• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Class] Pacifist Class

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Unfortunately,
I don't have the time to read all of this thread - so I'll just state what's up. Also, please keep it civil, mods have more time than me and will lock/delete/warn players for offending posts.

1) Herocraft is an RPG and we want players to form choices on how they play. It may be PVP, it may not be PVP, it may be RP, PVP, building, just chatting at spawn.

While I think this is a great idea, we hope to remedy "bullying" (or at least lesson it) by having extended tutorial worlds, full chaos worlds and everything else being very karma-influenced. Murderers will think twice before going down the sinful path.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
Unfortunately,
I don't have the time to read all of this thread - so I'll just state what's up. Also, please keep it civil, mods have more time than me and will lock/delete/warn players for offending posts.

1) Herocraft is an RPG and we want players to form choices on how they play. It may be PVP, it may not be PVP, it may be RP, PVP, building, just chatting at spawn.

While I think this is a great idea, we hope to remedy "bullying" (or at least lesson it) by having extended tutorial worlds, full chaos worlds and everything else being very karma-influenced. Murderers will think twice before going down the sinful path.

Thank you for replying to this thread. The unfortunate truth of the matter is that currently, if you're not good at PvP (Either by not being of high enough level, flat out not being good at it, or a combination of both such as me), you get crushed on this server. While reading through the entire thread at this moment might be a bit much currently due to the sheer size of the posts (I apologize for that, actually. xD), the major consensus seems to be that PvP is very important to the server. There is no other choice.

I will leave the final decision up to you, but please consider the non-PvP'ers, even if their voice is lost in the crowd of PvP'ers.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I'll admit the farm was in an exposed area, unregioned and on the surface. It's not MY farm, but a farm I found and maintained, even improved. That said, to say I play without discretion is a bit of an overstatement. The fields are very large as well as flat, meaning that for the most part I can easily see if someone is coming on one of my periodic quick scans around even if they're sneaking. I keep my eye on the surroundings at all times, except when I'm answering questions in /h, snarking in /o or chatting with my party.

But, and correct me if this is wrong, your back-up plan in the situation of seeing someone on your farm is to log out. You claim to be unable to escape mobility and range skills, and explain the many ways you can die while fleeing. You spoke of how even building a wall around you failed. Does this not leave you with only the options to fight and die, or logout?

That is not hardcore, realistic gameplay. If you want to play the game and not get ganked or have to log upon seeing anyone, you need to be secretive and careful, until you reach a high level.

Know the area you are in, whether it has towns or ports near it, and you will know the chances of running into someone on the surface. Know which areas have been mined, and you will have a reasonable surety of not running into anyone underground.

Even playing smart, you will be killed. By Rangers like me or the people who employ us. I know you have been here some time, but Welcome to Herocraft <3
ps. Please join a town/ally group that knows how to survive and have fun. Offer your skills as a builder or profession skills, or your maintenance of a nice farm.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
But, and correct me if this is wrong, your back-up plan in the situation of seeing someone on your farm is to log out. You claim to be unable to escape mobility and range skills, and explain the many ways you can die while fleeing. You spoke of how even building a wall around you failed. Does this not leave you with only the options to fight and die, or logout?

That is not hardcore, realistic gameplay. If you want to play the game and not get ganked or have to log upon seeing anyone, you need to be secretive and careful, until you reach a high level.

Interesting note. Even reaching level 60 isn't going to help me. xD I simply have no skill in PvP. I've tried. Never won.

To put it quite bluntly, if I fight, I'll lose. The only way I'll win is if it was against someone half my level with no armor and after getting hit by a creeper blast. Slow reflexes, skills not working the way they should (I'm looking mainly at Jump working perfectly when I'm PvE'ing or solo, but always rubberbanding when in PvP), and just plain old killer lag all combine to make me the ultimate PvP bait.

So is the hardcore thing to do basically just stand there, let them kill you, wait for them to loot your chest and move on, then continue doing what you're doing? Or do what I'm currently doing and log out on sight? A mouse won't fight a cat anymore than I'd jump into a PvP situation. The odds are just too unbalanced against me, even if the opponent is of a similar level to me.

I might look into Duels though. If you don't lose anything on losing a duel and you don't need to pay anything, I might start accepting a few and training there. It's not my preferred way but when you're on Herocraft, do what the 'Heroes' do.

Know the area you are in, whether it has towns or ports near it, and you will know the chances of running into someone on the surface. Know which areas have been mined, and you will have a reasonable surety of not running into anyone underground.

The farm actually has fairly poor traffic. I see maybe two people a day, three on a busy day. The day I posted this thread I saw three, one of who ganked me when I deliberately took his attention so my guildmate could log out. The other two I saw and instantly logged out since I was alone then. But most days it's fairly quiet, just how I like it.

Even playing smart, you will be killed. By Rangers like me or the people who employ us. I know you have been here some time, but Welcome to Herocraft <3

I can feel the love.

ps. Please join a town/ally group that knows how to survive and have fun. Offer your skills as a builder or profession skills, or your maintenance of a nice farm.

I'm a victim of my own high standards here. xD Believe me I've been looking into towns. I just can't join Evil ones 'cause of said standards. I might cave a bit and join a Neutral one, but eh. I'd join Oakenshire except it's too PvP oriented. At this point in time I'm considering Wyntervale or maybe DemonsWood. The Vigil and RiverWatch are potential candidates too. I hope to apply to one before the next week ends.

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
Ever heard of Newerth?
It is a town which mostly aims on creativity and builds, u could go in there and apply, but just a few notes, there will be always raiders in NW, so when u die by iother player call town managers or town pvpers to take care of it, and get them cover ur deth chest.
A side note to training, start using macro keybinds, then when u dun have weapon or anything, u can still hit them with skills, and u can do ur melee damage and with skills.
If u wanna train, train with those who are lower lv then u, as u said u are like me, so bad at pvp, so if u loose against a lower lv player just continue to duel them, eventually u will learn which skill to use against different classes and different movements. U can ask experience pvpers in town or O/T chat.
OH, another side note, u can just stay at a under ground 2*1hole, stay hid and start col duelling or dming, just train until u got the skill to handle simple ambushes( which i have not done yet) then go up and lv up to 60.
If u are interest u can train with me a 36 wiz. If u are from america, u will encounter me in morning 6-9 am. Which if u can't meet me then it is quite sad, cause i have encounter the same problem as u did. It is a relief finally someone can stand up and talk about this situation. XD <3

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
Once in a swamp, I got ambushed, and killed, which is quite fair if 8 am not paying attention. I am a lv20 and rising of hell is lv 60.
I respawn at the grave yard and go and get back the chest, just when I got it I got killed again, then he calls pewpew and troll me, using carrots and potatoes to hit me since I have nothing at all.
It isn't the pvp, the hardcore nature of the game, the leveling, the being a noob, the not being in a town, or any of those things that's the problem. It's people like this. "Oh hey, let's toy with him and hit him with produce because he's got no weapons or armor and we can!" I'm even okay with chest camping, you know, for loot? Except when it actually isn't for loot and just to beat people with carrots. "Oh hey, I figured out you're an easy target. Let me get my Ranger friend to track you across all the different worlds and kill you repeatedly because I decided I don't like you. See you tomorrow." This server has major issues with bullying, regardless of whether you think pvp is 100% or 50% or whatever of its intended focus.

The implementation of the Karma system is meant to deal with noob killing
In what way? My interpretation of the karma system was that killing people with negative karma values would improve your karma value, while killing people with positive values would lower your own. Have we been informed of the specifics of the actual mechanical effects of good vs evilness? More than 50% of the server consists of pvpers who don't think twice about who they kill. I don't see more than 10% of people on Herocraft being "good" aligned in those terms. Then, killing each other makes them all good aligned? I'm just not seeing mechanical vvalue for preventing noob-killing. It just sounds like another excuse for people to silence others who's opinions differ when it comes to what's enjoyable on this game.

Why do people kill low level players?
- they're more likely to be carrying a significant amount of material wealth on them, since they aren't established
- they're easier to kill by far
- they're more likely to be out in the open, leveling
low risk, high reward, and they're easier to find. It's harder to find and fight higher level players, because they're often in established towns, or not in a place people can get to them. If you add rewards for fighting higher level players, and disincentives for fighting lower level players, we can adjust the behavior of people.

Also people have different expectations of what pvp should be. When I think of open-world pvp, I don't expect a fair fight. I'm a wizard, I'll run away from you, I have no obligation to fight you. I'll bring in 9 of my friends, you can't and shouldn't expect a fair fight in open world pvp imo, that's what arenas and duels are for. You can't have it both ways, having open-world pvp, but that is also fair and balanced in all engagements.
Why do people kill low level players? Any number of reason, not the least of which is because they can, but this in itself is not the problem. I fully expect to be killed on this server. I am okay with this fact, as I know it's a pvp-oriented server. I do not expect to be the target of frequent harassment. Frankly, some of the things people get away with on this server astound me, and the fact that the mods don't/can't do anything about it, on account of the rules actually supporting the behavior, shocks me more. There's a difference between allowing free-reign pvp and endorsing cyber/internet bullying. It's not the pvp and the killing of little digital avatars that cause problems, it's the way it's gone about. If nothing else, the server suffers in that some players actually push away new players from the server. Less potential supporters, less voters, lower retention rates, etc.

I don't need a fair fight in open-world pvp. I need for people to act in a civil manner. It's not uncommon for there to be rules against bullying in mmo games, especially smaller ones with (supposedly) tight-knit communities. Advertising other servers quickly results in a ban. Why? Because it's an attempt to get people from the server to go to a different server. Intentionally trying to force people off the server with bullying and harassment is any different? "You may as well quit the server now" is something mods and admins want their players telling other players?

I will try to define Hardcore.

~~~

Your failures are: to interact with people
The general definition of hardcore on this server applies only when you are below level 40. Beyond that, it becomes your job to make the game "hardcore" for those people still below level 40. Yes, an exaggeration, but one not far from the truth. Again: I die; I get pvp'd; I get robbed; I don't complain. I am perfectly happy with hardcore gameplay. I am not happy with the overall attitude of player on the server and the constant verbal abuse and in-game harassment that passes for legal, 'hardcore' gameplay.

Interaction with player on this server is a joke. Happening upon another player in the open-world goes down in one of three ways: I win initiative and log off before I'm killed, they win initiative and flee/log off before they think I am going to kill them, or they win initiative and attack me, usually resulting in my death. Again, I couldn't care less that I've been killed (no more than I care about dying in other games), but the total lack of interactiong is pretty depressing, but perpetuated by the state of the server. Towns do little to mitigate these problems. Sure, you can safely chat with your townies (until the raiders come anyway), but glob-forbid you pass within an extended-proximity of any town you aren't apart of. Neutral, good, or evil, you'll be attacked or at best avoided like the plague. The only interaction I have with my fellow players is here on the forums and occationally chatting in spawn.

If you don't like PvP and complain about it then this isn't the place for you.
This is the go-to response of pvp-supporters who've nothing worthwhile left to say about a subject they have only one opinion on. Theoretically, since pvp is supposed to be only a part of the server, even 50%, there should be just as many ways to not-pvp as there are to be pvp'd, and it should be just as easy. But as soon as anyone mentions anything counter-productive to pvpers, they're flamed all to hell and back again with redundant comments about how we're just noobs that should gtfo if we don't like it. Sounds a lot like 50% to me. /sarcasm

The most common excuse is that "that's how they have fun." Ganking people who can't defend themselves may be how some of the more crude players get their giggles, but the frequent problem is that "that's not how everyone has fun." But, that doesn't matter. The general consensus is that anyone who doesn't enjoy pvp is a whiny baby who needs to stfu and gtfo or learn to play living like a rat. Doesn't sound very balanced to me.

Unfortunately,

Just to note, I love it when you comment and take interest in different arguement, Kainzo.

My problem with your second paragraph is that I don't think it is being accomplished. We have no choice when it comes to how we play. We are either engage in pvp, or we may go through a very specific procedure to playing to make sure we don't. I am very, very hopefuly for the karma system, but I am still very unsure that it will do much to alleviate the problems.

So is the hardcore thing to do basically just stand there, let them kill you, wait for them to loot your chest and move on, then continue doing what you're doing? Or do what I'm currently doing and log out on sight?
This^

Either way in this scenario, I am not playing the game, and definitely not in the way I wish to play it. At the expense of me enjoying the game, someone else is getting their kicks. Do I do things that prevent others from enjoying their time on this server? By logging out and not letting them kill me, am I depriving them of their fun for the day? This is the overall root of te problem when it comes to ganking--er, I mean pvp.

Don't get me wrong, I fully respect pvpers who engage in pvp with people they can actually be challenged by, but I hardly respect your pvp score or kill streak when your name pops up in the chat window several times for knocking off the same lv11 crafter. Top 5 PVPers are the top 5 gankers for the day.

And none of that even touches on the cyberbullying that goes down here. I love this server, and the plugins it uses. I love the (few) people I've met on here who are decent people I can call friends. Almost everyone else I've met seems to have a desire to do everything in their power to make me want to leave the server. I've even been told this point-blank. And the icing is that I can't do jack about it.

A class that makes you pvp-immune may not solve all the problems, and may introduce new ones all at once, but it's a step away from forcing everyone to play the game the way "50%" the server wants them to.

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
It isn't the pvp, the hardcore nature of the game, the leveling, the being a noob, the not being in a town, or any of those things that's the problem. It's people like this. "Oh hey, let's toy with him and hit him with produce because he's got no weapons or armor and we can!" I'm even okay with chest camping, you know, for loot? Except when it actually isn't for loot and just to beat people with carrots. "Oh hey, I figured out you're an easy target. Let me get my Ranger friend to track you across all the different worlds and kill you repeatedly because I decided I don't like you. See you tomorrow." This server has major issues with bullying, regardless of whether you think pvp is 100% or 50% or whatever of its intended focus.

In what way? My interpretation of the karma system was that killing people with negative karma values would improve your karma value, while killing people with positive values would lower your own. Have we been informed of the specifics of the actual mechanical effects of good vs evilness? More than 50% of the server consists of pvpers who don't think twice about who they kill. I don't see more than 10% of people on Herocraft being "good" aligned in those terms. Then, killing each other makes them all good aligned? I'm just not seeing mechanical vvalue for preventing noob-killing. It just sounds like another excuse for people to silence others who's opinions differ when it comes to what's enjoyable on this game.

Why do people kill low level players? Any number of reason, not the least of which is because they can, but this in itself is not the problem. I fully expect to be killed on this server. I am okay with this fact, as I know it's a pvp-oriented server. I do not expect to be the target of frequent harassment. Frankly, some of the things people get away with on this server astound me, and the fact that the mods don't/can't do anything about it, on account of the rules actually supporting the behavior, shocks me more. There's a difference between allowing free-reign pvp and endorsing cyber/internet bullying. It's not the pvp and the killing of little digital avatars that force cause problems, it's the way it's gone about. If nothing else, the server suffers in that some players actually push away new players from the server. Less potential supporters, less voters, lower retention rates, etc.

I don't need a fair fight in open-world pvp. I need for people to act in a civil manner. It's not uncommon for there to be rules against bullying in mmo games, especially smaller ones with (supposedly) tight-knit communities. Advertising other servers quickly results in a ban. Why? Because it's an attempt to get people from the server to go to a different server. Intentionally trying to force people off the server with bullying and harassment is any different? "You may as well quit the server now" is something mods and admins want their players telling other players?

The general definition of hardcore on this server applies only when you are below level 40. Beyond that, it becomes your job to make the game "hardcore" for those people still below level 40. Yes, an exaggeration, but one not far from the truth. Again: I die; I get pvp'd; I get robbed; I don't complain. I am perfectly happy with hardcore gameplay. I am not happy with the overall attitude of player on the server and the constant verbal abuse and in-game harassment that passes for legal, 'hardcore' gameplay.

Interaction with player on this server is a joke. Happening upon another player in the open-world goes down in one of three ways: I win initiative and log off before I'm killed, they win initiative and flee/log off before they think I am going to kill them, or they win initiative and attack me, usually resulting in my death. Again, I couldn't care less that I've been killed (no more than I care about dying in other games), but the total lack of interactiong is pretty depressing, but perpetuated by the state of the server. Towns do little to mitigate these problems. Sure, you can safely chat with your townies (until the raiders come anyway), but glob-forbid you pass within an extended-proximity of any town you aren't apart of. Neutral, good, or evil, you'll be attacked or at best avoided like the plague. The only interaction I have with my fellow players is here on the forums and occationally chatting in spawn.

This is the go-to response of pvp-supporters who've nothing worthwhile left to say about a subject they have only one opinion on. Theoretically, since pvp is supposed to be only a part of the server, even 50%, there should be just as many ways to not-pvp as there are to be pvp'd, and it should be just as easy. But as soon as anyone mentions anything counter-productive to pvpers, they're flamed all to hell and back again with redundant comments about how we're just noobs that should gtfo if we don't like it. Sounds a lot like 50% to me. /sarcasm

The most common excuse is that "that's how they have fun." Ganking people who can't defend themselves may be how some of the more crude players get their giggles, but the frequent problem is that "that's not how everyone has fun." But, that doesn't matter. The general consensus is that anyone who doesn't enjoy pvp is a whiny baby who needs to stfu and gtfo or learn to play living like a rat. Doesn't sound very balanced to me.

Just to note, I love it when you comment and take interest in different arguement, Kainzo.

My problem with your second paragraph is that I don't think it is being accomplished. We have no choice when it comes to how we play. We are either engage in pvp, or we may go through a very specific procedure to playing to make sure we don't. I am very, very hopefuly for the karma system, but I am still very unsure that it will do much to alleviate the problems.

This^

Either way in this scenario, I am not playing the game, and definitely not in the way I wish to play it. At the expense of me enjoying the game, someone else is getting their kicks. Do I do things that prevent others from enjoying their time on this server? By logging out and not letting them kill me, am I depriving them of their fun for the day? This is the overall root of te problem when it comes to ganking--er, I mean pvp.

Don't get me wrong, I fully respect pvpers who engage in pvp with people they can actually be challenged by, but I hardly respect your pvp score or kill streak when your name pops up in the chat window several times for knocking off the same lv11 crafter. Top 5 PVPers are the top 5 gankers for the day.

And none of that even touches on the cyberbullying that goes down here. I love this server, and the plugins it uses. I love the (few) people I've met on here who are decent people I can call friends. Almost everyone else I've met seems to have a desire to do everything in their power to make me want to leave the server. I've even been told this point-blank. And the icing is that I can't do jack about it.

A class that makes you pvp-immune may not solve all the problems, and may introduce new ones all at once, but it's a step away from forcing everyone to play the game the way "50%" the server wants them to.
Well, just so u know, I have been beaten by carrot to death, too. I am saying try to gear ur self with skills to avoid or fight them.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
Well, just so u know, I have been beaten by carrot to death, too. I am saying try to gear ur self with skills to avoid or fight them.
I know. It was your death-by-produce I was referring to xD
I realize things get better when you get higher level and actually have the class skills to be capable of potentially defending yourself. It doesn't change the way people act/behave and treat others on the server.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
XenZan The fun thing is that having this class won't stop the abuse from 'hardcore' players. Let's say you're walking around in the wild PvP-proof. A ganker pops up, hits you, finds out he can't. Cue the whining, the insults about you being a sissy. Maybe trap you in obsidian. Set you on fire using flint and steel. Lure mobs towards you. Breaks your structures before you can claim them, which is technically not griefing. Mutilate the ground you're walking on to cause you to fall. Place lava before you.

And you can't do a thing about it since you're locked from PvP.

Again, I don't know the specifics of the karma system, but I would really like to take a good hard long look at the list of rewards and punishments it doles out.

XenZan

Legacy Supporter 4
kirinelf I am no stranger to that kind of abuse either. Pre-level10 I was dug to my death by 'hardcore' players with their efficiency-diamond picks just taking out the floor beneath my feet, burned alive by flint and steel, and even recently was encased in obsidian. I realize it won't stop them, but as I said, it's a step in a better direction. Not like being able to pvp would have helped me in any of those situations (and will likely be more-or-less ineffective for me in the future too).

If the Karma system is being dubbed the intended solution for this kind of activity, I agree that the repercussions and benefits would be nice to see (though it's not like knowing beforehand will change much anyway). I wish I had a better understanding of how it was supposed to work too.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
The fun thing is that having this class won't stop the abuse from 'hardcore' players. ...
Cue the whining, the insults about you being a sissy. Maybe trap you in obsidian. Set you on fire using flint and steel. Lure mobs towards you. Breaks your structures before you can claim them, which is technically not griefing. Mutilate the ground you're walking on to cause you to fall. Place lava before you.

And you can't do a thing about it since you're locked from PvP.
How is this fun? How is this more fun than relying on community alliances for safety rather than forcing players to Grief you?!? Join a team!

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
How is this fun? How is this more fun than relying on community alliances for safety rather than forcing players to Grief you?!? Join a team!
It isn't. Keep in mind what exactly is forcing us to propose such a suggestion in the first place: Cyber bullying/ganking. Any decent PvP player will hit us, find us invincible, then go off. They're not being FORCED to grief us. Likewise, they're not being FORCED to camp us or to gank us, yet they are. They're simply doing it for fun. Someone whose idea of 'fun' means making other people miserable is someone I won't get along with.

Joining a team might be easy for some people, but it isn't for me since again, I like to make sure of my housemates before I live with them. I wouldn't want to live with the kind of people who would do the exact things I hate.

It's all very well to say things like 'community alliances' and stuff like that. It's another thing for those people to agree in the first place, as well as the possibility of those people betraying you. Joining a town is an easy thing, but I don't want to join, find out the residents are a bunch of murdering assholes, then leave and have them pissed at me. I have a hard time trusting people on this server. Can you blame me, with the things you support and handwave with the word 'hardcore'?

I was actually in game earlier trying to ask people about towns but I was lagging horribly (Takes about ten seconds for a door to open after right clicking it) so I gave up for today. xD

thomasyeung9999 I've heard of Newerth, and actually talked to xexorian ingame. One reason I'm a little reluctant at the moment is because it's a Neutral town, not a Good one I was hoping for. I haven't completely written it off, just considering all my options at the moment.

robertlim1

Stone
Zzzz.....after reading this wall of text I am having second thoughts about joining this server........

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Zzzz.....after reading this wall of text I am having second thoughts about joining this server........
Why? This is the suggestion forum, it has nothing to do with the way in game works, and if the whole camping and gankers is what bothers you, do exactly what people are saying, join a town/group, go really far away and most of all: Try to stay unnoticed, if no one knows who you are, then many people wont be after you (This doesnt mean dont talk, dont be friendly, i mean it more as: Dont get know as someone who is worth raiding. Be that guy who appears in chat now and then but isnt always talking about how many mobs he just killed)

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8

I'm upset that everyone is reading my post as though I support those who are doing this kind of behavior. I agree that there are a number of people who are using it as an outlet to have power over others and grief them. I understand the frustration, I was angry too at the start of last map, when leftovers5 tracked me and my brother down and killed me as a new player. I got over it, not by becoming a better pvper that map, but by building my own base far away, and eventually joining a town. Now he's my king, and pretty good friend of mine. If I still lived off in that underground base of mine, and didn't have to interact with anyone, I might as well be playing singleplayer. The one good thing about left being a noob killer was that it was how he recruited new players. You teach them how to level, let them become part of the community, and teach them that dying isn't that big of a deal.

I'm not a pvper, I focus on my builds most of the time, or running upkeep on my town, or just derping around with my townies. I do pvp though, prolly about 30% of the time, and I know how to lead raids, and I've been in the top 5 pvp before. I do my best not to kill new players, unless they hit me first, and then I kill them and gtp them back to their stuff with the reminder not to attack people they can't kill. I learned how to defend myself, but I don't focus on pvp. It's the wide variety of things I can do on this map is what makes me so into this server.

I especially don't think that kirinelf's solution is the answer, I think it will make the problem worse. It divides the server into two groups who are playing different games, and might as well be playing on a different server. You can't even pve with this suggestion, it forces new players to not be able to take part in the upcoming dungeons or DoDs, just because we have people who camp new players. If we provide disincentives to killing underleveled players, and incentives to killing players of your own level, we can make pvp less focused on new player killing. In my experience most pvpers are more interested in fighting harder fights, but it's harder to find them, and killing new players is easy.

While the attitude on herocraft is not particularly new player friendly, having the mods and admins chase down every little incident of he killed me too many times, or out of nowhere is definitely not the solution. We can help show what kind of behavior we want with the Karma system, without banning pvp.

Also there's a difference between cyberbullying and ganking. Finding someone in the wild, or tracking them down once and killing them is ganking, and normal pvp. Doing that repeatedly, or being abusive with language or destroying someone's stuff maliciously is cyberbullying. Killing someone once doesn't make you a bully.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
As long as you like PvP, you're welcome here. =D If you don't like PvP, take minimike96 's advice and keep as low a profile as you possibly can. Joining a town is one of the safer things you can do, even though it's not 100% safe.

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
northeaster345

I don't see how people in this new class of mine would be unable to do dungeons. I'm simply cutting them out of PvP completely. They can still trade (influence the economy), RP (interact with the community), mine for resources (providing resources to both their town and the economy in general) and kill mobs (self defense, resources). The only thing they can't do is kill or be killed by other players through direct means (I've listed ways of killing PvP-proof players in my post above). They are not invincible. It'll be like playing on a server with PvP turned off for that particular person. A well designed dungeon with mobs, fire traps, bottomless pits etc should be as fun for a non-PvP class as it is for a PvP class. I don't see any way a non-PvP class can't PvE.

Not too sure what DoD is, but. xD

I understand that it might seem harsh to lump everyone into it, but the whole, general attitude of the server towards bullying is 'deal with it'. Look through the thread. Heck, look at your own posts. You 'dealt with it', didn't you? My point is that we shouldn't need to 'deal with it' simply because people are abusing the 'hardcore' theme of the server to have fun at other people's expense.

As I've stated several times in the thread, I have nothing against PvP in general. It's just that PvP is the most direct and effective way of griefing someone, hence my focus on it. Griefing is bannable. Why not bullying? A little teasing is fine, but when you have people outright swearing to make your life on the server a complete hell, 'never going to let you have any fun on this server', 'hunt you forever', in real life cops tend to get involved. Yet you take screenies to mods and they go, "Well, nothing in the rules against that. Good luck buddy."

Again, my judgement on the karma system is reserved until I actually see the list of rewards and punishments for karma. If the punishments are more or less getting a slap on the wrist and an affectionate 'you bad boy you', well. I guess the server just isn't right for me.

Kainzo mentioned in his post that we should have a choice about how we play. There isn't. And that's what this thread was created for.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
northeaster345

I don't see how people in this new class of mine would be unable to do dungeons. I'm simply cutting them out of PvP completely. They can still trade (influence the economy), RP (interact with the community), mine for resources (providing resources to both their town and the economy in general) and kill mobs (self defense, resources). The only thing they can't do is kill or be killed by other players through direct means (I've listed ways of killing PvP-proof players in my post above). They are not invincible. It'll be like playing on a server with PvP turned off for that particular person. A well designed dungeon with mobs, fire traps, bottomless pits etc should be as fun for a non-PvP class as it is for a PvP class. I don't see any way a non-PvP class can't PvE.

Not too sure what DoD is, but. xD

I understand that it might seem harsh to lump everyone into it, but the whole, general attitude of the server towards bullying is 'deal with it'. Look through the thread. Heck, look at your own posts. You 'dealt with it', didn't you? My point is that we shouldn't need to 'deal with it' simply because people are abusing the 'hardcore' theme of the server to have fun at other people's expense.

As I've stated several times in the thread, I have nothing against PvP in general. It's just that PvP is the most direct and effective way of griefing someone, hence my focus on it. Griefing is bannable. Why not bullying? A little teasing is fine, but when you have people outright swearing to make your life on the server a complete hell, 'never going to let you have any fun on this server', 'hunt you forever', in real life cops tend to get involved. Yet you take screenies to mods and they go, "Well, nothing in the rules against that. Good luck buddy."

Again, my judgement on the karma system is reserved until I actually see the list of rewards and punishments for karma. If the punishments are more or less getting a slap on the wrist and an affectionate 'you bad boy you', well. I guess the server just isn't right for me.

Kainzo mentioned in his post that we should have a choice about how we play. There isn't.

You don't get to the real experience of classes and how much fun they can be with your system. You don't get to see how cool it is to call down a megabolt on a horde of zombies. You're not really pve ing if you give a neutered pvp-free class to someone. You're limiting their experience

I didn't say deal with it. I think there's an issue, I dealt with it personally but on the larger scale, I think that Karma will provide a better way to deal with bullying. It gives disincentives for people who kill new players, without causing a ton of grief for the staff, and without cutting the server in half

EDIT: There's also the whole host of abusable issues you can get with a pvp free class. You can run into the middle of a fight, and pickup people's items, cover death chests with dirt, break blocks under pvpers in your town where they can't do anything to you, and make them fall to their deaths. You can place lava on people in your town, where they can't do anything to prevent you.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Kainzo mentioned in his post that we should have a choice about how we play. There isn't. And that's what this thread was created for.
The choice at how you play is often shaped by what town you're in. You have the capability to make that decision. I'm sure people have said this before in this thread (I haven't had the time to read everything, I only did a survey of key posts), but towns truly do open up your playstyle options immensely. Even if you don't live at the town, and some towns don't even require you too, allies at the ready are essential if you prefer building.

Nightroado is a great example of a builder that created great things despite being often vulnerable to attack. There is a risk you have to take when being a "pacifist".

kirinelf

A frightening Cactus!
You don't get to the real experience of classes and how much fun they can be with your system. You don't get to see how cool it is to call down a megabolt on a horde of zombies. You're not really pve ing if you give a neutered pvp-free class to someone. You're limiting their experience

I didn't say deal with it. I think there's an issue, I dealt with it personally but on the larger scale, I think that Karma will provide a better way to deal with bullying. It gives disincentives for people who kill new players, without causing a ton of grief for the staff, and without cutting the server in half
This is true. I really, REALLY enjoy the Heroes plugin. The classes are nicely made, fairly balanced, and any imbalances are discovered and righted quickly. There's a wide variety, with a reasonable cost for switching. The entire system is great, and is one of the main reasons I'm still here.

But if the price of using these features is to suffer, if I'm being punished because I'm not as good as the others, I'm willing to give it up. 'Cause there's no way I can have fun if I'm not allowed to by those with more power than I.

As of the moment, I'm willing to suspend all talk of removing PvP until the karma system comes out and I can see for myself the impact it will have on the server. Of course, that will be a LONG while. According to the timer it'll be almost a month before the new level cap and class revamps hit. Who knows how long after THAT the Karma system will take to come. The question then is how long I can hold out on this server without ragequitting. xD

Edit: leftovers posted while I was writing up my post. xD I should really start hitting refresh before posting.

The choice at how you play is often shaped by what town you're in. You have the capability to make that decision. I'm sure people have said this before in this thread (I haven't had the time to read everything, I only did a survey of key posts), but towns truly do open up your playstyle options immensely. Even if you don't live at the town, and some towns don't even require you too, allies at the ready are essential if you prefer building.

Nightroado is a great example of a builder that created great things despite being often vulnerable to attack. There is a risk you have to take when being a "pacifist".
I've mentioned that I've been looking for a town. I just haven't quite found one that meets my standards yet. You could say that that's my choice, if you will. xD