• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Let's Talk About Towny.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
http://pastie.org/private/ywf6mawcs9p4xtlynu0j5a
This is the new Herocraft system I'm leaning towards for Friday. We have two days to set it up but there are several things that need to be decided.

1. Do we allow teleports to your ally towns (for reinforcements)
  2. When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY?
  3. Should there be a hard cap of towns?
  4. Nations.
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc)
    1. Defenders regenerate life faster to have a home-field advantage
    2. Only admins can fire off WAR times
    3. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times.
  6. Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed.
  7. Friendly fire? on/off
  8. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war)

Last edited:

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
This is the new Herocraft system I'm leaning towards for Friday. We have two days to set it up but there are several things that need to be decided.

4. Nations.
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc)
  7. Friendly fire? on/off
  8. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war)
1: If we can set up some kind of cost yes
2: Same as 1
3: Yes IMO it should be 20
5: Sunday wars is good
7: Off in Towns.
8: What do you mean visible towns? Like others can enter a command and get the coords? If that no.

xMJay

Portal
1. Teleports on cd sound like a good idea.
2. GY
3. No opinion
4. Yes
5. Saturday is safest(time zones etc)
a) regen doesn't mesh with heroes that well and ff off + allies is a large advantage
b)can't automate?
c)sounds ok
6) would help with map longevity
7).....well Zerg groups would like friendly fire off. I guess the defenders deserve that advantage
8)should be visible.

Please don't leave on the pvp toggle command:)

_DELETED_10000

Legacy Supporter 3
  1. With a cost/CD, yes.
  2. During war, GY, otherwise, town? Maybe.
  3. I don't know...that's a difficult question.
  4. Yes!
  5. Both Saturday and Sunday sound like good options. Saturday is more accessible, imo, to most players. Sunday has the potential of being 'cut off' for many younger players for school on Monday or other obligations like church and family, which normally happen on Sunday.
    1. Agree.
    2. Agree.
    3. Potential for 'too big to fall' creating more issue. Perhaps instead of paying for an entire time, they can pay to 'negotiate' peace, meaning for that day, and that town, they are 'at peace' and can't war each other. Would help deter 'immune' towns since it's a town by town, war day by war day thing.
  6. Elaborate? Is that implying that an area would be rolled back to destroy all builds in order to restore nature and allow for future builds without 'trash' on the map? Would there be a possibility for that to be like the 'fall' of a town, and allow 24 hour looting before rolling it back?
  7. Off. Would it be town tag, and party tag?
  8. Both have pros and cons. Non-visible promotes exploration and gives new towns a potential shield to get going before they're discovered, however cleverly placed towns could go undiscovered for too long. Visible keeps towns from becoming invisible and unexplored, while also encouraging raiding and PvP. However, it could also paint targets on newly forming towns which have no defenses, and no deep coffers to negotiate away invaders.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
1. Teleports on cd sound like a good idea.
2. GY
3. No opinion
4. Yes
5. Saturday is safest(time zones etc)
a) regen doesn't mesh with heroes that well and ff off + allies is a large advantage
b)can't automate?
c)sounds ok
6) would help with map longevity
7).....well Zerg groups would like friendly fire off. I guess the defenders deserve that advantage
8)should be visible.

Please don't leave on the pvp toggle command:)
We're pushing the "force pvp everywhere" config.

Liqwids

TNT
1. If it shares a cd with recall otherwise it will be abused to get around map easy.

2. Respawn in town with same cd as recall, otherwise GY.

3 . I Wanna say no, I but having 8 towns with 1 member max online at a time is kinda dumb.

4. Yup.

5. Not up to date with community so no opinion.

6. Once again no opinion.

7. Off, you can abuse skills with it on.

8. Make people find them.

Didn't play at all last map so my opinions are from Bastion. Looking forward to Pvp again.

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter

4. Nations.
  7. Friendly fire? on/off
1. High cooldown/warmup out of combat at a cost of a regent
2. GY if you spawn in a town then the why would they come out again if you are raiding it, for instance the way Valorium is right now, everyone hides in their town and every once in a while you are able to kill that one person that is building but if they spawn in their town well thats the end of it.
3. No Opinion
4. Sure
5. Saturday
6. No Opinion
7. On, just join a party
8. Visible

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I do believe this will be the best fit for us until Townships 4.0 is out and will give us most of the features we need to have a fun an successful experience.
    1. No, I don't feel that would be beneficial as it would make it a little too easy to move around the world and would promote a lot less travel. I do on the other hand love the idea of townships being able to pay a large fee to have a permanent portal(with costs) built at two locations.
    1. If this could be turned off during war and set to only fire off if the township is the closest place then I would be for this. For those mining at the other side of the world it would make it hell to get back to your death chest in time. What would be best would be an option box for town or closest graveyard on death, but I am sure that would take additional coding.
    1. No, players should be able to be creative and run a township even if there are many on the map. Either they will be successful and will bring that success to the world, or they will fall, no harm done.
  4. Nations.
    1. This has been a driving goal across several maps in the past and I believe it adds a lot of value.
  5. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc) I personally don't like the idea of the town-sections lost, as non PVP oriented towns should not have to worry about losing their townships to skilled, killers. If there is anyway to disable permanent loss of your township(sections of it) it should be disabled.
      1. This is a double edged sword, and I personally think it should be a NO. In the situation that one town is stronger, it will just make it all the less likely that they will get raided, where as with the weaker townships, it is unlikely that it will help enough to save them.
      1. I am not a fan of the idea that EVERY day X you are at war, as it will most likely run players off the server for a whole day of time. Something like the current war time system of every X hours would be better, or making a calender where it happens 8 days from the previous war so it does not take up every single day X.
      1. This will only promote protections for the richer nations. I suppose if it cost money PER section claimed it would work ok, as the larger townships would be paying far more, but otherwise no.
    1. Definitely not on developed townships. They are pieces of our history and wiping them, would in a sense destroy that history. I would say that at the admins discretion this should be used to wipe townships that never really got off the ground and are nothing but a large hole in the ground with dirt buildings, but anything that has build players structures and history to it should be preserved.
  7. Friendly fire? on/off
    1. Just keep the group friendly fire as it's always been. Township FF-Off just benefits the larger townships too much in my experience.
    1. If this could get set to a timer I would say YES, give townships X days(7?) before they become visible so they don't get stomped right when they are trying to start out. Otherwise without the aid of a timer, I would say NO.

_DELETED_10000

Legacy Supporter 3
Could someone explain to me the downfalls of FF OFF between town members? I've seen it allows 'abuse' and 'benefits large townships'.

How?

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Could someone explain to me the downfalls of FF OFF between town members? I've seen it allows 'abuse' and 'benefits large townships'.

How?
Abuse: Hell if I know

Benefit large towns:

Town A has 20 people logged on and in the town. Let's say they can all fight and are geared
Raiders B only have 10 because party limit.

See where I'm going?
The town doesn't have to worry about partying for AoE's or targeting skills.
They can simply spam away with double the people.

Now say Town A wants to raid Town B.
Town B only has 5 people.
Town A can go in with all 20 and spam AoE's and not care because again, no FF.

If it's on only inside their town I think FF is ok (Because defenders should get a slight advantage, after all, you took the risk of invading their home)

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
So a cap on towns is a good idea, this would encourage people to join established/active towns instead of creating 100 small towns which go inactive leaving dead towns dotted all over. It would help towards longevity in my opinion because when ppl start going inactive the people around them begin to do the same. With small towns this effect happens alot quicker than the larger ones. With fewer large towns enough people stay active that people are less likely to go inactive due to everyone around the doing the same.

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter

4. Nations.
  7. Friendly fire? on/off

1. No, any major town should be able to have a wizard to gtp allies or supply others with runestones to a nearby location.
2. If there were a cool down to this or perhaps a maximum limit (10, 20?) to how many could respawn there before it deactivates for the rest of the day then sure.
3.I can see pros to both ways. I guess it depends upon how easy/hard it is to build a town. If it's a lot cheaper then before then yes, otherwise no.
4. Yes
5. Saturday or sunday, though like Eldry said perhaps not every Saturday or Sunday. More thoughts on this later.
a. No
b. That's preferable, but more on that later.
c. If it's a weekly thing then yes.
6. Leave this up to mods/admins. If an area looks really good, or say even an old castle that's now filled with holes, leave it. If it was some stone box city that lasted a week or two then yes.
7. Leave things the way they are.
8. Visible as in do something like /town where (name). Then no. All of the pvp towns will know where the other pvp towns are quickly anyways. They always have.

I like having war happen on Saturday or Sunday but I'd prefer if it took a little more effort!
1. Have some sort of item that is required to start a war against an apposing town.
2. Have the aforementioned item drop from a boss that spawns (at a predetermined time, so towns can be prepared to fight over it) once/twice a week and have one be given to whichever town held the most conquest points that week (this would make it so there is more of a push to pvp in these areas also, and more pvp is good right?)
3. When you have that item you must speak with a mod/admin/potentially event member, telling them who you wish to target.
4.There being time windows in which you can decide upon doing a war (example, like Saturday from 10am-8pm) Which can be adjusted based upon admin/mod availability.
5. War will last a set period of time (30 min to an hour)

Different choices, unsure of these.
1. Allow the town that's to be attacked the option to try to bribe (potentially having a fixed max amount as to keep people from requesting stupid amounts) the attackers. If bribed the siege doesn't happen.
2. If the bribe fails then the attacked town has the option to pay a certain amount. This will make it so the town of those who are attacking is also open to be sieged. (reason is to punish people who try to focus on small and weak towns, while they try to focus on destroying a small town all other towns that they are at odds with will come and attack them instead. This would make alliances incredibly important.) This cost will be more or less depending upon the size of the attacked town. The smaller it is the less it costs to make the other town open to attack also.

Simply throwing out an idea here. It doesn't have to exactly be this way. In some things less is more. This would make sieges a bit more special. But I know this would take more effort to enforce.

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
  • GTP is a heroes skill already. No TP imo
  1. When you die, to you respawn in your town instead of GY?
  • In a perfect world it would be like what we have now, if your town paid for a graveyard and you die near, you spawn there, it not or if you are far away you would spawn at the nearest GY
  1. Should there be a hard cap of towns?
  • 28, tied to the embassies
  1. Nations.
  • Back in the days of Halvalla, I knew that the town nextdoor Val, ran by Moejoiner would come to my aid, and my town to his. This comradary is awesome, and if nations help create that, more the better
  1. What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc)
  • I don't like the idea of town sections being lost.
  • Defenders have the advantive of region, and planning/traps ect. No regenerate. This would discourage pvp.
  1. Nations can PAY souls to be Neutral during WAR times.
  • I suppose I'll have to see how this works out.
  1. Unclaim restores the area to the exact time of it being claimed.
  • This should be at the discretion of a mod. A giant dirt platform with cobble walls is an eyesore and should be wiped. But otherwise lets keep it, I love wandering the map and seeing giant structures built by people long gone.
  1. Friendly fire? on/off
  • Should be tied to the party system.
  1. Should there be visible towns or should it be hidden (harder to find during war)
  • I don't understand this question.

_DELETED_10000

Legacy Supporter 3
I feel there are more downsides to FF on than FF off.

Wall of text. Do not click unless you are prepared to die.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't see the... I don't see why having more members should mean you get fucked. Isn't the point to make a large and prosperous town with many members in order to conquer others or defend your bases?

The party cap right now is 5, yes? (Perhaps 10? I Googled and found both referenced, I can't remember from in-game) So with town FF on, they're going to have to quickly and efficiently get into a group to defend correctly (Or raid, or engage in world PvP battles). People logging on are going to be spamming in chat (or yelling in TS) to get into the parties, and party leaders are going to need to have their attention divided between attacking/casting, movement, watching the field, and now reading and typing to add players to their party. With the possibility of being locked up in commands between multiple invites (which I have been before, it's really fucking annoying) in regards to 20+ member defenses and the potential of invite abuse by clever opposition...not to mention the fact they're still going to kill each other even with the parties...it's just a huge headache.

Spammers are going to spam, clickers are going to click, shots are going to go astray, and town members/allies are going to hurt, and even kill, each other. Even if FF was on for the whole game, party or not, it wouldn't stop people from using those abilities and I don't feel like the penalty for using them should be fucking each other over.

I don't think large towns, raids, groups, etc should have to enact 'no AoE' policies or purposefully exclude members and create favoritism within their town where only certain players are allowed to go out for raids and such because more than that just means they'll end up killing each other.

I also don't like the idea of limiting large-scale fights.

Soooooo...Solution! Raids! :D

Just allow small parties to 'connect' into larger 'raids' and be FF off. Raids would have a reduction in skill efficiency, limited or no exp gain, and a maximum cap of 50 members.

That levels the playing field, yes? Raids of 30 players attacking 5 players, or defending against them, would have to work harder, yet still be able to include their whole town in the fun! It would hinder quantity over quality towns stuffing themselves full of meat shields with the broad town tag FF off, and also of course the killing each other part. There's still the downside of actually inviting the players, but oh well.
Conquest points could actually become world-PvP hubs with people joining in on the raids, too, and not having to be limited to only their town members, etc.

Raids have been suggested before and shot down, so I assume that will remain the case...

All that being said...if there is in fact a full, PvP on, FF on experience where only small parties or even raids have FF off... Is the rule for killing town members and allies going to be lifted? (Let's pretend I'm good at PvP) If I log on and see a stranger near me, I'm going to kill their face in. I don't want to get banned or penalized because they're actually town members/allies and I just wasn't there when they were invited. Or, ya know, cleaving my friends to death in a dungeon that has PvP on. (If I read the New Era post correctly, it said a 'few' dungeons will be PvP-off) Or Conquest. Or anything.
I also hope this is taken in the context of the idea that the server is going to be highly populated and very active.

Side-note, with everyone so far saying yes to nations, I wonder if, should town FF be off, that would carry over to all allies within a nation?

EDIT: I just saw your post Nash. <3 We're spoiler friends!

JacobBurkey

Portal
1. No, any major town should be able to have a wizard to gtp allies or supply others with runestones to a nearby location.
2. If there were a cool down to this or perhaps a maximum limit (10, 20?) to how many could respawn there before it deactivates for the rest of the day then sure.
3.I can see pros to both ways. I guess it depends upon how easy/hard it is to build a town. If it's a lot cheaper then before then yes, otherwise no.
4. Yes
5. Saturday or sunday, though like Eldry said perhaps not every Saturday or Sunday. More thoughts on this later.
a. No
b. That's preferable, but more on that later.
c. If it's a weekly thing then yes.
6. Leave this up to mods/admins. If an area looks really good, or say even an old castle that's now filled with holes, leave it. If it was some stone box city that lasted a week or two then yes.
7. Leave things the way they are.
8. Visible as in do something like /town where (name). Then no. All of the pvp towns will know where the other pvp towns are quickly anyways. They always have.

I like having war happen on Saturday or Sunday but I'd prefer if it took a little more effort!
1. Have some sort of item that is required to start a war against an apposing town.
2. Have the aforementioned item drop from a boss that spawns (at a predetermined time, so towns can be prepared to fight over it) once/twice a week and have one be given to whichever town held the most conquest points that week (this would make it so there is more of a push to pvp in these areas also, and more pvp is good right?)
3. When you have that item you must speak with a mod/admin/potentially event member, telling them who you wish to target.
4.There being time windows in which you can decide upon doing a war (example, like Saturday from 10am-8pm) Which can be adjusted based upon admin/mod availability.
5. War will last a set period of time (30 min to an hour)

Different choices, unsure of these.
1. Allow the town that's to be attacked the option to try to bribe (potentially having a fixed max amount as to keep people from requesting stupid amounts) the attackers. If bribed the siege doesn't happen.
2. If the bribe fails then the attacked town has the option to pay a certain amount. This will make it so the town of those who are attacking is also open to be sieged. (reason is to punish people who try to focus on small and weak towns, while they try to focus on destroying a small town all other towns that they are at odds with will come and attack them instead. This would make alliances incredibly important.) This cost will be more or less depending upon the size of the attacked town. The smaller it is the less it costs to make the other town open to attack also.

Simply throwing out an idea here. It doesn't have to exactly be this way. In some things less is more. This would make sieges a bit more special. But I know this would take more effort to enforce.
Unless towny has changed and got a siege mechanic then no towny has nothing to do with siege, that's grief prevention kain was talking about before

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
Unless towny has changed and got a siege mechanic then no towny has nothing to do with siege, that's grief prevention kain was talking about before

Yup I know! But Kainzo said "What day should be "war" --- preferring Sunday here. (War can have blocks broken, town-sections lost etc)" That makes war more like the sieges mentioned before. Anywhere I said siege feel free to replace it with the word war as they seem to be pretty much the same this way!

I feel there are more downsides to FF on than FF off.

Wall of text. Do not click unless you are prepared to die.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't see the... I don't see why having more members should mean you get fucked. Isn't the point to make a large and prosperous town with many members in order to conquer others or defend your bases?

The party cap right now is 5, yes? (Perhaps 10? I Googled and found both referenced, I can't remember from in-game) So with town FF on, they're going to have to quickly and efficiently get into a group to defend correctly (Or raid, or engage in world PvP battles). People logging on are going to be spamming in chat (or yelling in TS) to get into the parties, and party leaders are going to need to have their attention divided between attacking/casting, movement, watching the field, and now reading and typing to add players to their party. With the possibility of being locked up in commands between multiple invites (which I have been before, it's really fucking annoying) in regards to 20+ member defenses and the potential of invite abuse by clever opposition...not to mention the fact they're still going to kill each other even with the parties...it's just a huge headache.

Spammers are going to spam, clickers are going to click, shots are going to go astray, and town members/allies are going to hurt, and even kill, each other. Even if FF was on for the whole game, party or not, it wouldn't stop people from using those abilities and I don't feel like the penalty for using them should be fucking each other over.

I don't think large towns, raids, groups, etc should have to enact 'no AoE' policies or purposefully exclude members and create favoritism within their town where only certain players are allowed to go out for raids and such because more than that just means they'll end up killing each other.

I also don't like the idea of limiting large-scale fights.

Soooooo...Solution! Raids! :D

Just allow small parties to 'connect' into larger 'raids' and be FF off. Raids would have a reduction in skill efficiency, limited or no exp gain, and a maximum cap of 50 members.

That levels the playing field, yes? Raids of 30 players attacking 5 players, or defending against them, would have to work harder, yet still be able to include their whole town in the fun! It would hinder quantity over quality towns stuffing themselves full of meat shields with the broad town tag FF off, and also of course the killing each other part. There's still the downside of actually inviting the players, but oh well.
Conquest points could actually become world-PvP hubs with people joining in on the raids, too, and not having to be limited to only their town members, etc.

Raids have been suggested before and shot down, so I assume that will remain the case...

All that being said...if there is in fact a full, PvP on, FF on experience where only small parties or even raids have FF off... Is the rule for killing town members and allies going to be lifted? (Let's pretend I'm good at PvP) If I log on and see a stranger near me, I'm going to kill their face in. I don't want to get banned or penalized because they're actually town members/allies and I just wasn't there when they were invited. Or, ya know, cleaving my friends to death in a dungeon that has PvP on. (If I read the New Era post correctly, it said a 'few' dungeons will be PvP-off) Or Conquest. Or anything.
I also hope this is taken in the context of the idea that the server is going to be highly populated and very active.

Side-note, with everyone so far saying yes to nations, I wonder if, should town FF be off, that would carry over to all allies within a nation?

EDIT: I just saw your post Nash. <3 We're spoiler friends!

Don't want make it an eye sore! :x