• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Karma System Conception...

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Please note: This is in PLANNING and has not been completed or released.

Karma - WORK IN PROGRESS

Purpose:
To encourage challenging, thought provoking gameplay, with a tidy checks and balance system in PVP on a hardcore MMORPG server. Doing evil things will get you punished at the reward of easy loot, coin gain and 'evil' titles. Like-minded individuals will join together to form organizations and townships to bolster their deeds, whether it be good / neutral / evil. All players would start slightly "blue" / borderlining grey.

Classifications:
RED = BAD (Someone who has followed the path of evil, does evil things, steals/kills neutral & good)
GREY = NEUTRAL (Someone that doesn't have enough influence either way)
BLUE = GOOD (Someone who seeks out evil-doers, protects neutrals and stops crimes)
<RED-|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-------GREY-------||||||||||||||||||||||||-BLUE>
<RED-|||MAX of -10000|||||||||-------GREY-------|||||||MAX of 10000-BLUE>

Positive Modifiers:
  • RED
    • 10k = [Dread] Title
    • 5k = [Infamous] Title
    • 2k = [Devious] Title
    • 1k = Double EXP on BLUE kills
    • Free roam to kill anyone and acquire item/exp.
  • BLUE
    • 10k = [Illustrious] Title - unable to lose coins on death
    • 5k = [Glorious] Title
    • 2k = [Devout] Title
    • 1k = Double EXP from kills RED (Possible)
Negative Modifiers:
  • RED
    • 10k = Level Loss on death
    • 5k = More Exp Loss per Death
    • 2k = Placeholder
    • 1k = Placeholder
  • GREY- on Death
    • Item Loss
    • Exp Loss
  • BLUE
    • 10k = More EXP Loss
    • 5k = Exp Loss per Death
    • 2k = Placeholder
    • 1k = Placeholder
    • Unable to kill without karmic loss unless RED
Karmic Points:
For starters, You start at 0 karmic points. If you kill someone that is GREY or BLUE aligned, you will get say, -10 points. This doesn't immediately move you to the RED alignment. This moves you closer to RED alignment. We can set the amount necessary in order to be aligned with RED Say you go on a killing rampage and you kill 5 GREY, this means that you have -50 karmic points. You would now be aligned with RED.
The scale would look something like this.
<RED-||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-------GREY-------|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-BLUE>

Killing someone within the same karmic influence will yield minimum gains.
Killing someone out of your influence will yield large gains. 5K Good player vs -5K Evil player would mean a massive gain.
Karma decay would mean that all players would slowly slide back to 0 points.

" You have gained 10 Karma points for slaying Sleaker! "
" You have lost 10 Karma points for slaying Kainzo! "

Atonement System:
The gods will allow you to atone your deeds by offering monetary worship or levels.
To gain instant neutrality, you may atone HeroLevels / Coins, in the process, coins/levels will vanish and karmic reset will take place.

Player Use:
/karma pause - stops the gain of positive karm (may have some logic issues)

Logical Exceptions:
Possible disabling of the system for PVP events - so no one has modifiers.
/karma admin global disable - to stop all karmic gain/lost

Karma Leaderboard:
To see the GOOD vs EVIL standings
/karma top good
/karma top evil

Balance:
The system must be somewhat balanced, right now the "evil" players have far out reaching rewards and virtually no drawbacks. We want to reward GOOD players and punish BAD players. The balance would need to also place negative modifiers on good as well as bad players so the system isn't "one sided"

Checking Karma:
"/Karma <playername>" - to check the current level of karma of a player (or if they're evil/good/neutral)
Flagging system (would require Spoutcraft to function properly) - These would usually only be for hours at a time, not necessarily forever.
/karma top good
/karma top evil

API/other plugins:
Sentry - "Good" guards would attack "Bad" players / vice versa
NPCs - Certain quest givers wouldn't talk to "Bad" players, / vice versa
Heroes integration for EXP loss / level loss
Economy for coin loss
HeroTitles - for title grants
Vault - for various other things.

Acherous

Legacy Supporter 9
I can't say I'm too big on coin loss as anyone could just camp a town for hours and make them lose all their money(assuming you mean coin loss on death) but as for the rest of it I love it! I think an actual karma system has been long needed.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I can't say I'm too big on coin loss as anyone could just camp a town for hours and make them lose all their money(assuming you mean coin loss on death) but as for the rest of it I love it! I think an actual karma system has been long needed.
|Planning|

Kimsgrim

Legacy Supporter 5
I think it's a cool idea, give the server some more depth. The first thing that comes to my mind is finding out what alignment a player is, that being your having to stand there, type their name in and find out. Too bad name plates couldn't reflect a person's alignment.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Amazing, but I'd rather not see all of those negatives to being "GOOD".
I can agree with that - and it will be configurable for the administration to set and disable this.

For PVP tournaments and other things - no karma system would be available (disabled)

I think it's a cool idea, give the server some more depth. The first thing that comes to my mind is finding out what alignment a player is, that being your having to stand there, type their name in and find out. Too bad name plates couldn't reflect a person's alignment.
With Spoutcraft it would.

Acherous

Legacy Supporter 9
I'm sure its possible with spout. :p

Edit: kainzo ninja'd me D:

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
I love where this is going so far. But wouldn't this take away the colored names donaters have, or would the alignment colors only show up in game and not in chat?

Digger360

Obsidian
I'm against it, just because I like to kill everyone, I'm likely to lose levels and hard earned coin, just by dying?

Titles mean nothing to me, and getting extra experience means nothing if I'm already mastered, so I'd get purely negatives.

Currently, this just seems restrictive with no rewards, I play here to battle with the unique battle system, if I get punished for doing the things that I like, why should I stay? Should the builders of the server be punished for building? If I'm of "Evil" karma, and I get attacked by people with "good" karma, should I be punished with the threat of extra XP loss, for Wining a battle I didn't start?

To me, the system you propose, would make battle a chore, I'd need to avoid fighting a certain type of karma, so I don't lose hours of time though coin and experience loss.
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a karma system, but it needs to be equal in both loss and rewards; If I'm punished for playing the way I like, why should I play?

Graink

Portal
I agree with Digger; other wise, this is a brilliant system to completely poop on the pvp of the server. "Blah blah" the server's not a PVP server, we know. What I'm saying is none of the current pvpers are ever going to want to waste their time raiding a good/neutral set of players with such high and over exaggerated risks. Most of the time a raid is just to get 1 - 2 kills. Towns are built safely enough; this part of the server is where I can really demote it to a hardcore server from a pvp server, because it doesn't promote any pvp. I love the idea of titles/alignments, but putting a risk on enjoying the game a certain way you like to play is rather lewd.

The "Evil" fighters are going to most likely be the more skilled pvpers and skilled fighters. By this logic, (I'm taking Digger's example) the better builders should also be at more of a risk - and by building a shit box in the middle of nowhere, you should be granted rewards out your ass.

I know this system needs tweeking, and it's not going to be out until it's completely configured right? Just like the auto town system was bug free on its release.

The system just rewards everyone who doesn't leave their town. The people who mine all day, never venture out past the edge of their town. None of these players have experienced the actual world, or seen any other towns usually. This is a problem to me because they're not working for shit, and they get all the rewards put on their backs when they slay 1 single person.

In my opinion, if this is implemented for real, and you're not just trolling the active fighting force of HC, I think that you should lose karma for killing animals too. That way not only the active, moving players of the server are harmed, but the lazy, town camping farmers get shit on too.

Pampita

Legacy Supporter 3
I agree with Digger; other wise, this is a brilliant system to completely poop on the pvp of the server. "Blah blah" the server's not a PVP server, we know. What I'm saying is none of the current pvpers are ever going to want to waste their time raiding a good/neutral set of players with such high and over exaggerated risks. Most of the time a raid is just to get 1 - 2 kills. Towns are built safely enough; this part of the server is where I can really demote it to a hardcore server from a pvp server, because it doesn't promote any pvp. I love the idea of titles/alignments, but putting a risk on enjoying the game a certain way you like to play is rather lewd.

The "Evil" fighters are going to most likely be the more skilled pvpers and skilled fighters. By this logic, (I'm taking Digger's example) the better builders should also be at more of a risk - and by building a shit box in the middle of nowhere, you should be granted rewards out your ass.

I know this system needs tweeking, and it's not going to be out until it's completely configured right? Just like the auto town system was bug free on its release.

The system just rewards everyone who doesn't leave their town. The people who mine all day, never venture out past the edge of their town. None of these players have experienced the actual world, or seen any other towns usually. This is a problem to me because they're not working for shit, and they get all the rewards put on their backs when they slay 1 single person.

In my opinion, if this is implemented for real, and you're not just trolling the active fighting force of HC, I think that you should lose karma for killing animals too. That way not only the active, moving players of the server are harmed, but the lazy, town camping farmers get shit on too.
Not really, Farmers will get other people to kill them or make another ways to kill them like drowning or burning...

malmenca

Diamond
Please note: This is in PLANNING and has not been completed or released.
Balance:
The system must be somewhat balanced, right now the "evil" players have far out reaching rewards and virtually no drawbacks. We want to reward GOOD players and punish BAD players. The balance would need to also place negative modifiers on good as well as bad players so the system isn't "one sided"

I'm very much unclear as to how u determined "Evil" players have "far out reaching rewards and virtually no drawbacks" and the "Good" players do not? Evil and Good have the same negatives currently, and Good can take coin from evil. Clearly Good is superior to evil. (Maybe not to the extent u want, but plain and simple "good" is better).