may be considered overpowered or not working correct with plugins such as: Treasure rewards, conquest point rewards, Town taxes/other town costs (This was way too high for sieging in the current plugin)

Completely agree with this.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
So i had an idea.What If we could allocate how many blocks a player could break during war? That would give advantages to large groups but would limit how much they could destroy/loot.

Edit: would require a more tactical approach to destroying blocks to gain entry.

Last edited:

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
So i had an idea.What If we could allocate how many blocks a player could break during war? That would give advantages to large groups but would limit how much they could destroy/loot.

Edit: would require a more tactical approach to destroying blocks to gain entry.
or just use the TNT plugin, where you could blow something up then it would later regen (maybe after war is over?)

Y

ytiggidmas

This is the new Herocraft system I'm leaning towards for Friday. We have two days to set it up but there are several things that need to be decided.

1. Do we allow teleports to your ally towns (for reinforcements)
  2. When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY?
  3. Should there be a hard cap of towns?
  4. Nations.
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc)
    1. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage
    2. Only admins can fire off WAR times
    3. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times.
  6. Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed.
  7. Friendly fire? on/off
  8. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war)
1.no teleports to allies- makes it extremely difficult to raid
2.respawn at gy -again respawning at town, makes it extremely difficult to raid
3.no hard cap, why the fuck was there one in the first place?
4.no nations=more pvp group superpowers
5. friday at 8 to saturday at midnight - this probably doesnt matter as much but it's what I think would work well
6. no, towns and town ruins should be preserved
7. off
8. Towns should have the normal build rules as they did before

Belisarius1991

Legacy Supporter 3
First, I would like to applaud Kainzo and the staff for trying their best to listen to the community and respond accordingly.

Second, I have looked somewhat at the Towny plugin, but I don't know a lot about it and what I have found hasn't been thoroughly explanatory. Where might one become an informed reader concerning this plugin? I don't mind in depth stuff or pages of material. The more you know.... the better off you are.

Now as to the points in question:

• No, although this sounds handy, wizards can already do this as well as runestones, and another method would, as has been mentioned, make travel across the map too easy. The idea of purchasing portals to connect two points however seems fair to me and I like it. Not sure if it is possible though.

• GY. But I am torn by this. On the one hand, if you respawn in your town this would be essentially the same as a graveyard town building, which has already been a part of herocraft. On the other, it may make defending towns too easy. Is it possible to have a graveyard-type town unit built in this plugin for a cost?

• Depends on the difficulty of creating a town. However, if we do implement nations, the more towns you have, the more nations you have. If you have only a handful of towns, how many nations will you have?

4. Nations
  • Yes please. I love the concept of this, but have little idea of how the implementation of this.

• I think Saturday would be the best day, as some are mentioning. It provides the best time-frame for users across the most time-zones.
  • I don't like the idea of towns losing sections. Sounds yucky to me and painful for a hard-working town.
  • When we say blocks broken, what do we mean per say? Is this like a list of blocks or just all blocks in general? I liked the concept of certain blocks (i.e. soft blocks) being able to be broken, while other blocks are not (i.e. hard blocks).

a. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage
  • Eh, No I don't think this is necessary

b. Only admins can fire off WAR times
  • Is this a question or just an aspect of the plugin? I think that would be fine I suppose, unless someone can come up with a better way of doing it. Nashah had an interesting idea, though I would like it fleshed out and discussed a bit more before committing to it.

c. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times.
  • This seems fine to me I suppose.

• Seems like nearly everyone is saying the same thing. Good builds should be left, whereas the ability to easily remove ugly builds is quite handy.

7. Friendly fire? on/off
  • On. There is a lot of discussion on this and honestly I'm not sure. If it is on then towns will have to be careful and coordinate a bit more rather than just rushing/spamming. Though in truth this is minecraft.... how tactical can you get? I could be swayed either way I think, perhaps I just don't know enough about it all.

8. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war)
  • If I understand this correctly, we are asking where towns should be displayed in some fashion so that they are easily found/spotted. I do not think towns should be visible, but should be hidden. Some towns will stand out by choice, but other may wish to remain as secretive as possible. Secrecy can mean safety, which is one of the main purposes of a town.

TheAncientTeam

Legacy Supporter 7
  1. No
  2. Only from mob deaths
  3. No
  4. Yes, I'd like to see how it works
  5. Sundays sound good
  6. No as that gives raiders less stuff to steal
  7. Friendly fire? off
  8. Not to sure what this means but I think that at first towns should be hidden and over time become visible, it gives towns a better set-up but later when they're set up raids happen more often to stable towns

werwew19

Coder
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 6
1.no teleports to allies- makes it extremely difficult to raid
2.respawn at gy -again respawning at town, makes it extremely difficult to raid
3.no hard cap, why the fuck was there one in the first place?
4.no nations=more pvp group superpowers
5. friday at 8 to saturday at midnight - this probably doesnt matter as much but it's what I think would work well
6. no, towns and town ruins should be preserved
7. off
8. Towns should have the normal build rules as they did before
This man has it right

GodOfGales

Legacy Supporter 4
Nations nations, something I have always debated upon.

For a brief period I left herocraft because of a server with the ideas of nations. I soon found myself back at Herocraft for one main point, because in herocraft there is no defined nations. Alliances spread between individual towns an unique players actually have a chance at forging kingdoms themselves.

If nations was really wanted, you could section off land using some sort of power system in which the biggest towns after a month or so ae defined as nations of something.

Just my outlook.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Nations nations, something I have always debated upon.

For a brief period I left herocraft because of a server with the ideas of nations. I soon found myself back at Herocraft for one main point, because in herocraft there is no defined nations. Alliances spread between individual towns an unique players actually have a chance at forging kingdoms themselves.

If nations was really wanted, you could section off land using some sort of power system in which the biggest towns after a month or so ae defined as nations of something.

Just my outlook.
It's not nations how you are thinking, this is not like that server in which where you are located determines your nation and allies. This will be player created nations just like the kingdoms on previous maps. You choose the allies, enemies and everything

GodOfGales

Legacy Supporter 4
It's not nations how you are thinking, this is not like that server in which where you are located determines your nation and allies. This will be player created nations just like the kingdoms on previous maps. You choose the allies, enemies and everything
Ohhhhhhhhhhh *face palm*

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter

4. Nations.
    1. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage
    2. Only admins can fire off WAR times
    3. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times.
  7. Friendly fire? on/off

• Do we allow teleports to your ally towns (for reinforcements) | Sounds good!
  • When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY? | Depends on the town size, but yes
  • Should there be a hard cap of towns? | Not unless a million are created
  • Nations. | Are awesome
  • What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc)
    1. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage | Yes
    2. Only admins can fire off WAR times | Maybe
    3. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times. | Possibly
  • Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed. | Unclaim or Town fall? If Unclaim then yes
  • Friendly fire? on/off | Off in towns
  • Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war) | I guess Visible

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
  1. Do we allow teleports to your ally towns (for reinforcements) - No
  2. When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY? - GY
  3. Should there be a hard cap of towns? - No
  4. Nations. - Sure
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc) - Saturday would be my pref if it must be one day only.
    1. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage - no
    2. Only admins can fire off WAR times - would prefer if players could initiate somehow but defender / town being attacked should ultimately have final say in the time.
    3. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times. - eh, i guess
  6. Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed. - no, but would be nice if could restore town grief from war periods
  7. Friendly fire? on/off - id prefer on but would require a lot of hero skills adjustments so not realistic.
  8. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war) not sure i understand this one. Players names associated with towns? the towns themselves? i dont even know what would be hidden so im confused.

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
  1. Do we allow teleports to your ally towns (for reinforcements) Only if war is on or if the town is under siege.
  2. When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY? Only if you are within a certain limit, could be annoying to respawn in town from the other side of the map :p
  3. Should there be a hard cap of towns? Yes, maybe one for every 300x300 to 500x500 block area there is on the map.
  4. Nations. Yes.
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc) Sunday, perfect mix of time for those that can't be on, can be on, and want to be on.
    1. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage Just so long as it isn't op.
    2. Only admins can fire off WAR times Sounds good.
    3. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times. Could also be similar to the relic system where some set items are needed for it., like the old reagents.
    4. Should allow blocks to be broken unless there is a structure that does not allow for that and tnt damage. Alternative to block breaking, large, random areas of each town can become block-breaking areas.
  6. Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed. Maybe if it is not a great build.
  7. Friendly fire? on/off Off
  8. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war) Do it like hunts.

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
  1. Should there be a hard cap of towns? Yes, maybe one for every 300x300 to 500x500 block area there is on the map.

if our current map stays the same size, there will be 1,111 300x300 sections

and 400 500x500 sections

if the map is 100 million blocks (10k by 10k) / (300x300) or (10k x 10k) / (500x500)