• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion HeroCraft Balance in General. Economics. Thoughts for the Future.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
Hello all. I write this as a small thought experiment and hopefully engaging discussion. There are always issues with any game that ever comes out, as bugs and balance and communities find new ways to break it. What I wish to discuss here is a plethora of ideas and wishes I have for HeroCraft. Many of these suggestions are not based on number and empirical evidence, as that simply takes time and energy to look over and correctly implement. And with the new map being released in two months, now is the time to argue and debate for what you want in herocraft. As well as helping out the staff as much as possible by being respectful and knowledgeable of what's going down.

I want to address the mentality in HeroCraft first. Grind to late game, PvP for a while, change classes depending on what our town needs maybe, master it, get bored, change again, repeat. I find this unfortunate, and I believe this stems from two issues. The first being that there is no separation between Crafters and Combateers. Second, that it is simply too easy to achieve mastery. So much so 6-7 classes in a couple days is actually easy. 3-4 classes in a day is entirely doing. Not only that, but the grind is boring. It's so easy that there is no accomplishment for mastering anything. In fact, your looked down on if you're not always mastered in some class, since it takes so little time to do so.

I haven't gone into the separation between Crafting and Combat yet, as it ties into my overall argument.

One of the largest things HC is missing compared to what I remember back in the day, is team play and dedication. People want instant gratification, which if fine. But if you completely give in to what people think they want, then the experience becomes watered down and lose the initial spark it had.

This where having Crafters and Combat people have to decide which they want to be comes in. What happens when you're entire server is capable of living on it's own? You get small skirmishes, no drama, the experience is lonely and you don't get to connect to people. Once you have to have this separation, it causes conflicts and relations you otherwise would not have. You have to have certain classes and professions to be a successful town, unless every position can be filled by a couple people. Well, not "unless" but you get the point.

Town wars become much more intense, as you have to protect your Crafters so they don't lose levels and can do what they need to do. While your Warriors can not function without their Crafters.

Which seg-ways nicely into my next point: mastering is just too fuckin' easy. What the hell even is endgame if there is no early or mid game? It's just linear and bland. Not only that, but it supports my previous point on having roles. Master every profession, and every class, and you can do everything yourself. No need for interaction with others.

Bring back where it takes an honest good couple days to master. At least. A week if would be ideal probably, but that's getting into numbers I don't want to discuss. I may know some articles others don't in terms of the future of HC, but I know that not having the need for roles in HeroCraft really hurts it.

If these large strokes can make the overall idea of HeroCraft interesting and awesome to play, then the small details and balancing can be worked out over time. The fundamentals of HC are absolutely amazing. A great Hero's plugin, a great Staff, a great deal of Drama that will never be too far away, now all we need to get back is the great community. Commitment and interaction between people is part of the reason why I loved HeroCraft so much in my earlier years.

The one thing I would disapprove of is really forcing people to have to work together artificially, and without commitment. I can't really explain it, but it's like the instance system in WoW. Or at least, what it used to be if it's changed. Forcing people together in instances because it's the fastest way of leveling. What is natural is when people are forced to work together because it's to hard to handle on their own. Or because one of them needs a piece that someone else had. I'm having somewhat of a mental block trying to describe the difference between the two, but I think it's the needy-ness of the community to work together. Difficulty inspires the need to work with other people, while ease forces people to have to want to work together? I'm not sure, it's a strange dynamic I would probably need to think on more.

Since this is turning out to be more like a ramble of thoughts, I guess I'll continue with my next though.

Economics. Money is far to easy to come by as it stands. You can get around 300 coins simply by mastering a class, which is 200c profit. Port was done away in place of warp I guess? Which made spawn travel null. HeroGates don't cost money, so it's free travel to basically anywhere always. As far as I know, Alchemist is entirely pointless now. Gunpowder, slime balls and reds-stone are amazingly easy to get with medals of Vengence. Smelt Gold and Iron is pointless now cause gold is worth nothing (Which was something I found really cool in the old times. Gold as a currency was really fun. But souls are fine too if they were balanced a little differently)

There is simply infinite amounts of money everywhere, which is silly. Even with the ores regening as they are now, the /money top players have a quarter of what previous players had, with an finite amount of resources to work with. This is entirely how economics works: supply and demand. People actually bought and traded because of limited resources. There needs to be a sink, and towns are not enough with regenerating ores. I can make enough money myself for 4-5 towns in a week by simply grinding bosses at Dark Palace.

I'm fairly certain my point was made. Discussing this couple probably span several more pages, but I tried to keep it semi-concise. Please argue and disagree with me. It leads to new ideas and interesting discussion. Thank you for reading.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
You raise some great points

*future reply coming*

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
First on a money sink, what ideas do you have? This is a must, there needs to be more of a use to gain heaps of money other than just having it there to feel good. At the moment you can buy backpacks with in game money and among other things in /shop, more items should be added to it. Possibly purchasing / unlocking a classes with coin in game?

Herogates definitely need to cost money again, make it free for donors or maybe even just a reduction.

I don't like the idea of making the grind harder, for new players it is what can turn them off having to level. For a new player, 8 hours of leveling to master a class seems crazy, but for veterans its something they are used to and can deal with the grind.

Regis

Soulsand
It would be quite nice to see some of the old drama be brought back into the server between players and towns. That to me is one of the things that needs to come back. I recently started playing again and have not seen one person out in the world at all. Where a few years back it was quite common and exciting at times to come across people. Also, gold was fun to transport.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
I think that as it stands, there are two options: first is to actually have a finite amount of direct ways of money. Without it, inflation occurs, and ruins everything. That, or have professions need regents for crafting. Have switching classes cost more. Minecraft is a sandbox, meant for player to be able to get what ever they want. But it gets hard to hoard immense amounts of stuff once you mine out an area. Which is why I advocate bringing back gold as the main way of generating income. As in it should be the only ore to drop souls.

The other thing is to have mobs drop less souls. I can grind nearly 1-1.5k coins an hours killing mobs. Which also levels my combat classes. I feel like economics shouldn't be so heavily run by mob drops, and that crafters and miners should have a larger impact. I also feel that there should be a way to exchange gold for money again. Whether it's a reputation thing where only certain people can have it at a time or something, or whatever. Nothing is worth any direct money in herocraft. There is no supply/demand currently in herocraft, because everything was made unlimited.

Last note on the grinding: This is where recruiting for towns come in. One of the things I remember from when I first joined herocraft was, "Join a freakin' town or you're screwed." If players didn't want to join a town, then they are already a fan of the solo grind. This is where having a community is important. If you have towns that will invite, nurture and grow new players, and those new players get to experience a game that is not catered to anything but itself, then they will probably enjoy it.

Even if a game is absolute dog shit, if the people are interesting and cool enough, players might hang around. Except, HC is not dog shit, which means that the community makes it even better haha.

You make some solid points. My only thing would be the grind:

The grind shouldn't necessarily be short or easy, it should just be more fast paced. When I joined the server I actually enjoyed grinding, killing the basic mobs pretty quickly while slowly getting overwhelmed and getting a measureable amount of exp within a half hour. I haven't really felt like grinding since my first experience with the new dungeons. The mobs are pretty health spongey and they just take too long without a massive group, and even then the combat isn't interesting since you're only dealing with one or two massive health sponges.

I think a system where you keep dungeons, but have the mobs be more like vanilla mobs in health and defense and instead have different mob classes (warrior, caster, etc) would be more fun, and then just have the spawn rates increase with the number of players in an area. That way it encourages people to level together so that combat is actually interesting, and as the number of players increases you'll need to be aware of the increased number of mobs, etc.

Basically the net time to master a class is still high, but the grind is more interesting. Throw in some daily quests and I think it would be pretty solid.

arcanegrove

Obsidian
You make some solid points. My only thing would be the grind:

The grind shouldn't necessarily be short or easy, it should just be more fast paced. When I joined the server I actually enjoyed grinding, killing the basic mobs pretty quickly while slowly getting overwhelmed and getting a measureable amount of exp within a half hour. I haven't really felt like grinding since my first experience with the new dungeons. The mobs are pretty health spongey and they just take too long without a massive group, and even then the combat isn't interesting since you're only dealing with one or two massive health sponges.

I think a system where you keep dungeons, but have the mobs be more like vanilla mobs in health and defense and instead have different mob classes (warrior, caster, etc) would be more fun, and then just have the spawn rates increase with the number of players in an area. That way it encourages people to level together so that combat is actually interesting, and as the number of players increases you'll need to be aware of the increased number of mobs, etc.

Basically the net time to master a class is still high, but the grind is more interesting. Throw in some daily quests and I think it would be pretty solid.

This was my original thought as well. Mostly. I get what you mean by, "Not short, but fast paces." Mostly, again heh. I like the idea of daily quests coming back, and the mod thing is actually a WIP as far as I know, so that should be a nice change. One thing I want is Mob Arena's. I really enjoyed the economic and player dynamic it presented. It felt a lot like the current castle system, but it was always open, and a great player hotspot. But that was a thing of the past, time to move on heh. The Dungeon system now is amazing. SO much potential in the system, it just needs some balance end design fixing. Small changes here and there, and it'll be a joy to clear every dungeon.

To be honest, this map has lacked a few things that I loved, but also added some new things that should be kept. I agree with Arcane that the economy needs to be fixed, mob soul drops nerfed, and money sinks added. As for mining, soul drops should probably be higher than killing mobs. I am terrible at organizing posts, so this is more of a random smattering of ideas. I'll probably post more as I think of them.

One thing that really ruined this map for me was the short warp cd and the fact that non crafters even have the skill. It used to be that you had to walk to spawn if you wanted to sell shit, and you had to like plan it out. There was atleast some risk involved there - and players would often run into each other on roads, etc. Right now nobody walks anywhere and so you never see other players.k
In addition, not having warp made it so large towns kind of had to be relatively near spawn, so townies could easily walk there and back. There was a ring of large towns surrounding spawn in a 1k block arc.

Personal regions should be harder to keep up, with far greater taxes. It should take up quite a bit of cash per week. Right now you only have to long in like once a month to keep everything protected.

Also, this may sound trivial but this map having animal spawns basically made it so nobody really needed farmers, unless you wanted huge quantities of leather. Turn off animal spawns.

As for respawning ores, they just don't work right now. I think the plugin is cool, but maybe just have respawning ores in a specific area of the map?
But definitely not the entire map. Anything to bring players together.

Dungeons definitely need some work, but I agree with arcane there is so much potential! Just a little bit more and they could be really fun. Having them outdoors in the map was definitely a good move. However, some variation in fights would be nice, or just lots of smaller mobs versus huge health pools.

IMO the most important thing is to take away warp from non-crafters and make recall CD atleast 30 minutes. Then, add back like four graveyards in the corners of the map.

Random ideas/food for thought:

All ores respawn within 500 blocks of spawn, but nowhere else?

Mob scaling? Harder mobs towards the corners of the map?

Overworld bosses that respawn on a daily timescale? Maybe randomly every 6-12 hours?

Tier2 classes "unlocked" or bought with currency in some way? Maybe each tier2 class requires mastery of teir1 class and another related tier1 class?

End game content in the form of aesthetic stuff? This would be certain dungeons with bound pet/title drops for high levels to grind

arcanegrove

Obsidian
To be honest, this map has lacked a few things that I loved, but also added some new things that should be kept. I agree with Arcane that the economy needs to be fixed, mob soul drops nerfed, and money sinks added. As for mining, soul drops should probably be higher than killing mobs. I am terrible at organizing posts, so this is more of a random smattering of ideas. I'll probably post more as I think of them.

One thing that really ruined this map for me was the short warp cd and the fact that non crafters even have the skill. It used to be that you had to walk to spawn if you wanted to sell shit, and you had to like plan it out. There was atleast some risk involved there - and players would often run into each other on roads, etc. Right now nobody walks anywhere and so you never see other players.k
In addition, not having warp made it so large towns kind of had to be relatively near spawn, so townies could easily walk there and back. There was a ring of large towns surrounding spawn in a 1k block arc.

Personal regions should be harder to keep up, with far greater taxes. It should take up quite a bit of cash per week. Right now you only have to long in like once a month to keep everything protected.

Also, this may sound trivial but this map having animal spawns basically made it so nobody really needed farmers, unless you wanted huge quantities of leather. Turn off animal spawns.

As for respawning ores, they just don't work right now. I think the plugin is cool, but maybe just have respawning ores in a specific area of the map?
But definitely not the entire map. Anything to bring players together.

Dungeons definitely need some work, but I agree with arcane there is so much potential! Just a little bit more and they could be really fun. Having them outdoors in the map was definitely a good move. However, some variation in fights would be nice, or just lots of smaller mobs versus huge health pools.

IMO the most important thing is to take away warp from non-crafters and make recall CD atleast 30 minutes. Then, add back like four graveyards in the corners of the map.

Random ideas/food for thought:

All ores respawn within 500 blocks of spawn, but nowhere else?

Mob scaling? Harder mobs towards the corners of the map?

Overworld bosses that respawn on a daily timescale? Maybe randomly every 6-12 hours?

Tier2 classes "unlocked" or bought with currency in some way? Maybe each tier2 class requires mastery of teir1 class and another related tier1 class?

End game content in the form of aesthetic stuff? This would be certain dungeons with bound pet/title drops for high levels to grind

Yep yep yep.

Only thing that needs commenting on here is the End Game stuff. There may or may not be some really cool stuff planned (I'm not sure if stuff's been announced yet, so I don't want to ruin anything)

I like all the idea's you brought up, but I want to add on the ore respawns. There are two things I could see for this:

1.) Remove it completely. Or...
2.) Make it a part of the Castle system. Like owning a castle gives a town access to a mining place of something, where the ores respawns.

Speaking of Castles, It would be fun to have solo players be able to take castles too. Just fun though, not sure how that would be implemented or even if it would be a good idea heh.

Personally, I'm not too much a fan of the T2 system. I'm not entirely sure why, but it just feels fake. Forced maybe. It's not entirely needed, except to increase the amount of time it takes to master a class. T1 classes are decent, but I hate the fact that to get the most out of your class, you need to master T2. Not because it takes longer, but because of the way it's done. It makes it needlessly complicated, it is very forced, and most importantly: not needed.

Instead of a entirely new class you need to master, give every class something that make it interesting to get to full power. This isn't a well thought out idea, but it just happened to hop onto my train of thought, so here 'ye are.

What if, there were milestones for classes. When a milestone is reached, a quest or some sort of challenge is unlocked. These can be at the midway and end game points. Depending on what class you are, milestones could be different. Even randomized for every player as to not give them free content, so they have to work for it.

For healers, it could be healing for a certain amount, or killing a certain amount of undead. For warriors, it could be... (Mind blanked). For rogues, a certain amount of player kills. Etc. Etc...

Make it random. Make it unique for every player or something. Make the milestones unlock quests that give class specific weapons or attribute resets (So you can't just pay to do so) .

But yeah, not to much a fan of the T2 system. Just make the initial class for engage and longer to get to full power.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
I'd like to see this happen for the revamp;

When the selected conquest point opens to be captured, ores spawn at the castle that can be mined. e.g.

Diamond castle opens = diamond ore spawns which can be mined.

Ruby castle opens = redstone ore spawns which can be mined etc

arcanegrove

Obsidian

When the selected conquest point opens to be captured, ores spawn at the castle that can be mined. e.g.

That actually sounds pretty cool. No other thoughts heh.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

I think we can do that with mc cmds and spawn or regenerate the area / schematic at the win

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
This thread reminds me of one I started some time ago. Link coming in future reply.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
This thread was not started by me but I chimed in with a suggestion about economic interdependence very similar to this one. I also have a working model, albeit on a much older version of heroes(circa 2014)
https://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/my-view-on-herocraft.51209/#post-403178
This thread was not about balance but about the age old "why are people so mean to me on HC" topic. The interesting thing is that an economy of interdependence works in either case.