• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

On the topic of town defense...

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
I am sick to death of being f##king attacked and then town camped for hours on end by twelve year olds and their immature bum buddies. So I am going to build a 256 high cobble box whilst I build my town and if admin tears it d own we will build it again. Even then there doesn't appear to be anything you can do when the twelvies who play 24/7 are all master specs because they don't have to pay the bills. I'm sick of having to hide in my house for hours whilst they raid the town simply because one player cannot even begin to defend himself against a single specced warrior let alone a group. Then they procceed to smash glass and cast spells while the glass is broken, forcing me to ugly up my town further without windows. you want creativity in the world @Kainzo want to do away with these ugly cobble walls? THEN take us back to sanctum days, turn PVP off in towns. If people want to fight they will go outside the walls. Some of us are here to enjoy the community that Herocraft has to offer whilst building and going on the occasional pvp trip to find people in the wild. However how can any of us be expected to build towns when we're consistently getting camped by children who apparently have nothing better to do. They kill us first then continue to do so every time we return.

So whilst this continues. I don't believe I can dedicate my time to herocraft if I'm gonna spend 1-2 hours of every night that I get on locked inside a little dirt house hiding.

And don't give me any of that shit about leveling to defend myself. For starters there's no mobs in the world. I don't want to grind so I have no issue with the spawner xp nerf but apparently we can't even create a dark 'cave' to spawn mobs to fight. Honestly whats the issue in these so called "darkrooms".

Yes I'm angry. No I don't care. I want to enjoy my time playing minecraft with a great community but I can't because every time I start on a task I get interrupted by little children who have no lives - who instantly cry wolf as soon as the same is done to them. It's a simple fix, create a zone where we can work without fear of being raped continuously by children, or a least prevent them from camping for hours on end.

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't see how nice towns are ever going to get built on this map, tbh. To pay such high costs to even get a town and then not be able to make it nice due to the constant raiding/no safety almost seems like more stress than it's worth. If the focus of this map is supposed to be more pvp/risk orientented then so be it, but if we want a nice "realm" feel I'm not sure that's going to happen given the current environment on the server.

Bastion looks good though..so at least we have that.

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
I really enjoyed on zeal townhalls because it gave the townspeople some safety to go afk or talk to people without fear, but now there isn't even much safety in towns unless you make it fugly. But other than that HC is a hardcore server but I am sick of the trolling 12 year olds too that get a fix off putting people down and enjoying the safety that online gaming can give you.

One last thing kainzo could you pretty please leave the town requirements at one set thing I am getting very tired of chasing after mats which I than discovered I don't need. keep up the good work :)

/rant over

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
Its not about AFKing just fyi jazza. Zeal was really good in that regard. Even then having to respawn 1000 blocks away at a graveyard makes life even more inconvenient because the invader just loots your town whilst you walk back.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
While I do think that towns should remain PvP-zones, I think you've gone ahead and stated a sincere concern that many people have. I too think it is difficult to build these days, when people just come to your town and attack. What makes me even more annoyed is when those PvPs go and complain about your town appearance, asking for ''better looking towns''. How can we make a town good if we are constantly being harassed?

I think that the rules should be changed, not to allow permanent cobble boxes, but to allow people to make them while they build their town. Once the town is finished/more secure, then people would have to remove the boxes.

As for people exploiting block lag, record that shit and send it to the admins.

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
I did also have the problem to a minute extent on zeal but because I had bed spawns I was able to respawn fast enough to defend my town whilst they had to spawn further away at their own bed.

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
Another possible idea:

When you first create a town you have a limited time (2 weeks, maybe? Totally adjustable here) to build in a pvp-off status. Your members need to be focused on building the town and it's defenses with the knowledge that the pvp off status is going away soon.

This method will allow the serious town builders time to get something done in a semi-safe environment while still keeping the open pvp/raid feel the staff is shooting for (once the safe time expires its open pvp season again and you better have built some solid defenses). :)

To make things easier than a town by town timer you could start a server-wide pvp off status for towns now (1 week, 2 weeks, whatever) to get towns built up initially and then be done with it. That way it's not such a headache for the owner/admins/devs to keep up with.

Just a few ideas to get some town building mixed in with all this hardcore pvp. :)

MajorasMask

Ungodly
I did also have the problem to a minute extent on zeal but because I had bed spawns I was able to respawn fast enough to defend my town whilst they had to spawn further away at their own bed.

I know, the removal of bed spawning has been very annoying... :(

donaldmax1

Soulsand
Where do we draw the line of Herocraft being a hardcore RPG server and not a creative server?

JDFinal

Legacy Supporter 5
Their should be a sub region in each town. This subregions size depends on the type of town. This is more flexible than the no pvp in town hall, because towns don't have to have this region set up as a town hall.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Their should be a sub region in each town. This subregions size depends on the type of town. This is more flexible than the no pvp in town hall, because towns don't have to have this region set up as a town hall.

I think Kainzo said something about this being difficult to automate with the current town plug-in..

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
Where do we draw the line of Herocraft being a hardcore RPG server and not a creative server?

Hardcore doesn't neccesarily mean no restrictions to pvp and whatnot. What we want is an environment where we can experience pvp but we don't want to be caught building and lose all our hard earned mats and countless hours to these kids that get kicks out of camping your town and taunting you in shout as you hide in your houses wasting time. Sure I could go mine but I cant get out of my house because I just get murdered. Therefore how am I supposed to get my mining equipment and go mining?

What I'm asking for here is an area of towns that might be deemed safe. Lets think typical RPG style game right? Take skyrim, you walk through the wilderness doing whatever you want killing at will when you're in towns you have a town guard that will attack you when you do something bad. I think that in theory towns should have a town guard system which may not be possible yet so pvp-off for the region would reach such a solution, it still allows people to raid but doesn't allow you to engage in camping and ruining the evenings of committed players.

Perhaps even a system where if theres a town and theres say 2 people currently inside the region, when person A shows up to murder those two people he can do so, but afterwards the town reverts to a temporary 10 minute pvp-off phase as a sort of cooldown. (once all "region members" currently within a region are dead)

Herocraft has always been hardcore and still is, I just think we need to put an end to this harrassment. Because you say you want nice towns without ugly box walls and roofs. BUT how can you expect us to do so when we die trying to work without these protections.

Theres plenty of space for people to PVP outside the regions, they do the same at graveyards. Lets make towns a safe zone for their citizens without forcing mega huge ugly walls.

Favith I like your idea's but the second one isn't practicable.[DOUBLEPOST=1347796900,1347796727][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think Kainzo said something about this being difficult to automate with the current town plug-in..

It'd be difficult. No doubt.

But still we can't build with just a small area set aside we may as well stick to the little dirt hut that they cant dig through solution.

As I said we need to re-evaluate the way towns work and perhaps take a look at making herocraft a better place for all. I'm a staunch supporter of PVP - I just believe there's a time and place for all things. And harrassment is not pvp.

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
I agree with MajorasMask here. It's not a question of do we want to balance the hardcore RPG vs Creative aspects (I don't think anyone is asking for Creative status), it's a question of do we want nice towns (a big part of the "RPG" label for many) or not?

If all we want is hardcore pvp/survival RPG that's cool but there's really no point in trying to grow/develop towns in such an environment (especially given the current cost/benefit consideration of trying to grow a town).

Galaxial

Legacy Supporter 4
Town raids were a whole lot harder with Bed Spawning, rather than having to walk back. More of a challenge for the raider, more of a chance for the defender. True fact.

ReedME

Legacy Supporter 8
Town raids were a whole lot harder with Bed Spawning, rather than having to walk back. More of a challenge for the raider, more of a chance for the defender. True fact.

It's true, perhaps bedspawns might be worth another look? The only issue with them in the past was camping of bedspawns but even then you can add a limit so 5 spawns within 5 minutes -> off to the graveyard with you good sir.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
It's true, perhaps bedspawns might be worth another look? The only issue with them in the past was camping of bedspawns but even then you can add a limit so 5 spawns within 5 minutes -> off to the graveyard with you good sir.
This is a great idea.

I remember back in Zeal when you couldn't pvp inside a town hall. Honestly, that was awesome. Although raiders would just sit in there and eat food when they were about to die, it was a great idea. Also about bedspawns, I personally like graveyards more. Because you would just constantly get camped with bedspawns. (Again why I think that it was a good idea) and sometimes, you didn't even end up setting your spawn. Sometimes it tp'd you back to spawn! 2000 blocks away!

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Then they procceed to smash glass and cast spells while the glass is broken, forcing me to ugly up my town further without windows.
Take video of this. This isn't exactly legal.
And don't give me any of that shit about leveling to defend myself. For starters there's no mobs in the world. I don't want to grind so I have no issue with the spawner xp nerf but apparently we can't even create a dark 'cave' to spawn mobs to fight. Honestly whats the issue in these so called "darkrooms".
There is only a limited amount of mobs that can spawn at any one time. Sometimes these get used up by mobs that were in chunks when they were unloaded this don't disappear. When you create a dark room you suck up a large amount of the possible mob spawns making it LITERALLY impossible to find mobs on the surface. This is not just a temporary effect either. When people make dark room it has a lasting effect because people won't light up unused ones and they'll sit there absorbing mobs.

Dark rooms only make mob spawning worse. They are detrimental in every way.