• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New plugin - Clans - thoughts/opinions/etc?

Ahrall

Legacy Supporter 5
@Kainzo I think we might need more information as to what till happen to townships if this is integrated. Will towns as we know them dissapear? Will regions be a thing of the past? I see PvE players not supporting this

Edit: Damn your ninja post

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
@Kainzo I think we might need more information as to what till happen to townships if this is integrated. Will towns as we know them dissapear? Will regions be a thing of the past? I see PvE players not supporting this

Edit: Damn your ninja post
While we direly want to replace and or fix the Township plugin - it will stay in its current form, it will run along side Townships and show as the fabled "guild" system.

eventually, we will either find a protection plugin to mimic townships or integrate the Clans API to allow Townships and clans to place nice.

Ahrall

Legacy Supporter 5
While we direly want to replace and or fix the Township plugin - it will stay in its current form, it will run along side Townships and show as the fabled "guild" system.

eventually, we will either find a protection plugin to mimic townships or integrate the Clans API to allow Townships and clans to place nice.
So "ideally" if everything works out as you would like, we would have a system that has the same (albeit slightly changed/improved) features of the current township plugin AND the features from this new clans plugin?
If this is the case I could see it working out quite advantageously if we could find a way to link towns to clans. Example being when a town is created they can form a clan for their town for all townies to be a part of.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So "ideally" if everything works out as you would like, we would have a system that has the same (albeit slightly changed/improved) features of the current township plugin AND the features from this new clans plugin?
If this is the case I could see it working out quite advantageously if we could find a way to link towns to clans. Example being when a town is created they can form a clan for their town for all townies to be a part of.
yes and no.

Ideally, you could grant clans access to your town. So clans could piggyback protection wise in a town, but I dont think we'd hard-lock town > clans.

More or less, this will give a means to an end for PVPers who just want to pvp, dont care about protections, etc. Clans will be able to purchase the "home" ability and use it, the cast time would be something insanely high like 60s (cant move/combat etc)

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
In my perfect world it would all be one plugin to:
  • Create a Clan - No regions - just an easy way for players to communicate and track each other - PVP tracking, Can be part of a clan at the same time as being in a city.
  • Township - As is exists today, but with the bugs worked out.
  • KOS/Friend a player - Already exists in a good working state.
  • War/Ally an entire Township - Really needs to be added.
  • Townships/Clans as a player group for detectors.
  • Create a Kingdom/official alliance -
    • Without regions - should be automated with 3 or more allied townships. The desired Capitol town would "/town create kingdom" which would send a prompt to the mayors of the other allied Townships telling them to "/town pledge <town name>" to accept or "/town reject" to deny. If successful the grouping would be considered a kingdom and get their channels grouped in TS for easier communication.
    • With regions - "/town kingdom region" would prompt the capitol towns mayor to select the taxes chest and then the plugin would automatically take out the 750000 from the Capitol cities town bank and then create the master region around the townships, making the capitol's mayor the owner. It would then "admin free" withdraw the taxes from the selected chest once a week at the designated time.
EDIT:
We don't live in my perfect world though, so having both plugins running side by side is the best option on the table.

Ahrall

Legacy Supporter 5
yes and no.
More or less, this will give a means to an end for PVPers who just want to pvp, dont care about protections, etc. Clans will be able to purchase the "home" ability and use it, the cast time would be something insanely high like 60s (cant move/combat etc)
Ok this could be interesting. Correct me if I am wrong since this is just my interpretation of the things you have mentioned so far:
Essentially this would allow people who just want to PvP to simply create a clan and not have to worry about the construction/resource cost/upkeep of a town. They could set a "home" say in the personal region of the clan leader, to act as a "base of operations" of sorts but would otherwise not have to feel required to join a town.
While those who want to create build and maintain a town could still do so in the same manner as we do today.

The only issue I could foresee is with the lack of protections people would still look towards townships. Cuz nobody likes their stuff being stolen

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Ok this could be interesting. Correct me if I am wrong since this is just my interpretation of the things you have mentioned so far:
Essentially this would allow people who just want to PvP to simply create a clan and not have to worry about the construction/resource cost/upkeep of a town. They could set a "home" say in the personal region of the clan leader, to act as a "base of operations" of sorts but would otherwise not have to feel required to join a town.
While those who want to create build and maintain a town could still do so in the same manner as we do today.

The only issue I could foresee is with the lack of protections people would still look towards townships. Cuz nobody likes their stuff being stolen
Correct

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
If you're talking about it replacing Towns, how would it appeal to non-PvPers?

Would Herocraft then become a completely PvP-focused server?

Well, if townships or some kind of regioning method is piggybacked on a clans plugin like this one, a fully-functioning clan would need PVPers to do the combat, and people gathering resources/building pretty things/diplomacy/etc to support said clan. Someone who dislikes PVP and likes the other spheres of gameplay on HC would be a good candidate for such a job!

This will probably be easier on newer players. People will kill lostsouls and noobs less if they are worth 0 points. And if this eventually replaces towns a small group of new players will be able to get started more easily

This is probably the most important part. People new to the game will not have a clan and just join up with some buddies they meet. Even when they do move up into a clan, they have no rivals and aren't worth the points compared to active clan wars. They get to choose when they are really worth killing.

With any luck it will end those fake kill streak title gains.

I feel like we're trying to make things simpler but it just ends up more complicated. Sort of how the internet was suppose to make the world smaller but it just made it larger.

I think if the plugins were simpler and didn't get in the way of actual diplomacy/roleplay it would be more complicated in a good way! 3 years ago towns honored alliances and helped each other despite their differences against common foes. Now they just build boxes or put all the good stuff undergorund. Clans could surge roleplay.

In my perfect world it would all be one plugin to:
  • Create a Clan - No regions - just an easy way for players to communicate and track each other - PVP tracking, Can be part of a clan at the same time as being in a city.
  • Township - As is exists today, but with the bugs worked out.
  • KOS/Friend a player - Already exists in a good working state.
  • War/Ally an entire Township - Really needs to be added.
  • Townships/Clans as a player group for detectors.
  • Create a Kingdom/official alliance -
    • Without regions - should be automated with 3 or more allied townships. The desired Capitol town would "/town create kingdom" which would send a prompt to the mayors of the other allied Townships telling them to "/town pledge <town name>" to accept or "/town reject" to deny. If successful the grouping would be considered a kingdom and get their channels grouped in TS for easier communication.
    • With regions - "/town kingdom region" would prompt the capitol towns mayor to select the taxes chest and then the plugin would automatically take out the 750000 from the Capitol cities town bank and then create the master region around the townships, making the capitol's mayor the owner. It would then "admin free" withdraw the taxes from the selected chest once a week at the designated time.
EDIT:
We don't live in my perfect world though, so having both plugins running side by side is the best option on the table.

Your perfect world is pretty good. I may be biased on this one, but Warframe has a cool approach to clans where you can make one for free, but are severely limited to how many can join and what you can do. You can upgrade to increase your size after the fact much like how town upgrades work in Herocraft. A starter clan could have no region, and the next step up could have such a small region its just a glorified guild hall. If that's enough for a clan (such as the PVP towns of today that don't build and have barely 10 members) they can stay there and be happy. A huge group like AD would keep going and have regions big enough to encompass the cities you see on Herocraft today. That would increase the number of little forts/small regioned homes and lower the number of big towns. If there were only a few towns of the size we're used to while everything else is small, they would have an even bigger impact. For example, half the towns surrounding Drakenvale in south Haven map are all abandoned. Only Drakenvale is still there and it's huge.

Also, if you are simply a traveling merchant loyal to no clan, you aren't worth killing except for the loot you carry (which could just be an ender chest, for your safety). This clans system could see an increase of free agent merchants not interested in clans.

That would be cool :p

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
@Ampayne2 has created a link between Townships and Clans.

We're going to need Township mayors (or anyone) to go on test and test these commands. This will allow Clans onto Township regions.

>>>> accessible for managers/owners
Code:
/town region setclan <region> <clan name>
/town region removeclan <region>

Last edited:

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
With the clan and new player KDR will this replace current pvp elo? @Kainzo

yeelowsnow

Legacy Supporter 9
Well, if townships or some kind of regioning method is piggybacked on a clans plugin like this one, a fully-functioning clan would need PVPers to do the combat, and people gathering resources/building pretty things/diplomacy/etc to support said clan. Someone who dislikes PVP and likes the other spheres of gameplay on HC would be a good candidate for such a job!

This is probably the most important part. People new to the game will not have a clan and just join up with some buddies they meet. Even when they do move up into a clan, they have no rivals and aren't worth the points compared to active clan wars. They get to choose when they are really worth killing.

With any luck it will end those fake kill streak title gains.

I think if the plugins were simpler and didn't get in the way of actual diplomacy/roleplay it would be more complicated in a good way! 3 years ago towns honored alliances and helped each other despite their differences against common foes. Now they just build boxes or put all the good stuff undergorund. Clans could surge roleplay.

Your perfect world is pretty good. I may be biased on this one, but Warframe has a cool approach to clans where you can make one for free, but are severely limited to how many can join and what you can do. You can upgrade to increase your size after the fact much like how town upgrades work in Herocraft. A starter clan could have no region, and the next step up could have such a small region its just a glorified guild hall. If that's enough for a clan (such as the PVP towns of today that don't build and have barely 10 members) they can stay there and be happy. A huge group like AD would keep going and have regions big enough to encompass the cities you see on Herocraft today. That would increase the number of little forts/small regioned homes and lower the number of big towns. If there were only a few towns of the size we're used to while everything else is small, they would have an even bigger impact. For example, half the towns surrounding Drakenvale in south Haven map are all abandoned. Only Drakenvale is still there and it's huge.

Also, if you are simply a traveling merchant loyal to no clan, you aren't worth killing except for the loot you carry (which could just be an ender chest, for your safety). This clans system could see an increase of free agent merchants not interested in clans.

That would be cool :p

Spot on with that warframe comparison

ShadowRavynn

Max Legacy Supporter
@Ampayne2 has created a link between Townships and Clans.

We're going to need Township mayors (or anyone) to go on test and test these commands. This will allow Clans onto Township regions.

>>>> accessible for managers/owners
Code:
/town region setclan <region> <clan name>
/town region removeclan <region>
Do u still need testing on this? @Kainzo