• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Factions + Heroes for Haven

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I'm considering this.

Here's why:

We're wanting a more team based objective system for Haven. Something that we've currently been missing with Townships.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the matter, I brought this to the forums to see what you, as a community, have to say.

Note: I didn't give an ETA, I didn't say it was happening, I'm here to get opinions - KISS.

Last edited:

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
We have been waiting literally months for the township plugin to be rewritten. It is now in Alpha testing, and now you want to scrap that?

Factions would be a major overhaul and would require a map wipe, you cannot introduce this three months into Haven.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
If there's any plugins that make my mind scream "GENERIC SERVER", it's Towny, MCMMO and Factions.
Honestly, if you wanted to use Factions to replace HeroTowns for anything (and my mind's view of implementation leads to replacing it as the only outcome) it'd be *almost* as bad as if you said "Let's not use Heroes, let's use MCMMO."

(And really, go look at server lists, the server titles are filled to the brim with "TOWNY" "FACTIONS" and "MCMMO")

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
I'm considering this.

Here's why:

We're wanting a more team based objective system for Haven. Something that we've currently been missing with Townships.

Feel free to post your thoughts on the matter, I brought this to the forums to see what you, as a community, have to say.
I mean this in the most respectful way possible...

Factions are garbage and with all the new features coming with Townships who'd want to go back to the dark ages?

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
I would love to have guild support but factions is a horrible plug in, just in general!
The plugin team for HC (I am a derp who forgot the name of the team) can do brilliant things and I am sure that factions could be used in a positive way in the right circumstances.

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
The plugin team for HC (I am a derp who forgot the name of the team) can do brilliant things and I am sure that factions could be used in a positive way in the right circumstances.
That would require striping most of the features in factions making it not even worth it. I would rather see the coding team modifying the the new township plug in to suit the needs of guilds.

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
Another suggestion is to leave factions on one map like ruins or shrine and leave towns in just haven?

uin153

Legacy Supporter 6
why would it mean a map wipe?
It would need a map wipe for many reasons, the main being that herotowns and faction areas that are already claimed will override each other, and if you were to remove herotowns, that would leave everyone on the server with no protection of their items for a decent ammount of time, and the way faction claiming works is only chuck by chunk of lands (MINECRAFT CHUNKS) and each of those chunks of land will take one power, each player having 10 power, and when a player dies, they lose an amount of power, stopping at -10 and the cap on power being +10. So if your town is full of noobs that always die, then your land will be claimed over (Yes, as in you lose that land till you can claim it back again) and any items that were in that chunk of land will be gone. I think that the HC community will just HATE this change with a passion if it ever goes in for mainly that reason, HC people hate losing their items, they feel like once they get something, there should be no way to lose it if they stash it up in their towns.

Dont get me wrong I love factions on most PVP servers, but since the HC community has already been with this idea where all of their items are always safe if they are blocked up in a town region, swaping away from that will just be a negative thing to hit the server

barbas0l

Legacy Supporter 7
Retired Staff
I've never done much research on the faction system, so I can't argue too much against it.

However,
I REALLY like the town system, and highly anticipate the upcoming plugin. I do feel it's pretty easy for just about anyone to create a town at the moment. I feel like towns provide a tight-knit community within a broader community feel, a feeling that I've missed sorely in other games.

I feel like faction would only promote more trash talk and bottleneck a lot of the players into choosing between fewer choices than they currently have.

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
If you would like more team based objectives kainzo what about perks for towns when you do specific goals or quests.

Some perks could be town graveyards, beacons, more exp when farming, Better defense/damage on town regions, a skill to teleport to town etc.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Instead of adding a new sail to the mast, it might be nice to repair the already-existing holes in the hull. It would be amazing to be able to use hoppers and anvils again. It would be nice to not have these severe lag spikes that seem to be happening nightly. It would be nice to get horses working and PVP vibrant again. Arenas, quests, duels, balancing of classes, & empowerment of professions...the plate looks mighty full already.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
i dunno a whole lot about factions as this is the only server i really play on, but we definitely need something more to encourage pvp. Capturing / holding territory, or outposts, or something, even if its on a different map than haven. Tying those captures into resource / soul rewards, titles or other bonuses would hopefully entice more people to participate.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
I have never played another server but from talking to people who have played on faction servers there is a lot of infighting and backstabing on them compared to our server. I am currently playing on Shrine as I like pvp when I want it and not when I don't, so I'm on Shrine for now. I am excited aboit pvp objectives coming to Haven - it will give pvp a meaning and I think bring a lot of players like me into haven to help their friends / town mates capture objectives...

xMJay

Portal
I agree that the current Town plug-in discourages pvp, and needs to be tweaked. An idea I got from another server I play was to make towns be able to be "captured" by another town. How this could work would be that one town declares war on another town. Then a specified war-time or agreed upon time with about a 2 hour window would be "war" time. Within each town there would be points that need to be captured(ie obsidian blocks with specified hp or KoH type flags that require staying within a certain radius etc.). If those points were taken out by the opposing town then the winning town would "own" the losing town. Now the perks of owning could range from bragging rights to a mandatory soul tax. There are plug-ins(not sure of names) that can make the structures inside the town regen back to pre-war status to prevent griefing. Also chests can be made to be inaccessible or disappear if touched etc., so a town cannot lose their goods. Now not only do I think this would bring more town v town pvp, but also should make alliances mean something as multiple towns could declare war on a single town.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Not joining the anti-change hate train, but I agree with most these points.
The main problem I see with Factions:
  1. You can only gain power through pvp
  2. Economic power isn't rewarded (see 1)
  3. Makes pvp actually worst since it would be just lead to people making giant areas where they can't be attacked (Make a box and dig down)
  4. Further camping of noobs (of those who don't have a faction yet)
Lets list what good it brings:
  • The gradual conquest of land due to superior power.
  • A simpler system (But also more prone to exploits)
The main attraction that factions has is "baby regions," but that is already happening with the new town plugin. I don't think GAINING more land is the way to make pvp better. I would rather there be protected areas in the world where towns could fight over and capture.(Like others have said)

Examples:

Mines: Gives players a mining boost
Gold Mines: Give players a shard drop boost
Graveyard: Private graveyard for all town members (Maybe Allies)
Herogate: A smaller Herogate that could be used by town members
Village: Gain access to NPC village- Where you could accept quests, trade with NPC villagers, and ban access to Enemy towns.
Barracks: NPC Guards would help protect your town.

Though this would require a lot of coding (Major AI work), but I think it would definitely fit the server and make it feel more "Alive"

JazzDesignation

Legacy Supporter 8
Instead of adding a new sail to the mast, it might be nice to repair the already-existing holes in the hull. It would be amazing to be able to use hoppers and anvils again. It would be nice to not have these severe lag spikes that seem to be happening nightly. It would be nice to get horses working and PVP vibrant again. Arenas, quests, duels, balancing of classes, & empowerment of professions...the plate looks mighty full already.

Anvils arent available due to the API being bad, and Hoppers create exploits.
The server spikes cannot be controlled by Kainzo, they are the datacenters problem, not much Kainzo can do here, other than moan at the datacenter.
The idea of the factions was to get PVP going again, so you're contradicting yourself there. The Horse plugin is in development, Arenas are coming back and classes are pretty well balanced.

So really, your points were sorta lacking...

However, i do not feel that Factions belong in HC, at least not in the normal form.

You could possibly do something like creating official alliance groups, in which towns could join, and then have objectives within the world that alliances or towns could attempt to complete, i.e. "Kill x amount of players from X", though i would hope that would be given a level requirement to stop mastered players camping low levels to complete this. Obviously rewards would be given for completing such objectives.

You could also have defending objectives (if possible), such as "Kill X amount of players whilst in [Their Town]".

EDIT: Also, i would love to see an official Guild plugin on the server, much the same as the new Township plugin coming soon, but obviously adjusted for guilds. This would also boost PVP tenfold.

I do like the ideas malikdanab has suggested too.