• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

On the topic of town defense...

GraRona

Portal
The way I see it, the lack of mob spawns on the surface is the source of most of the problems present on HC.

Joka10

Soulsand
I didn't play in Zeal, but it would be nice if there was a safezone in towns... Someone mentioned that raiders would just sit in there and eat to regain health; what if you made it so raiders didn't get immunity, or just couldn't regenerate, in the town hall? I don't know how balanced that would be, but it would at least help...

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
Thanks for explaining the darkroom issue danda.

That's part of the thing I like about bedspawns the whole if you forget you have to walk - I honestly believe they can work well in tandem with graveyards. Have a limit on x spawns in x minutes to counter campIng - which was why they were removed? It makes raiding more interesting whilst not being stupid in that you don't get sent back to the graveyard where the raiders buddies wait for you so you can't even run back to your town.

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
I didn't play in Zeal, but it would be nice if there was a safezone in towns... Someone mentioned that raiders would just sit in there and eat to regain health; what if you made it so raiders didn't get immunity, or just couldn't regenerate, in the town hall? I don't know how balanced that would be, but it would at least help...
We don't want to make it impossible for raiders... we just want it a little bit better for towns.

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
We don't want to make it impossible for raiders... we just want it a little bit better for towns.
Exactly jazza - I didnt think about it earlier but reimplenting bedspawns in tandem with graveyards would pretty much give towns that little bit of extra advantage that they need. Perhaps beds can only be placed in a town region.[DOUBLEPOST=1347838083,1347837815][/DOUBLEPOST]I'd really like some admin input on this because I feel it's a significant issue really hampering the RPG feel of the server.

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
We can't have a graveyard in towns because then raiders will just keep spawning in town. I've said this about 10 times now, Bedspawns to some degree will fix a lot of the problems though people will still keep building boxed towns simply because they have to, even though they may not want to.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Perhaps another solution would work for spawning. I'm not sure if it would be possible to code it but if it is possible I think it would be ideal. Create a town spawn, any member of town a town that dies inside any town including their own spawns at their town spawn. Any non town member and town members killed outside of a town spawn at the nearest graveyard. You could also place your town spawn in a protected area so that they can not camp you. Also an experience nerf or title nerf for killing the same player more than once in say a ten minute period could help combat spawn camping.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Perhaps another solution would work for spawning. I'm not sure if it would be possible to code it but if it is possible I think it would be ideal. Create a town spawn, any member of town a town that dies inside any town including their own spawns at their town spawn. Any non town member and town members killed outside of a town spawn at the nearest graveyard. You could also place your town spawn in a protected area so that they can not camp you. Also an experience nerf or title nerf for killing the same player more than once in say a ten minute period could help combat spawn camping.

That's what I meant by "town-only" graveyards. If you make it no-pvp, you'd have border camping issues. If you allow pvp you have spawn camping issues. The only way to have a town-only graveyard is to solve either of those problems.

Spawn camping in other games is normally solved by buffing a newly spawned player and/or making the spawn area inaccessible to enemy players. A bedrock cube with a one-way teleporter would be an ugly but slightly effective solution. Other than that, I'm out of ideas on spawn-camping.

Sapetey

Stone
I don't see how nice towns are ever going to get built on this map, tbh. To pay such high costs to even get a town and then not be able to make it nice due to the constant raiding/no safety almost seems like more stress than it's worth. If the focus of this map is supposed to be more pvp/risk orientented then so be it, but if we want a nice "realm" feel I'm not sure that's going to happen given the current environment on the server.

Bastion looks good though..so at least we have that.
I saw Braavos before they actually have quite a nice town with patterned walls. They look like they have spent some time on that or/as well as planned it out before it started. Nice towns can be obtained in the end don't blame the mob rate everyone is grinding of mobs with little spawn rates. Its not only you, its everyone. If your gonna complain its unfair than get stronger no ones telling you to grind of mobs. You have a brain make traps in your town carry a flint and steel better yet a lava bucket.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
That's what I meant by "town-only" graveyards. If you make it no-pvp, you'd have border camping issues. If you allow pvp you have spawn camping issues. The only way to have a town-only graveyard is to solve either of those problems.

Spawn camping in other games is normally solved by buffing a newly spawned player and/or making the spawn area inaccessible to enemy players. A bedrock cube with a one-way teleporter would be an ugly but slightly effective solution. Other than that, I'm out of ideas on spawn-camping.
Thats what i said make it in a safe place that other towns cant get to. And when someone from a town dies they spawn back intheir own town not yours

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
I saw Braavos before they actually have quite a nice town with patterned walls. They look like they have spent some time on that or/as well as planned it out before it started. Nice towns can be obtained in the end don't blame the mob rate everyone is grinding of mobs with little spawn rates. Its not only you, its everyone. If your gonna complain its unfair than get stronger no ones telling you to grind of mobs.

Are you actually taking part in the building of a town? Have you dealt with the constant raids with nearly no protection offered as you attempt to build? Do you know what Braavos has gone through to get what they have? Do you know their particular situation with members and playtimes? Do you know how often they are raided and if they build mostly during offpeak times?

The people posting here are leaders/builders of towns expressing frustration at the current state of trying to develop quality towns (that meet the "don't look boxy/ugly" rules of the server, btw) while undergoing constant raids. Raids that are often conducted by players who ARE NOT building towns and can therefore focus on mob grinding/pvp and will ALWAYS be better than the builders/defenders that are splitting their times between building, resource gathering and attempting to level combat/crafter ranks as they can.

Yes, "in the end" nice towns probably can be obtained. Will current town leaders/builders have the patience to get to that point while enduring constant raids? Will they be able to keep their people motivated and encouraged so that they will voluntarily endure death after death (and exp loss after exp loss) in order to slowly achieve the "nice town in the end" status? Perhaps, but only time will tell. In my opinion the current server ruleset is leaning so heavily toward a full out pvp/raid heavy focus that building the same caliber of cities that the last map (apparently) had may prove too difficult for many. We'll see.

You have a brain make traps in your town carry a flint and steel better yet a lava bucket.

Yes, yes I do--thanks for noticing. Allow me to return your unnecessarily condescending statement with one of my own:

If you're the type of player who believes that lava buckets and flint/steel are the way to pvp then you and I can agree to disagree right now because we honestly don't have much more to say to one and other. Just because something is allowed doesn't mean it isn't stupidly cheesy and totally against the spirit of the Heroes plugin that the devs worked so hard to create.

Joka10

Soulsand
Sapetey posts in such a nonsensical way because he is not a member of a town currently, and, in fact, is one of the people causing the problem via raids.

I agree completely with what you said.

Sapetey

Stone
Are you actually taking part in the building of a town? Have you dealt with the constant raids with nearly no protection offered as you attempt to build? Do you know what Braavos has gone through to get what they have? Do you know their particular situation with members and playtimes? Do you know how often they are raided and if they build mostly during offpeak times?

The people posting here are leaders/builders of towns expressing frustration at the current state of trying to develop quality towns (that meet the "don't look boxy/ugly" rules of the server, btw) while undergoing constant raids. Raids that are often conducted by players who ARE NOT building towns and can therefore focus on mob grinding/pvp and will ALWAYS be better than the builders/defenders that are splitting their times between building, resource gathering and attempting to level combat/crafter ranks as they can.

Yes, "in the end" nice towns probably can be obtained. Will current town leaders/builders have the patience to get to that point while enduring constant raids? Will they be able to keep their people motivated and encouraged so that they will voluntarily endure death after death (and exp loss after exp loss) in order to slowly achieve the "nice town in the end" status? Perhaps, but only time will tell. In my opinion the current server ruleset is leaning so heavily toward a full out pvp/raid heavy focus that building the same caliber of cities that the last map (apparently) had may prove too difficult for many. We'll see.

Yes, yes I do--thanks for noticing. Allow me to return your unnecessarily condescending statement with one of my own:

If you're the type of player who believes that lava buckets and flint/steel are the way to pvp then you and I can agree to disagree right now because we honestly don't have much more to say to one and other. Just because something is allowed doesn't mean it isn't stupidly cheesy and totally against the spirit of the Heroes plugin that the devs worked so hard to create.
Actually the people in Braavos don't get raided a lot nor do they spend a lot of time defending. They are quite calm. I've seen them build there town with groups of people when there's the most online so stop with your nonsense. Seriously you think solo players with nothing to do have it easy? We get gang banged everyday by you groups from a town or guild. We have it easy you say? People camp our bases or better yet we don't have any support at all. We are single. I'll agree with ur Lava bucket / Flint and steel yet people who decide on how to take advantage of the game wins. Even so I agree with you they already have dropped the damage done from both items. A lower level player could climb a mountain and hit the higher level player down from it. Then slowly climb down to finish him off. MMORPG's give unfairness to higher levels no matter what game it is. Having support or Choosing to be solo is a player's choice. Taking advantage of the terrain and whats given to you is what people will do and should do.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I am sick to death of being f##king attacked and then town camped for hours on end by twelve year olds and their immature bum buddies. So I am going to build a 256 high cobble box whilst I build my town and if admin tears it d own we will build it again. Even then there doesn't appear to be anything you can do when the twelvies who play 24/7 are all master specs because they don't have to pay the bills. I'm sick of having to hide in my house for hours whilst they raid the town simply because one player cannot even begin to defend himself against a single specced warrior let alone a group. Then they procceed to smash glass and cast spells while the glass is broken, forcing me to ugly up my town further without windows. you want creativity in the world @Kainzo want to do away with these ugly cobble walls? THEN take us back to sanctum days, turn PVP off in towns. If people want to fight they will go outside the walls. Some of us are here to enjoy the community that Herocraft has to offer whilst building and going on the occasional pvp trip to find people in the wild. However how can any of us be expected to build towns when we're consistently getting camped by children who apparently have nothing better to do. They kill us first then continue to do so every time we return.

So whilst this continues. I don't believe I can dedicate my time to herocraft if I'm gonna spend 1-2 hours of every night that I get on locked inside a little dirt house hiding.

And don't give me any of that shit about leveling to defend myself. For starters there's no mobs in the world. I don't want to grind so I have no issue with the spawner xp nerf but apparently we can't even create a dark 'cave' to spawn mobs to fight. Honestly whats the issue in these so called "darkrooms".

Yes I'm angry. No I don't care. I want to enjoy my time playing minecraft with a great community but I can't because every time I start on a task I get interrupted by little children who have no lives - who instantly cry wolf as soon as the same is done to them. It's a simple fix, create a zone where we can work without fear of being raped continuously by children, or a least prevent them from camping for hours on end.
I would give this post a winner if I still had my rating ability. I'm getting sick of all the trash talking 12 year olds that come to my town and randomly kill me when I'm a) Building, b) Trying to level in the time that I can actually play Herocraft so I can simply defend myself or c) Minding my own business. Camping (especially so violently, rudely, and obnoxiously) used to be considered harassment, it's sad to see that it isn't anymore.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
I suggest a 5 min pvp dmg immunity where you may still deal damage after respawning from a graveyard, less time if need be. that way you may return to your base and defend it. this would cut back if not eliminate graveyard camping. Also it would require raids to have an end. it would require the raider to run back after their death. or back off and regroup. it would allow for a counter attack as well.

Joka10

Soulsand
I suggest a 5 min pvp dmg immunity where you may still deal damage after respawning from a graveyard, less time if need be. that way you may return to your base and defend it. this would cut back if not eliminate graveyard camping. Also it would require raids to have an end. it would require the raider to run back after their death. or back off and regroup. it would allow for a counter attack as well.
Could be abused...

I think it would be better if kills within 50 blocks of the graveyard didn't count towards titles. That's all they're ever after at the graveyards.

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
or how about town buffs, for people of the town they get buffed in their own town more hp mana regen attack damage.