• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion An old minecraft RPG system that you may find pretty amazing

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Wow im on like... a suggestion post spree!

OK so, around 4-5 years ago I used to play on a server during the time where minecraft was in its PRIME. that server was so damn succesfull, there were always a minimum of 500 players online (One time it even reached 1000!)
There are a lot of factors contributing to the servers success, not just the fact that minecraft at the time was in its prime. It's a shame that the server no longer exists now, but they had a darn good run.

Specifically I wanted to talk about the servers amazing ranking system, that I think is actually implementable to herocraft.

I'll try to be brief, and specific, but I know my memory isn't top notch so i might've forgotten small details in the system. Here's essentially how it worked, there were 3 ranks globally throughout the entire server. Recruit, Guard, and Elite. Based on your rank, you are put into a server with only that rank of people.

So when you first join you're a recruit, you'd be with recruits that are in the same boat as you. There were towns in the recruit rank and you'd level up your class and honestly you would feel at home, knowing everyone around you can get there butt kicked by you. Eventually after leveling enough, you had a choice to rank up, resetting all of your class abilities, with the benefit of increased attributes to your choosing. Their attribute system was another beautiful thing but i can't remember the details about it.

One of the main reasons players poured into this server was mostly because of this ranking system. I remember myself joining, anticipating myself being outmatched by everyone's experience, but instead, I felt like everyone was just like me.. I was able to ally with people because of it and other people became enemies with me but i wasn't upset because i knew, that those people enemied with me had just as much chance at kicking my ass as i did theirs.

The most beautiful part of this system was the serverwide wars OOooohhhhhmygod. During these times all ranks (Recruit guard and elite) are spawned in islands with a diamond block to protect. And you'd just see waves of players just going at it against each other and it was so intense. You would've thought immediately, 'well that's bs the elite is obviously going to win df' but no, they capped the players in the war, where elites had less than guards, and guards had less than recruits, so it was completely balanced.

Another beautiful part of the system is that the few attributes were the only thing separating the ranks. So a high level recruit could actually take on a mid-high level elite. Honestly I wish i could remember more about the rank system they had in place but i just can't.

The reason I'm posting this is because I continue to do my research on leaving players. The top 2 reasons for new players deciding to quit is 1.) the servers too confusing(Which can be the players fault), and 2.) "I'm outmatched." It seems like newer players are extremely intimidated by the more experienced players, turning them away. Now I don't think any type of ranking system is anywhere close to being able to implement in herocraft right now, but I know a ranking system to divide newer players and experienced players would greatly help the server in keeping newer players.

Last edited:

_Trains_

Obsidian
This is a quote from Moderator Joshtai in another post:

Joining a new server is hard, at least in my experience most servers have a learning curve that new players will need to overcome in order to begin the path of mastery and really having fun. This goes for any game really, it's a new environment, new community that you need to integrate yourself into. It's very akin to immigrating to a new country, though on a much smaller scale.

But often times I don't blame the players, or as I like to think of them, bandits, to hunt you down. You already got this response, but the "this server is a hardcore server" really is how the player base thinks. There isn't much babying or handholding on the server. It can be cutthroat and difficult to really get a hang on of the server. In fact in my opinion one doesn't really become a learned member until around a year on the server, once you really start getting the hang on how things are done, etc, etc.

In fact it is the very situation that you witnessed, new players being hunted by higher leveled older players, that is the very thing that creates some of the best players this server has ever seen. In fact those players that are able to survive the initial onslaught, gain levels, and create protections to help themselves become the best players on the server.

I truly believe that the negative experiences when joining the server build character and in turn, allow a player retention and creation of real, quality players that help increase the experience on this server. Some might call me out on being crazy, but that's why I think this form of bulling, is very similar to the infamous hazing of American Greek Houses. To build that brother/sisterhood is crucial when forming groups, and those that suffer together really do grow together.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
I actually kind of like the ranking system.. hmm

J2BH

Legacy Supporter 7
Many may agree and many may disagree with the system that server had. But one fact remains unchanged. That server did everything SO right. Honestly, it's countless the amount of things that server did to make sure the player experience in above phenomenal. Which is quite clearly why this server would see hundreds upon hundreds of players constantly online. And yeah this servers hardcore that's cool, but for the server to be as succesfull as once definitely was, it needs to start catering to newer players, give them things to make them want to stay. You can't grow a community off of people that already exist. So far almost everything is catered toward the new and succesfull players on the server. Events are geared toward experiences players, and pvp is geared toward experienced players (Mostly because there are no other new players to pvp with! haha). From day 1 I've been trying to suggest things to help the server community grow and prosper like it once did, but I'm starting to feel like no one gives a shit about a succesfull herocraft anymore lol.

xBladeDalsmin

Legacy Supporter 8
And yeah this servers hardcore that's cool, . . . it needs to start catering to newer players, give them things to make them want to stay. You can't grow a community off of people that already exist.

This solemn point, I agree with. However, I have faith that Kain is well aware of this as well.