• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Bug Ninja's Backstab

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Well classes like wizard can blink away, necro can web and run and their dots keep back-flip from executing properly, disciples can force push and pull, I'll admit clerk will fail against a ninja but won't all classes beat it mono a mono? Ranger can grapple hook (although not as reliable) and even go toe to toe with a ninja in melee for a short time because all the damage comes from backstab, beguiler can always cause a ninja to drift and will make it die very easily because of that, runeblade can just straight up destroy a ninja mono a mono along with dragoon, bard doesn't go well mono a mono either. There is a counter for ninja in almost everything, you just got to know when to play your cards and what one from your hand to play.
Remember ninja can simply just backflip towards the person, or even use grapplinghook to get closer. Just because some casters have some mobility skills doesn't justify ninja getting something to four shot them. Kiting is part of the game, and even though there should be some thinks to combat it extreme damage abilities aren't the answer.

johnnjlee

TNT
Arena =/= world PvP. They are different.
Agreed, I usualy stick to places with lots of cover to win, however no one has ambushed me yet (probably because of sneak) if you can sneak around after a smoke bomb and wait for him to think you ran off then backstab, or I could use grapple hook with my back to a cliff to fling them to their doom or use it to escape. It would be easier to fight in the world than a cramped arena as long as you use your environment. In the arena I try to use what I can like the pillars or dark spots to my advantage but not to the extent I could.

Last edited:

johnnjlee

TNT
Remember ninja can simply just backflip towards the person, or even use grapplinghook to get closer. Just because some casters have some mobility skills doesn't justify ninja getting something to four shot them. Kiting is part of the game, and even though there should be some thinks to combat it extreme damage abilities aren't the answer.
All depends on if you can get in close enough.

Blink: Actually a decent escape no argument
Web: You're more likely to web yourself too, unless you're using name binds
The Force: Backflip. Also, would require name binds or not being burst down before you cast
Grapple: Go ahead, turn around to shoot your grappling hook.
Guiler: Land your piggify's and beguile and you're fine.
RB: yeah, runes will wreck a ninja usually (Though this match up depends on the player)
Goon: Eh. The armor+Jump means it has the advantage but meh. Goon could lose.
Bard: The only chance a bard has is praying it can get an accelerando off to get away. Bard cannot 1v1 (This makes sense as it IS a support class)

As white said, just cause a skill *can* counter doesn't mean you auto-win.
Just so you know, I have never webbed myself without some sort of meaning behind it, (a shield against melee attacks). That was before finally installing Macroes. And I have only fought a ninja once, and the back stab was ridiculous even though I am only level 21.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Just so you know, I have never webbed myself without some sort of meaning behind it, (a shield against melee attacks). And I have only fought a ninja once, and the back stab was ridiculous even though I am only level 21.
Ok? Not sure what that has to do with this.......
Backstab is ridiculous right now to everyone. Regardless of level.

Ok? Not sure what that has to do with this.......
Backstab is ridiculous right now to everyone. Regardless of level.
Just pointing out, web does not often hit you if you use it right. But yea that back stab should either have a 2 sec cooldown or like a 50% chance of landing if you are giving it a 264% damage increase. I know you are trying to bolester it to be better, but a back stab increase of that proportion is ridiculous. It is almost impossible to react to that if you are caught off guard.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Just pointing out, web does not often hit you if you use it right. But yea that back stab should either have a 2 sec cooldown or like a 50% chance of landing if you are giving it a 264% damage increase.
In the case of a ninja, unless you either lead with web (Which would be a waste) or kit well enough to get distance you're probably gonna web yourself. Ninja's get in your face and landing a web not on you too isn't easy when they're inside the same block as you.

In the case of a ninja, unless you either lead with web (Which would be a waste) or kit well enough to get distance you're probably gonna web yourself. Ninja's get in your face and landing a web not on you too isn't easy when they're inside the same block as you.
I know ninja's are supposed to be a sort of squishy all around kit, but the 11% increase per agility is out of proportion. And that is when you smack them away with a melee and bone spear. Then follow up with web or despair.

Edit: You despair first, smack them away, then web.

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
I lowered these numbers a while ago, not sure if they ever got pushed to live or not.

Xelarator1

Obsidian
Just to note: this isnt a "bug" persay - it was decided to have this increased by the balance team.
"4 shotting a class" -- I actually think this is something that should/could happen if things align. While we do want to keep combat slowed down a tad, we definitely dont want melee swings 4 shotting. So either we need a cooldown on the chance of proccing backstab damage or to rethink how it is handled.

Hitting a target from behind with the Backstab passive means around 260-300% damage increase. This at the moment, is intended.
Well, there is a bug within this "bug", per se:
  • Ninja's Backstab passive adds about 300% damage, as "intended" when the player is NOT (I repeat, NOT) sneaking.
  • When the Ninja IS sneaking, the passive only adds about 54%
At the very least, switch the two numbers so the passive is "correct".