• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Change Combat Logging Terms

maxmaxm

Wood
Combat logging is a huge problem on most large servers, and Herocraft is no different. Recently, I discovered that the combat tag system is not entirely effective. For example, the combat tag is extremely short, and for classes with high enough mobility, they can easily escape a fight by running a few blocks ahead, and logging off quickly subsequent to the running out of the combat tag.

Many of you do not see this as a problem, but rather a strategy. In any game, is quitting a strategy? I have never played a game in which quitting gives you an advantage over other players, but Minecraft is different. Everything is Minecraft is based on time. There is a small aspect of skill involved in PvP, but most often the player with the most time commitment will win the fight. This happens with both Vanilla PvP and Heroes PvP. In vanilla, the player with the higher enchants and diamond armor will always triumph over a player dressed in iron. In Heroes PvP, the player who is a higher combat level, and has spent more time training in order to access more skills will most likely kill any other low-leveled player. When a player is hopelessly outmatched against his enemy, should he be allowed to log out to avoid combat which would otherwise be inevitable?

If a player knows he is outmatched, there are many other things he can do to avoid combat, rather than just quitting. He could dig down into the ground, and hide until the enemy gives up, or pillar up into the sky, where he will be able to knock his opponents down to the ground. Unfortunately, quitting is the easy alternative, and with no punishment for it, it is all too common.

Another reason changing combat tag terms is to increase the efficiency of the only ranged weapon in Minecraft, the bow. The bow implements a nice level of skill into the game, but due to it's far range, it is not capable of sustained, regular damage. Without being able to sustain this damage, the player who is being shot at can hide, wait for his combat tag to wear off, and log out.

Overall, logging out to avoid combat that is INEVITABLE should not be allowed. If being attacked, the defending player can use a variety of techniques rather than just leaving the game to become safe.

-This post is still in progress, will be updated as need be. -

maxmaxm

Wood
Fixed - And regarding the length of the timer, it is not that that creates issues, it is the lack of a rule that would stop players from logging out to avoid combat that has not been initiated for the duration of the 10 seconds.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Fixed - And regarding the length of the timer, it is not that that creates issues, it is the lack of a rule that would stop players from logging out to avoid combat that has not been initiated for the duration of the 10 seconds.
I don't understand what you are saying.

If a user logs out and is tagged in combat (pvp) they will die upon logging back in. So either way, they die. Now granted, there may be better ways around this - if they manage to escape the combat timer and log out safely, that's because you haven't kept them tagged in combat ;)

maxmaxm

Wood
I'll give a specific example then. I was heading over to someone's town to fool around, and managed to scale their walls. There was a player inside, and I began to approach him from behind. I had almost covered the distance between him and myself, and he suddenly turned around, and I sprinted at him. As I was about to hit him, he logged out. This shouldn't be allowed because the combat was inevitable (he would have been hit no matter what he did).

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
I'll give a specific example then. I was heading over to someone's town to fool around, and managed to scale their walls. There was a player inside, and I began to approach him from behind. I had almost covered the distance between him and myself, and he suddenly turned around, and I sprinted at him. As I was about to hit him, he logged out. This shouldn't be allowed because the combat was inevitable (he would have been hit no matter what he did).
There is not really any way to prevent that, unless you want people to die when they log off near someone..

Edit: Nvm, it should be doable to code a logout timer - but yet again, the amount of cons are much greater than the perks.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Log out timers are NOT possible in the code. If the client wants to exit - it will exit. You can create an NPC among other things, but we arent looking to weigh down the code like this.
There is nothing that will stop this in Herocraft or any other server. We aren't going to have an NPC spawn while the player isn't in combat, nor are we going to check if a player is near another player to see if they can log out instantly.
Want to keep him from logging out / surviving? HIT HIM.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
What's so bad about people logging off before they engage in combat? If people don't want to PvP, so be it? Your only arguement in /ch o today was that the current system isn't ''Hardcore'', which is a very weak arguement because the term ''Hardcore'' covers a wide variety of things, not just PvP.

If you didn't want them to log off, then you should have sneaked up on them instead. As for using skills to escape a sneak attack, that is what they are for anyway. :confused:

In the long run it doesn't matter, just wait for them to return. Forcing players to PvP is just silly. If it was made illegal to log off when you see someone chasing you, then consider how much time mods/admins would have to spend sorting out petitions regarding people avoiding PvP.

maxmaxm

Wood
Your argument in chat today was even worse. You slung multiple insults at me, as if that's the way to show your opinion. Never, under any circumstance, should you insult someone because they are voicing their opinion. It isn't right.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Your argument in chat today was even worse. You slung multiple insults at me, as if that's the way to show your opinion. Never, under any circumstance, should you insult someone because they are voicing their opinion. It isn't right.

When did I insult you?

What I have writen on this thread is the same as what I said in-game...

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
Fyi, Herocraft is not a hardcore 'pvp' server, and it will never be one.

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
Ugh.... Even if they do log off before you hit them. Wait 5 mins if you REALLY want to kill them. I'm sure they will log in again soon!!