• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[Banning] A possible Alternative

Chaz8591

Legacy Supporter 5
So here I am reading the Forums and I see a lot of bans happening. I understand that this is your server and your say so, But I also thought of another possible solution. Maybe a possibility is to create a jail that the player is sent to if a player commits a minor deviation to the rule set, or possibly didn't understand the rules because of conflicts within the rules themselves.

Somehow you would have to disable /spawn inside of the jail and, of course, block protect it. But inside of said jail you can have signs with all the names of donors on it. In order to get out they must answer a question, or number of question before they are released (e.g. What is the name of a donor With four letters and four numbers in their name, Starts with C.)

That way they actually have to look over all the signs (A long process) Before they are released. And there are only so many times they are sent to ail before banned (I'm thinking 2 at max.)

Anyways, Just an Idea I wanted to throw out there.

Angusward

Gold
Chaz8591 said:
OR an Obby farm.
I like that. Make an obby chunk from top to bottom of the map, give them a diamond pick and let them out when they have 3 stacks of obby.

Chaz8591

Legacy Supporter 5
Angusward said:
Chaz8591 said:
OR an Obby farm.
I like that. Make an obby chunk from top to bottom of the map, give them a diamond pick and let them out when they have 3 stacks of obby.

And then the Obby get's donated to the town or individual that was victimized.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
I had an idea of punishing players instead of banning e.g. making them work for free. If a town needs something done by sheer force (leveling a mountain etc.) then we could say "here's your guy, instead of a ban he'll have to help you as his punishment" but there are two problems with this:
1) would you really trust someone's work who can't behave as he should do?
2) players would just disconnect instead of doing very long, possibly repetitive tasks - basically in-game work. Any other kind of punishment (freezing their money so they can't buy stuff etc.) will alienate these people as well and make the quit for good.

Plus staff needs to monitor, and spend some extra time with them. That's like punishing them as well and taking away their time to look into other queries. Same cons apply to your idea.

Of course there are players who'd do this to be able to get back playing normally ASAP but those few wouldn't even break the rules and staff could see reason in them before banning or punishing anyway.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
The large amounts of bans shows how many good players there must be signing up as well. Every time I log in a see another dozen names I don't recognize and that is a lot of people.

So, we don't need the ones who don't bother to read the rules or do stupid things at all, we just need the good players who will follow the rules and make the server more interesting and diverse.

However, maybe for the lesser, smaller rule breaking this could be a possible option if the admins and mods want to keep all the people without common sense?

I like the obsidian farm btw lol. But I think that most things would make them just leave and find another big server, im sure there are a couple as good as this one. Still a good idea though, just need the right punishment.

wolfgang does have som what of a good point this server always has new people but also there r some people that r getting banned for no reason example: NuclearKitten something needs to b thought of a new way maybe not just tp to the person and hit the ban hammer

Nuin

Legacy Supporter 5
I liked the classic server I used to play on before I joined Herocraft back in October. We had a jail near spawn that was made of adminium, with small glass windows so people could come and laugh at them. While being demoted to "jailed", they could not use any command, including /spawn. This kept people from getting out.

I would like to see this implemented. I would rather /jail <player> than have to ban. Ban to me is equivalent to a permaban, with no appeal whatsoever.

/jail <player>

- disables all commands for that player (/spawn, spells, etc.)
- mutes the player in such a fashion that they can only use /msg
- sends them to a Sanctum jail, where they must spend time depending on the offense
- PvP in the jail is disabled, healing enabled (to prevent prisoners from PvPing each other)
- a large glass window so that they are on display for others
- the mod/admin that jailed them should put up a sign on a wall nearby to note the name, date of infraction, jail duration

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
And those players never got fed up and left the server or disconnected? I read about adminium "prisons" but for newcomers in this fashion:
@@@@@@@@@@@@
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
@@@@@@@@@@@@
Where @ is adminium and X is air (so they can't get out but everyone can see them). Rules were posted on signs inside the walls and mods had to question them before letting out anybody (using tphere).

Nuin said:
Ban to me is equivalent to a permaban, with no appeal whatsoever.
Been a mod for several clans and communities and we mostly treated bans as permabans - only unbanning people if there was a mistake.
But we also had to use temp bans for fast action games where obviously no written rules are set e.g. Counter-Strike or UT but people can still instantly reconnect after being kicked (you can't do this in an RTS game for example).

I think a timeout command would help a lot and lessen the confusion for both the player and the Herocraft staff. For example:
/tempban PLAYERNAME X REASON would timeout the player for X hours but would automatically unban him/her when this time is off.

DagothAgahnim

Legacy Supporter 5
I like the idea of /tempban for lesser infractions.

Here's the thing, yes there are alot of bans sometimes, but honestly they bring it on themselves. We're a busy server, one of the busiest, and our rules are CLEARLY stated, and we state on our website, our forums, the SMP thread, AND in the Spawn Tower, ALL of our rules, AND the fact that you MUST read them all and you are bound to them whether you read them or not.

If you have doubts, favor the side of caution and ask (town PKers, I'm looking at you)

Now, I've banned alot of people, most of them were perma-bans, but I can count 7 people I unbanned off the top of my head from that list for various reasons. Some of those got re-banned by myself or others later because they remained douchebags, or even got douchier, while others who were banned and repealed have become valuable players who have never caused another problem for the staff.

We are a Hardcore server, and we allow certain things like PvP and thieving in the wilderness that other servers would flat ban you for. We don't cater to the lazy, stupid, or douchebags. If you're too lazy to read and obey the rules, gtfo we don't need you. If you break a serious rule due to incompetence or stupidity, gtfo we don't need you, as long as I've been on the server I've heard the staff saying 'Stupidity is no reason to unban' and I agree with it 100%. If you're a douchebag and start griefing people, or blatantly breaking rules for the lol's, GTFO we don't need you.

That being said, don't confuse all pvpers or PKers as 'douchebags', even if some are. They are staying within the rules, and the ones who start to skirt the lines are thumped by the staff and put back in their place. Herocraft needs villians or the server becomes stale and boring. If you don't like it, don't leave town, cower in your house and leave the real fun to the Heroes. It's called HEROcraft for a reason, you either become a Hero, or you become a coward and either leave or get pushed around.

That's my stance on all of this, got a little offtopic maybe. I'd be all for a /tempban command for minor offenses, but IMO if you earn yourself a swift /ban, you probably deserved it, and if you didn't, we'll correct the mistake.

Also, despite the number of bans, we constantly have 40+ online at most times, and (when we're not being held back by an update that our plugins aren't ready for) we are pushing 100+ players most afternoons/nights. That tells me we're doing things the right way.

Allusa

Air
I would favor the idea of the jail system. But how would you go upon catching these individuals? Would hacking be a jailtime, or a ban?

Afro7897

Legacy Supporter 5
I thought of this myself before but I came to the same conclusion dago did or at least thought I would get a similar response to what he gave. I like to think of the strict enforcing of the rules and numerous bans as population control. Tons of people want in on this server but the vast majority don't survive too long which leaves room for others to try their hand at on this server to see if its the place for them. I would rather the opportunity be given to somebody with the potential to be a good player than somebody who has shown them self to be a problematic nuisance.

McGreed

TNT
Well, we can always make it so that public enemies, when they get killed, they end up in the prison instead of spawn, and stay there for a while, and then get out with a 'clean' record. Could be tied into the bounty system. :)

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
Imo that if someone does something that bad that they would now get a ban, they should be banned. With minor issues or when the mods are unsure if the person deserves a ban however, it could be nice with some "punishment" like helping a town level a mountain or something like that.

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Or kill him, loot the corpse then bury his belongins on the other side of the map. Fast and efficient.

(the burying part is optional :icon_twisted:)

boxmana

Wood
I believe a Jail system would be great! No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes if someones had a bad day their mood could cloud their judgment. A jail system(or temp-ban) would allow people to not suffer immensely for their mistake, yet if they continue to make mistakes, then, and only then, should they be perma-banned. The server would get a lot more publicity, and also help teach people to learn from their mistakes. If someone makes 1 mistake, and suffers immense consequences, they are less likely to learn a lot from it then they would if they were punished slightly and warned. Humankind is a race that is famous for making mistakes, so why should one person be condemned if they make one on the server? Now if it is a HUGE mistake like hacking TONS of items in, or using zombe's mod pack(fly mod) all the time, then there should be no warning. But if they use fly mod just once, not for something major, or if they hack some cobble in because they are mad at dieing due to lag, then who's to say they shouldn't be given another chance? I understand your on a no tolerance policy, but a little bit of kind guidance combined with upholding the rules would have a better result then just banning people. But its Kainzo's server, so this is just what I think

1) Last post was in February, but I understand if you want a jail on the new map. A new topic might've been a more appropriate action, though.
2) We don't want people taking up server space while rotting in a jail. We don't have enough room on the server as is. A temp-ban would make much more sense than a jail.

Chaz8591

Legacy Supporter 5
Hm. I did hear something about a jail being added (probably just a rumor). But imagine if you were spawned into a small room that seems to be covered in Obby, but you have no tools. And as you have to spend the time punching through obby you realize that it's actually a maze made out of obby and bedrock. This assures you that the person who cheated spends ingame time in the jail. At the end of the maze you could have a portal back to Zeal.

Regarding the Server caps, perhaps we can tie it in with the multiverse, and host it on another port?

boxmana

Wood
Hm. I did hear something about a jail being added (probably just a rumor). But imagine if you were spawned into a small room that seems to be covered in Obby, but you have no tools. And as you have to spend the time punching through obby you realize that it's actually a maze made out of obby and bedrock. This assures you that the person who cheated spends ingame time in the jail. At the end of the maze you could have a portal back to Zeal.

Regarding the Server caps, perhaps we can tie it in with the multiverse, and host it on another port?

Thats a very good idea on how to implement a jail. Though one thing concerns me. I think if this was implemented, those banned for minor reasons, or mistakes, could be allowed back in. And depending on their time out of the game, they will have to spend some time in the jail

Drastikos

Legacy Supporter 3

Thats a very good idea on how to implement a jail. Though one thing concerns me. I think if this was implemented, those banned for minor reasons, or mistakes, could be allowed back in. And depending on their time out of the game, they will have to spend some time in the jail

Good ideas!

You could make different sections to the prison for different security levels.
Have the higher security level group players in shared cells. That way the can fight amongst themselves too.

Also, you could provide some access to wood and coal.
That way they can make torches, but even better wood swords to kill eachother with. The wood picks won't help much with the obby.