• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Will breeding be changed to how it used to be?

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I've been told that animal breeding was limited a couple of months ago to help the server deal with lag caused by.... something (i'm honestly not too sure what, but it sounded technical). As lag has since gone away (for the most part), I was wondering if animal breeding will be brought back to how it was at the beginning of the map.

I ask because, currently, it is difficult for farmers to breed their animals. Limiting the number of animals which can appear in a given area hinders the ability for farmers to have LOTS of cows/sheep/pigs, which is essential if they are to make selling leather/wool/pork worthwhile. I spent the other day breeding cows and, at the end, I was only able to produce 2 stacks of leather (using a looting II sword).

At the moment, going farmer seems like a waste of time if it is now both more time consuming and less rewarding than what it was. Large farms have existed in the past with little server lag, and I am told that the lag experienced during the change was caused not by farms, but through other means.

So, will anything change?

(If this should be moved to suggestions, or elsewhere, I do apologise).

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
I've been told that animal breeding was limited a couple of months ago to help the server deal with lag caused by.... something (i'm honestly not too sure what, but it sounded technical). As lag has since gone away (for the most part), I was wondering if animal breeding will be brought back to how it was at the beginning of the map.

I ask because, currently, it is difficult for farmers to breed their animals. Limiting the number of animals which can appear in a given area hinders the ability for farmers to have LOTS of cows/sheep/pigs, which is essential if they are to make selling leather/wool/pork worthwhile. I spent the other day breeding cows and, at the end, I was only able to produce 2 stacks of leather (using a looting II sword).

At the moment, going farmer seems like a waste of time if it is now both more time consuming and less rewarding than what it was. Large farms have existed in the past with little server lag, and I am told that the lag experienced during the change was caused not by farms, but through other means.

So, will anything change?

(If this should be moved to suggestions, or elsewhere, I do apologise).

The livestock limit comes and goes - for a long while there they removed it, but it is back now. I agree we need to be able to breed more livestocks, but then people don't need herds of 500 animals either. Maybe a realistic limit of like 50-100 per chunk ? I think the limit now is around 10-15 which is very easy to get.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
The lag is gone BECAUSE there are not excessive amounts of animals. I don't see why Kainzo would switch it back.
The amount of animals people were breeding was retarded, and each entity uses space on the server. By limiting entities there is less lag.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
and it is still VERY easy to get leather/wool and pork yesterday I got around 8 stacks of leather and close to 13 stacks of beef

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Before anyone posts anything saying "lol they couldnt have breeded enough cows to cause any lag", I'll just leave this screenshot here. I think I took it during January when I was asked to kill a bunch of animals with a Pulse.
2013-01-22_21.49.55.png

MajorasMask

Ungodly
The lag is gone BECAUSE there are not excessive amounts of animals. I don't see why Kainzo would switch it back.
The amount of animals people were breeding was retarded, and each entity uses space on the server. By limiting entities there is less lag.

I was told the lag came from something else, and that limiting the number of animals per chunk would only support the server while it was dealing with the lag (like providing pain relief while you go grab proper medicine).

Kainzo May I get some more information about this?

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Before anyone posts anything saying "lol they couldnt have breeded enough cows to cause any lag", I'll just leave this screenshot here. I think I took it during January when I was asked to kill a bunch of animals with a Pulse.
View attachment 7269

I was doing that in Paragon aswell, and I didn't experience much lag from that. Lag only came rarely, and I ended up killing the cows before lag became an issue.

and it is still VERY easy to get leather/wool and pork yesterday I got around 8 stacks of leather and close to 13 stacks of beef

Not everyone can run around spawn all day waiting for the ''Summoncow'' cooldown to pass... :p

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
I was doing that in Paragon aswell, and I didn't experience much lag from that. Lag only came rarely, and I ended up killing the cows before lag became an issue.
I didnt experience too much lag either, but mainly because I didnt have time to lag between all the crashing I went through in trying to even reach the room to kill the cows.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I was told the lag came from something else, and that limiting the number of animals per chunk would only support the server while it was dealing with the lag (like providing pain relief while you go grab proper medicine).

Kainzo May I get some more information about this?

Animals did cause lag in their own right but the real horrific lag a while back was the Maps in Item frames.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
I haven't noticed very much lag at all lately, but I notice a bunch around 12pm CDT. Any ideas what might be causing lag today?

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
Well, u don't need to breed them, just summon it, u could at least summon two cows in the same time. Mcows and normal cows. Just summon a ton of them, then u are good to go.[DOUBLEPOST=1371077213,1371077177][/DOUBLEPOST]Although it would be good to breed too. Just saying.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I haven't noticed very much lag at all lately, but I notice a bunch around 12pm CDT. Any ideas what might be causing lag today?

It's directly related to the memleak we're trying to patch.

For the lore and sake of lag - we won't be allowing massive farms like we used to.

ThatAintFalco

Portal
Maybe make it so that the drops of cows and pigs are like doubled. It talkes way longer to get 30c killing cows than mining. Also, the animal restriction per chunk isn't really working.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Maybe make it so that the drops of cows and pigs are like doubled. It talkes way longer to get 30c killing cows than mining. Also, the animal restriction per chunk isn't really working.

Yes, I was thinking this too. Farmer doesn't seem all that worth it now.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter

Yes, I was thinking this too. Farmer doesn't seem all that worth it now.

and yet if everyone switches out of farmer and the leather runs out the price of leather will rise because there is a shortage and will become more profitable. Your issue is that you the players have ruined the price of leather by constantly undercutting each other. You made it not worth while not us.

See how the argument can go both ways?

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Not everyone can run around spawn all day waiting for the ''Summoncow'' cooldown to pass... :p[/quote]
yea you can if you want to

View attachment 7269
lol multi at first I thought those were bats

MajorasMask

Ungodly
and yet if everyone switches out of farmer and the leather runs out the price of leather will rise because there is a shortage and will become more profitable. Your issue is that you the players have ruined the price of leather by constantly undercutting each other. You made it not worth while not us.

See how the argument can go both ways?

I wouldn't say that expensive leather would make up for the fact that you now have to spend more time producing less material. Unless leather starts being sold at 60c+ per stack, I have little confidence that being a farmer will be just as worthwhile as it was in the past. I think that, regardless of what the price is, less leather will be produced, which is the problem.

yea you can if you want to

So the only way to make being a farmer economically viable is to grind away for hours using the same skill? I did a calculation behind this, and found that you're not likely to make any more than 4 stacks of leather in six hours by just running around and spawning cows. This was an overestimate. It's a much better use of your time to go miner and grind away at finding gold. Not only will you make more money, but you'd do so quicker. I'm not really seeing farmer, as a profession, at all competitive when compared with some other professions.