• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Lets talk about grief (new map)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMJay

Portal
You shouldn't be at risk of having all your items removed from existence simply because LWC's exist. They are expensive and limited. Chests don't have to regen as long as blocks could drop.

If they drop than you can risk getting some back.
I don't see the problem. Lwcs are obtainable. If you want 100% protection lwcs or a town. Maybe add a vault claim where a town can claim an area inside of it for coins. This area would be tnt immune. (Incentive for towns over pr's)

xMJay

Portal
There are also ways to prevent raids. Keep ur base hidden. Don't afk there, so you aren't tracked. Build anti-tnt walls. Half slabs/water/regen walls/multiple walls. You can only be raised when you are in your region, correct? If that is true you always can patch up holes they blow up if you are outmanned. Tnt does take time to collect.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
There are also ways to prevent raids. Keep ur base hidden. Don't afk there, so you aren't tracked. Build anti-tnt walls. Half slabs/water/regen walls/multiple walls. You can only be raised when you are in your region, correct? If that is true you always can patch up holes they blow up if you are outmanned. Tnt does take time to collect.
My issue is its still wrong for items to be sent to the void because you didn't make 50 tick anti tnt walls.

Teslanut

TNT
In the old map where we allowed TNT, didn't LWC's also provide a protection bubble of like 6 blocks or something? That means you can have an LWC, put a chest on top of it and one each left and right and all will be protected.

xMJay

Portal
In the old map where we allowed TNT, didn't LWC's also provide a protection bubble of like 6 blocks or something? That means you can have an LWC, put a chest on top of it and one each left and right and all will be protected.
I thought that was fixed for being op. The problem with the old system was that blocks regened too fast. Then again that wasn't too bad as towns were more defensive to raids

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
For the War mechanics and Town portion - we opting in to use Towny Advanced.
This will make a great substitute until Townships 4.0 can be tested and finalized.

The player residence system may still be using GP, I am looking for alternatives now. The major reason behind this is there's no "Central" town commands and other than player sieges its very "eh" to me. Tim and Barb did a wonderful job trying to piece together a system, but there's already one created in Towny.

GriefPrevention doesnt allow for supporter benefits at all so we're working on this system now.

Thanks for reading.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Just to clarify, what are the current blocks that players are allowed to grief/steal during a raid?

I would like to point out that the more blocks that are added to the list as "steal-able" during sieges (I am assuming that is what Beau_Nearh means by steal/grief during raids) the fewer blocks people will use in their buildings.

I love to build myself, so I hate to keep adding more and more blocks to what may be stolen from builds. Perhaps I can see allowing Diamond, Gold, and Emerald blocks to be stolen (though I'm not even fond of this), but I don't think Iron, Coal, Redstone, or Lapis should be allowed to be stolen/griefed from builds. They are not rare enough to merit this. Also, as I have mentioned, this would mostly eliminate these blocks from being used in building.

Furthermore, if what Beau_Nearh means is to add them to the list of "soft-blocks" of siege, this doesn't make sense for Iron and Diamond blocks especially. They are the toughest materials in game.

I would caution adding so many blocks to the steal-able/grief-able list. Bookshelves would simply break without silk touch correct? And Brewing Stands can only be removed by Alchemists right? Same goes for Engineer's and respective items. I can't remember if these can be broken or not.

If heads can be stolen people will never display them as trophies, but will simply hide them away in chests. What is the fun in that?

A lot of what I am suggesting is that if you add the blocks as items that can be stolen from builds, then you are reducing them to items of monetary value and stripping them of their worth as building/decorative blocks. I don't want this.

I have to admit, I think of myself as a builder as well. However, this doesn't change the fact this will be a PVP focused map with many limits on what players can and cannot do though the hero's system. More specifically, the restrictions that are put on players when creating profession specific blocks. Hench suggesting adding more prof specific blocks to the 'siegeable' list.

This change is also more tutored to the future of townships 4.0 and smaller groups/ solo players who'd like to try and start up their own town (In case you forgot, all regions needed specific blocks to meet the requirements. If you didn't have; a farmer, an engineer or a lot of cash. You was pretty much stumped from the get go).

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Problem that may crop up in the future via GP;

Wolfs that players (mostly aimed at rangers) have tamed will be invincible if they are within the players claimed land.

Solution;

Allow for animals (wolfs) to be killed within any claimed lands (including spawn due to bounties).

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Problem that may crop up in the future via GP;

Wolfs that players (mostly aimed at rangers) have tamed will be invincible if they are within the players claimed land.

Solution;

Allow for animals (wolfs) to be killed within any claimed lands (including spawn due to bounties).
How many tamed wolves have you actually seen on herocraft from ranger?

Beau_Nearh

Portal
How many tamed wolves have you actually seen on herocraft from ranger?

Personally, I haven't seen one. However it still doesn't stop someone beating the odds and having an invincible wolf on claimed lands. (This would sway me to ranger though if it was kept in).

Edit; Its just one less future bug report, lets be honest

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
Regarding towns being invincible or whatnot.

On older maps the world was all pvp, and we also had towns, people had to work together to plan something that would protect them and pvp was still very much an issue.

I remember a time when my town was raided by the Tree Creepers for a week. There must have been hundreds of deaths on both sides. It was glorious. We had 5 v 5, 10 v 12, and even a 14 vs 22 fight. It got to the point that my town built secret tunnels connecting all the houses to an armory under the town hall where we would meet up, arm ourselves and then spring over the walls as a group to surprise the attackers and flush them out of town.

The fear and danger I felt, combined with working together for the defense of the town is something that I have never since surpassed in terms of fun on the server.

Then we had the current map with the pve and pvp sides. It was a noble experiment, however the townships plugin was very difficult to work with and caused some issues.

Now we are going back to a more pvp focused map and I am very happy.

All the discussion of towns building with invincible blocks is irrelevant because of the all pvp map. More pvp types will join, and older ones join back and we will have a lively pvp culture.

People choose to live in a town BECAUSE of the protection it offers. They won't be making souls via item production buildings and housing anymore, so protection is the only reason people would choose them.

Also, TNT on a smp server is never a good idea. It invites greif and crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.