• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Herogates.... removal or higher cost?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Well - we're nearing the release of Heroes and its becoming more clear that Heroes 'should' be able to balance out the retard-fest that is PVP.

Two things come to mind;

1) PVP can be fun in the right environment
2) Herogates make travel too safe for too cheap

My suggestions - set up 4 Herogates.

One in each cardinal direction or area of the map. PVP off the direct port in - and make people walk to their towns from their.

Thoughts?

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
This would be exciting, really! I want to see beautiful roads filled with terrified people, and I've got two other words for you: Train Heists. Yes. Train heists could be a reality if we do this.

Elriond

Gold
If you're going to remove herogates to each town, then just go the whole way and only use them for the other maps such as nether/ffa/etc. But yeah i've got no problem with the removal of the gates in this way to promote more interaction/pvp encounters. I think the test server was proof enough of how that affected interaction without gates. Also four cardinal gates might be interesting for the "kingdoms" to take control of.

Doreagarde said:
This would be exciting, really! I want to see beautiful roads filled with terrified people, and I've got two other words for you: Train Heists. Yes. Train heists could be a reality if we do this.

Roads are fine by me, but NO to rails going everywhere. Keep them within kingdoms, city to city.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
Remember the good ol days when the roads were dangerous? I miss those.

Okay let's see here..........

Yes, I agree.

4 Herogates.

Map is 2,500b in all 4 directions.

X 1250 Z 0 <Herogate>
X -1250 Z 0 <Herogate>
Z 1250 X 0 <Herogate>
Z -1250 X 0 <Herogate>

Sound about right?

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Brutalacerate said:

Yes, I agree.

4 Herogates.

X 1250 Z 0 <Herogate>
X -1250 Z 0 <Herogate>
Z 1250 X 0 <Herogate>
Z -1250 X 0 <Herogate>

Sound about right?

Well, we don't have to be clinical about the locations. Getting them close to those spots, but in nice areas (like mountaintops or beaches) would be nice. As long as they aren't in the middle of existing towns.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
Well yah, of course. Haha. Just a general location. I think this would be nice!

I really, really miss when people would say, "Be careful on the West road." etc.

I say BUMP up the price of the Herogates, only have a portal to each "World" and to those 4 spots.

This would really make the Wilderness more interesting.

I know we need something to spice up Herocraft and this would be a start, for sure.

AudieMurphy135

Soulsand
Brutalacerate said:

Yes, I agree.

4 Herogates.

X 1250 Z 0 <Herogate>
X -1250 Z 0 <Herogate>
Z 1250 X 0 <Herogate>
Z -1250 X 0 <Herogate>

Sound about right?

^This.

I always enjoyed traveling from Kumo to Sanctum and back on foot, before I had redstone to recall (and before I realized that the HG to Sanctum was free :p ).

gtastuntdude

Legacy Supporter 7
Main concern I have with it is, it will make investigating pe's harder for guides...Considering we not only have to walk there, we have to risk getting killed on the way.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Well - more or less, guides are to answer the newbie style permissions - but for merit and awesomeness - they do have the logging access

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
gtastuntdude said:
Main concern I have with it is, it will make investigating pe's harder for guides...Considering we not only have to walk there, we have to risk getting killed on the way.

If we implement this idea, the Guides will have to leave a lot of the petitions to Mods and Admins due to the difficulty in investigating them, just like Mods have to leave some petitions to Admins, because they have more permissions. Either that or give Guides /tp, but that's up to Kain.

DanVonTrap

Legacy Supporter 3
Sounds like a good idea, Ive always been a believer of players using carts and roads, just think of the hit and runs you could do to people on the tracks would be awesome.

"HOLT this is a robbery......ssssssssss....OH SHIT"

P.s If there is gong to be 4 herogates make them expensive.

Elriond

Gold
Actually with Notch having "fixed" nether in smp for the next patch, wouldn't you rather have your roads going through the nether for faster travel? Also, should be nice to have nether access anywhere.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Kainzo said:
Not in the want to have guides with /tp...

too ... abusable.

Yeah, I assumed that was your stance on it. Facetiousness doesn't carry well over the internet.

7thKnight

Legacy Supporter 7
I think only four Herogates is the best solution in this case, still up the price though as well to promote even more walking. For the guides problem why not put up warps for the towns?

When the nether becomes fully functional in SMP Rapid transit will be the way to go and maybe even the abolishment of the 4 Main Herogates could follow. Would be cool to have menacing ruins on each side of the map of they get shut down :p

I wonder if there could be problems with the nether in Sanctum and the nether in FFA causing issues with each other?

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
only 4 herogates seem a little not enough for me, we got an huge map

why not adding 4 more herogates in N-W, S-W, S-E, N-E ?

or, more rp: when a civilization grow big enough, they will have enough power to create their own herogate, or more simply:
one herogate for each kingdom!

that will boost the need for people to make grow their town to reach kingdomship

and, of course, less herogates mean more coins used for taking the herogate

DanVonTrap

Legacy Supporter 3
Use your legs man to many people abuse the herogates, feel the game for what its made fore exploring the vast world of herocraft.

Also im sure a coin system could be put into using carts to to get to diff locations.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Here's my 2c on it:
Herogates are way too safe. Newbies are immediately recruited via herogate and given the 20c to get to their new township. Thus avoiding the long arduous walks through the map to those towns. There are things to see in the map that aren't easily seen when taking herogates. So yeah a herogate in 4 directions would be awesome, maybe offer townships to make rails from the herogate along with from spawn.

So Herogates eliminate the whole hardcore part of going to a township, but also eliminates the need for rails. Intercity rail systems work fine but people don't get the size of the map and may end up finding that the map is a lot more expansive that it seems from a township point of view.