• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Herocraft, my random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadastorm

Legacy Supporter 1
I’ve been playing Herocraft for over a year now and I was around for Sanctum along with Zeal. Lately I haven’t been playing on regular of a basis as I used too and I was wondering to myself why. This post is not meant to attack Herocraft, but rather to reflect on things from my perspective in a constructive form.

I’ve talked to the few friends that haven’t gone inactive on Herocraft recently and it seems like they’re all saying the same thing, Herocraft has gotten dull, it’s different, but they can’t put their finger on what has changed. It’s a combination of small things that have really dragged the server down, but instead of addressing them and improving the server we’re just looking for new players, that’s why we’re implementing a greylist soon.

I think the biggest change to Herocraft has been the implementation of the Heroes plugin. Originally it was set up for pvp classes and crafter classes. This was nice because the creative builders got to build and everyone else got to fight. Then on the latest map they changed it so crafters were more of a side class, the stronger emphasis and focus being on pvp and how “hardcore” the server was. I really think that creativeness is gone as people just go and kill each other now. Even then, however, classes are still a mess and balancing is difficult. Things are always changing whether that be the amount of xp you get from something or how much mana a skill uses, it’s always in flux. That’s what the balancing team is for though, to fix these issues, but from what I’ve heard their opinions and thoughts are rarely heard. Also, gaining xp sucks! The only way to do so at the moment is really to grind for hours and hours on end and while that may be hardcore, it’s not fun. I swear I’ve been stuck at the same level forever and once I get close to leveling I die and lose half my xp. And then xp gets nerfed again making it harder to level up for minimal skills.

Heroes itself is a very restrictive plugin than your normal Minecraft world. Only so and so can use these weapons, only so and so can place these blocks. I understand why these are in place, but it’s just another thing that hinders your normal Minecraft experience. Also, with the implementation of new classes come more restrictions. Towns also aren’t that fun to join anymore. The best part about them used to be the community you joined, but so many people have gone inactive and that community is disintegrating because the server isn’t that fun anymore. My entire town of 40 people slowly went inactive and it seemed like there was nothing I could do about it. Right now the only benefit of joining a town is for protection, but even then you aren’t safe from being attacked, getting raided, or having a citizen abuse their regions and steal your stuff before leaving. Taxes were implemented to make sure they were staying alive, but they are definitely more of a burden now more than ever. The town plugin was made to regulate towns and that sucks right now. Owners can’t promote other people to owners, what? That makes no sense. Heroes is really text-input based and that gets tedious typing /level, /skill, .whatever. Sure, install improved chat, have only Spout users be able to play, but even if you do this less people can play.

TL;DR Overall, Herocraft just isn’t as fun as it once was. It’s restrictive, focuses too much on pvp instead of building, classes are imbalanced, and it takes forever to level up. You need to donate for the slightest bit of protection or join a town and risk getting raided by others or your own town mates. I’m not the only one who thinks that things need to be changed, so many people I knew have gone inactive and the friends that are left share my sentiments. Herocraft is different than it once was, but I think this version can still be just as great.

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2

The reason that crafter was changed to an off spec, was because the builders were sick of being helpless against combat specs.

The real reason this server is getting boring is the community. The community has gone to complete shit. The buildings look like shit, and the players are so hostile that they wont even group together to fight a common enemy.

There is no sense of community for new players, everyone has their clique and they don't do anything with anyone else.

And this isn't something Kainzo can fix.

This server is dieing, and its just because the players are shit.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
I haven't played since the very few days before Zeal was wiped, but before I watched my brother play on it all the time. I have to say a lot of the buildings do look like shit ex: Box Towns, Dirt houses etc.. Also since of the MANY region abusers in towns, new/old players find it very hard to have a sense of there items being secure. You also have to remember things change, old memories always seem to be better than the new ones, but we must move on. Though I really do agree what iHazBryn said, Kainzo can't fix it neither can we, it's the other players that need to do something.

Nadastorm

Legacy Supporter 1
The real reason this server is getting boring is the community. The community has gone to complete shit. The buildings look like shit, and the players are so hostile that they wont even group together to fight a common enemy.

There is no sense of community for new players, everyone has their clique and they don't do anything with anyone else.
How did the community become so bad though? That's what I can't figure out.

A

alexhoff1

Well, I know why.

Treeps attack everyone on sight.
The nice people joined treeps.
Treeps have region abusers that get banned just to abuse regions.
They ban players left and right for offenses that may not even justify the punishment.
The main core of players has left for other places.
We won't group together 'cuz you guys only SPAM ME FOR MONEY!

there we go :D

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Well, I know why.

Treeps attack everyone on sight.
The nice people joined treeps.
Treeps have region abusers that get banned just to abuse regions.
They ban players left and right for offenses that may not even justify the punishment.
The main core of players has left for other places.
We won't group together 'cuz you guys only SPAM ME FOR MONEY!

there we go :D
Sounds legit

ThatAintFalco

Portal
I can't agree more. Herocraft is getting dull, but for some reason, I want to come to my computer just to grind on mobs. Herocraft just has it's magic. I've always had ideas to make things nicer, but never did. I have a few suggestions or projects I might do.

Projects
1. Have a mellon farm on all four roads that goes from spawn to the end of the world ( Help those newbies out )

2. Have tress on all four roads that goes from spawn to the end of the world. ( Help those newbies out )

3. Have chests hidden underground filled with stone material, and basic survival gear. ( Help those newbies out )

Suggestion

This one has been going on my mind of a bit. I really want Herocraft to have a tutorial island.
One that has no pvp, but a easy way to level. Guilds could teleport there to help out with the newbs, making it a learning process rather than a walk out of spawn then getting lost or some sort. It may take a bit out of the " hardcore " motto, but I believe that it would make the first hours more fun for the less experienced. Also, make leveling a bit easier. If the current exp would be 1.5 or doubled, I think that it would make herocraft more fun.

(Summary of tutorial island)

• Spawn in cottage
  • Introduce what herocraft is slowly, with the importhing things ( MA, classes, TC, Herogates, Towns. ect...)
  • Have signs with how to choose a combat class
  • Have a sign which makes a skill to teleport back to the cottage
  • Make player walk to a place to learn about crafting
  • Include beautiful architecture, and ugly boxes ( shows that we have pretty, not ugly, buildings
  • Learn about crafters
  • Have mines, food and tree farms
  • Have a dungeon for easy level ups
  • Once they reach level 10 on each class, teleport them to the main world

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
How did the community become so bad though? That's what I can't figure out.
The community isn't bad, really, just different from what we're used to.
The way I see it, I joined back in Zeal (I get my Vet title in 2 days! Woop woop!) and when I joined I was amazed at the sense of community. There were large groups of allied towns, towns sometimes had 3 or more allies. And there were far fewer towns (from what I remember). Now there seem to be quite a few towns, and like @iHazBryn said, people are no longer working together to fight a common enemy, but everyone is against everyone.

If there could be some way to bring the community together, that would be great!

Maybe something like... our best server pvpers vs another servers pvpers?

Or maybe a pvp tournament, you put your name in, groups are selected for you at random. Meaning, you have to fight with randoms and work with them to win. Winning group splits a huge reward?

I dunno, but I think something needs to happen to bring the community together.
There just seems to be so much harassment all the time, people are so hateful it sucks :<

Well, might not be shit, just different from what I remember back when I started.
Did I even just say anything of worth? *rereads*

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
Just like I said "You also have to remember things change, old memories always seem to be better than the new ones, but we must move on. Though I really do agree what iHazBryn said, Kainzo can't fix it neither can we"

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
(Summary of tutorial island)

While in theory I love the idea (might need some tweaks) I'm not sure how possible that is. What we need, really, are people to be more friendly towards noobs. When I was joined I was brought under the wings of some server veterans. I wont lie, I didn't even read the signs at Spawn, they helped me out so much I didn't need to. Hell, I remember some people standing around spawn waiting for new people to log in for the first time, to recruit them to their towns and help them out.

But, a tutorial island would require a whole different world, like Warshard or the Nether. Not sure that's plausible at this point, Kainzo does an amazing job to keep everything running, up to date, and keep us a happy bunch.
We do need to be more noob friendly, though, I agree with that.

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
Just like I said "You also have to remember things change, old memories always seem to be better than the new ones, but we must move on. Though I really do agree what iHazBryn said, Kainzo can't fix it neither can we"

But I think we can fix it. As a community we can, WE are the problem. Don't think you're sitting there, watching the problem and not contributing. We are the community, part of a whole.
I think if we worked together to try and change the tone of things, maybe we can make it better.

I mean, become more noob friendly, work with other players even though they might not be allied or friends. What happened to just helping a stranger? XD

A

alexhoff1

Barn stop posting about bringing the community together, your town didn't work, and I think you are a treep >.> (EDITED)

'nough said on that,

now another thing to add..

these days you can't rely on allies for crap. all I get is raid messages, guess who does ALL the breaching and ALL the porting? hmm? ME! that's why it's crap.

EDIT: I help noobs out when I can usually, unless asked to kill them, otherwise I give them free stuff and ports around if they are in riften :3

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
Since the release of new skills, getting inside towns were much easier this map. With Superjump for Dragoons, and EnderPearls for wizards, getting inside towns were much easier. But because of this, some towns weren't much of a good PvP town - meaning that it will be hard for them to defend against raiders. So some towns are built that looked like box towns because of this. Last map, the only way to get inside towns are: Blinking then getting groupteleported by a wizard, pillaring and then jumping on to the wall for towns that have proper walls instead of sky high walls, finding a tunnel that leads inside the town, finding a hole at the wall of a town, or someone being a noob from that town and forgetting to lock doors/gates.

A

alexhoff1

On another note...

Towns are BAD, they usually just buy gold for a lot less than they could (I.E. 8c each, total scam rate for townies).
Getting allies means they want your money.
Towns tend to not have unbreachable walls, due to LAZY mayors.
Mayors don't seem to do a whole lot these days.
The kingdoms on the map are failing, due to a lack of money.
People like xexorian ask for 60k and they try to scam you for it.
Treeps don't have an unbreachable storage.

That's also why the server has community issues.

EDIT: I wrote the last 2 posts very tiredly, sorry if I offended you treeps <3
EDIT2: 100c is not even minorly difficult to obtain, which makes the "tax rate" for gold @ 8c a piece a load of.. "balony".

A

alexhoff1

Guardian, that sounds good and all..

but please don't advertise anything on this thread :3

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
the players are so hostile that they wont even group together to fight a common enemy.
There is no common enemy this map.

Edit: I feel like clarifying. Last map the common enemy could easily be said to be the treepers. The difference between last maps treepers and this maps treepers is that last map they actually did shit that caused the community to be unhappy, namely camping airbus' shop. These days the closest thing we have is the new treepers but all you guys do is raid and nobody gives a fuck about that because it causes no real distress to anyone. Also, even if another shop did come around it wouldn't matter if the new treepers camped it. The treepers outnumber far too much these days for anyone to even bother trying to fight them in a large battle without a border to hump whereas last map they were willing to camp with only 1 or 2 people giving the ability to actually win.

Now for my thoughts on why herocraft is sucking.

1. Lack of alliances/wars
2. Box towns with glass roofs which disallow wars or general raiding.
3. Trade district killing a lot of the pvp that happened around shops.
4. People not realizing that the first 3 issues could be dealt with without builders getting raped as hard as they would think.
5. Jesus fuck the grind is way too awful.
6. Map is too big and towns too spread.
7. Too many small towns with inactive members. (do citizen audits even happen anymore?)
8. Not enough fun events >.>

In short, the server is somewhat hostile towards pvp these days. Heroes is like 70% geared towards pvp and when you boast about being hardcore you don't attract real hardcore players, you attract people thinking they will find pvp.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I think the main reason HC's community has grown dull, community wise, is because of inactive towns. Nomatter what you say, PLENTY of town mayors are inactive. The monitoring of towns is not like it used to be, whereas every week there would be an audit, a tax day, ect, to make sure that citizens on the citizens list WERE active and that the town was working.

What has this left us with? With fewer members online, mayors that arn't dedicated to their town, and no enthusiasm for their work, this leaves us unfinished, ugly and badly made structures, and MANY ghost towns. People have seperated into different communities, there are now many towns with less active citizens, instead of fewer towns with many active citizens.

Think about it; the Communist Collective, Atlantis, Titan, Birchwood, Demoxia, to name a few, are towns which NOBODY hears about anymore (their dead), but their regions still exist and their threads are still up. Where is Lastivity when you need her? :(

We need less towns. Not just to get rid of the inactive ones, but to have a very strict limit. A limit of 30 wouldn't work, that's too high. The community isn't big enough to have 30 active towns. We need a 10-15 town limit, to increase ONLY when there is space in the community. The limit, combined with audits, taxes, ect, would ensure towns are ALIVE.

With 10-15 limit, towns in general would grow bigger. People wouldn't spread out into different communities, they would join those available. Those available would be active, not half-made towns. As the 10-15 towns grow more active, more people in their chats, ect, then alliences and PvP war would become more important. There wouldn't be petty alliences that nobody sticks to, ect.

Of course, to introduce something like this now would not work, you'd have to get rid of too many towns, mainly those that are just barely alive. This sort of thing requires a new map. Let's face it, Warshard has helped, but the main map is just ugly now. If you want me to go on about this, they I will, but let's keep things focused.

The Solution:

Either we let a group of players demolish all old structures, replant masses of forests, and hope that townships, with the current system, remain alive. Or, we start a new map, with a much stricter limit, to allow townships to make proper structures, with more members, ect ect.

Barnubus

Legacy Supporter 8
Lots of talking here
I agree that there used to be one place where you could go for pvp, where this big bad guy could hold up the server and others would have to group up to keep things going. We don't have that any more, I think maybe we spend to much time in spawn, and sadly border hopping.
I think maybe no TD shops? Make shops be on the roads leading out. Maybe spawn could be smaller, people could build closer. It's an idea, at least.

Also lots of talking here

While I agree with you on a low town limit, I'm not sure I agree on map wipe, it's just not there yet. I think create the limit, and not allow any new towns.
Next map, when it comes in the FUTURE (not any time soon mind you), then impose a town limit. 15-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.