• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Town theft... again

ADaringEnchilada

Legacy Supporter 4
Most of us can look back not too long ago and remember the infamous thief Xtb5x from coal harbor. For some of us, what he did was game-breaking and his actions induced a plague of town theft the ultimately lead to the banning of stealing rare blocks, griefing and stealing from town halls.

However, this sunday/monday, another thief appeared on the server; Phillyeagles. Not surprisingly he had a motive for stealing, he was stealing for Kamino, and town that is at war with Orion, the victim town. This highly targeted theft is obvious it was intentional and such actions should be completely illegal, and it would appear Kainzo agrees with this point, however that's what I heard when he was asked by Danda in help chat.

Now my point in divulging this information is a plead for reformation. I'm suggesting town theft by town members in any circumstance be illegal, possibly resulting in a 3-day suspension; skipping the first warning to the second as this should not be encouraged by any means. It isn't right that a town can either take new members, or have alternate accounts, and use them to become a member of a hostile town to steal from them and help themselves. If you allow this to continue, you'll destroy this server because everyone will start doing it, towns will stop recruiting members, and life on the server will be dull, as everyone will be too paranoid to recruit new members.

In refutation, should I hear suggestions such as "Buy LWCs" or "It's a part of life. Be more careful as to whom you recruit" I have this to say: No.

Why should my citizens, and why should my friends have to buy LWCs when they live in a town? Does that not make towns redundant? If the purpose of a town is to offer protection, yet it cannot guarantee that its citizen's chests will be secured from all threats, foreign and domestic, then it does not serve its purpose of protecting its citizens. LWCs should not be necessary if you live in a town, as the town is supposed to offer the protection the LWC does, and more. Furthermore, it is not the job of the town to look into the people they recruit. It is not the responsibility of the mayor or his council to investigate the people he/she recruits, as they may be a new member, or may have no traceable forum posts.

To put into perspective what he stole for Kamino, or all of North Reach, here's a tiny portion of what I know he stole:
20 stacks of iron ore
64 gold
3 stacks of lapis blocks
10+ misc. gold tools and weapons
other misc. Items we aren't yet sure about

Hopefully you will see reason in this argument, and prohibit stealing from fellow town members in every circumstance. Furthermore, I would expect to see proper punishment not only limited to the criminal, but to his associates, In this case, Kamino and North Reach. I would expect a full rollback of the player so as to return the items to their legitimate owners.

A new development in this case: http://gyazo.com/ff160dab6ce0861ac06d4b0afcab23e1

dragonzero39

Legacy Supporter 7
This is ridicules. It shouldn't even be a 3 day ban. I understand how there can't be reimbursement but in some cases its almost necessary. Would anyone like to take a guess as to how long it takes to get 20 STACKS of iron ore? or 64 gold? Maybe 2-3 days of hard mining work, and then towns like kamino get to benefit from breaking the rules. I think in this situation the mayor of Kamino should be the one punished, Kamino is a small enough town as of this instant that the mayor must of had information on what was taking place. We should not suffer because another town consciously breaks the rules, gets away with it, and benefits. Those materials were going to go towards our capital and now we are at a large setback. It is with a dear request that I ask for some IP checks on phillyeagles and some of the Kamino town members. I wouldn't be suprised if a match came up.​

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Well daring, come next map me and xexorian are keeping it simple. You can always join us and we can get a group of people together for a town and never recruit again >:D

so if this issue doesn't get resolved, we can say "FUCK THE SYSTEM" and never recruit anyone! Problem solved!

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
Well daring, come next map me and xexorian are keeping it simple. You can always join us and we can get a group of people together for a town and never recruit again >:D

so if this issue doesn't get resolved, we can say "FUCK THE SYSTEM" and never recruit anyone! Problem solved!
Let me come, let me come! I can do the dishes, wash the laundry and make damned good sandwiches! Even ask Daring!

Tigo123

Iron
I would like to say that we got robbed the other day by a suspected orion member, and nothing was done to the suspect he joined the clan and stole right away, so why hasnt anything been done to them? Also, Philly eagles is my brother, he has watched me for weeks on HC and knew I was enemies with you guys and that is why he did it he insisted to do this.

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
Let me come, let me come! I can do the dishes, wash the laundry and make damned good sandwiches! Even ask Daring!

haha nothing is set in stone. I'm just using potential future plans to back up daring. This town theft BS has gone way too far. To the point where you can't trust anyone you recruit because they can so easily get away with so much damage. I'm glad spire caught Orb_of_Thor last night and blocked off his regioned spawn. If any other town had the chance to do that to a town thief before they ran off, they would do it too.

EDIT: Hence why I'd rather live in a small town with people I trust and never recruit again. It's definitely the way to go, because join towns for protection, which its advertised as, isn't really protection at all, it's almost more risky than living in the wild. In the wild you can make a house as big as you want, report every griefing, and just buy LWCs for anything you aren't willing to live without. If you can't afford LWCs, you aren't ready to build a house in the wild :p

kriskills

Legacy Supporter 6
I agree, few days ago, one of our members caught another stealing from chests. He killed him 5 times, then broke the bed. It should be illegal, and Ignotis did the same thing. We all know each other there, got 10 friends in all to play, and never recruited anyone. Why risk all the money and resources we had on others?

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
He was a citizen at the time of theft. That is against the rules.

Well, Seratt worded it like that in the global alert he did when he changed the rules about that. But what it really is, is that you cannot grief your own town you're on the region for. So hide your shit under the floorboards in an obsidian box, and you can get them on rule breaking. Otherwise it's really the same as before.

itzmak

Legacy Supporter 7
Again store it in the town hall and when members need something take it out for them.

Answer this question - What is so realistic about having a dirt block over your chest so people can't steal?

ADaringEnchilada

Legacy Supporter 4
Also, I'm going to alert the trolls now, and you know who you are, that mindless trolling is not accepted at ALL on this thread. This is a suggestion for an amendment of the rules of the server, and if you can't take this thread seriously because of the author, you need to learn to grow up or get out. Your senseless trolling and useless criticism is not constructive and boasts how idiotic you are.

Learn to read the whole story, then learn to make an educated and informed response. Grow up, or get out. I honestly don't care what you think if you aren't going to be constructive, and I highly doubt anyone else cares to hear your mindless banter and stupid one-liners.

itzmak

Legacy Supporter 7
Me trolling? I mean this server is hardcore, if you are going to bitch over someone stealing from your town there are easy fixes for it. Kainzo even said "Buy a Lwc". While I was playing we didn't have one thief at Rangpur, we would ask the recruit questions and also ask others questions about the new recruit. Also like I stated above you do have that town hall region. Just ask your town members if they would like their items stored in there. Yeah it might not be the most convenient but it has the best protection. Also there are creative servers out there that you can spawn your own items and build happily. Maybe one of those is for you?

xpeterc1

Legacy Supporter 7
Well I agree with itzmak, but to the OP main point is that there is an espionage war going on. People using accounts we have no prior knowledge about (alternative accounts/friends accounts/hacked accounts ETC) means no records or info we can check on, we blindly trust them because we can only go on what their apps say. If everyone didn't lie on their whitelist application then there would be no need to ban people for troll grifers.

Like grifers who lie on their apps to gain access to the server, these people lie when they apply apps/ask to join the town and it's very hard to determine their trust but we still give newcomers access like how procters give permission to get onto the server. These kind of people have an agenda and they are not there to make friends, this is just a disguise to get what they want when other methods would have fail, this is bypassing the region system. An abuse of having multiple accounts or legion to another town, since there would be no way of access a region locked chest beside exploit or having region access.

In this case they came with the intent of stealing from Orion and while this might be a hardcore server how are we suppose to test the waters, there is no way to measure the trust a citizens has when joining. It is an advantage to those that have more accounts and that is not legit.
If we did implement a test for each citizen, it would hinder growth since it's punishing newcomers who might not be spies.

-in conclusion, people who have alternative accounts joining another town to just steal is very hard for a town to detect and it's unfair because that means people who have more alternative accounts will win. towns start to lost trust in citizens and they could directly influence a towns outcome like the gold flow of that town.

-the trust should not be abused like that, towns are suppose to form a community but having people who have their own goals in just stealing is not helping, that's why I was always in favor of mini-regions for towns use, to isolate these kinds of incidents.

-for clarity, the person who stole from Orion asked to join the town and had no previous records we were unable to find any faults. We accepted him/her as a citizen and by that, they gained region access which allowed them untold treasures, which would been impossible to reach without region access.
*I advocate stealing which many people do all the time and I have no issue but this is abuse of trust to gain region access which takes stealing to a whole new level since everything in that region is no longer safe. Not only is this subject to stealing but this can also be a game-changer.
Someone who can open the gates anytime, someone who digs a secret tunnel for raiders to enter from. This is not hardcore, that is just extreme war do we really need to have an espionage war? Making towns lost trust of their new citizens, we are trying to make friends.

You are undermining the region by having an account that has no legion to us by having an account we are unable to research on thus gaining region access since we "Trust" you yet you only join for your own gain.
This is just douche-bag action to take even if we are enemies, which translates to fanboyism for that town.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
While I do agree that stealing from your own town is stupid and shouldn't be allowed, they have a point when they say that you could have prevented it. I suggest Orion dig out a large area under their town hall and use it as a vault area as it does not seem that the rules are going to change anytime soon.

@Dielan9999 Can I be part of your mini town? :D

ADaringEnchilada

Legacy Supporter 4
I never called you a troll itzmak, you were actually constructive, however if you look a few posts above this reply, you'll see what I'm talking about.

On subject: We shouldn't have to purchase an LWC. Hell, the description of the server used to advocate joining a town because it was safer; but it is not. Honestly, we shouldn't feel obliged to make sacrifices to ensure safety when we are part of a town, because the purpose of a town is to provide protection. It's redundant to tell someone to join a town for protection, and then tell them to use an LWC for protection, a lot like the rule that states you cannot steal inside of zeal, but you can steal from the noble plots inside zeal, yet there is nothing inside of zeal that you could possibly take, making the rule redundant.

I remember back when stealing from towns was illegal to anyone. Now the rules have gotten to loose and need to be tightened back up, because allowing a game-breaking exploit like this to pass is detrimental to the server.

Tyronus

Legacy Supporter 4
My town shiroku has lost to many people to the treepers ITZMAk. Guese what i have in all have been stolen from at least 20 stacks if iron and i couldnt do a thing about it and put that person on my enemy list and you know what im still thriveing look the way i see it is if you are too weak for this server then GTFO. and go play on your buildserver.