• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Hostile Mobs with levels

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Pve is the only way to level your combat class. Hostile mobs are currently hard to find. With the loss of mob arenas and the infrequency of events, rarely do you encounter a challenge when fighting monsters. These factors combined make leveling combat for me time-consuming and at times dull because each mob is the same.

My solution is a simple idea: Spawn mobs with varying levels of difficulty. Higher level mobs might have more health, do more damage, give much more experience, and may drop more loot. You could also give them skills, like a spider spawning webs near you, but that's a low priority.

Hostile entities with varying levels is an essential part of any RPG, and would definitely add more to the hardcore feel of Herocraft. It would make leveling combat far more interesting and possibly nerve-wracking. It also solves the low mob problem because instead of searching half the map to kill ten zombies you have to kill one really really tough zombie for the same amount of experience.

I can admit implementation is easier said then done. The main problem I foresee is making enough of each level of mob available so that it isn't impossible for lower level players to train alone. This is a problem in every game though, normally it's solved by locations. In minecraft it might be more appropriate to make higher level mobs more prevalent deeper underground.

Algsa777

TNT
I love the since you can add potion effects on mobs now and with the next up skellies and zombie will have armor so it makes since.
also i would love to c some boss mobs in gaint dugneons/arenas/collusiems.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I love the since you can add potion effects on mobs now and with the next up skellies and zombie will have armor so it makes since.
also i would love to c some boss mobs in gaint dugneons/arenas/collusiems.
I had a think about this. If we could mix in customized mobs with normal ones.... Oh billy, THAT would make PvE interesting. Maybe we could even have presets that sort of represent our own monsters...

Kimsgrim

Legacy Supporter 5
Would there be anyway to indicate you are fighting a more powerful mob? Like when you initiate combat with a higher level mob, a message would pop up saying "level #" or "Powerful, Vicious, sickly mob"

"ninjasalad used smite against a Powerful Zombie!"
"ninjasalad has attacks a Powerful Zombie"

*Strikes mob* - "Powerful Zombie" is said once in chat.

Just some thoughts.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
@Kainzo Here's some thoughts. Add an integer called level to the class com.herocraftonline.heroes.characters.Monster. Add the appropriate getters, setters, and a new constructor that would take an integer argument for level and compute damage, health, and experience based off that level.

Each time the game spawns a monster, you throw it into the CharacterManager with the level determined by an expression similar to this one:
level = 256-Math.random()*location.getY()

The configuration files would contain Monster base health, base damage, health gain per level, damage gain per level, experience gain per level. You might want to add loot in there as well.

Edit: @ninjasalad
Would there be anyway to indicate you are fighting a more powerful mob?
Just missed your post. My recommendation for this making mob levels show up to the skill "scan" that casters, healers, and scribes have.

It may also be possible to add some code to give them various names depending on level. I saw a constructor for monsters in Heroes to declare a name. You could change these names based on levels with a simple if-else tree, but I'm not sure if those names will show up when you use skills on them

Kourne

Legacy Supporter 3
This idea sounds really amazing and seems possible to code aswell.
The only thing that makes me shudder are vicious cave spiders...

Kourne

Legacy Supporter 3
I only encounter cave spiders from spawners. Spawners should produce low level monsters for both abuse and difficulty reasons.

Sounds reasonable, differing power levels will add a whole new sadistic factor.
/skill scan - "Power level: 9000+"

c12095

Holy Shit!
Im very interested to see if this can be done however, there would need to be some other way for players to find mob levels besides scan, low level players are usually alone and most don't understand skills fully. This could cause a lot of issues with leveling if not.

JDFinal

Legacy Supporter 5
Maybe there could be a colored bar above each mob. The bar would represent the difficulty of the mob?

Green = Easy
Blue- Medium
Red- Hard
Silver- Intense

And say 'easy' mobs (green) are recommended for players lvls 1-15. Etc.

masterT007

Iron
Maybe there could be a colored bar above each mob. The bar would represent the difficulty of the mob?

Green = Easy
Blue- Medium
Red- Hard
Silver- Intense

And say 'easy' mobs (green) are recommended for players lvls 1-15. Etc.
Or maybe it would be better if you didn't know excatly what they are. Example:
Green: easy or medium
Blue: medium or hard
Red: hard or intense

And you need to scan to be sure.

And here's some skills, and skills get better by level.
Spiders: Webs ( like mentioned above, more webs per level)
Cave-spider poison sting ( shoots and poison arrow, less cooldown by level)
Zombies: Brain Damage ( Blindness I for easy, Blindness II for medium....)
Enderman: Wrapped in Fear ( Can't move for 1 second for easy, 2 seconds for medium....)
Skeletons: Critical hit ( less attack damage, weakness I for easy, Weakness II for medium...)
Creepers: More sulphur ( Can explode once when easy, explodes twice for medium....)
Slimes: Sticky goo ( slowness I easy, Slowness II medium....)
Blaze: Trail of fire ( when it flies over a block has chance to ignite, increases by level)
Ghast: Tentacle whip ( has a chance to take damage when you touch a ghast)
Zombie-pigman: Infection ( chance to get poison I when hit, increases by level)

This will Buff and Debuff removal skills more usefull.
This might be super hard to code, but I'm almost sure it's possable.
And would be awesome if inplanted. ;)
Hope you like the ideas.
master,

Kimsgrim

Legacy Supporter 5
This would be an amazing addition to the server, would add a totally new dimension to the game.

Algsa777

TNT
Dont forget you can easily add Potions affects with version and next version (Enchanted)(Dyed) Armor. I would love to see Dyed Armor giving special effects specially for Boss Mobs:
Example:
Trick Or Trigger Skeleton:
Pumpkin Head
Pure Black Tunic and Legging with Projectile Resistance and Protect
Golden Shoes with REALLY high Featherfall
Then have its Arrows explode for low dmg and a chance of either sending out Splash Potion of Poison 2 or Splash Potion of Healing where the arrow hit.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Dont forget you can easily add Potions affects with version and next version (Enchanted)(Dyed) Armor. I would love to see Dyed Armor giving special effects specially for Boss Mobs:
Example:
Trick Or Trigger Skeleton:
Pumpkin Head
Pure Black Tunic and Legging with Projectile Resistance and Protect
Golden Shoes with REALLY high Featherfall
Then have its Arrows explode for low dmg and a chance of either sending out Splash Potion of Poison 2 or Splash Potion of Healing where the arrow hit.
I didn't think you could have individual pieces of armor on a mob, just sets of one kind or another.