• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Griefing As It Is Today.

Should griefing rules take a new stance on pkers who show no effort in doing so?

• Total voters

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
First off I'd like to thank the herocraft community for maintaining a respectable stance against griefers, and running a damn good server and doing a damn good job at it.

Secondly, I'd like to discuss some scenarios which make the current griefing laws a little less than noteworthy.

Shortyy_od come's to Arcadia. He kills me, loots my tombstone, takes chests/signs/beds I had. Weapons. Etc.

Other raiders, friends of his, and them, continously do this. As well as Spawn Camping in my bedroom and Drevarius's bedroom -- which went unpunished.

We all know how you can kill, loot, then recall out so you face no imminent threat whatsoever when you jump someone. We know how laggy pvp can be and how it's pretty much nonsense. Usually the person giving chase has the advantage due to mechanics which I care not to explain. Basically when you stop, they just automatically hit you, even if you dodged what you saw on your screen.

Point is - they take our items, and place them in the world.

What does this do? How does this effect griefing as it is? Well let's say they stole items I had on me. Then placed them in a tunnel they dug straight down and out near our town. Those items can no longer be touched, they're now theirs. Permanently as long as the game world exists, until THEY remove them. OR report someone for griefing their bed in which case they get it back. (I was just spawncamped writing this while afk in my house :> isn't herocraft fun?)

Basically. My point is, if someone places a thousand beds all over the game world, and they're stolen YOU CAN BE BANNED FOR IT.

That's a tad ridiculous, I think the griefing rules should allow lee-way for destroying 'raiders' camps, obvious structures that are small, took no time to build, or are just hallowed caves with chests/beds/signs in them. They're pointless objects that take 1 minute of RL time to build. Only actual houses/lodges/structures should even be taken into consideration when pulling the griefing rule IMHO.

As it is, the PVPers have the advantage, they want to keep something they stole, they just place it in the game world, anywhere, and it's permantently theirs even though it was us crafters/hard working citizens who choose a different lifestyle to make said materials.

Now I know if we take away that ability - that means crafters/miners would have the advantage of being able to get their materials back...by whatever means you'd grant us as a boon to do so, which is why I'm going to make it clear that I'm not. I'm simply stating the fact that if raiders want to take a serious stance on raiding, they should take the time to build structures as we do nearby and assault us from a fortress. Small camps should not be protected by standard griefing rules. No matter how many beds you can shove in a small cave with signs and small chests. They should not be considered griefing unless you actually built a structure beneath or above ground. Or placed walls, doors, etc.

I was rolled back and punished because I broke 12-16 beds about 25-30 blocks away from Arcadia's Barracks and took the chests and signs back they stole from me. Every sign there had names of the raiders that were constantly spawn camping and recalling to their cove. With our tombstone resources and such. It should only be fair that we are allowed to root out small 'encampments' like these without retaliation from the same people who ALREADY ''harrass'' us constantly by pvping us when we're in the middle of trying to develop the new map, throw fireballs at us while we're on ledges, push us off, and otherwise PK us in our own rooms without changing our spawn.

You know why they don't? because it's good exp to place a camp 45 seconds walk away, kill me 5 times, recall with your 2 paladin friends, and do it every 5 minutes. They know we can't defend ourselves and these guys are trolling as hard as they can within the rules. Which is why I think they need to be heated up and bent a little to be reforged.

If you agree, reply here with thoughts and opinions. Oh... And I'll attach some cool pics of SC'ing at it's best after I edit this post. ;)

Also--I do realize this allows "PK Griefers" more leeway because they'd be able to steal your beds, but even if they took our beds and chests. They're replaceable and it'd give me more of a reason to complain when they don't break our beds and spawn camp.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Oh and unless a mod or admin replies vindication those actions above, they got by with it, and they've been getting by with it far far more than once or twice. I've seen/heard it/saw the deaths in alertsystem.

EDIT: guess they did get by with it.

EDIT2: Kainzo I wasn't asking to 'allow griefing' it's not that linear.

I'm talking about a dynamic change to the rules, and the griefing rules and others are already dynamic as it is.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
They broke my painting, did they get a rollback? I logged in and my house was missing cobble where hidden chests were, was it rolled back? If everyone submitted PE's for this, you guys would be overflooded.

I just don't care anymore... about it... anymore. So I'm probably not even going to submit PE's when people grief my shit, and I know this is an open invitation on public forums but honestly guys, bet's are - if you grief my house right now, you probably won't be banned.

I won't do it again (I didn't think breaking and not replacing beds was bannable at the time)
But, since I've been targeted by people. Admins, Greifers, Spawncampers, PKers -- and then when I vindicate myself against the Spawn Campers and PKers - the griefers report me and get answered. I call that singling-out. And that's how my last cpl weeks has been on Herocraft since I've returned.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
There was stone replaced with dirt/cobble in arcadia's barracks. I can go on. there's tons. As far as I know no one else was punished.

EDIT:

I'd also like to add the fact that my rollback undid changes I was working on in town that were not a part of me breaking the raiders 12ish beds, a few chests they stole from me, and signs they also stole for the most part from me. They caused death by suffocation to me furthering my griefing experience on HeroCraft, and losing more items. I basically have nothing left except my plot in KRS and apartment in Arcadia which is probably griefed again and not fixed.

Both which were griefed/have been griefed/etc. and gone un-banned against the same people spawncamping me.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself.

MatTripp

Legacy Supporter 8
Personally i agree with you. Spawn killers go pretty much untouched in the server right now but we get into trouble when we break a bed and dont place it back? That is just lame and pointless. With the rules how they are with the beds at least even if we do break them they still get there camp and are able to just sleep in them again instead of making a new bed. And lets be honest is a bed really that much? It's 3 wool and 3 planks, thats just pathetic to ban someone over and call it griefing. Especially when there are people camping towns/Beds/and even Zeal to get those kills inside the rules.

I know this is a hardcore server but at the same time it is starting to turn more twords hardcore PvP leaving us builders hung out and dry.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
The whole reason I chose crafter was because I did not want to be involved with open PKing, spawn camping, and griefing to get to people and possibly being reported.

But it seems the other way around, I'm a crafter, and I'm constantly defending myself (or trying to against 6 immune paladins taking cooldown turns at me and then recalling) and they grief and it goes unpunished.

Hell I saw Supaskwirrel grief himself into our barracks and kill us, because he couldn't break the gate holding him out. Nothin' I can do 'bout it.

'Cept maybe FRAPS everything and post videos since ss's don't work.

But they obviously don't need screenshots if I got rolled back for simply taking back materials they stole and placed.

Not building materials, just chests/signs/beds. in a small cave. with no structure-like organization. Just signs at each bed. Signs they stole from me and I stole back. but was banned/rolled back. Because...

they placed it ingame after stealing it from me.

oh snap.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
I feel like Xexo's story really hit at the heart of an issue, people can grief and make amends by repairing it as well as stealing all they want, but yet when someone is trying to defend themselves and take action against these people the server punishes that. If you are a griefer, thief, or chronic PvPer, the server should take a harder stance against you and therefore allow the 'good' people to fight back in a way that doesn't involve using the same tactics you used against them, but making it so that even the evil people know there are boundaries AND repercussions that are not server administered. Crafters suck when you guys make it so that they are unable to defend themselves while also boosting PvP and even allowing griefing to take place as long as it is fixed. I'm sad. I know it is supposed to be hardcore, but shouldn't logically walls and a gate be enough to keep our raiders? Yes, laying siege to a town now that herogates are gone is a VIABLE option. Yet, it seems that while at the same time features are pulled from the game that allowed some level of safety, the rules that kept the barbarian hordes out of cities have been laxed to the point where it only exists if you are stupid about it or don't know the rules at all. Anyone can break through a 15 thick wall now as long as they bring some smoothstone. That's silly and makes forming a town have far less returns as the people who don't want to cause carnage want to get something that the server can show off done.

I've never seen anyone sit and watch in awe at the PvP battles, but I sure have seen people [Including myself] slobber all over themselves as they look at the buildings that have been created on this server. Why limit that by having crude gameplay?

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
I'd like to add to alex's point of view, in so much that...

Evil is Running Amok in our Bewildered World of Heroes.

and more below..

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Also, strategically speaking, if these raiders don't want their camps broken, they can fucking defend it. I'm just saying, they want to mindlessly PK and Spawn Camp without retaliation by admins, then I say change this rule to allow us to defend ourselves, and make PVP more intriguing by the simple fact that these huge camps of 10+ people camping towns can fucking leave 2 guys behind to defend their 'camp'. Make 'em use some strategy if they want to keep our riches.

Shenorai

Banned
Shit like this is the reason why I've taken a liking to simply browsing for new single-player mods to try out.

If anything, the current Herocraft laws seems aimed at rewarding the trolls and punishing those who actually build something even remotely impressive, yet get raped out the ass for the stuff they worked for.

"Sorry, you can't take your shit back from raiders because we'll roll you back for breaking blocks that were stolen from you."

...excuse me? Why is this allowed?

If anything, this whole thing is getting out of hand. Or rather, has been out of hand but it's too much of a hassle to actually do something about it.

R3xz

Glowstone
It is quite shitty.

Spawn campers are gone unpunished in this server and retaliation against the spawn campers are deemed as illegal? That's just game breaking. :S

Get a grip
-Kainzo

RogueMind

Legacy Supporter 3
I don't see this as good versus evil(Personally I think PvP is natural and good for us) but I definitely agree with every thing you want to do. Maybe not for the same reasons but yeah this is an awesome idea.

Its late here, so instead of typing a wall of text here are my points:
-Griefing Shouldn't hurt peoples HARD WORK and should be within reason. There is no hard work in a bed next to a chest, and it is within reason to destroy said hide-away
-Without Township, people have no other form of defense.

Anyway this gets my vote of approval, whatever that means.

Afro7897

Legacy Supporter 5
I would agree whole heartedly with the arguments place but some things are being overlooked-measures we can take to further deter those who constantly raid and lay siege to towns. Just off of pure speculation and from what I hear it seems to me like a good portion of players chose to become crafters and start towns with a majority of crafters in them. I am a warrior and I'm working as fast as I can to become a master warrior(laziness and the monotony of mining have earned me a huge break) to help out the people of my town in fighting off raiders. This is probably the biggest problem I have with your argument. Why didn't anybody get together before starting their towns and figure out how many of each class they could afford to have? I know thats a lot easier to say in hind sight but I don't think changes by staff are necessary just yet to rectify the situation. To me thats just as good as giving up and I'll be damned if I let the culprits in this situation to have a reason to come bitch about changes later as I wouldn't put it beneath them.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I would agree whole heartedly with the arguments place but some things are being overlooked-measures we can take to further deter those who constantly raid and lay siege to towns. Just off of pure speculation and from what I hear it seems to me like a good portion of players chose to become crafters and start towns with a majority of crafters in them. I am a warrior and I'm working as fast as I can to become a master warrior(laziness and the monotony of mining have earned me a huge break) to help out the people of my town in fighting off raiders. This is probably the biggest problem I have with your argument. Why didn't anybody get together before starting their towns and figure out how many of each class they could afford to have? I know thats a lot easier to say in hind sight but I don't think changes by staff are necessary just yet to rectify the situation. To me thats just as good as giving up and I'll be damned if I let the culprits in this situation to have a reason to come bitch about changes later as I wouldn't put it beneath them.

This is all very valid. You SHOULDN'T be able to start up a town of only crafters. I still think changes need to be made about how to deal with raiders and their camps. However It's painfully true that armies need to be fought with armies.

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
My point is, Afro, Arcadia has (rather, the S.S.S. has) around 40+ active people a few if not several are on ALL the time and we're constantly getting owned. As well as other cities, by packs and packs of raiders who set up camp 30 seconds walk away, and we can't do shit (this is an exxageration, but 'not much better sums this up) against them because 'rings' aren't set up yet. Even then if they just camp outside in hordes and storm the gate as soon as someone wants out. It's the same situation. We can't have our guys go out in a good group (like as we did when we busted their little camp up) without being retaliated against by moderators/admins. So what man, make them fucking PVPers' walk back from Zeal and setup a new camp. AT LEAST--AT THE VERY LEAST-- they'd be showing some effort in raiding as a team. This would help organize PVP struggles if these guys were even remotely serious and not just trolling on everyone because the system is broken as is. As I'm sure many agree in here. Breaking up OBVIOUS raider camps with no real structures, etc. etc. is perfectly okay, In my and apparently several others opinions. At the least, this point in the game of Heroes.

Hopefully my arguments speak on behalf of the herocraft community.