• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Horses Discussion

Hexirious

Wood
So your saying even tho the meaning of dragoon is horse riding infantry you would still give it to ranger which usually is based around a woody type character like Robin Hood?
Think somebody read "Rangers Apprentice"? I know in that series "rangers" used horses and were some kind of intelligence force as well as a form of cavalry, but not in this game. But still, why shouldn't rangers have horses? just because dragoon means horse infantry (Calvary) doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to use them to get around.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
We havent decided how horses will be integrated - here's some thoughts.

1) Make it so horses are usable by everyone, but require a skill or cost to summon/activate
2) Make it so some classes actually have to level to X to get the ability to summon their skill-horse, where as others can learn a riding skill to bring one out... not 100% on this.
3) Make it a commodity and only the richest of the rich can ride horses.

I don't really know the best route but we'll come up with something soon.
Give warrior specs, rangers, and clerics the ability to summon horses, and let everyone else be able to ride them in the wild?

Your arguments make me want to fucking murder myself. Are you mentally ill or something all you say is THIS CLASS CAN'T KITE AND HAS SHIT MELEE DAMAGE EVEN THO WE HAVE ICEBOLT BLINK AND ROOT AND ALSO CAN DO 500+ DAMAGE IN 2 SECONDS. Your brain is fucking completely useless
ur not even paynig attention, r u blind? he said no caster skills on horse i argued against that, cuz we do have those things u said, but whats the use if we cant use?

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
ur not even paynig attention, r u blind? he said no caster skills on horse i argued against that, cuz we do have those things u said, but whats the use if we cant use?
Ignore him. No point in listening to someone who says "mounted-infantry."

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
To anyone wondering why would horses fit Ranger: Ever heard of horseback archery? There are also some RPG games where Ranger is a horse unit with a bow. And balancewise horses would give Ranger some more strenght (mobility while shooting), and also make the class more interesting.
As for Dragoon, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the class is made based on Dragoon from FF, where they usually have dragons.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
I said Rangers don't fit on horseback unless they're Parthian Multi, Parthians were famous for their horse archers. Same goes for scythians, but usually archers would be foot units.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
All I can say, if I don't get to ride a horse, my story will make no sense, think about the lore! D:

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
I said Rangers don't fit on horseback unless they're Parthian Multi, Parthians were famous for their horse archers. Same goes for scythians, but usually archers would be foot units.

I always though rangers were mens who lived with the nature.
The bow is their best friend, and they got the possebility to track down any living creature, by reading the nature.

But yes, rangers lore kinda do fit horses..
Just imagine Aragon/strider from LOTR (lol).

But if you think of it that way, does ever class fit with horses (or so), since everyone used horses back in the old times ;)

Hexirious

Wood
I think archers are different than rangers. I personally thought rangers as some kind of intelligence force (hence the tracking ability and stealth) and archers simply a unit with bows shooting on command from a distance to lessen the numbers of an advancing force to make it easier on the infantry.

Based on that: say a ranger is sent to spy on another (Example:) town due to rumors of them assembling arms, the ranger would have to get near the town, leave his horse at a distance to avoid patrols or to prevent the town from knowing he was there at all, and once (if) he sees that they are grouping up for an attack, he would sneak back to his horse and get to his own town as fast as he could to prepare for an oncoming attack.

Just like people who are warriors probably think of themselves as knights, and not normal infantry (just like modern times, there's army, then there's rangers, same thing here: Infantry= army, Rangers= knights.) its probably same thing with rangers. rangers don't just want to think of themselves as just an archer in a line of archers just like him, they would want to think of themselves as something better, like the ranger i described. nobody want to play a game where you're the average guy, you want to play as something you aren't. Example: Call of Duty... it sold 13 million copies the first week of release this year. why? because in the story you destroy everything in your path to carry out some highly secret mission as a team member of the best task force made from only the best of the best from around the world that only 5 or so people ever get to be in. And its not just CoD, its Halo, where your the last of your unit (Spartan) you destroy thousand of aliens single handed and save the human race. Battlefield 3, where you save the US and other countries from nukes. the list goes on. So there's your proof if you don't believe me. heck, look it up if you still don't.

Now, I'm just stating a personal opinion, so don't rage :p

Weikauno

Coder
Make horses only usable by rogues specs. Give ranger a summon horse skill and remove/nerf hard icearrow as compensation.

Caster specs cannot be allowed to use horses, imagine a necro running around on a horse.
what about warriors? they should at least be able to ride. otherwise, this sounds good

kjoseph98

TNT
I think that rangers should be able to fight in combat with horses, as well as maybe dragoons and paladins, while others cannot fight with them but still ride them.

TheSojourner

Legacy Supporter 8
My opinion is that they shouldn't be restricted to certain classes as that will probably cause an overpopulation of said classes.

I like some of the idea Kainzo's ideas though. More along the lines of a separate riding skill that has a certain level requirement and costs coin.

epicwin324

Legacy Supporter 3
IMO, horses are just going to complicate everything in terms of combat. I feel like they would be better to just be able to ride around and move faster on, and once tagged in combat they disappear, only to reappear when using a skill. Don't get me wrong, I think horse combat would be incredibly fun, but it would be a hell of a challenge in terms of balancing. I mean clearly you can't have people like wizards riding horses in combat, but would giving that much mobility to someone like a paladin or dreadknight really be fair in a fight? They're already a force to reckon with up close, but the ability to continuously run around you, dodging attacks would give them a huge advantage. Basically, you're either giving the most bursty classes too much mobility, or the most tanky classes too much mobility. You're stuck in this pickle where there would be a small group of classes that wouldn't break the game to allow combat on horses. It's just not that practical. At that point it would be better to disallow horses entirely. SO I conclude that I feel that horses should just be for out of combat use.

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
Well, this is my opinion:
Only, warrior specs and ranger are able to use horses.
Why?
Warrior specs: Well, everyone that reads medieval stories and books know that normal troops can get on a horse and ride, they learn to that while training.
Ranger: As some one above said, have u heard of horse back archer?
Farmer, mystic can summon horse
Why?
Cause they are nature's kids.
Edit: Horses, in my opinion, should be able to use while in combat, it would be so much fun, adding ton of stratergy to HC.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Lore: All warrior specs and rangers would use horses in combat.
RPG: All the warrior's classes are in one shape or form a "Knight." Rangers as being guardians of nature and "Master" of wild beasts.