• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Having a pve server and a pvp server(with different rules?)

Do you like this idea?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • I would change a few things (post in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lujiu

TNT
After playing for a few weeks on the server I think that having separate (pve and pvp) servers would help create a better environment.

The only thing I have disappointed in / would change about the server is the way the towny plugin works. Towny is so limited on raiding and attacking other towns on what you can do and what you can not do. When attacking someone you have next to no chance on getting any loot if they have their chests covered yet alone if you can get inside their base. Even if you kill one of the members getting their cenotaph is most likely not going to happen since it is in their town.

Yes towny has its benefits like assuring your town is protected, and allowing the building of large nice looking structures, but when I go to a raiding server I expect to be able to blow into peoples bases and not be removed from the server.

My suggestion is to have a server dedicated to having a pve environment (war? or no war?) with towny and all current rules applied to the server now. The Pve server could have a higher rate of dungeons and a higher rate of natural mob spawn.

For a pvp server I recommend throwing out towny (sorry but its no good for a raiding server) and replacing it with factions.
-Factions work by using faction power (10 for ever member) and your faction power relates to how much land you can claim. If you have 1 member you have 10 land credits (from 10 power) and you can then go claim land with a cost of $. However, if you die you lose faction power (one death would put your own credit score at 7/10 power. The minimal power a player can have is -10/10 which will gravely effect your faction.)

When a factions power at a time drops below the amount of land they have claimed their faction land becomes open to other factions claiming it as their own.
For example If you are a town of 3 members (30 faction power max) and you have a total of 20 land claims. If one of your members dies a multitude of times to where that one players power is -10 /10 their faction's power will be 10/30 which is below their 20/30 faction claimed land. Then their land is subject for the taking!

Rules I would change for a PvP environment
-Allow griefing (tnt cannons, breaking into a base, ext.) This could be limited to only griefing for a raid (for example, killing and then claiming over the town solely to destroy their house and break all their items would be considered harassment, but breaking blocks to get inside / blowing holes into the wall from the outside is allowed. (NOTE, Factions land can only be blown up if a player of that faction is online. If that member logs off they have 10 minutes until the town is again re-protected from tnt.

-Remove building limitations (as in the restrictions to structures. This excludes magic floating bases in the sky. Other then that bases could be made in whatever way they choose.

-Remove lwcs, (Everything is fair-game, being in a faction and stealing items from other members will still be against the rules)

-Remove Cenotaphs (Everything is fair-game, Everything including armour will drop.

Tell me what you think about having separate pve and pvp servers!

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
This server has done some of those things in the past. There was a separate map for pve and pvp, though you could travel between them. The upside was that there was a lot of space for both pve and pvp since they weren't sharing room but on the other hand it split up the server. You'd only be able to see the chat of others who were in pve or were in pvp.... It really divided up the server. And imo this harmed the pvp scene as so many stuck to the pve map and never left it, so war is very much needed if there is a pve zone.

They have had zones that were fully griefable like the nether (remember back on haven where there was that other area where pretty much people only went to to cut wood as breaking the base of a tree would make the whole thing fall apart... forget what it was called)

The problem is that if you allow people to be able to carry their items over from one area to another there is no incentive to build anything more then an outpost someplace where it can be griefed.

If you are talking about having the two servers be completely separate as in items and/or levels don't carry over between them.... Well I can't comment on how that would work out, with the amount of people playing right now it seems like it would be a bad idea. Personally I like the map the way it is but I'd also be happy if a faction like map was added alongside this one, sorta like how they plan to add adventure alongside survival.

Last edited:

Lujiu

TNT
If you are talking about having the two servers be completely separate as in items and/or levels don't carry over between them.... Well I can't comment on how that would work out, with the amount of people playing right now it seems like it would be a bad idea. Personally I like the map the way it is but I'd also be happy if a faction like map was added alongside this one, sorta like how they plan to add adventure alongside survival.

I think if they give it a shot they will see a great reaction from the community.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I think if they give it a shot they will see a great reaction from the community.
They won't. Last map was seperated into 3 (Technically 5) servers. PvE, PvP, and Free For All (Griefing, murder, etc). There were also Event & Test but.

Anyway, it was bad, there almost no players on the server most times, the peak was meh, and PvP almost died as a whole (Something I am sad to have seen, as PvP can be a ton of fun. When it's not ganking noobs or unfair 10v1's).
As Nashah said, it would just split the server even more. PvE with war is a good way of having the map (Personally I liked all PvP because then people would fight other towns and stuff, and the noobs were ok, same with builders or the less than MLG Pro PvPers).

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
I think that is wishful thinking.

If this were to be done, two things would happen, eventually

A: PvP would die off, very slowly, very painfully, as most of the die hard pvpers would eventually leave.

B: The PvE server would get the most play (because most of the in-game community right now is newbies). People wouldn't leave it. We'd be in the same boat that the war update intended to change.

I don't know how long you've been on, but around the time I joined up, Valorium had two very different sections, and when war took place, it only affected the center of the map. Of you didn't notice, most of the land in the northern continent has been destroyed, and the underground is about equal to swiss cheese. This is because players, like you, and like me (about 2 months ago) stayed in the northern continent for sweet safety and comfort. War helps allow the pvpers their time to have a little fun, hunting after players, controlling the bridges. Etc. I personally, as a Pve sorta player, think there should either be longer wars, or shorter peace.
But if you're dead set on a Pve server, just wait for adventure to come out, then all your dreams will come true

Lujiu

TNT
I think that is wishful thinking.

If this were to be done, two things would happen, eventually

A: PvP would die off, very slowly, very painfully, as most of the die hard pvpers would eventually leave.

B: The PvE server would get the most play (because most of the in-game community right now is newbies). People wouldn't leave it. We'd be in the same boat that the war update intended to change.

I don't know how long you've been on, but around the time I joined up, Valorium had two very different sections, and when war took place, it only affected the center of the map. Of you didn't notice, most of the land in the northern continent has been destroyed, and the underground is about equal to swiss cheese. This is because players, like you, and like me (about 2 months ago) stayed in the northern continent for sweet safety and comfort. War helps allow the pvpers their time to have a little fun, hunting after players, controlling the bridges. Etc. I personally, as a Pve sorta player, think there should either be longer wars, or shorter peace.
But if you're dead set on a Pve server, just wait for adventure to come out, then all your dreams will come true

A: PvP would die off, very slowly, very painfully, on any server you go to. The pvp they have now is crap anyway. Most of the time is some kind of 3 v 1 .

B: Im not dead set on anything, and if I was it would be for a pvp server not pve. I just think they should have a far more free server then what they have. (fyi never have I lived in pve nor will I.)

(Iv only been online for about 3 weeks xD, but iv played on many different hero servers)

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
A: PvP would die off, very slowly, very painfully, on any server you go to. The pvp they have now is crap anyway. Most of the time is some kind of 3 v 1 .

B: Im not dead set on anything, and if I was it would be for a pvp server not pve. I just think they should have a far more free server then what they have. (fyi never have I lived in pve nor will I.)

(Iv only been online for about 3 weeks xD, but iv played on many different hero servers)
PvP dying off, is no excuse to outright kill it. Believe it or not, pvp on this server has improved quite a bit, such as with outposts.

Valorium will eventually become a full pvp map when adventure is released.

And your idea of grief allowance, no lwc's, is completely crazy. No one would want to build on that, no one. As in, your idea of a free server would never see a large player base, and eventually with the pvp gone, Pve players might leave soon too. Most Pve players use Pve to train for pvp. Two servers would defeat that because they can't train up on a different server.

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
For there to be healthy pvp there needs to be all kinds of players. There need to be those who mostly only do pve and supply items and be targets for pk'ers who like easy kills.

It might not make much sense but think of it like this, pretty much nobody enjoys being wrecked over and over. There are those who are quite frankly bad at pvp yet they can still have fun getting easy kills on others, without pve players they then become the lowest tier on the food chain. Without them having anyone they can really kill they end up leaving. Not saying all people are like this but many are. They only care about killing another and are adverse to doing anything that 's challenging. While most pve'rs might get camped they will most likely continue farming/mining/whatever once they get the chance, their fun hasn't been completely ruined.

And as iAlchemist said, pvp has actually gotten better lately. The last map did have a pve world and a pvp one, and from what I've heard (was only around near the start of the map) was that the pvp scene took its largest dip during that map compared to the others before it.

I'm quite a wind bag but my point is this. While I wouldn't say the herocraft system is perfect it's still fairly unique, offering fun for people of multiple play styles and giving them the ability to play together. Heck herocraft does a better job at making most of their professions feel unique and valuable compared to many mmo's! If there is a solution to be found it should be done while making the game enjoyable for as broad of an audience as possible.

LightTheAbsol

Legacy Supporter 3
This is a terrible idea. Also factions is terrible, spend time to actually learn herocraft's towny, it's custom. I don't know if you know the roadmap, but when adventure is released, Pve will be removed from the current map and it will all be Pvp.