• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Attackabillity versus distance from Spawn

StorminNorman

Legacy Supporter 7
People are gonna PVP; I get that. People love fighting one-sided fights that result in easy victories; also understandable. However, targetting groups of low level players and killing them repeatedly is becoming a deplorable and painfully common theme on Haven. Sitting outside a low level town for HOURS, hurling insults at those who simply want to play the game is unsportsmanlike.

Recently it was suggested that towns should be No PVP zones, but even I like the idea of raiding and pillaging every once in a while. The only logical thing I have come up with as an alternative, and as much as I hate to suggest it, is the way Runescape handled PVP.

For those unfamiliar with it, "The Wilderness" in Runescape had levels to it. The level of wilderness corresponded with the amount of levels you and your opponent were allowed to be able to engage in combat. So in levels 1- 64 wilderness, a level 85 could not attack a level 20. Or in Hero Craft's case, A max level Wizard could not utterly destroy a level 20 Lost Soul.

All of Haven is considered Wilderness with the exception of Spawn and Graveyards. So naturally, Towns built further out from Spawn run the higher risk of being attacked by players of vastly different skill levels.

I believe if implemented, this change would even promote pvp among lower level players and add a little balance to the world.

Potential problems I see with this is instant rejection from those of you who live only to kill low level players to make yourself feel better about your own insecurities in life. Grow up.

In addition to that, an exact block distance to "wilderness level" would need to be established. Past a certain point, pvp should be allowed between all level players. It could go in increments of 1, 5, or 10 to save on message spam, but with 85 as a level cap, 85 levels of wilderness seems superfluous.

Another would be high level players buffing low level players in situations where they are invulnerable from attacks. A lvl 65 Bard going to 10 wilderness and constantly buffing a party of low levels to defeat other low levels would be entertaining, but maybe not a fair advantage. All it would take is the other party bringing their own allies to even things out. It would be interesting.

Messages displaying your current wilderness level could be displayed similliar to when you enter or leave a protection. The hero mod could also be utilized to display wilderness level constantly.

With the addition of pvp objectives this could be problematic unless those zones allowed full level pvp. Naturally, high level players will control the points indefinitely, but I think that's the point of conquest anyway. I'll leave that one alone for now.

So throw some ideas/comments/unintelligent insults at me and tell me what you think.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
People are gonna PVP; I get that. People love fighting one-sided fights that result in easy victories; also understandable. However, targetting groups of low level players and killing them repeatedly is becoming a deplorable and painfully common theme on Haven. Sitting outside a low level town for HOURS, hurling insults at those who simply want to play the game is unsportsmanlike.
You can /ignore people who are generally annoying. If you feel they're breaking chat rules in a public chat, report them ( hc.to/pe ) and there chat privileges might be revoked.
Potential problems I see with this is instant rejection from those of you who live only to kill low level players to make yourself feel better about your own insecurities in life. Grow up.

While I agree killing low levels doesn't require any effort or skill I don't think you should make it personal with insults. Just starts flame wars and weakens your argument.
With the addition of pvp objectives this could be problematic unless those zones allowed full level pvp. Naturally, high level players will control the points indefinitely, but I think that's the point of conquest anyway. I'll leave that one alone for now.
"Naturally high level players"? Makes it sound like certain people join the game already maxed (not sure if that's what you meant but it sounds like it). That's really the idea of them tbh, if you want to use them you should be a high level. Lostsoul wasn't meant for PvP anyway. You can even level in a PvP free zone then go back to haven.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
"Naturally high level players"?

Note the comma. It's not "Naturally high [as opposed to unnaturally] players will dominate points", it's "Of course, high level players will dominate points anyway" in reference to making zones with points PvP to all levels.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
The distance from spawn functions already exist and are already in effect with Mobs.

Several things you would have to iron out before being even able to try to implement.
  1. Invulned players assisting higher level players on their team by soaking up arrows/fireballs.
  2. Invulned players healing/buffing higher level players and collecting gear from dead players.
  3. Invulned players trapping enemy with blocks/contraptions
  4. Invulned players from scouting enemy locations and spying on movements.
  5. Balancing the "level gap." Unless you break this down every 20 levels then there will not be almost any pvp at low levels due to the fact that the player base is low now, mixed with a quick leveling curve giving constant changes to levels.
  6. Avoiding 15 towns cramped around spawn to try and avoid PVP
It's not a bad suggestion, and in fact it's better then most that have come up. The main problem with the suggestion is that Minecraft is a hard core to prevent exploitation of systems like this as we saw with the < 10th level from last map and this. The staff does not want to deal with managing systems like this, so there would have to be automated systems to manage it, which take a lot of coding over just pvp on/pvp off.

I would say continue to try to flush out methods and make a complete and organized suggestion and even if it's never adopted as is, at least it may be used in part if the community and Kainzo like the way any of it's sounds.

One thing to keep in mind. This one PVP group problem the server is seeing where AD is the only PVP force is not normal. All previous maps, as well as the start of Haven had at least 3 or 4 if not even more groups all heavily into PVP. When that's the case this is rarely an issue as those groups have skill players to fight eachother. The only reason this suggestion is coming up is because AD is the only group of PVPers that have not quit the server at this time, leaving all the newer players the HUGE challenge of having to learn to fight against very skilled opponents.
If the other PVP townships ever return this will be MUCH less of an issue.

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5

Recently it was suggested that towns should be No PVP zones, but even I like the idea of raiding and pillaging every once in a while. The only logical thing I have come up with as an alternative, and as much as I hate to suggest it, is the way Runescape handled PVP.

For those unfamiliar with it, "The Wilderness" in Runescape had levels to it. The level of wilderness corresponded with the amount of levels you and your opponent were allowed to be able to engage in combat. So in levels 1- 64 wilderness, a level 85 could not attack a level 20. Or in Hero Craft's case, A max level Wizard could not utterly destroy a level 20 Lost Soul.

All of Haven is considered Wilderness with the exception of Spawn and Graveyards. So naturally, Towns built further out from Spawn run the higher risk of being attacked by players of vastly different skill levels.

I believe if implemented, this change would even promote pvp among lower level players and add a little balance to the world.

In addition to that, an exact block distance to "wilderness level" would need to be established. Past a certain point, pvp should be allowed between all level players. It could go in increments of 1, 5, or 10 to save on message spam, but with 85 as a level cap, 85 levels of wilderness seems superfluous.

Another would be high level players buffing low level players in situations where they are invulnerable from attacks. A lvl 65 Bard going to 10 wilderness and constantly buffing a party of low levels to defeat other low levels would be entertaining, but maybe not a fair advantage. All it would take is the other party bringing their own allies to even things out. It would be interesting.

Messages displaying your current wilderness level could be displayed similliar to when you enter or leave a protection. The hero mod could also be utilized to display wilderness level constantly.

So throw some ideas/comments/unintelligent insults at me and tell me what you think.
They made lost souls un attackable to lvl 10 so you had lostsouls scooping gear and it was so stupid, Why would we want this like honestly? IMO Its Just so that Towns who arnt the best/don't like pvp can make their town right by spawn, You Lostsouls Don't like pvp? Yeah theirs this thing called Shrine that was made so people would stop bitching about stuff like this, how bout we use it?

Woah That sounded kinda harsh

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
One problem I see is the one the < Lvl 10 = No PvP last map had:

People can abuse this No-PvP power to get in the way of raids, steal items, buff/heal etc.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
One problem I see is the one the < Lvl 10 = No PvP last map had:

People can abuse this No-PvP power to get in the way of raids, steal items, buff/heal etc.
I hated that :( before I was whitelisted and got to lvl 10 I saw so many people on Greyson I could have easily killed