• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

1 of 1058!

Paul_Bakken

Obsidian
Hey fellow Heroes --

I found out yesterday that I am one of only 1058 people out of over 202,000 applicants to be selected to move on to round 2 of the Mars-One program. Still a little stunned to be honest, but am honored and humbled at the opportunity.

My family is very supportive. The odds of being picked were slim, and the odds of actually being selected as a part of the first 4-person colonist team are vanishingly small, but I am looking forward to seeing just how far this adventure can go. I am approaching this with what I hope is healthy skepticism but, even if the program fails, the chance to raise awareness and maybe do some good science is too important to pass up.

Anyhow, I was planning to do an IAmA/AMA on Reddit soon. I am a little reticent to go through with it, though, because I have been watching other selectees get absolutely savaged by vitriolic trolls. I am hoping that if I do go ahead with it, perhaps some friendly faces from the HC community would be willing to show up and ask some thought-provoking, non-hateful questions. I know that on HC I'm just that weird old hermit who builds roads, but if any of you would be willing to help me with some support for my AMA, I would really appreciate it.

I'll post details on time/date of the AMA if there is sufficient interest. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

-- Paul_Bakken

PS: If I actually do end up going to Mars, I'll probably have to cut back on my Minecraft. The lag from Mars is pretty bad. :)

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Hey fellow Heroes --

I found out yesterday that I am one of only 1058 people out of over 202,000 applicants to be selected to move on to round 2 of the Mars-One program. Still a little stunned to be honest, but am honored and humbled at the opportunity.

My family is very supportive. The odds of being picked were slim, and the odds of actually being selected as a part of the first 4-person colonist team are vanishingly small, but I am looking forward to seeing just how far this adventure can go. I am approaching this with what I hope is healthy skepticism but, even if the program fails, the chance to raise awareness and maybe do some good science is too important to pass up.

Anyhow, I was planning to do an IAmA/AMA on Reddit soon. I am a little reticent to go through with it, though, because I have been watching other selectees get absolutely savaged by vitriolic trolls. I am hoping that if I do go ahead with it, perhaps some friendly faces from the HC community would be willing to show up and ask some thought-provoking, non-hateful questions. I know that on HC I'm just that weird old hermit who builds roads, but if any of you would be willing to help me with some support for my AMA, I would really appreciate it.

I'll post details on time/date of the AMA if there is sufficient interest. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

-- Paul_Bakken

PS: If I actually do end up going to Mars, I'll probably have to cut back on my Minecraft. The lag from Mars is pretty bad. :)

If you end up going to Mars I demand a picture with you holding a sign professing your love for HCO. =P

If the time and date works I would come by to watch the happenings, and maybe have a question or two.

Above all else, congrats!

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Congrats, Paul! That would be an amazing experience to be part of. Science fiction come to life!

GoldenBoy204420

Glowstone
Just remember that if you get selected and find martian lifeforms to not show fear. If they sense fear they will eventually figure out that the fear is directed at them from your team. That means to them that they pose a threat to your team. In the lifeforms mind they are then perceiving themselves as dangerous to your team and may attempt to capitalize on that fear to establish a pecking order.

Weikauno

Coder
That's awesome! It'll be nice to have Herocraft represented up in space when and if you get out there, I bid you good luck when the time arrives, and be safe, always trust your instinct and fear none if martians appear, as Ryker has said. And remember on the trip there, eat your vegetable capsules!

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
must convince NASA (sorry, Mars One) that lonnnnnng range wifi is required for Mars inhabitation simulation project to be conducted by crews on minecraft during training and while in flight. Key focus should be given to the creation of structures, specifically roads and other travel routes, which will certainly be required on Mars because i mean duh.

Last edited:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Hey fellow Heroes --

-- Paul_Bakken

Grats!

uin153

Legacy Supporter 6
Not that I dont belive you paul, but can we see some proof, like the email they sent out or somthing? But I think thats really cool and exciting. Do you feel like its actually going to happen? I was reading another persons AMA that was selected and they said they dont think its going to happen while they are still alive.

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
Screw Darth Vader, ask them when the last time they saw the Doctor was! In all seriousness that is AMAZING and I am extremely jealous. I honestly consider applying myself but my wife said she wouldn't apply with me :confused: I wish you the best of luck in getting a spot to go. Truly a once in a lifetime chance and what a way to make a difference in the history of mankind! I will definitely post thoughtful, non-hateful questions / comments on a Reddit AMA in regards to this and know of several others not on HC that I will mention this too who would also have insightful questions for you in regards to this!

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Actually @uin153 this may be true, within the next 100 years we are supposed to have colonies on Mars with good populations if programs work and everything ( that is what is being predicted anyway)

uin153

Legacy Supporter 6
I wasnt saying it wasnt possible, I am just wondering if Paul thinks it will happen in the near future (as in the trip will actually happen)

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Actually @uin153 this may be true, within the next 100 years we are supposed to have colonies on Mars with good populations if programs work and everything ( that is what is being predicted anyway)
Within a 1000 years is more realistic for real actual colonies.

The terraforming progress for trees to grow, water to adapt, plants, animals etc. can take up several centuries of time. Remember that trying to create even a small reasonable amount of life on a cold, desert like planet such as Mars is a progress that won't just take a few years.

I can imagine humans travelling to mars and being there for perhaps a week or two while living of brought supplies, but we will not see any real colonization of Mars perhaps ever. Just because it might be possible to do it, doesn't mean the costs are worth it in the eyes of private companies.

I have read quite a lot of books and articles about the subject, and an expedition to Mars is very likely to happen and suceed within the next 100 years. Colonization however, not so much.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Congratulations!

Don't forget to plant a HC flag on mars for us if you go! =D

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Within a 1000 years is more realistic for real actual colonies.

The terraforming progress for trees to grow, water to adapt, plants, animals etc. can take up several centuries of time. Remember that trying to create even a small reasonable amount of life on a cold, desert like planet such as Mars is a progress that won't just take a few years.

I can imagine humans travelling to mars and being there for perhaps a week or two while living of brought supplies, but we will not see any real colonization of Mars perhaps ever. Just because it might be possible to do it, doesn't mean the costs are worth it in the eyes of private companies.

I have read quite a lot of books and articles about the subject, and an expedition to Mars is very likely to happen and suceed within the next 100 years. Colonization however, not so much.
It is very likely they could leave now if they wanted. Governments are always slow to tell us what tec they have. For instance the F-117 stealth fighter was announced in 1988 as the latest and greatest. The reality was that it had been around for 20 years and had been in general service for 10. This trend has continued with technologies such as the SR-71 Blackbird and the F-22 Raptor being shown 20 years after initial service.
What do you think they might have now that they don't plan on showing us for 20 years.

Last edited:

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Congrats Paul... All I can say is if you get there, be sure to build some nice roads for the rest of mankind to use :)

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
It is very likely they could leave now if they wanted. Governments are always slow to tell us what tec they have. For instance the F-117 stealth fighter was announced in 1988 as the latest and greatest. The reality was that it had been around for 20 years and had been in general service for 10. This trend has continued with technologies such as the SR-71 Blackbird and the F-22 Raptor being shown 20 years after initial service.
What do you think they might have now that they don't plan on showing us for 20 years.
Speculations.