• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Announcing Project Eden!

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
The problem with pregenerated worlds is that there would be a lot of unwanted terrain that had to be entirely re-done whatsoever. Also, it would be much more difficult to create separate, themed areas with the effects biomes have (snow, rain, or no weather at all, let alone grass hue).
Instead, a superflat will enable us to fashion the map from ground up, and the base will be the same all across the terrain. Additionally, since it would take much too long to seed ores into newly generated terrain, we wouldn't have to deal with random areas having more stuff than others because one happened to be created a mountain biome and the other a Plain.
It would also be pretty damn impressive to make bad looking terrain with the VoxelSniper- which is why I won't let random people join and mess everything up. As far as different senses of aesthetics are concerned, that is a matter of quality assurance. If someone sees an area or a transition that looks too sharp or jagged or has need of a revamp, it will be done. Bear in mind this project is likely to take much longer than a month, enough time to ensure high quality. Considering the long development time, choosing a superflat will allow us to work in a more structured manner- I won't go too deeply into the grand plan because I don't want to spoil the surprise, but trust me, superflat or pregenerated will make little difference in the long run ;)

Alrighty, Weynard, you make a strong enough case that I'm willing to give it a shot. To be honest, I've never even heard of VoxelSniper, but you've intrigued me. Plus, having worked with you on other projects in the past, I'm inclined to trust your judgment more than doubt it. So count me in.

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
The idea sounds pretty good - I'd be up for working on the map prior to release in terms of creating nice themed areas or terraforming - not sure I can play Vanilla ever again after playing normal HC/Tekkit.

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
By the way, Weynard. Something that has only been briefly touched upon in Vanilla Minecraft that I would really love to attempt to do a better job on, is Ruins. You kind of see this in Jungle Temples and Fortresses, etc... but what I'd really love to do are the sort of old, ancient ruins that are hidden in mystical desert valleys, or buried in mountainous jungles, half covered in vegetation. Things that hint at something more magnificent that once stood in its place... like these:

Sorrento1-640x423.png

4597262161537927.JPG_thumbnail.16271539498865306

11436287743779snapshot.JPG

Anasazi-Ruins-Mesa-Verde-National-Park-Colorado.jpg

ruins-igreja-do-carmo-lisbon-portugal-3803071767.jpg

I would, personally, love to build hidden ruins dotted here and there throughout the landscapes. I could seriously get into that.

MsGigi

Legacy Supporter 8
I used to help out with an older server about a year ago with getting ruins and stuff built. I made some pretty cool things. The last pic (your arch ways) was something I was working on and they were looking pretty amazing until the server crashed and lost all of everyone's work.

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
The search for cool ruins pictures really makes me want to go on an architectural world tour to see these sites now...sigh... Ms. Gigi, you should sign on for this project if you're not in already.

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
@TheTXLibra if you like ruins so much, and want to take a fantasy turn... maybe you'd take interest in the Elder Scrolls' Dwemer ruins?

Morrowind

ScreenShot%2013.jpg

Skyrim (better detailed)

DwemerRuinsSkyrim.jpg

Dwemer_Ruins.jpg

2584-1-1322993902.jpg

0b0ec7e3d7875b17b0bf8f61d3f3c108.jpg

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
By the way, Weynard. Something that has only been briefly touched upon in Vanilla Minecraft that I would really love to attempt to do a better job on, is Ruins. You kind of see this in Jungle Temples and Fortresses, etc... but what I'd really love to do are the sort of old, ancient ruins that are hidden in mystical desert valleys, or buried in mountainous jungles, half covered in vegetation. Things that hint at something more magnificent that once stood in its place... I would, personally, love to build hidden ruins dotted here and there throughout the landscapes. I could seriously get into that.

Oh boy, are you going to love this... adding you and Galaxial to the conversation. Happy reading! :D

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Yaaay! Can't wait to start. The convo is epic long, so will need to read later, but I'm really looking forward to this. To date myself a bit, I used to play dice and paper AD&D way back when (like 20 years ago) and as a DM, much of my time was spend designing intricate ruins and dungeons, lands, maps, etc... this'll give me a chance to do that once again... without all the rape of the normal server.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I would love to join in but currently I'm trying to finish building the main maps' spawn to what I envisioned it to be when I terraformed it to begin with :p. I have tons of experience with VoxelSniper and have been promoting it for all terraforming over using WorldEdit. Count me in but I'm just really really busy in real life.

Examples of my work: The mountain of which Bastion sits atop of, the canyon that's to the west of Bastion Keep.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
I would love to join in but currently I'm trying to finish building the main maps' spawn to what I envisioned it to be when I terraformed it to begin with :p. I have tons of experience with VoxelSniper and have been promoting it for all terraforming over using WorldEdit. Count me in but I'm just really really busy in real life.

Examples of my work: The mountain of which Bastion sits atop of, the canyon that's to the west of Bastion Keep.

Sounds awesome! Don't worry, this won't be over in a month ;)

I'm good at doing things.

Care to elaborate?

OrangeAngel

Legacy Supporter 2
Oh I'm good at doing stuff too. Mostly taking orders then building. I'm like a McDonalds worker. I take you orders and then hand you shit on a tray. Very simple.