• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Factions + Heroes for Haven

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
I'm not saying to use this plugin but the features of it are neat and encourage PvP on claimed land:
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/grief-prevention/
In short, you can choose to 'siege' a player which can allow a number of things such as being able to break certain blocks on their land and in this time they are unable to open chests. Basically it allows some disables for the town being attacked and enables some things for those attacking. I think maybe this system could somewhat inspire what we already have and make it better?

P.S. Please no factions, please. Please.

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm not saying to use this plugin but the features of it are neat and encourage PvP on claimed land:
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/grief-prevention/
In short, you can choose to 'siege' a player which can allow a number of things such as being able to break certain blocks on their land and in this time they are unable to open chests. Basically it allows some disables for the town being attacked and enables some things for those attacking. I think maybe this system could somewhat inspire what we already have and make it better?

P.S. Please no factions, please. Please.

Good idea, but wouldnt work with our towns the way they're built. Town members would just stay inside until the attacker gets bored. Of course people will go outside and defend it too, but even so, it wouldnt work well.

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
Good idea, but wouldnt work with our towns the way they're built. Town members would just stay inside until the attacker gets bored. Of course people will go outside and defend it too, but even so, it wouldnt work well.
What if during the 'siege' TnT worked but at the end of the siege the tnt damage was undone? I'm 90% sure that's possible to code and it would work well.

koen31

TNT
He's talking about a concept, he didn't say anything about any other plugins. I think its a great idea.

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8
What if during the 'siege' TnT worked but at the end of the siege the tnt damage was undone? I'm 90% sure that's possible to code and it would work well.

Attackers would still have to make a TNT cannon in order for that to work for many towns due to their walls being well within regions. Not to mention that once inside, they'd have to get through multiple airlocks etc just to find defenders...

Like lightning said though, it is a possibility

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3
Attackers would still have to make a TNT cannon in order for that to work for many towns due to their walls being well within regions. Not to mention that once inside, they'd have to get through multiple airlocks etc just to find defenders...

Like lightning said though, it is a possibility
But that creates something to do..? People WANT to raid and attack people, they will get enough TnT and they will do it, which thus creates PvP fun!

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
It wouldnt be on Shrine. Shrine would maintain the Townships plugin
Haven would become the PVP oriented place that it has been for months.

Why did I bring this into the forums instead of just throwing it in and run with it?

Because I want to hear what you have to say. So say it and move on.

We "COULD" create a new server for factions + heroes and have it outside of the Herocraft eras - as a test run to see how it goes. We have a hub we can hook in any server for this reason and I don't see a downside to letting people try factions out under the Herocraft logo.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9

Why did I bring this into the forums instead of just throwing it in and run with it?

We "COULD" create a new server for factions + heroes and have it outside of the Herocraft eras - as a test run to see how it goes. We have a hub we can hook in any server for this reason and I don't see a downside to letting people try factions out under the Herocraft logo.

Nothing wrong with pilot servers or extensions off of the core game. Look what happened with Starcraft/Warcraft3's modders creating the entire DOTA scene that has inspired an entire new genre of games (LoL, Smite, etc.) However, if this happens, then Haven's PVP will still need much love, and there are a flurry of both admin-based promises and member-based suggestions in numerous threads to that point. The tough things to balance would be to determine how time & resources are allocated between Haven, Shrine, & possibly a third PVP-heavy server (but isn't this the crux of all difficult business decisions) in order to keep each of the maps viable. I fear for Haven, as if a factions-based server takes flight, Haven will be without purpose and content for the energy will be dumped into the new server. My recommendation would be to re-vitalized Haven first and foremost through the methods of PVP empowerment that have been already discussed for months, and save any factions-based pilot server for another year, and only after the base of HC's PVP population is content within the framework established.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I agree that the current Town plug-in discourages pvp, and needs to be tweaked. An idea I got from another server I play was to make towns be able to be "captured" by another town. How this could work would be that one town declares war on another town. Then a specified war-time or agreed upon time with about a 2 hour window would be "war" time. Within each town there would be points that need to be captured(ie obsidian blocks with specified hp or KoH type flags that require staying within a certain radius etc.). If those points were taken out by the opposing town then the winning town would "own" the losing town. Now the perks of owning could range from bragging rights to a mandatory soul tax. There are plug-ins(not sure of names) that can make the structures inside the town regen back to pre-war status to prevent griefing. Also chests can be made to be inaccessible or disappear if touched etc., so a town cannot lose their goods. Now not only do I think this would bring more town v town pvp, but also should make alliances mean something as multiple towns could declare war on a single town.

I love the idea of capturable towns, if there are existing plugins for this that would be great. That said, I imagine it would not be popular with a large portion of playerbase lol. But if people wouldnt lose their chest items and there were limited capture / recapture opportunities per 24 hours or whatever, i think this would be incredibly fun and kick up lots of rivalries / alliances and what not.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Nothing wrong with pilot servers or extensions off of the core game. Look what happened with Starcraft/Warcraft3's modders creating the entire DOTA scene that has inspired an entire new genre of games (LoL, Smite, etc.) However, if this happens, then Haven's PVP will still need much love, and there are a flurry of both admin-based promises and member-based suggestions in numerous threads to that point. The tough things to balance would be to determine how time & resources are allocated between Haven, Shrine, & possibly a third PVP-heavy server (but isn't this the crux of all difficult business decisions) in order to keep each of the maps viable. I fear for Haven, as if a factions-based server takes flight, Haven will be without purpose and content for the energy will be dumped into the new server. My recommendation would be to re-vitalized Haven first and foremost through the methods of PVP empowerment that have been already discussed for months, and save any factions-based pilot server for another year, and only after the base of HC's PVP population is content within the framework established.
Yep.

Everything takes time and I'm mindful of the suggestions and promises :)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I love the idea of capturable towns, if there are existing plugins for this that would be great. That said, I imagine it would not be popular with a large portion of playerbase lol. But if people wouldnt lose their chest items and there were limited capture / recapture opportunities per 24 hours or whatever, i think this would be incredibly fun and kick up lots of rivalries / alliances and what not.
what I was thinking "major" outposts in every segment of the map, maybe 8-10 altogether. When you or your town/guild captures it, everyone would get a passive gain of 5 souls per 10 mins or something.

Obviously the reward amounts can be worked on, but controlling points like this would be awesome.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
what I was thinking "major" outposts in every segment of the map, maybe 8-10 altogether. When you or your town/guild captures it, everyone would get a passive gain of 5 souls per 10 mins or something.

Obviously the reward amounts can be worked on, but controlling points like this would be awesome.
I like the concept. Maybe have different rewards to choose from? So depending on what the town needs atm the mayor could pick the reward accordingly?

OliverDollar

Legacy Supporter 3

I think this is a good idea, although a lot of people don't seem to be for the idea I reckon most players would at least try it out and who knows maybe a better idea will come from it.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6

Sounds fun. I cant see anyone really complaining about neutral, capturable locations so its probably the best idea to start with.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
I like the concept. Maybe have different rewards to choose from? So depending on what the town needs atm the mayor could pick the reward accordingly?

The outposts should offer different rewards - then the towns can go for the outpost they need most... It will also cause more pvp if not all are equal... Make a limit though on how many a town can 'own' at a time... Like 1.. that way allies can help each other get them and the larger towns won't dominate all the outposts.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
The outposts should offer different rewards - then the towns can go for the outpost they need most... It will also cause more pvp if not all are equal... Make a limit though on how many a town can 'own' at a time... Like 1.. that way allies can help each other get them and the larger towns won't dominate all the outposts.

I think every outpost has to be up for grabs to everyone or it will diminish pvp honestly. If it is popular enough that some of the big towns of old are running with 20+ people online which would be required honestly to hold more than 1-2 outposts, then its a huge net positive for pvp and id be more than happy to see them "winning" so long as tons of pvp fighting is going on.

One thing i would say is there probably would need to be some restriction on group teleport within and near these bases to counter insta- reinforcement across the world constantly.