• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[Township] - A Idea For Rings

ForTehZZZ

Coal
Don't we all love stealing from towns, killing players and just messing about on this server?

Well you might not, but I sure do! :D

However, when I am on my usual trips around the world looking for areas to loot from, I encounter a problem.

During the night town rings can not be seen. Not at all. This is because Obsidian is VERY good at hiding during the night, you just can't see it! :(

So, I suggest that the obsidian rings all get changed to a block that emits light. Like Pumpkins, or Locked Chests. OR, you replace them with a light blocks (Such as white wool) and then add torches to all sides of them.

This would help people reconise if there is a town near or not. I have heard stories about people killing others in towns, thinking they were not towns (Because they could not see the rings).

DanVonTrap

Legacy Supporter 3
I disagree with this. Towns have the options to place touches on there rings if they choose not to then so be it, why should rings be made clearer so a thief like yourself have an easier time. The rings should be left as they are.

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
i agree with the locked chests rings for those points:

-totally useless items so it give an use to them
-give light, so, very visible at night and it's the point of the ring: being visible
-uncraftable and unrecoltable, it will be 'the' town ring blocks
-only admins can use them, so only official town ring can have them

DanVonTrap

Legacy Supporter 3
carmeops said:
i agree with the locked chests rings for those points:

-totally useless items so it give an use to them
-give light, so, very visible at night and it's the point of the ring: being visible
-uncraftable and unrecoltable, it will be 'the' town ring blocks
-only admins can use them, so only official town ring can have them

Why thou do you not like the challenge of finding a town? You really want them so clear its easy for you to find. The reason also why i think you agree is because you are a thief also and it benefits you, what about the towns you would be robbing maybe they do not want to have there rings bright as day for everyone to see.

If this is something kainzo is thinking of using then the town mayor should be given the option of obsidian or this lighter more clear ring, after all it is there town.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Well - the entire point of "rings" is to dictate what is and what is not an official area. Not having them visible is only hurting mayors - because rare blocks can be stolen from placement outside town rings.

strongholdx

Legacy Supporter 6
It's not just thieves that would benifit, travelers trying to find a safe haven for the night, new people coming to find a town, and so on, It's not JUST thieves that would get benifits

carmeops

Legacy Supporter 5
In fact, not knowing if it's a legal town is better for thieves, they can steal high valuables block, and then say that the ring wasn't there

Thieves will steal EveryWhere! But if they know they are into a town, they will thinks two time before stealing something, depending of the rules

And, i indeed say that cause i'm a thief (famous robber?) and therefore i know how thieves work, a clearly visible ring is better for everyone

DanVonTrap

Legacy Supporter 3
thieves are thieves you don't care weather it is ringed town or not just knowing its a ring means it will probably a bit harder to get in you will still rob it thou. And robbing high value blocks im assuming u mean a diamond or gold block placed and if that is what you mean then im sorry to bursed your bubble its classed as griefing whether it is an official town or not. Everyone to there own in what they do in herocraft, but if comes down to it the ring visibility should be the mayors decision.

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
DanVonTrap said:
And robbing high value blocks im assuming u mean a diamond or gold block placed and if that is what you mean then im sorry to bursed your bubble its classed as griefing whether it is an official town or not.

No it is not griefing. This has been stated several times.

http://herocraftonline.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=730&pid=11781#pid11781

For those too lazy to read that thread, here it is:

Doreagarde said:
ForTehZZZ said:
I have a question and stealing in the wilderness. I know that your allowed to steal from chests/furnaces... but..

Are you allowed to remove blocks of value? I know removing blocks you did not place is griefing, but are you allowed to removed valuable blocks like diamonds and gold?

If so, can you also list all the blocks that it is legal to remove. Thanks! :D

See this:

DagothAgahnim said:
~WHAT YOU CAN LOOT FROM WILDERNESS HOMES~
-unprotected chests
-unprotected Iron Blocks
-unprotected Gold Blocks
-unprotected Diamond Blocks
-unprotected Lapis Blocks

These are all rare and valuable blocks that, if using your common sense, you wouldn't leave laying around unprotected in the wilds.

This was posted in a thread in the staff forum in a discussion about this very thing. Kain approved Dago's list, and I don't know why it was never released. Anyway, it's not unwritten anymore!

Edit: It does say Wilderness explicitly, but I have also posed the question if this includes unregioned areas in town.

DanVonTrap

Legacy Supporter 3
Thanks for bringing that to my attention i did not relies that was legal as far as i was aware it was not allowed. Its not that im to lazy to read things i read many threads on hear sometimes im on hear more than i am on minecraft lol, just some threads i have missed this being one of them. Thanks again for showing me that article.

ForTehZZZ

Coal
Drat. Hmm.... For the mean time I reckon' towns should place lights on their rings. Maybe the blocks could also be replaced with light blocks (Like White Wool) to make it easier to see them?

Welkyr

Iron
perhaps give towns a choice of a few light colored blocks. I know I wasn't on when my rings were placed, but I would love to have light green wool for a ring :)

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Wool could work, maybe. You could also use it to denote certain things, the kingdom a town belongs to or their alignment or something. It may be fun to use multiple block types as well, such as alternating colored wool and lightstone/pumpkins. So in that case you'd have light as well as color coding. I sort of think that towns don't require lit rings- it reminds me of light pollution IRL, little rural towns are dark at night, whereas major cities can be seen from miles away.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
Draskuul said:
Edit: It does say Wilderness explicitly, but I have also posed the question if this includes unregioned areas in town.

I agree about the rule of taking valuable blocks in the wilderness, but in a town like Artemis, where the region flag for building is allowed, stealing unregioned blocks wouldn't be fair. From my experiences, multiple people have been banned over grieving in Artemis. I regioned the blocks of diamond in my town if this ever became a rule... Which i doubt it will

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
GreekCrackShot said:
I agree about the rule of taking valuable blocks in the wilderness, but in a town like Artemis, where the region flag for building is allowed, stealing unregioned blocks wouldn't be fair. From my experiences, multiple people have been banned over grieving in Artemis. I regioned the blocks of diamond in my town if this ever became a rule... Which i doubt it will

No offense, but that seems incredibly lazy and irresponsible using the global build flag rather than adding citizens to the region. I can't imagine you really want non-citizens building as well? There is no sense relying on the no-griefing rules to clean up the mess.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
Draskuul said:
GreekCrackShot said:

No offense, but that seems incredibly lazy and irresponsible using the global build flag rather than adding citizens to the region. I can't imagine you really want non-citizens building as well? There is no sense relying on the no-griefing rules to clean up the mess.

You cant assume that, ive worked extremely hard rebuilding this town, and the non citizens have been a big part of it. And im in no position to change that. Im not gonna allow my hard work on mining and designing to go to waste because some greedy griever. If i was building in the wilderness than thats my bad. But Artemis has been builder-friendly since before i even joined this server, and unless there's an unexpected change in the rules, its gonna stay that way.

I probably shouldve mentioned this before, but i region EVERYONE of my citizen's houses, lock there chests, furnaces, doors, etc. I'm doing the best i can with the vigorous construction. If you think that's irresponsible, then whatever man.

Sorry if i sound pissed off, that's just how i feel

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
GreekCrackShot said:
I probably shouldve mentioned this before, but i region EVERYONE of my citizen's houses, lock there chests, furnaces, doors, etc. I'm doing the best i can with the vigorous construction. If you think that's irresponsible, then whatever man.

Okay, that actually sounds just fine to me then. I expected that the build flag setup was because individual plots weren't regioned, but since they are then it isn't an issue if done right. I've dealt with that crap in the past (Blake) and made a concerted effort to stamp that bad habit out when we rebuilt New Hope.