• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Make Joseph Kony Famous.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
After what I heard they only gave 18% to Africa, the rest went to staff and commertials.
I wouldn't have anything against donating, but they are keeping way too much of the money.
they raised 6 million dollars, and only 1 of those millions went to Africa..

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

Faunherer

Legacy Supporter 4
After what I heard they only gave 18% to Africa, the rest went to staff and commertials.
I wouldn't have anything against donating, but they are keeping way too much of the money.
they raised 6 million dollars, and only 1 of those millions went to Africa..
And 970,000 of that one million was most likely taken by warlords.

0xChase

Stone
I'm playing devil's advocate.
http://mashable.com/2012/03/08/kony-2012-scam/

http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html

Emotional media is the most profound possible. If you can reach someone at this level and invoke a response, you will be seen.
These guys have raised 8 million dollars but have spent 2 million the cause. I think I'm working at the wrong job..

This following quote was not written by me, but:
"The amount of money that goes into the actual ground work is really common. People have this illusion that all of the money they give to a charity goes straight to the part of the charity that tugs on their heartstrings. All things listed on the expense report are necessary in different ways. For example, you start with 2.8 million that goes to the children but video that has been made with the 1.958 million has easily made their money back by now, which is definitely beneficial to the cause. The lobbyists which cost $244,000 are the only reason that troops are getting sent over to africa in the first place, so their necessity is obvious. So now we are up to $5,002,000 that it would be impossible to argue went to waste. I should also mention their highest paid employee (the co-founder) only makes $89,000 a year."

There is a lot negativity going around that is directed towards this campaign, calling it a fraud. That is not really the case—and even if the campaign was a fraud, Joseph Kony is still very real; a veritable nightmare that needs to be taken care of. Going along with the campaign can only help bring him to justice. If you aren't convinced your donated money will be well spent, I believe there is a section on their (Invisible Children's) donation page that allows you to specify exactly what your money goes to.

Of course, Kony is not the only criminal of this caliber out there, and arguably not even the worst—but success would mean one less psychopath in the world, and would be a huge step towards a better direction for humanity as a whole. This campaign is also encouraging younger people like myself, who have historically not been very invested in politics or world issues, to be more aware of global events, and to take action to solve large-scale issues.

So; even if the campaign is a fraud (which I seriously doubt, and most likely is not the case), it is still enormously beneficial.

Oxea

Legacy Supporter 7
There is no way you could basically give 100% of the money to the cause straight up, the country isn't stable enough to withhold that much, how are they expected to produce results when Kony's men could easily destroy say the schools they wish to build for example. Kony could even hold Government bodies ransom for that money as another example. Apart from that, it's obvious other expenses must be paid which has been addressed already.

But the real question again, is why are they raising awareness now after 11 years? It's simple really, the US Govt. want the oil that was recently found in Uganda which has been said to amount of billions of barrels. It's a coincidence, I mean the US. Govt. have sent bogey men to kill this guy and other select targets over the past 11 or do years and have failed (the recent being 4 years ago).

Here's a quote from an article in regard to the Oil scenario from the NY Times:
Uganda’s Parliament voted in an emergency session in mid-October to freeze all oil contracts and begin investigations of the country’s prime minister, internal affairs minister and foreign minister, all of whom are close to the president and have been accused of taking money from Tullow Oil, a British company in Uganda that was scheduled to complete a $2.9 billion deal with the Ugandan government and two other companies to produce Uganda’s oil. Tullow has denied the accusations.

So basically the West just want their hands on the oil, on profit. Our Governments have begun dealing with them only when profit is involved, making a case by causing outrage among the people because of atrocities caused to innocents, yet it has been going on for over a decade, so why is it raised now?, look at recent events in the country and you can see as clear as day why the west is taking an interest only now after tens of thousands have died already, for money. Why not hey? It's a third world country, we'll just play Superhero, save the day and make commission on the side too (oil).

What's stopping them from bombing the shit out of his HQ regardless of innocent children etc and putting and end to him, no one has to know, let alone the truth anyway.