• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Class Revamp #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So, I think we got a lot done on the Revamp #1 - but there's still a few things we need to fix. Combat needs to be lengthened. This go around, I want to push larger RANGE for casters with HIGHER cast-times (And possible some more damage)

Overall:
  • Increase the range of caster-spells for better cast-times and hits.
  • Remove the /skill <skillname> <target> ability for manual targetting.
  • Ranger
  • Ninja
    • Envenom no longer does damage when out of range when re-applied.
  • Runeblade
    • Reduce mana gain per tick from 14 to 12
  • Bard
  • Mystic
  • Cleric
  • Bloodmage
  • Disiciple
    • Slightly increase mana cost for force-skills
    • Add a reagent to meditation
    • QuiveringPalm now does X instead of Y
  • Paladin
  • Dreadknight
  • Samurai
  • Dragoon
  • Wizard
  • Beguiler
  • Pryomancer
  • Necromancer
    • Hellgate should now have a much better success rate.
I've changed the notes from last revamp and added them here to put our changes.

Licksterboy

Legacy Supporter 3
Happy to see another revamp, this will also give us a chance to see if any of the changes in the class revamp #1 need to be rethought. (Disciple)

Also, I am not so sure removing target spells is such a good idea. Although this would stop players from pulling a dick move in pvp and binding skills to their enemy, but what about heals? It is incredibly hard to heal someone in a team fight without name binds. (Minus AoEs)

Furthermore, if combat time is increased, bloodmage's infusion should be able to be used in combat, because at the moment it's their only efficient heal since bloodgift heals 96 hp with a 15 second cool down.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Happy to see another revamp, this will also give us a chance to see if any of the changes in the class revamp #1 need to be rethought. (Disciple)

Also, I am not so sure removing target spells is such a good idea. Although this would stop players from pulling a dick move in pvp and binding skills to their enemy, but what about heals? It is incredibly hard to heal someone in a team fight without name binds. (Minus AoEs)

Furthermore, if combat time is increased, bloodmage's infusion should be able to be used in combat, because at the moment it's their only efficient heal since bloodgift heals 96 hp with a 15 second cool down.
We arent removing it for heals - only offensive skills.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Alrighty, let's get the ball rolling. Balance Team

Balance Concerns:
In my opinion, there are two classes that have a large amount of balance issues right now. Disciple, and the Necromancer.

Disciples
This class has it all. It can heal, it deals damage, it can 1v1, it can teamfight. It does all of these things and does them well. The issue however is that it simply excels a bit too well at these things, and QuiveringPalm has unfortunately pushed that over the deep end. I want to fix this.

Necromancers
This class, in my opinion, is too "free". Everything is instant cast, has a massive range, and does a large portion of damage. What's more is that it all stacks on top of each other to create unintended effects, such as slows and melee damage buffs.

In solo situations, they can completely dominate most classes by simply running around in circles, turning around, dropping a DoT, and continuing on with his business. Their immense level of DoT effects also have the adverse effect of slowing the crap out of their target, while also providing very large amounts of bonus melee damage for any allies nearby. Web also has a large contribution to this bonus.

The whole class just feels really "unfair" to anyone playing against it, and he, quite frankly, just has too much power with no real cost. I'd personally like to remove one or even two DoT effects from the class, but seeing as how we just gave them a new one, I'm not entirely sure Kainzo would be fond of the idea. So I'm keeping it simple--I just want to make him less "free/guaranteed".

Leveling Concerns:

Dreadknight and Beguiler have a really tough time leveling in the earlier levels. I suggest moving some skills around to help ease the pain a bit.

Initial Ideas / Suggestions for the Update:

So, in my opinion, the goal of this update is kind of a major one. To effectively "slow the pace of combat", we really need to change everything for everyone. I don't mean to say their entire skillset should be reworked, but a very large portion of each classes skills need to be tweaked in some manner in order to accomplish the desired goal. I also thing this is a good opportunity to add in some re-balancing for the previously mentioned classes.

As Kainzo stated, increasing cast ranges and cast times are the primary goal here, but I think that changing certain skills that were previously instant cast to warmup abilities is also a good idea.

I'd like to state that these are by no means perfect numbers. I'm estimating for most of them, and cannot state with certaintity that they will be exactly what we need. Ultimately, I would love to see these placed on test and then given ample time to playtest the changes. The easiest way to ensure that we are achieving our goal is to experience it for ourselves.

GLOBAL
Increase global cooldown of all abilities from 1000ms (1 second) to 1500ms (1.5 seconds).

Caster
Fireball:​
Add a warmup time of 0.5 seconds.​
Beguiler
Plague Bomb:​
Increase cooldown to 13 seconds.​
Necromancer
Drainsoul:​
Battery:​
Remove or rework this ability.​
Web:​
Remove the warmup on this ability.​
Poison:​
Blight:​
Plague:​
Add a warmup time of 1 second.​
Despair:​
Increase warmup by 1 second.​
Reduce range by 1 block.​
Currently, this skill does not actually get "used" unless a target is found.​
Remove this check, and allow it to be "wasted" if the class does not hit a player with this skill.​
DarkRitual:​
Increase mana gained from 15 to 25.​
HarmShield:​
Increase warmup by 0.5 seconds.​
Pyromancer
Inferno:​
Increase warmup by 0.5 seconds.​
Remove this check, and allow it to be "wasted" if the class does not hit a player with this skill.​
Wizard
Icebolt:​
Bolt:​
Increase cast time by 0.5 seconds.​
Increase range by 1 block.​
Megabolt:​
Increase cast time by 1.5 seconds.​
Increase range by 2 blocks.​
Arcane Blast:​
Add reagent cost of 5 gunpowder.​
Decrease damage from 300 to 275.​
Bard
Envenom:​
Remove this ability.​

VoidSong:​
Disciple
DivineWord:​
Remove this ability. (Already been done I think?)​
ForcePush:​
Increase cooldown to 10 seconds.​
Increase manacost from 10 to 15.​
ForcePull:​
Increase manacost from 10 to 15.​
QuiveringPalm:​
Rework this ability to be as initially described. (Debuff)​
Add warmup of 0.5 seconds.​
Runeblade
Reduce Mana Regeneration per tick from 14 to 12.​
Add new warmup ability. (Not yet decided)​
Runeword:​
Add a warmup time of 1 second.​
Ranger
Ice Arrow:​
Decrease slow from Slowness III to Slowness II.​
Increase duration by 3 seconds.​

Samurai
AsuraSlash:​
Increase the damage dealt to the Samurai by 40.​
Paladin
Reckoning:​

Dreadknight
Shadowstep:​
Increase range to 7 blocks.​
Dragoon
LunarLance:​
Add warmup time of 0.5 seconds.​
Add a mana cost of 35.​
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I've got for now. I'm curious of what the rest of the team thinks, and if they have anything to add. I think several melee classes should probably have their left click damage toned down as well, but I honestly cannot give accurate numbers without first experiencing these proposed changes in action.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
On the note of Void Song, I think more skills should waste. That way these hefty burst skills have a chance to deal with risk for reward. On that note, I've been seeing a large influx on Wizard win rates in battle (While I still think Necro is up there, you already addressed it.) I think with their already large kiting amount, the extra burst damage skill is giving them more to hit with.

I propose Arcane Blast be waste-able or have some damage reduction. Maybe 250-280.

To address your post Delf, I can't see anything that stands out as wrong with it (As long as these cast times don't follow slow effects unless needed.) Though without play testing I don't think we can say for sure.

So I wanted to address Samurai a bit. Take it how you will since I may be a bit bias in this territory. I've been play testing it the most as its my live class and I've noticed Speed pots totally ruin our speed buff. On top of that, the dot length seems to have nerfed out damage quite a bit. I was pretty satisfied up until I started losing about 90% of my fair fights. What I'm seeing is the damage just seems meh and the small health increase doesn't make us tanky enough to deal with the other class changes.

I purpose some damage increase on either our basic attack or one of our dots and either increase our speed buff length and lower the cool down or bumped back up to speed 3. I just don't see why a skill should be so useless. I mean speed 3 is a bit rough on casters, but we lose majority of any mobility when anyone can obtain our level of speed. As for damage, I don't want to pop out any values just yet, though I notice that with the tick changes, we do a ton less damage. Which is good, but we can't seem to win against anything. I'm not the only samurai that feels this way either. Again, take it how you will, I'm a bit afraid to address this, don't want to seem like I'm asking for a class buff >.<

I'm going to try and take a look at Disc when I can though, I just don't see the class being that bad right now from watching, going to get some testing on that when I can.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Thanks for the input Victim.

On the note of Void Song, I think more skills should waste. That way these hefty burst skills have a chance to deal with risk for reward.
I agree completely with this opinion. I don't know if doing this to targetable skills is really the way to go, but for AoE abilities, I am 100% of the mindset that they should always be used, regardless of whether or not they hit a target. I've outlined the few that I know about in my main post. If there are any others that I am missing, let me know.

On that note, I've been seeing a large influx on Wizard win rates in battle (While I still think Necro is up there, you already addressed it.) I think with their already large kiting amount, the extra burst damage skill is giving them more to hit with.

I propose Arcane Blast be waste-able or have some damage reduction. Maybe 250-280.
To be honest I can't say that I've noticed Wizards being much different, even with this ability. With that said, I still agree that ArcaneBlast is a bit too strong in it's current state. I've edited my original post with suggested changes to alleviate this.

To address your post Delf, I can't see anything that stands out as wrong with it (As long as these cast times don't follow slow effects unless needed.) Though without play testing I don't think we can say for sure.
I think it is inherent that they come with slows attached. I do not think there is any way to change this, and I don't really think it should. Naturally, I still want to playtest these things myself before finalizing anything.

So I wanted to address Samurai a bit. Take it how you will since I may be a bit bias in this territory. I've been play testing it the most as its my live class and I've noticed Speed pots totally ruin our speed buff. On top of that, the dot length seems to have nerfed out damage quite a bit. I was pretty satisfied up until I started losing about 90% of my fair fights. What I'm seeing is the damage just seems meh and the small health increase doesn't make us tanky enough to deal with the other class changes.

I purpose some damage increase on either our basic attack or one of our dots and either increase our speed buff length and lower the cool down or bumped back up to speed 3. I just don't see why a skill should be so useless. I mean speed 3 is a bit rough on casters, but we lose majority of any mobility when anyone can obtain our level of speed. As for damage, I don't want to pop out any values just yet, though I notice that with the tick changes, we do a ton less damage. Which is good, but we can't seem to win against anything. I'm not the only samurai that feels this way either. Again, take it how you will, I'm a bit afraid to address this, don't want to seem like I'm asking for a class buff >.<
Samurai eh? Well I understand your position, as you are pretty much 100% a Samurai only player. To have a lot of nerfs hit you out of nowhere is bound to leave you feeling a little disgruntled about the class.

The fact of the matter is though--Samurai was far too strong. Even taking it's role into consideration, I do not believe that it was "balanced" at all. It did far too much damage, and did so faster than any other class. It also had decent armor and health considering the large amount of burst it dealt. This, coupled with their completely unhindered movement and ability to move faster than any other class--was absurd.

I haven't really talked with too many Samurai player's since the update, so I'll admit I'm a bit in the dark regarding their capabilities now, so I can't really provide much input on what should be done with them right now (if anything at all).

I do however, agree with one point. Speed II for an ability is dumb. The fact is, it just isn't special. Any and all players can acquire this effect with simple potion usage. What's more, is that if you ARE using a potion, you can't even use your own ability. It's annoying, to say the least.

I don't think there is any immediate solution to this, as I believe it should be solved by replacing the ability all together. Speed III is too fast, but Speed II collides with potion effects and isn't nearly as powerful.

I'm going to try and take a look at Disc when I can though, I just don't see the class being that bad right now from watching, going to get some testing on that when I can.
You should /col duel some half decent Disciples. You'll understand reeeal quick what's wrong with them.

To save you the time, I'll give you a summary. The primary issue with the class is how strong their ability to kite is. They can toss you around as they desire, and heal without any interruption. They choose when the fight starts, and when it ends. They do not have to fight until they are ready to do so, and when they do, they always have an advantage over the other player.

The cooldown on their forcepush/forcepull is also just downright laughable, and the stamina / mana costs are very minor. These are very spammable, very powerful nukes that interrupt spells, and disrupt player coordination. These abilities can also be used to stack up very large amounts of fall damage, and have no risk factor when doing so. It just isn't right, in my opinion.

Also, if you combine these abilities with QuiveringPalm, they do not actually move the target anywhere. The stun effect ensures that the player cannot be moved by any other abilities. This means that that the force skills can be used for no reason other than to nuke the player and get more left click damage in. Again, I do not think this is very fair.

If you fix their ability to abuse the force abilities like they are currently being abused for, and rework quiveringpalm, the class should be fine. I believe every other aspect of them is fairly balanced.

Haunted9899

Legacy Supporter 3
I am interested to see how this increase in cool-down and range affects melee classes. If you increase range this could make it next to impossible for a melee to catch a caster, because of the way in which these skills are generally cast. If I'm a wizard I'm going to cast my spell and then turn and run. If the melee pursue, not only do they get hit by a powerful spell, they also get a little hindered depending on the skill. Add in hills and multilevel terrain and this could become very imbalanced. I know this is only one example, but I only have the one caster at the moment to use as a reference.

We need to be careful, and make sure that melee does not get eclipsed. We will need to test these changes extensively to make sure we don't break the game. Delfofthebla

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I am interested to see how this increase in cool-down and range affects melee classes. If you increase range this could make it next to impossible for a melee to catch a caster, because of the way in which these skills are generally cast. If I'm a wizard I'm going to cast my spell and then turn and run. If the melee pursue, not only do they get hit by a powerful spell, they also get a little hindered depending on the skill. Add in hills and multilevel terrain and this could become very imbalanced. I know this is only one example, but I only have the one caster at the moment to use as a reference.

We need to be careful, and make sure that melee does not get eclipsed. We will need to test these changes extensively to make sure we don't break the game. Delfofthebla
I see what you mean, but with warm ups, it may make it easier to catch up. If we can get a full list made up, I say we push it for test.

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2
I personally think skillshots such as fireball shouldn't have a warm up timer. This is just going to make them clunkier and harder to use. They have always had a long range, and I don't think anything about them is inherently Over powered.

So adding longer ranges and warm ups will slow down caster v caster combat, and caster v melee combat, but that doesn't change the fact that a ninja can rip through another melees health in 4-5 seconds. What are we doing about melee v melee combat to slow it's pace down.

A while ago I though of an idea that would let combat trail out longer, without it turning everything into a 20 minute long chase. When health was first increased, back during (mid-end of zeal?), I noticed that with longer lasting fights, many fights would turn into chases that would last for 100s of blocks. With the health being high, people could bolt with 2 hearts left, and still take a considerable amount of hits.

Now over time skills have adapted and in my opinion, combat has sped up to what it was in the past. If we are working towards slowing it down, then it is possible that these awkward chases may happen once again.

So what I though up was a, lets call it "Exponential Health System". (To fit with lore you could call it the "Crippling Effect" or something along those lines) It would work by changing the damage you received by a % based on the % of health you had missing. This would cause fights to start off slowly and then over time, speed up, so by the time someone realized they were close to dying, they would be taking 1-2 hearts per hit.

Fights like this would start out very slow, with base weapon damages being even as low as 20-40.

Say you have 1000 base health, and your attacker (Enemy Sammy) is doing 30 damage with each basic attack.

(100%) 1000 health - 30 damage per hit (+0%)
(75%) 750 health - 37.5 damage per hit (+25%)
(50%) 500 health - 45 damage per hit (+50%)
(25%) 250 health - 52.5 damage per hit (+75%)
(10%) 100 health - 57 damage per hit (+90%)
(5%) 50 health - 59.5 damage per hit (+95%)

Now all these numbers are just placeholders, obviously, but your damage taken over time would look something like this.

exponential_growth.jpg

In the end, this model would last exactly the same amount of time as the current one, just without that somewhat annoying last 2-3 hearts of health. This would also make classes such as dragoons choose to commit or run at 5 or 6 hearts, rather than the 2-3 that they can pull of now.

Now I realize that in the end this is exactly the same as our current system, and that people will adapt, but I do think that the psychological side of glancing down and seeing you have 5 hearts left will change how people view mortality in pvp. And it will enable us to up the length of fights a considerable bit, without causing awkward chases, and last second escapes.

I don't even know if this is codeable, or if it is even close to something that might be desirable, but I feel like there is no reason not to put this idea forward.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Okay - I've been out a bit because of vacation/weekend stuff.

I am porting over the changes to Test so we can start doing edits and restarts to get the "new revamp" stuff in.
This patch will not be as large as the last revamp but there will be many changes.

Delfofthebla
I'm not 100% sure how-to "waste" a skill when used, may need to see what we need to change in the code to make this a reality.

victim130

Legacy Supporter 8
I personally think skillshots such as fireball shouldn't have a warm up timer. This is just going to make them clunkier and harder to use. They have always had a long range, and I don't think anything about them is inherently Over powered.

So adding longer ranges and warm ups will slow down caster v caster combat, and caster v melee combat, but that doesn't change the fact that a ninja can rip through another melees health in 4-5 seconds. What are we doing about melee v melee combat to slow it's pace down.

A while ago I though of an idea that would let combat trail out longer, without it turning everything into a 20 minute long chase. When health was first increased, back during (mid-end of zeal?), I noticed that with longer lasting fights, many fights would turn into chases that would last for 100s of blocks. With the health being high, people could bolt with 2 hearts left, and still take a considerable amount of hits.

Now over time skills have adapted and in my opinion, combat has sped up to what it was in the past. If we are working towards slowing it down, then it is possible that these awkward chases may happen once again.

So what I though up was a, lets call it "Exponential Health System". (To fit with lore you could call it the "Crippling Effect" or something along those lines) It would work by changing the damage you received by a % based on the % of health you had missing. This would cause fights to start off slowly and then over time, speed up, so by the time someone realized they were close to dying, they would be taking 1-2 hearts per hit.

Fights like this would start out very slow, with base weapon damages being even as low as 20-40.

Say you have 1000 base health, and your attacker (Enemy Sammy) is doing 30 damage with each basic attack.

Now all these numbers are just placeholders, obviously, but your damage taken over time would look something like this.

exponential_growth.jpg

In the end, this model would last exactly the same amount of time as the current one, just without that somewhat annoying last 2-3 hearts of health. This would also make classes such as dragoons choose to commit or run at 5 or 6 hearts, rather than the 2-3 that they can pull of now.

Now I realize that in the end this is exactly the same as our current system, and that people will adapt, but I do think that the psychological side of glancing down and seeing you have 5 hearts left will change how people view mortality in pvp. And it will enable us to up the length of fights a considerable bit, without causing awkward chases, and last second escapes.

I don't even know if this is codeable, or if it is even close to something that might be desirable, but I feel like there is no reason not to put this idea forward.
Would this apply to ability damage too? Because if not, that allows casters to have an edge. While if it was true, no one would use skills (Besides CC) until the half HP mark or so. Not to mention it would be tough to code looking at skills like cleave where they do more based on your base damage. While I like the idea, I think its more of a combat foundation where we already have a foundation.

I do, however, see a problem with fireball warmup. I think I over looked it at first, but this may make aiming really tough. I think that if this is desirable, we add like five blocks of range to compensate. Same for icebolt.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Okay - I've been out a bit because of vacation/weekend stuff.

I am porting over the changes to Test so we can start doing edits and restarts to get the "new revamp" stuff in.
This patch will not be as large as the last revamp but there will be many changes.

Delfofthebla
I'm not 100% sure how-to "waste" a skill when used, may need to see what we need to change in the code to make this a reality.
I can help with this. I know how to do it.

iHazBryn

Legacy Supporter 2
Would this apply to ability damage too? Because if not, that allows casters to have an edge. While if it was true, no one would use skills (Besides CC) until the half HP mark or so. Not to mention it would be tough to code looking at skills like cleave where they do more based on your base damage. While I like the idea, I think its more of a combat foundation where we already have a foundation.

I do, however, see a problem with fireball warmup. I think I over looked it at first, but this may make aiming really tough. I think that if this is desirable, we add like five blocks of range to compensate. Same for icebolt.

Yes skills would have to scale accordingly as well.

And yes I agree, we already have a strong foundation, its just an idea I have had floating around in my mind for a long time, and I wanted to put it onto paper.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff

exponential_growth.jpg

Very good points you have there. I am aware that melee combat is still an issue, and to address that, I had planned to put together some numbers for decreasing left click damage, and possibly combining it with health increases across the board. However I first wanted to play around with the warmup stuff before doing so.

For your proposed system, well, I'm not too sure I'm a fan of it. Certainly, having slower fights from the start would be interesting, but I don't really like the idea of altering the damage of abilities/left clicks over time to accomplish this. It makes it harder to balance, and it makes it harder to understand from a player's perspective. Health should be health, damage should be damage. Keeping these things static and balancing around this is, in my opinion, the best way to go.

As far as the fireball warmup goes, perhaps you two are right. Honestly I'd still like to play around with it myself, but there may be no need to introduce complexity to the skill, as it can often be difficult to land anyways.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Is it possible with the current coding/setup to restrict attack speed?
I know right click spam cannot be stopped due to engine design but what about a controllable timer on when melee damage can be given, not applied. So a timer on the attacker not on the defender?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Is it possible with the current coding/setup to restrict attack speed?
I know right click spam cannot be stopped due to engine design but what about a controllable timer on when melee damage can be given, not applied. So a timer on the attacker not on the defender?
Not easily unless we change how vanilla-minecraft handles damage... which we dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.