• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Transportation Team of Heroes - Team Selected!

Saber993

Legacy Supporter 5
RE: Transportation Team of Heroes (apply here!)

SupaSkwirrel said:
I'd love to get involved if I had the time. This sounds like it will be an awesome project.

On a related note, have you guys considered:

[align=center][size=x-large]BOATS vs. MINECARTS[/size][/align]

Minecarts are kick ass and we all wanna ride around in one like Indiana Jones, but the tracks and carts themselves end up costing a whole lot of ore.

Boats, although some people cringe at the word, (and I don't blame you, we all know how easily they fall apart and how hard they are to steer) should still be considered when talking about transport.

A just read up on a new system called EATS which looks complicated at first but seems to do some really cool stuff with boats. Hers a youtube vid that demonstrates the system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77lX-28iv4&feature=related

It may not be perfect but I can think of at least some bonuses to using it. Then again I'm not very experienced at transportation so I'll just leave htis here for the council to decide if it's useful or not :icon_mrgreen:

What's amusing is as I was watching it I thought "This is the kind of thing Ethos would come up with"...and then I looked at the video poster. He comes up with all the cool stuff.

Honestly, I'd love to see something like this in SMP but it'd be too buggy vs a minecart system, currently. If boats ever get some SMP love though I'd say this system would give a minecart highway a run for its money.

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
As much as boats are cheap and eco friendly :p, they are significantly slower. Someone can easily manipulate the boat and either screw up their path or wreck the boat and then be stuck in the middle of the boat-way. Carts are just simpler: you can easily design a system to take you to whichever destination. If you could create a tug boat and lug some chests around, I would say to create some canals here and there, but right now, minecarts are the way to go.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
Yeh, it was just a suggestion. I had assumed we would landscape areas around and make it our subway look good. Larger tunnels give more room for additions of other nice things. My opinion, however.

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
thanks kainzo :)

and, to reply you, alex, we can make the tunnels larger, prettier, and everything, after making it usable

we have lot of work to do, so it's probably better to make the tunnels the more easy to make in the first time

and well, the bigger are the tunnels, the less people around have space and the more we have chances to hit someone build

McGreed

TNT
I vote that if we dig into lava, we put in glass so we can see the lava when we past though, makes it less 'dull' when travelling long ways. :)

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
McGreed said:
I vote that if we dig into lava, we put in glass so we can see the lava when we past though, makes it less 'dull' when travelling long ways. :)

i see you likemy pict ^^

i vote for that too, and, for water too, and for big caves too, so we'll have something to see (very quickly) when traveling

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
I agree with Carmeops. 3x3 is best solution.

Also, just curious, should there be a rule that if you get out of your minecart and mess up traffic, you will be banned for a certain amount of hours or fined? Or is there are a plugin that stops people from getting out of minecarts until they reach the station?

Encoded2

Stone
We would also need a rule against towns building a station so you could switch the track into a different direction and send the person and their cart into a lava pit.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
My idea for stations was that they would be at set points, but also realmed to only the transportation team members. To get a track installed to your town if you just formed one, you would first need to show a working station on your end and then a transportation team member would approve your track addition.

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
nice idea, it would definitivly make planning easier if towns make theirs stations first, and then we link it

but, for that we need to define where we will make the tracks so we can give to towns the Y coords to put rails, and the y coords where you stand when you put rails so they can't misunderstand

McGreed

TNT
Minecart station without mods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MWIwM_3xUw&feature=player_embedded#at=307

bearcat99

Sir GrowlMeow
Legacy Supporter 2
Alex, can you msg me or pm me whatever you spend so I can write it down? I want to keep a list of things spent and on what.

AND, this is also just a suggestion:

What if we make one of the Nexus floors the main station, considering that the Nexus is the home of travel? We can just make a station at spawn to link to the Nexus.