• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Beguiler Changes

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
This thread was inspired by @jazza411 's thread about Beguiler. I felt that the changes I am suggesting need their own thread, because I have a load of things I would like to say about Beguiler.

Beguiler, as hard as it is to believe, is intended to be a support class. However, with such high damage, cc, and AoE, it seems to have lost the role. I would love to see this class become more of a support, and not as much a slam your face into the keyboard and win. I liked the route that Pyromancer took, requiring skillshots to play the skill well. Me, playing bard, can die to a beguiler if they see me first, and I can hardly do anything to them. I have 5 seconds of silence, a speed boost, and a slow, and I have lots of trouble fighting this class 1v1. Why exactly?

I don't believe Beguiler takes any skill to play. If you see someone in the world, you open up with a piggify. While they are stunned, you toss up a plaguebomb, and fireball just before it hits the ground, making an insane combo for maybe... 375 damage? Having any agility adds to the kiting aspect of this class, while you wait a grand total of 10 seconds for plaguebomb and fireball to be off cooldown. Oh, they are about to catch up to you? Well, either you can turn around and fireball them to throw them off a bit, you can beguile them, or you can masspiggify, to have them stunned again. The combos for the class are simple. I wish that all classes would take skill to play. Unfortunately, in this case that doesn't apply.

With high levels of intellect, some wisdom, and a balance of agility, endurance, and constitution, this class can kill any class 1v1. When I say any class, I mean any class. At the moment, there is no direct counter to beguiler right now. So what exactly am I trying to get at? At the moment, I find the class to be overpowered. I want beguiler to be switched to a unique playstyle; a class that requires skill to play, and can amass to great value when played correctly. So, here are some thoughts I have about the class at the moment.

Plaguebomb needs a bit longer cooldown. The damage the class can produce right now is crazy. Having this at a higher cooldown will help with the insane burst of Beguiler.

Fireball appears to be doing too much damage. Yes, I know what you are thinking; fireball. It is one of the classes strong damage abilities, and it is doing crazy amounts of damage. When someone is on a pig, landing the plaguebomb fireball combo isn't hard at all.

I was playing around with Beguiler on the test server. The class is simple to play. I haven't played the class in a while, and I was missing a few plaguebombs. I STILL killed majority of the people I fought. The only way I would die, is either through someone ganking me while I was low, or dying in an unfair fight (2v1).

So, my goal is to try and make this class more "support" like. Here are my ideas:

I would like to rework how this class plays. I would love to see changes to beguiler that change it's overall playstyle. While some may say
"Why not just nerf the class, why remake it?" I think that beguiler should have something new. The class has had the same abilities for a while. While in it's current state the class appears to be too strong, why not take this opportunity to change around the class? So, without further adieu; my Beguiler rework:

Beguiler: A cunning sorcerer who revolves around trickery and magic abilities to aid allies, and harm foes.

Base HP: 775 (+5 per point of Constitution)
Base Mana: 850 (+10 per point of Intellect)
Base Mana Regen: 35 (+1 per point of Wisdom)
Base Armour Weight: 25 (+0.50 per point of Endurance)
Base Movement Speed: 98% (+ 0.3% per point of Agility)

What I am thinking for skills:

Piggify: You force all targets within 4 blocks to ride a pig, stunning them for 1 second (+0.25 per point of Charisma).
Mana cost: 215 mana
Cooldown: 45 seconds
Shock: You send a bolt of lightning down at the targeted area, dealing 85 damage to all targets within 5 blocks, and slowing the targets hit for 2 seconds. (Slowness III)
Mana cost: 115 mana
Cooldown: 7 seconds
I see this skill being made sort of like fireblast - you need to aim it as opposed to targeting people with it.

Feigndeath: Same skill as Necromancer has, same mana cost, and same cooldown.

Ink: You fire off a squid (same projectile speed as darkbolt) into the targeted area, dealing 30 damage and blinding all targets within 5 blocks of the landing location for 1 second (+0.1 per point of Charisma)
Mana cost: 100 mana.
Cooldown: 20 seconds

Quantumleap: Same skill as it is now, same mana cost.
Cooldown: 25 seconds

Plaguebomb: You fire off an explosive sheep that explodes on impact, dealing 175 damage +(0.75 damage per point of Intellect)
Mana cost: 220
Cooldown: 13 seconds

Wisdom: All allies within 12 blocks restore mana 10% faster for 3 minutes. +(0.15% per point of Charisma)
Mana cost: 75
Cooldown: 1 minute

Might: You grant all allies within 12 blocks a spell of might, increasing all damage done by any abilities by 10% for 3 minutes.
+(0.3% per point of Charisma).
Scan: Scan is scan. Nothing special

Batfury: You summon a colony of bats around your target, hitting as well as poisoning them, and any target within 5 blocks for 10 damage over 5 seconds. +(0.5 damage per point of Inellect)
Mana cost: 165
Cooldown: 30 seconds

Flicker: You appear in and out of sight for 5 seconds. +(0.25 per point of Charisma)
Cooldown: 45 seconds

Teleport: You teleport to a party member, bringing you to their exact location
Mana cost: 600 mana
Cooldown: 15 Minutes

The levels at which you would get these skills:
1: Shock
1:Scan
10: Piggify
20:Wisdom
25:Might
30: Plaguebomb
35:Batfury
42:Quantumleap
45:Teleport
50:Ink
55:Feigndeath
65: Flicker

So everyone, these are my current thoughts and ideas on Beguiler. This post was sort of spontaneous, as I was thinking about ideas as I was writing them down. Please leave feedback on the ideas presented.
-Pew
EDIT: Fixed a few typos, added in teleport as a skill for level 45 Beguilers.

Last edited:

monkeyfatzer

Legacy Supporter 3
In my opinion a couple of classes can beat beguiler, I can agree it is a little too strong at the moment, but totally changing their skill set is not the way to go here. I would say tweaking some of their abilites damages/costs would be the way to go. Piggify/plague bomb/pulse/fireball combo does shit tons of damage and disables you for a bit, having 3 disabling abilites on a class that does amazing aoe burst damage isn't right.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
In my opinion a couple of classes can beat beguiler, I can agree it is a little too strong at the moment, but totally changing their skill set is not the way to go here. I would say tweaking some of their abilites damages/costs would be the way to go. Piggify/plague bomb/pulse/fireball combo does shit tons of damage and disables you for a bit, having 3 disabling abilites on a class that does amazing aoe burst damage isn't right.
The class has hardly changed in a long period of time. At the moment, Beguiler is too strong. As I mentioned in my post, why not take advantage of this to change around the class a bit? The playstyle is just so repetitive. Change isn't necessarily a bad thing. While at first glance, a new skill set may seem odd, in the end it may help out the class.

Glacial_Reign

Portal
If Beguilers where to change like this I feel they need GTP to top it off and make it a all round group PvP class.
They have a teleport they dont need a gtp.

I like this setup just add teleport and maybe mass piggify and im on board. I really like this class not bc its op its just one of the truly fun classes to play and Id like a new change to it.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
They have a teleport they dont need a gtp.

I like this setup just add teleport and maybe mass piggify and im on board. I really like this class not bc its op its just one of the truly fun classes to play and Id like a new change to it.
I don't know if you noticed, but in this rework, piggify is masspiggify. The reason for this because I think beguiler should have to get into the fight more and sacrifice some hp potentially to get their stun off, as opposed from solo targeting someone from a medium distance away.
I will add Teleport into the skills.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
If i recall right, Beguiler is supposed to be more of a support Mage class, so I do believe that it does need some changes. I don't think tweaking some of the damage on skills is going to change whether they are more supporty or not

I really love this suggestion pew, it will make beguiler even more fun to play, instead of doing the same exact combo every single time.

Glacial_Reign

Portal
I don't know if you noticed, but in this rework, piggify is masspiggify. The reason for this because I think beguiler should have to get into the fight more and sacrifice some hp potentially to get their stun off, as opposed from solo targeting someone from a medium distance away.
I will add Teleport into the skills.
I approve of pewpews rebuild of beguiler. It would be a blast.

Someone suggested beguiler would get a skill like blizzard but instead of snow balls they would be eggs. Id think that would be cool also.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I suggested this to a person who will not be named just 3 days ago; Beguiler getting a skill that removes someone from their party for x amount of seconds.

Think about it, you're in a team fight and a Beguiler removes you from your current party for a period of time. If you're a healer then you'll be healing nobody but yourself. If you're a Ninja slashing away at everything that moves you're bound to accidentally backstab a couple of your teammates. Furthermore, you're in danger of friendly fire yourself. Beguilers are masters of trickery, and removing someone from their party seems fitting.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
I suggested this to a person who will not be named just 3 days ago; Beguiler getting a skill that removes someone from their party for x amount of seconds.

Think about it, you're in a team fight and a Beguiler removes you from your current party for a period of time. If you're a healer then you'll be healing nobody but yourself. If you're a Ninja slashing away at everything that moves you're bound to accidentally backstab a couple of your teammates. Furthermore, you're in danger of friendly fire yourself. Beguilers are masters of trickery, and removing someone from their party seems fitting.
Hmm... I don't know how I feel about this. It seems good on paper, but imagine the potential. You're in a teamfight, and you remove a squishy from their team comp. The squishy is immediately thrown around by AoEs from not only the enemy team, but your team. Imagine someone taking 5 plaguebombs to the face from 2 different teams. Seems a bit overpowered.

Mustardmanmcgee

Legacy Supporter 3
Problem with that is then beguiles would end up getting a reputation of backstabbers, this begins to disrupt his potential "Usefulness" as a possible group support class.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Hmm... I don't know how I feel about this. It seems good on paper, but imagine the potential. You're in a teamfight, and you remove a squishy from their team comp. The squishy is immediately thrown around by AoEs from not only the enemy team, but your team. Imagine someone taking 5 plaguebombs to the face from 2 different teams. Seems a bit overpowered.
Long cooldown/short duration. Can be increased through Charisma.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Problem with that is then beguiles would end up getting a reputation of backstabbers, this begins to disrupt his potential "Usefulness" as a possible group support class.
I think you read it wrong. The Beguiler won't be removing a player from his own party, but rather a player from another party.

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
I still strongly believe Beguilers need new skills because the combo is so repetitive and boring as it is.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
I think you read it wrong. The Beguiler won't be removing a player from his own party, but rather a player from another party.
I dunno, it would be a hard counter to a lot of team comps (any class with aoe damage or heals) while at the same time being counterable by non-skill means (just keep a bind to accept party invite). It would screw things up if you kicked the leader of a party out of a party. I think it would get old very quickly.

My main concern is it would be using a mechanic that isn't really part of combat, i.e. whether or not someone is in a party by joining or leaving.

northeaster345

Legacy Supporter 8
Might: You grant all allies within 12 blocks a spell of might, increasing all damage done by any abilities by 10% for 3 minutes.
+(0.3% per point of Charisma).

If you want to Might to affect abilities rather than physical dmg, I'd call it something other than Might.
Not that I disagree, it kind of makes sense for a support magic class to boost magic/ability damage

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Anything that changes beguiler from a face-rolling damage class to a support class, (Like it is supposed to be!) is a good idea in my books.