• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [General] - "Legal dumping", making stolen items soul bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit_Guardian

Soulsand
Nobody liked your last one, nobody likes this one.
By nobody you mean the only people who commented; it is the same thing with just a few changes based on the comments in the last post.
-Trolls/griefers don't like things that keep them from greifing/trolling, so I am starting to doubt this will be accepted.
-When applied you would barely notice the system, it is only complex in concept.
-I am starting to think that "Herocraft" should be named "Villaincraft", suits it better :p (This is a joke)
-There are hundreds of people who play HC, but I am glad you have the audacity to speak for all of them without their consent.

Last edited:

Tjundis

ICE ICE ICE!
I think the effort implementing this wouldn't be worth what would come of it. As you said, it wouldn't stop it completely, but just make it less appealing; the rules on dumping basically serve that purpose anyway.

If people want to do it they will, regardless of whether or not they have to move 100 blocks. Besides, whether or not they dump your chests is a good way to distinguish between a raider that likes pvp and a complete asshole.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
+This system would not add any significant lag; think of all the spells/skills being used every second and then add two or three to that.
I know nothing about coding and I can still tell you that you are absolutely wrong. Every single item, every stack, every chest would have to be logged, and then checked every time someone tries to withdraw an item. It would cause substantial lag.

I have been the victim of this twice, and still think it is a bad idea. People are still going to completely wipe chests, whether something like this is in or not. It will not accomplish anything.

Spirit_Guardian

Soulsand
I know nothing about coding and I can still tell you that you are absolutely wrong. Every single item, every stack, every chest would have to be logged, and then checked every time someone tries to withdraw an item. It would cause substantial lag.

I have been the victim of this twice, and still think it is a bad idea. People are still going to completely wipe chests, whether something like this is in or not. It will not accomplish anything.

The system would not track every single item; just the stack size, type, and if the chest it was in belongs to the person who is taking it (for a server this is nothing, I AM a programmer (I also do web design)).

To be more specific (but still in laymen terms), this is how it would work in the program:
1| User opens chest

-1a| System checks chest owner/perms from a log and then checks owners friend list, output to local variable.

(because this is not World of Warcraft it would only take a fraction of a second for a server to go through two small files with only a few thousand small entries total (a single "ok" server has at least 16 processor cores at 2.45 Ghz each (thousands of operations a second FYI)).

-1aa| If the user is not the owner or a friend prep item list and out put to a log what is in the chest.

-1b| User is owner or permitted, exit.

2|User takes item from chest, if the local variable is TRUE do the following, else exit
-2a check the chest and output what is in it to a secondary log and do math from the two logs to get the change. (There is a better way to do this, but meh)
-2b send custom status effect to local machine and track the time out, update distance every three seconds.

That is a very basic and rough example and all of that would take 0.0001th of a second for a server (if that, because the servers herocraft is on are actually really powerful).

Last edited:

Spirit_Guardian

Soulsand
I wanted to remove the post / turn it into a poll but I did not know how; thanks for saying I have bad spelling when I do not.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I wanted to remove the post / turn it into a poll but I did not know how; thanks for saying I have bad spelling when I do not.
There is no way for you to do this. Now stop spamming the thread.

Royfaren

Legacy Supporter 6
No matter what you say, it's going to cause lag. There has to be 1000s if not 10000s of chests on the map already. If the server has to log every single one of these, it takes a little time to find the exact one you're touching. Now add 3-4 people using chests at once. People use chests constantly. Even running the process with nobody touching chests is going to take some resources.
It's going to have a lot of bugs, it's going to take forever to debug and honestly is not worth the time, effort or money to implement. It will also create a major annoyance for raiders.

And now, it's illegal to dump for grief purposes. Petition it if you're affected. At least it's illegal now. It wasn't before.
And with your legal dumping, how much is a double chest of cobblestone worth? 57*.2-.5s = less that 30 souls. You buy that back no problem. How many people are going to take the time and effort to cause grief to somebody, unless they really hate them? A very small portion of the server, so small, it barely affects the community. So, what's the point of the plugin?

Blackpatcher

Stone
There is no need for any type of system like this to be implemented. Towns allow you to protect chests you can put blocks on top of chests to keep raiders from stealing from then. If you don't belong to a town for whatever reason LWC protection and resident protection fields are available.

This thread pretty much sums up to "someone stole my stuff and now I'm pissed".

SwannkyTaco

Legacy Supporter 8
People talking about lag, to which I agree, however:
To be blunt, it's a hardcore server. Sounds to me like someone is whining about having their stuff dumped.

If you don't like it, join a town/make a res and you won't have this problem.

Heruohtar

Legacy Supporter 7
Dumping items is already ILLEGAL. If you have screenshots and make a PE, actions will be taken. This seems WAY too much work for a system that will:
  • Cause more lag (Main reason why mass dropping is illegal)
  • Cause inconvenience ( I share chests with townmates...imagine the hassle)
  • Be buggy and will cause more problems than it fixes.
If you don't want you stuff to be dropped, join a town/make a LWC.
I'm going to make this quick.

1) Going to be impossible to manage town items as a mayor, SIC, etc.
2) People share chests
3) Create server lag keeping logs of items placed in chests
4) People could remove and replace items in the chest making the items theirs

The list goes on....

Look it's a great idea however it's just not viable and never going to happen, looting is apart of Herocraft and always will be. In addition there are rules against mass dumping of lured items, you are only supposed to take what you can carry/want.

We could just lower the price of chest locks or add a LWC option that prevents the chest from being broken but still lootable. Like a sturdy chest. can we use chest traps? trapping a chest to make it injure or kill a looter would help :p

Heruohtar

Legacy Supporter 7

They already log all actions on the server. so having a more automated way to catch chest dumpers should be in theory possible. Like you said your self you know nothing about coding you can do anything with the proper code. but as has been said the time required to create something on this level would not be well spent. However I am sure there is a simpler option we just need to actually address the issue instead of brushing it off on petitioning every occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.