• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Drainsoul

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Drainsouls do absurd amount of damage and the CD is not enough to compensate. Should be nerfed.
Not true. There is an invuln timer that cannot be overwritten by melee attacks. However heroes skills bypass this.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
It really pisses me off how Necromancers can kite people, by running away and using drainsoul every 7 seconds I mean all they have to do is bind your name and run away for a while and you get a kill :confused:
Kiting is an intended effect of Casters - however, the balance of drainsoul is being done..

Sweord

Glowstone
Okay, I've been messing around with Drainsoul the last while, and I feel like it was nerfed a little too much. I haven't had a chance to PvP with Necro yet, but the combination of the increased cooldown and mana cost make the skill hard to use against just mobs. Sure, I can get the increased cooldown, the skill was pretty spam-able beforehand, but the increased mana just kills it. From a 5 second CD and 15 mana cost to a 7 second CD and 22 mana cost seems to be a little overkill, in my opinion, and I don't want to appear to be whining, but for the fact that this is our most basic skill I think it should be a little more usable than it is currently.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Okay, I've been messing around with Drainsoul the last while, and I feel like it was nerfed a little too much. I haven't had a chance to PvP with Necro yet, but the combination of the increased cooldown and mana cost make the skill hard to use against just mobs. Sure, I can get the increased cooldown, the skill was pretty spam-able beforehand, but the increased mana just kills it. From a 5 second CD and 15 mana cost to a 7 second CD and 22 mana cost seems to be a little overkill, in my opinion, and I don't want to appear to be whining, but for the fact that this is our most basic skill I think it should be a little more usable than it is currently.
Don't forget the damage at max level went down by almost 40 I think lol.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I think all drainsoul really needed was a damage nerf. It was basically giving the same hitpoint advantage as Bolting someone. Only it had a instant cast and lower cooldown/mana cost.

The fact that it was creating a 270 HP advantage when mastered was the main problem with it imo

F

Falker57

My problem is that drainsoul did alot of damage and the person never had to look at you if they binded it to you. Whatever happened to line of sight? Maybe make drainsoul hit a smaller hitbox (If thats codable) so they have to barely aim

Sweord

Glowstone
Skill binds work regardless. How do you think people healed tanks in the MA? If the person binds a key with /skill drainsoul Falker57, it will always hit you no matter the hitbox size.

Ostadar

Legacy Supporter 7
I can understand a damage nerf to Drainsoul to balance Necromancer, but it still leaves them hurting.

They have mostly DoT skills; Single target ones at that. For those DoTs to be effective they need to stay alive with the healing from Drainsoul and the damage mitigation from Harmshield. The difference, and problem with the situation, is the levels between the skills. Drainsoul is obtained at level 1 while Harmshield is obtained at level 60, when Necromancer is mastered. At level 60 Drainsoul and Harmshield combined as it stands can be considered overpowering due to the healing and damage prevention combined. Without Harmshield though the only reliable survival skill at a Necromancer's disposal is Drainsoul; For 59 levels.

Then there are the what-if questions when involved with the Necromancer.
  1. What if it isn't a 1v1 scenario and is instead a group battle, with anywhere between three to twenty people? Can't very well bind a names to Drainsoul for an assured hit. At least not all of them. The AoE a Necromancer has becomes more useful then and so does Harmshield.
  2. What if the Necromancer can't Kite? Harmshield and Drainsoul is all they have to survive and the DoTs will just suck up necessary mana to stay alive. Weaker drainsoul means the necromancer Will die(no Ifs, Will die), simple as that. Considering that chances dictate that it will happen a good chunk of the fights the Necromancer gets into, they'll die each of those times. Especially if they haven't gotten Harmshield yet which would mean they should just stand there and take it. I know for a fact there will be situations they won't be able to Kite, there are skills that prevent it.
  3. What if it is a 1v1 and a Necromancer's Drainsoul is nerfed? Let me answer that with logic. Drainsoul is a survival tool, it's mean to give healing to the Necromancer while doing damage. People will still die to Necromancer's who use Drainsoul, they will get upset, and afterwards they will ask for nerfs again. It's how the cycle goes in every game with variety between classes.
Maybe nerfing Drainsoul's damage a bit will balance it so it will be more in-tune with the other classes but, and here is the kicker, Each class has something about it that someone could call broken(Not that it's broken, it's just what the class does better than other classes. Variety people!). It's why most people choose a particular class unless they just Really enjoy how it plays. So with that...

Good luck, Have Fun. Enjoy discussing Class Balance.

Iarbobray

Legacy Supporter 2
I remember back in Zeal drainsoul (besides skeleton which needs to be re-added regardless of who it attacks) was Necromancer's bread and butter. It added survivability and a nice damage output. I know a lot has changed, but looking at how drainsoul was nerfed, that's too much. Damage seems (to me) like the only thing that should of been nerfed.

Ex/aspiring Necromancer- Iarbobray

FalseLuck

Legacy Supporter 7
I remember back in Zeal drainsoul (besides skeleton which needs to be re-added regardless of who it attacks) was Necromancer's bread and butter. It added survivability and a nice damage output. I know a lot has changed, but looking at how drainsoul was nerfed, that's too much. Damage seems (to me) like the only thing that should of been nerfed.

Ex/aspiring Necromancer- Iarbobray

I hate when people say "it is necromancer's bread and butter" like its the only good skill they have and without it they are shit. Necromancer's "bread and butter" is hellgate.... seeing as the term bread and butter refers to monetary income and not fighting ability. If I had a skill that pounded out enough damage that I could kill 80% of my enemies in 20 seconds, retain full health, and stay out of close quarters I would use it too... except I'd at least be like "yeah it rapes a bit too hard"

In short, I agree with @Danda... the healing wasn't soo much of a problem as the high, 100% accurate, instant damage. I think they nerfed it a bit too hard when they cut the healing... i thought 1/10th of your total HP was a fair number.