• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Writing Quests (Tutorial + Guide)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
This is still a priority :) there's a few things I need to get straight before I dive in, if anyone else has made progress or wants to post an in-depth tutorial, feel free

Kyren_

Stone
This could maybe be a starting post for creating more visual RPG and Lore elements on the server? So far we've got a Lore section on the Wiki, which is simple but nicely written. But once you're dropped into Herocraft ingame, all you really have an idea of is that you're a Lost Soul and that you're in Bastion. There's no name for regions in the world, for important places other than the Towns, notable Guilds and Associations. I feel the world deserves a lot more.. recognizability.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
This could maybe be a starting post for creating more visual RPG and Lore elements on the server? So far we've got a Lore section on the Wiki, which is simple but nicely written. But once you're dropped into Herocraft ingame, all you really have an idea of is that you're a Lost Soul and that you're in Bastion. There's no name for regions in the world, for important places other than the Towns, notable Guilds and Associations. I feel the world deserves a lot more.. recognizability.

That is the ultimate goal, yes.

dragonzero39

Legacy Supporter 7
I do remember being told that Weynard was working on a large map. I haven't heard any updates about it in months though. I decided I am going to do my own project. When relesed, Herocraft players will be able to play it. I've been studying quest development through MCEdit under guides and videos by the quest master Hypixel, The reason I can't claim that the giant quest I am writing, is specifically a Herocraft quest, is due to the fact that I am using a different build teams pre-gen map. http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/eldaria-island---custom-terrain-mc-10---end-portal/

That link, will direct you to a map that is over 3000x3000 blocks of custom generated islands and terrain. Well, how do you plan to make a quest that spans the whole area, and how long will it take? Simple, the quest will revolve around the four horsemen of the apocalypse, and it is going to be a college project for me. So I'll just slowly eat away at it for the next four years.

If possible, I may requeset to the build team that they let me put Herocrafts name on it in some places, but it may be difficult to pull, but yeah just wanted you all to know I'm doing this in my spare time.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Dragonzero, anything related to mob health editing etc probably won't transfer over well to bukkit/heroes but I may be wrong. Also unless each individual section of the quest is repeatable it's kind of useless to us at present.

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
This looks awesome, I might end up writing a few (basic) quests. Is there a way to implement the karma system in (possibly as a reward at the end of a quest)?

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
This looks awesome, I might end up writing a few (basic) quests. Is there a way to implement the karma system in (possibly as a reward at the end of a quest)?

Assuming there is a command to add Karma to a player then yes it is possible to add karma as a reward.
gabizou is there one?

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
A cool thing to have would be side quests that can change your karma based on the choices you make during the quest. I was thinking kinda like daedra quests in Skyrim.