• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Announcing Project Eden!

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
To serve as an alternative to the heavy RPG and PVP focused main shard, Herocraft Vanilla will, as a mid-term goal, be transformed into a more viable option for Architects, casual PVPers and Vanilla Minecraft lovers.
---
Casual PVP without grind
The new map will serve as a counterweight to the Hardcore map we know and love. In the past, great building projects have been left unfinished, altered, damaged, ruined or walled in because of the strong focus on PVP and conflict. With Herocraft Eden, you will have the opportunity to start over in a land where Heroes never took foot. That does not mean you can't have fun with a sword and bow, but don't expect the high level of PVP depth and strategy you get on the main map!
Challenging building environments
Herocraft Eden will be a customly terraformed map that challenges your creativity like never before! Ever built a town on a volcano? Or inside one? Or inside a giant whirpool? How about a proper, 150 block high mountain? A canyon? The world tree or a scorched wasteland? Well, once we're done, you can!
Simplified township system
The intricate township system of Herocraft has a long-running tradition. However, on Herocraft Eden, there will be no township tiers. have your friends join your guild and set up camp! Guilds may even claim areas and have them landscaped to their needs for a fee!
---
To put it in a nutshell, you get less bashing heads in and more playing in mines. If you would like to give it a shot, be sure to check it out once it's live! More information will be released as the map comes along.
---
Looking for Architects!
If you happen to be a server architect already or just are a creative mind that enjoys terraforming and landscaping the world of Minecraft, you can now apply to help release this project.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
The concept is awesome, but do you know for sure that this is a thing? On the surface it seems like you have no authority to organize such a project.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
The concept is awesome, but do you know for sure that this is a thing? On the surface it seems like you have no authority to organize such a project.

A few months ago, Kainzo mentioned in a discussion that he'd like to have multiple maps at once, for example RPG/Survival/Creative. We've been in a conversation since June 2nd to plan and discuss this. The announcement was eventually scheduled for after 1.3 and the main map wipe, so here it is. I'm sure that once he is back online, he'll be able to confirm that this is actually a thing.

As far as progress goes, the map has already been generated and I've started working on it locally until we have more people to warrant setting it up as a separate map.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
A few months ago, Kainzo mentioned in a discussion that he'd like to have multiple maps at once, for example RPG/Survival/Creative. We've been in a conversation since June 2nd to plan and discuss this. The announcement was eventually scheduled for after 1.3 and the main map wipe, so here it is. I'm sure that once he is back online, he'll be able to confirm that this is actually a thing.

As far as progress goes, the map has already been generated and I've started working on it locally until we have more people to warrant setting it up as a separate map.
Well, that's cool. I kind of want to help out but I don't have any examples of terraforming... Would you be using any plugins that I could familiarize myself with?

itzmak

Legacy Supporter 7
Seems cool Weynard. I would love to help, I just need to find some pictures of things I terraformed last map and other servers.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
Well, that's cool. I kind of want to help out but I don't have any examples of terraforming... Would you be using any plugins that I could familiarize myself with?
Yes, there will be a plugin. I'll create a convo with you to discuss things.

Seems cool Weynard. I would love to help, I just need to find some pictures of things I terraformed last map and other servers.
Awesome!

itzmak

Legacy Supporter 7
Yes, there will be a plugin. I'll create a convo with you to discuss things.

Awesome!
How many examples would you like? I can supply some things I did in single player but I have not terraformed a ton on Herocraft itself.

Also will you be the one choosing who works with you or will staff choose?

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
How many examples would you like? I can supply some things I did in single player but I have not terraformed a ton on Herocraft itself.

Also will you be the one choosing who works with you or will staff choose?

As many as you like, but I suppose 3-4 will suffice. It doesn't matter if you built it on singleplayer or on HC since it'll become all too apparent who's been pretending when people need to build their first mountain :)

I'll be choosing. I don't know how much of the staff has worked with the particular plugin we'll be using, but I know what to look for as far as that goes.[DOUBLEPOST=1347459694,1347219004][/DOUBLEPOST]Two WIPs. Not telling where, what or why though ;)

nyKRR.jpg

D7paL.jpg

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
I would be all over this. I'm on the fucking verge of ragequitting the main map because I can't build for a g-ddamn hour without someone killing me. Makes it impossible to get any building done. Which leaves me with pretty much two options:
* fuck architecture and become a full-time asshole that goes around killing everyone I see, because it's apparently fucking hilarious, or...
* find some other place or game to play.

Not that I'm blaming the Heroes system. I'm just tired of having my work constantly interrupted. So, yeah, I'd definitely be on board with a new world. I'd actually prefer a map where architects got full region control like in the old days, just limit the size of our regions to approved projects so people can't go regioning half the map.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
So will there be pre-made structures on the map that the player base can work on?

The map right now is almost entirely superflat (excluding the part I already am working on :)), so, bearing in mind there is a concept for how to split it up, it is entirely up to us what we make of it, including the terrain. And yes, there are already a few exciting specifics that will definitely be built before the map is released.

I would be all over this. I'm on the fucking verge of ragequitting the main map because I can't build for a g-ddamn hour without someone killing me. Makes it impossible to get any building done. Which leaves me with pretty much two options:
* fuck architecture and become a full-time asshole that goes around killing everyone I see, because it's apparently fucking hilarious, or...
* find some other place or game to play.

Not that I'm blaming the Heroes system. I'm just tired of having my work constantly interrupted. So, yeah, I'd definitely be on board with a new world. I'd actually prefer a map where architects got full region control like in the old days, just limit the size of our regions to approved projects so people can't go regioning half the map.

The idea is that until the map hits, every architect has creative mode and full access to the VoxelSniper. Considering the scope of the project, regions would rather get in the way. If something is not up to standard, it will either be fixed or... well... the plugin DOES have a heat ray function.

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
The map right now is almost entirely superflat (excluding the part I already am working on :)),

I'm not a real big fan of superflat, except for testing concepts. Couldn't we rather adopt the ideas to a generated map with some wicked terrain, and then use creative to terraform areas of it to the way we wanted? For instance, you mentioned the inside of a large volcano: well, it would look a lot better if the volcano were a naturally-made large mountain, rather than what humans typically build in this case which is a lame-looking pyramid structure or dome or box. People just don't think in terms of nature, with the possible exception of geologists and landscapers. So a lot of barren wastes, volcanoes, and valleys designed in flatland and then pasted together or whatnot, are going to look really bad. Especially when you consider the varying ideas of aesthetics, styles, and competency levels involved.

My sincere recommendation would be to find a badass world seed, use that, then work -with- the generated terrain to create awesome new terrains to build in. Because I love the concept of extreme environments and everything else, I just hate the idea of what a strung-together mishmash of hand-crafted terrains will look like.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm not a real big fan of superflat, except for testing concepts. Couldn't we rather adopt the ideas to a generated map with some wicked terrain, and then use creative to terraform areas of it to the way we wanted? For instance, you mentioned the inside of a large volcano: well, it would look a lot better if the volcano were a naturally-made large mountain, rather than what humans typically build in this case which is a lame-looking pyramid structure or dome or box. People just don't think in terms of nature, with the possible exception of geologists and landscapers. So a lot of barren wastes, volcanoes, and valleys designed in flatland and then pasted together or whatnot, are going to look really bad. Especially when you consider the varying ideas of aesthetics, styles, and competency levels involved.

My sincere recommendation would be to find a badass world seed, use that, then work -with- the generated terrain to create awesome new terrains to build in. Because I love the concept of extreme environments and everything else, I just hate the idea of what a strung-together mishmash of hand-crafted terrains will look like.

The problem with pregenerated worlds is that there would be a lot of unwanted terrain that had to be entirely re-done whatsoever. Also, it would be much more difficult to create separate, themed areas with the effects biomes have (snow, rain, or no weather at all, let alone grass hue).
Instead, a superflat will enable us to fashion the map from ground up, and the base will be the same all across the terrain. Additionally, since it would take much too long to seed ores into newly generated terrain, we wouldn't have to deal with random areas having more stuff than others because one happened to be created a mountain biome and the other a Plain.
It would also be pretty damn impressive to make bad looking terrain with the VoxelSniper- which is why I won't let random people join and mess everything up. As far as different senses of aesthetics are concerned, that is a matter of quality assurance. If someone sees an area or a transition that looks too sharp or jagged or has need of a revamp, it will be done. Bear in mind this project is likely to take much longer than a month, enough time to ensure high quality. Considering the long development time, choosing a superflat will allow us to work in a more structured manner- I won't go too deeply into the grand plan because I don't want to spoil the surprise, but trust me, superflat or pregenerated will make little difference in the long run ;)

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
This sounds awesome! I'll definitely play in this world and spend time having some Survival building fun. However I am no great architect for major stuff like terraforming, so I can't really help with the terrain creation.